Bumping threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zonelistener

ONE love, blood, life
Once in a while - threads that have some humor or relevance (the forever living "Licks Lips" and before it was discovered that a few members were truly offended by it, the "Is F*&$ a bad word") are fun to see every few months. It is part of the history and community we all love and cherish and call Interference.com (blue crack).

I have noticed recently a few people 'jumping" on members who might bump a thread. Some of these member are new, and probably posted in a thread that they saw in the "similar threads" list (great feature).

I am tired of people getting all high and mighty and bitching people out for bumping threads. I understand that some should not be bumped due to issues within the threads (banned members, stuff of offensive or against the membership contract, etc. etc. etc.), but most of the time - they are just getting mad because threads are being bumped. I don't get it.

I am not sure if certain threads can "expire" after a time period - or logged for future reading similar to "Everything you knew was wrong" or something like that???

i wouldn't call august 2002 new, but whatever. i do know that a forum like eykww (heh, too lazy to type out its name) is a process of manually moving every thread (well, whatever threads are supposed to be) over to whatever other forum.

at least that's what i assume. another forum i go to just automatically goes through once in a while and cleans out old posts. there are some general archive forums where stuff gets moved anyway, one for really great threads, one for horrible ones (they say to serve as a learning tool for newbies, to show what not to do). but for every other forum, every post past a certain date is wiped out. i have no idea if they manually delete these or if they can just tell the forum to delete them, though. regardless, i know it's time consuming because that forum was down for several hours while it was happening.

i don't know if this is any help or not though.

KhanadaRhodes said:
i wouldn't call august 2002 new, but whatever.

But if you joined in April 2003, and were interested in :insert topic here:, and saw that other threads were getting merged or closed - or saw an interesting topic to discuss or opine in similar threads menu - you might bump. I don't see what is wrong with that. Especially if it is relevant.

As for the other "Forum" stuff - seems like a lot of work.

There is nothing wrong with bumping threads if it is a relevant topic that someone is actually interested in... and if its done in moderation.

For instance, if someone is bored and decides to bump up old threads only to say "bump" or post a smilie, I can see how that could piss some people off, including myself. Bumping up 3 or 4 old threads in one sitting only to comment with a smilie can tend to annoy other members.

If a newbie bumps a thread that they decide they would like to respond to or have something relevant to say about the topic, there is no problem in that.

An occasional bump for fun or to bring back some fun memories is fine.

If you have a problem with a particular member/members feel free to pm myself or Elvis with your complaints, and they will be dealt with how we see fit.

AngelaHarlem pretty much nailed it with her reply in Elvis Presleys' thread in Lemonade Stand.

The problem with the bumping of some of these old threads is some of the members that have participated in those threads have sinced been banned. This brings up the topic of "where is 'blahblahinsertnamehere' " "whatever happened to 'blahblahblah'" Someone could respond and bring up the bad memories regarding the banning, thus allowing the thread to get ugly. We do not like to discuss the banning of members publically on the board.

Does this clear up your questions/problems?

Back
Top Bottom