"chat" threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
....er...I find them pretty annoying (yeah, so I post in the PLEBAns one, but it's not really THAT important to me). Well, I guess one at a time is OK, but it seems like whenever I visit LS, half the threads on the board are just closed chat threads. And now they're starting in ZooCon too. I guess....

1) can we not have them in the serious forums like FYM and ZooCon?

2) once they're closed, can they be moved into the archives (like LS)?

Or they could just go away altogether and we could use chatrooms, IMs, or journal entries/replies for that kind of thing :reject:

Actually I feel pretty much the same way, even though I do like to participate in some from time to time, but people will just argue 'if you dont like them dont read them'. I've suggested to various people many times to perhaps go to the chat room or make a chat room on AIM or something, but no one seems to like that idea.

The Zoo one has been closed and I actually suggested they continue the conversations in one of the threads in Lemonade Stand. Zoo Confessionals is really supposed to be the one forum to have serious discussions about personal problems etc., as well as FYM.

After they reach 500 posts they are closed, and then usually moved later in the day or the next day off the board to a private forum because of the whole server issue thing but I suppose they can be moved to the archive forums instead.

Well, I think that's the point, though, Ange--why can we not keep the chat threads in IO? That is what IO is for, whereas LS, ZC, FYM and the like clearly are not.

paxetaurora said:
Well, I think that's the point, though, Ange--why can we not keep the chat threads in IO? That is what IO is for, whereas LS, ZC, FYM and the like clearly are not.

Yeah. I was thinking this but honestly I never go to IO so I wasn't sure if that was the right thing to suggest. I just don't see the point of chat threads anywhere else. Half the time only like three people even know what's going on and it that's the case, why not use journal entries and replies or AIM or MSN?

IO is getting stupid with the brain thing and such :down:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but does chat leave any history behind? Meaning, if you were to walk in would have the chat trail available to you? Because if you don't, chat really isn't a good alternative to the threads. At least with threads, you can drop in on a conversation, walk out for hours and pick it back up because you know what people have had to say. In conversations that span the globe, it's kind of important to be able to leave a message on an on-going basis. Journals are tied to specific people, threads are wide-open. No one owns the thread.
Just my two pennies.

Doesn't the Lemonade Stand description read " Off-topic forum. Drop in, order a glass of lemonade and talk with other U2 fans about what you're listening to, reading, looking at, watching, or a hobby." ?

Any discussion about whether or not any "chat" threads as you put them, are valid is bullshit. This reminds me of the smoking laws. 1st you can't smoke in public buildings, then at restaurants, then in bars, soon it will be in your own home.

Geez, there are over twenty threads in this forum, most of them aren't even used much at all. You get a couple of "chat" threads in ONE forum and everybody is up in arms! Tough dude, live with it. Its not like we're being nasty and blatantly disrespectful. WE are being welcome and supportive of everyone and their ideas. Its a great place to meet people, talk some random U2 or non u2 stuff and go about our way.

What would you like to have? More "Bono is so hot" "Whats your favorite U2 moment when Bono cleared his throat into the mic" "Vertigo sucks" "Vertigo is best song in history" threads? Where people just destroy eachother and act so f*cking disrespectful that it makes me sick. I can't believe the shit I read on some of these threads. Most of which NEVER get locked or deleted. But, you all question a couple of measely fun threads where some of the posts don't happen to be as thought provoking as "Your opinion is shit, you are a dumb ass, kill yourself, your thoughts are ridiculous, Discotheque sucks and Pop played backwards says Bono is Gay"

Ridiculous. This argument is as worthless as Gay marriage; in a time when terror is at its highest, and economy dropping fast, oil prices are skyrocketing, more and more people are in poverty,unemployed and have no healthcare...people are arguing about Gay marriage and taking precious time on Captiol Hill to do so....just because SOME people don't like it. I'm not for or against it, I just think there are MUCH MORE BETTER THINGS TO TALK ABOUT.

This is the same way I feel about this subject. Ridiculous. When people think of Interference.com ...do you want them to remember the hell that is Where the album has a name & Everything You Know Is Wrong? and not the fun threads that bring people together?

Not smart in my book. You guys run a great site here, thats why I come to it. But stuff like this makes me want to puke. I thought this wasa place for U2 fans to come together and communicate. If you don't like the "chat threads" then add a forum. Simple isn't it?

PowerSurge said:
Doesn't the Lemonade Stand description read " Off-topic forum. Drop in, order a glass of lemonade and talk with other U2 fans about what you're listening to, reading, looking at, watching, or a hobby."

i agree. i never thought of IO as a place for just chatting. the reason why many of us prefer the 'chat' threads to actually going to chat is because many of us are from different countries and aren't even online at the same time due to different time zones, etc...

starsforu2 said:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but does chat leave any history behind?

no it doesn't. sure if you use a program like irc you can save chat logs while you're actually in the chat room, but once you leave you can't follow the conversation.

i don't understand deathbear's threads (i attribute this to when i registered on this site :shrug: ) but you don't see me starting threads about how annoying they are.

So a few people complain about chat threads and Tomer decides to bomb IO with useless fucking "ja" threads. Nice way to fuck it up for some of us who actually enjoy it.

No one took away the chat threads so I don't see the reasoning behind this. If you hate Elvis or Sicy or you want more attention, whatever, being an annoying little shit to everyone else isn't very mature or fair to the rest of us who have no part in it.

Whoa, I'm really confused now :huh: The threads that were in the wrong places have already been moved or close so I guess this discussion is pointless now.

PowerSurge:

1. I'm not a "dude" :rolleyes:

2. chat threads.....gay marriage...terrorism? I don't follow....

I just think there are MUCH MORE BETTER THINGS TO TALK ABOUT

Yeah, as do I, but this particular forum is for making suggestions/complaints regarding this website.

I'm really confused as to where all this bitterness is coming from. Whatever I said that was so offensive to everyone, sorry! Like I said before, the issue I was refering to when I made this thread has been cleared up already and Sicy has answered both of my original questions.

OK, thanks, I kinda figured that but some of the other responses seemed a bit snippety considering the nature of this forum is for suggestions.

I think the chat threads in FYM are discussion and debate threads like all the other threads in that forum. I think they're valuable to FYM because people there aren't looking to pass time and get deeply involved in those discussions. And you could learn a lot from those threads. I don't think chat threads like those shouldn't be left to IO. I doubt they would be taken seriously there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom