Clock foul-up - Southern Hemisphere only? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 04:56 PM
Timezones??

Is Interference automatically changing the times whenever the USA changes DST???
cause I'm still on GMT +1, yet it says it's 11 pm now while it's 10!
this happens every year, and I wonder if there's anything to do about it besides changing my clock manually each fricking time you guys change times!
Is it possible to make a system where the clock changes continent-wise or manually? since technically the clock is incorrect now, since GMT is still the same...(GMT is 9 pm atm)

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:56 AM
I think it changes automatically

Old 03-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 04:56 PM
ah I see, so it can't be set to change with the country and/or timezone you're in?
I changed it to GMT for now, since it's the time now while I'm actually GMT+1...

I wonder when we switch DST...
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I dont think so, the forum is on U.S. Eastern time so it changes accordingly.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:56 AM
Clock foul-up - Southern Hemisphere only?

OK, we all know how the clock had trouble processing things such as DST for Southern Hemispherean posters on the old forum, but the new forum seemed to be handling it fine. When we went onto daylight savings last month, it changed appropriately, while we haven't been troubled by Northern Hemispherean daylight savings ending or anything like that.

Until now, it seems. Bizarrely, overnight, it seems our clocks have skipped back an hour. The especially bizarre part is that it seems the timezones have not in fact altered for DST elsewhere, but have in fact just moved back an hour inexplicably. The DST correction is working fine; the base time has changed.

Below is exactly what is happening right now. Keep in mind that until 2am this morning, everything was perfectly fine. I did not notice this until about 2:30, when I noticed my clock was displaying 1:30. A couple of other people from Australia and New Zealand have also observed their clocks have become an hour behind. However, Northern Hemisphere posters I've spoken to seem unaffected.

A BUNCH OF EXAMPLES

Let's assume that the time at GMT +0000 is exactly 0000. Remember, GMT = UTC and never changes. Britain may have DST, but when it goes on DST, it becomes GMT +0100. GMT +0000 is constant throughout the year. Now let's go through some timezones that I've tested.

+0930 (has DST, thus currently +1030)
What the time should be on DST: 10:30am
What is displayed, with "automatically detect DST settings" (presumes DST): 9:30am
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always on": 9:30am
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always off": 8:30am

+1000 (has DST, thus currently +1100)
What the time should be on DST: 11am
What is displayed, with "automatically detect DST settings" (presumes DST): 10am
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always on": 10am
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always off": 9am

+1100
What the time should be, no DST: 11am
What is displayed, with "automatically detect DST settings" (presumes no DST): 10am
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always on": 11am
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always off": 10am

+1200 (has DST, thus currently +1300)
What the time should be on DST: 1pm
What is displayed, with "automatically detect DST settings" (presumes DST): 12 noon
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always on": 12 noon
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always off": 11am

To put it mathematically:

For GMT+x
What the time should be on DST: GMT+x+1 [note: when no DST, should be GMT+x]
What is displayed, with "automatically detect DST settings" (presumes DST): GMT+x [note: when it does not presume DST, it displays GMT+x-1]
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always on": GMT+x
What is displayed, with "DST corrections always off": GMT+x-1

CONCLUSION

The "DST corrections always on/off" setting reveals the problem. Essentially, the forum's GMT, in calculating all of the above timezones, has moved back an hour. When it calculates a timezone without DST, it produces a time one hour behind what it should be, i.e. for GMT+x, it gives GMT+x-1. It is then adding the DST correction correctly, but since the base time is already an hour behind, adding the DST correction only puts the timezone on its standard time of GMT+x, not on its DST time of GMT+x+1. Thus, the problem is not with DST correction, but with the clock's calculation of the base time.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Well, I guess this is more productive than just posting a thread saying 'my clock is fucked up'.

I've passed this onto Andy.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
Vocal parasite

Thanks.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Thanks for posting that, Ax...

I'm guessing it has something to do with the North American continent turning their clocks back last night (and the clocks on their servers, too, apparently).

I tried changing from +10 GMT to +11 GMT last night and the time displayed remained the same (ie, an hour earlier than it really is).
Old 11-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #9
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisaura View Post
Thanks for posting that, Ax...

I'm guessing it has something to do with the North American continent turning their clocks back last night (and the clocks on their servers, too, apparently).

I tried changing from +10 GMT to +11 GMT last night and the time displayed remained the same (ie, an hour earlier than it really is).
Server error sounds likely to me, as if it thought GMT itself should move back one hour or something.

To get AEDT at the moment, go to +1100 and then set "DST correction always on".

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #10
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:56 AM
In the United States the clocks roll back 1 hour tonight. I am down in South America and they rolled forward a few weeks ago. That being said, lets give the system a week and see how it's working. There is not a lot we can do from the software side of things so in a worst case scenario you will have to make adjustments in your UseCP Options twice a year to account for this. Same goes for people in counties or states that do not observe daylight savings...

Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:56 AM
The clock doesn't seem to allow for GMT +13. Nothing I do can seem to set a correct time - not even playing with timezones like I can when outside (or inside, whichever it isn't now) US DST.

It's never been right, but in the past I've been able to account for it and fix it.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #12
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
In the United States the clocks roll back 1 hour tonight. I am down in South America and they rolled forward a few weeks ago. That being said, lets give the system a week and see how it's working. There is not a lot we can do from the software side of things so in a worst case scenario you will have to make adjustments in your UseCP Options twice a year to account for this. Same goes for people in counties or states that do not observe daylight savings...
The thing is, time changes in the US or anywhere else shouldn't affect the malfunctioning timezones. The DST adjustment is working perfectly correctly, it's GMT that is at fault, and that simply shouldn't be happening because GMT never changes. Countries chopping and changing DST shouldn't make an impact on GMT or other countries' times calculated from it. The software should be turning off the DST adjustment for North Americans, not rolling GMT back an hour.

Ah well, if the system can't be fixed and doesn't right itself, I suppose those of us down here are already used to the inconvenience of having to set our timezones to bizarre settings to get the right time, since the old forum software completely didn't grasp the idea of the Southern Hemisphere.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #13
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
The clock doesn't seem to allow for GMT +13. Nothing I do can seem to set a correct time - not even playing with timezones like I can when outside (or inside, whichever it isn't now) US DST.

It's never been right, but in the past I've been able to account for it and fix it.
Ooh, yeah, New Zealand's rooted by GMT itself rolling back an hour.

You can get the system to display the correct time, but with the wrong date. As I write this post, it's 4:50pm for you and I got the system to display the time as 4:50pm by setting it to GMT -1200 with DST correction always on, but of course, that gives yesterday's date for you and everything will be dated a day behind.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #14
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:56 AM
leave it to dr. dré to present this in the nerdiest way possible!

to be honest, i've never noticed (aside from others pointing it out here) about how it is here or other forums. since i'm in north america it always is correct for me.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:14 AM   #15
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Well this is weird. All of a sudden the time stamp on my posts now say its 12:12am for me but its really only 11:12pm and I'll be setting my clock back tonite which will actually make my time 10:12pm so is it going to be 2 hours off for me? I think the clock has been smoking too much blue crack!