Clock foul-up - Southern Hemisphere only?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galeongirl

Galeonbroad
Timezones??

Is Interference automatically changing the times whenever the USA changes DST???
cause I'm still on GMT +1, yet it says it's 11 pm now while it's 10!
this happens every year, and I wonder if there's anything to do about it besides changing my clock manually each fricking time you guys change times!
Is it possible to make a system where the clock changes continent-wise or manually? since technically the clock is incorrect now, since GMT is still the same...(GMT is 9 pm atm)

ah I see, so it can't be set to change with the country and/or timezone you're in?
I changed it to GMT for now, since it's the time now while I'm actually GMT+1...

:hmm: I wonder when we switch DST...

I dont think so, the forum is on U.S. Eastern time so it changes accordingly.

OK, we all know how the clock had trouble processing things such as DST for Southern Hemispherean posters on the old forum, but the new forum seemed to be handling it fine. When we went onto daylight savings last month, it changed appropriately, while we haven't been troubled by Northern Hemispherean daylight savings ending or anything like that.

Until now, it seems. Bizarrely, overnight, it seems our clocks have skipped back an hour. The especially bizarre part is that it seems the timezones have not in fact altered for DST elsewhere, but have in fact just moved back an hour inexplicably. The DST correction is working fine; the base time has changed.

Below is exactly what is happening right now. Keep in mind that until 2am this morning, everything was perfectly fine. I did not notice this until about 2:30, when I noticed my clock was displaying 1:30. A couple of other people from Australia and New Zealand have also observed their clocks have become an hour behind. However, Northern Hemisphere posters I've spoken to seem unaffected.

A BUNCH OF EXAMPLES

Let's assume that the time at GMT +0000 is exactly 0000. Remember, GMT = UTC and never changes. Britain may have DST, but when it goes on DST, it becomes GMT +0100. GMT +0000 is constant throughout the year. Now let's go through some timezones that I've tested.

+0930 (has DST, thus currently +1030)
What the time should be on DST: 10:30am
What is displayed, with "automatically detect DST settings" (presumes DST): 9:30am
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always on": 9:30am
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always off": 8:30am

+1000 (has DST, thus currently +1100)
What the time should be on DST: 11am
What is displayed, with "automatically detect DST settings" (presumes DST): 10am
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always on": 10am
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always off": 9am

+1100
What the time should be, no DST: 11am
What is displayed, with "automatically detect DST settings" (presumes no DST): 10am
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always on": 11am
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always off": 10am

+1200 (has DST, thus currently +1300)
What the time should be on DST: 1pm
What is displayed, with "automatically detect DST settings" (presumes DST): 12 noon
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always on": 12 noon
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always off": 11am

To put it mathematically:

For GMT+x
What the time should be on DST: GMT+x+1 [note: when no DST, should be GMT+x]
What is displayed, with "automatically detect DST settings" (presumes DST): GMT+x [note: when it does not presume DST, it displays GMT+x-1]
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always on": GMT+x
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always off": GMT+x-1

CONCLUSION

The "DST corrections always on/off" setting reveals the problem. Essentially, the forum's GMT, in calculating all of the above timezones, has moved back an hour. When it calculates a timezone without DST, it produces a time one hour behind what it should be, i.e. for GMT+x, it gives GMT+x-1. It is then adding the DST correction correctly, but since the base time is already an hour behind, adding the DST correction only puts the timezone on its standard time of GMT+x, not on its DST time of GMT+x+1. Thus, the problem is not with DST correction, but with the clock's calculation of the base time.

Well, I guess this is more productive than just posting a thread saying 'my clock is fucked up'. :lol: :crack:

I've passed this onto Andy.

Thanks for posting that, Ax...

I'm guessing it has something to do with the North American continent turning their clocks back last night (and the clocks on their servers, too, apparently).

I tried changing from +10 GMT to +11 GMT last night and the time displayed remained the same (ie, an hour earlier than it really is).

Thanks for posting that, Ax...

I'm guessing it has something to do with the North American continent turning their clocks back last night (and the clocks on their servers, too, apparently).

I tried changing from +10 GMT to +11 GMT last night and the time displayed remained the same (ie, an hour earlier than it really is).

Server error sounds likely to me, as if it thought GMT itself should move back one hour or something.

To get AEDT at the moment, go to +1100 and then set "DST correction always on".

In the United States the clocks roll back 1 hour tonight. I am down in South America and they rolled forward a few weeks ago. That being said, lets give the system a week and see how it's working. There is not a lot we can do from the software side of things so in a worst case scenario you will have to make adjustments in your UseCP Options twice a year to account for this. Same goes for people in counties or states that do not observe daylight savings...

The clock doesn't seem to allow for GMT +13. Nothing I do can seem to set a correct time - not even playing with timezones like I can when outside (or inside, whichever it isn't now) US DST.

It's never been right, but in the past I've been able to account for it and fix it.

In the United States the clocks roll back 1 hour tonight. I am down in South America and they rolled forward a few weeks ago. That being said, lets give the system a week and see how it's working. There is not a lot we can do from the software side of things so in a worst case scenario you will have to make adjustments in your UseCP Options twice a year to account for this. Same goes for people in counties or states that do not observe daylight savings...

The thing is, time changes in the US or anywhere else shouldn't affect the malfunctioning timezones. The DST adjustment is working perfectly correctly, it's GMT that is at fault, and that simply shouldn't be happening because GMT never changes. Countries chopping and changing DST shouldn't make an impact on GMT or other countries' times calculated from it. The software should be turning off the DST adjustment for North Americans, not rolling GMT back an hour.

Ah well, if the system can't be fixed and doesn't right itself, I suppose those of us down here are already used to the inconvenience of having to set our timezones to bizarre settings to get the right time, since the old forum software completely didn't grasp the idea of the Southern Hemisphere.

The clock doesn't seem to allow for GMT +13. Nothing I do can seem to set a correct time - not even playing with timezones like I can when outside (or inside, whichever it isn't now) US DST.

It's never been right, but in the past I've been able to account for it and fix it.

Ooh, yeah, New Zealand's rooted by GMT itself rolling back an hour.

You can get the system to display the correct time, but with the wrong date. As I write this post, it's 4:50pm for you and I got the system to display the time as 4:50pm by setting it to GMT -1200 with DST correction always on, but of course, that gives yesterday's date for you and everything will be dated a day behind.

leave it to dr. dré to present this in the nerdiest way possible! :lol:

to be honest, i've never noticed (aside from others pointing it out here) about how it is here or other forums. since i'm in north america it always is correct for me. :D

Well this is weird. All of a sudden the time stamp on my posts now say its 12:12am for me but its really only 11:12pm and I'll be setting my clock back tonite which will actually make my time 10:12pm so is it going to be 2 hours off for me? I think the clock has been smoking too much blue crack!

i'm guessing it's because it's after 2 am on the east coast, so dst is over there. so oddly, it should be the same time for someone in nyc as in chicago, until dst ends here in the central time zone. so in ~3 hours it should be correct for you, once it hits 2 am there.

(this is all just me guessing btw, i'm not smart enough to know about servers and whatnot so i could be totally wrong)

Actually that makes sense since I think interference is based on east coast time.. we'll see if its correct for me in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom