banning alters - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 07:48 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:50 PM
banning alters

to avoid running the risk of getting a therad in Zoo Confessionals closed i'm gonna continue this here:

if someones alter gets banned for breaking the rules, why doesn't the user get banned under all names and not just the one?
if we don't let banned members post under alters, why do we let banned alters post under their normal user names?

surely breaking the rules is breaking the rules and is we're going to start judging differently according to standard user names and alters, who's to decide then which name is the real one and which the alter so that these varying standards of modding can be applied.

in fact i think its worse when people break rules under an alter because its quite obviously pre-planned - the person knows what they're going to say won't be allowed or is wrong, so they pruposefully take cover under a different name. its premeditated.

at this standard can i go make an alter now and stir shit up knowing full well that the name digsy will be safe to continue posting under?

it seems a bit of a double standard don't you think?

Old 07-25-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:50 AM
I agree with you, and because Sicy asked that it not be discussed in the other thread-I kept wondering why that person was allowed to post under alters in FYM when they had been banned from that forum. I had figured out the alters on my own (and I believe there has been more than one, might be wrong about that), but I just assumed they had been allowed back into FYM so I never said anything. Still not completely sure if that is the case, but I assume not if I read what was said in ZC correctly.

And I agree with Lies- if you feel the need to create multiple alters over and over again because of issues under your original user name, then you need to take responsibility for yourself and take an honest look at why that is. And not be allowed to just continue creating alters. I just do my best to ignore, but I have observed. It seems like a double standard to me. I thought the FAQ says that if you create even one alter for the purposes of posting in a forum that you have been banned from, that is cause for a possible permanent ban under all names. Of course I could be wrong about that and probably am, I don't know.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:50 AM

My personal opinion:

If a person violates rules under an alter, that person should be banned or suspended, depending on the severity of the violation. The fact that the offending posts occur under an alter is a minor detail...it is the same person, and that person should be dealt with, not just his or her alter.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 07-25-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I thought the FAQ says that if you create even one alter for the purposes of posting in a forum that you have been banned from, that is cause for a possible permanent ban under all names.

http://forum.interference.com/misc.p...=faq&page=5#30

Quote:
In general, using alters to violate Forum Rules/FAQs, voting multiple times in polls, as well as other common sense 'no-nos' will result in the banning of the alters and possibly the banning of the original username. Remember that alters are a priviledge.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Ok, thanks Bonochick
Old 07-25-2006, 09:13 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
My personal opinion:

If a person violates rules under an alter, that person should be banned or suspended, depending on the severity of the violation. The fact that the offending posts occur under an alter is a minor detail...it is the same person, and that person should be dealt with, not just his or her alter.
i agree with that.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #7
New Yorker

Quote:

http://forum.interference.com/misc.p...=faq&page=5#30

i see the word "possibly" was the one used in this case then
Old 07-25-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
New Yorker

Quote:
My personal opinion:

so seeing you're a mod would you not be able to exert that power or does sicy handle bannings exclusively/
Old 07-25-2006, 11:05 AM   #9
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:50 AM
Quote:
In general, using alters to violate Forum Rules/FAQs, voting multiple times in polls, as well as other common sense 'no-nos' will result in the banning of the alters and possibly the banning of the original username. Remember that alters are a priviledge.

Honestly, its kind of tiresome to feel like I am always questioned on everything I do around here. I dont know what else to say except sometimes I just simply have a heart. To give someone extra chances that's been here for over 5 years and for the most part, has not caused major problems. The majority of this person's posts under the alters have not violated any rules, until recently. I've now banned every single alter this person has and yet you people still arent happy. I've already stated in the past that sometimes bannings and suspensions may be handled slightly differently on a member to member basis. It doesnt mean that certain people dont have to follow the rules, and it doesnt mean there is favortism, but I really dont think there is anything wrong with giving someone that has been here for 5 years, paid premium, etc more than one chance. And again, as I've already stated, there are no more chances left for this person.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:13 AM   #10
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by digsy

so seeing you're a mod would you not be able to exert that power or does sicy handle bannings exclusively/
Moderators aren't able to ban or suspend members. Only admins can do that. Admins do consult with mods before acting though, so we are able to voice our opinions on each matter that arises. We have a lot of communication with each other.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:18 AM   #11
Creator of the Blue Crack

Local Time: 06:50 AM
I support sicy in having a 'heart'. Every case is handled uniquely as each case and person is unique. We have rules so that people know what they are up against and what is expected... so that when they are enforced, they've got nothing to bitch about.

Trust me when I say this, it's better to have Sicy incharge of the bannings than to have me doing it. I've got a heart.... but when it comes to some of the crap around here, I dont have much patience... and yes, this is why we (Sicy and I) decided a long time ago it was best for me not to do the bannings.

Joel

P.s. in response to BC's comments.... I rarely consulted with other admins or mods.... unlike how things are done now.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:26 AM   #12
New Yorker

Quote:

Moderators aren't able to ban or suspend members. Only admins can do that. Admins do consult with mods before acting though, so we are able to voice our opinions on each matter that arises. We have a lot of communication with each other.
ah sorry i wasn't certain of the difference, now i know thanks.

and sicy, i'm not really referring specifically to this individual - i coudln't care less whather you ban them in particular or not - this recent case seems to have bought the issue to the forefront and this really is a general enquiry as to what would happen overall.
i appreciate that certain cases are handled differently than others and that this member is now on a last warning - fair enough and thanks for explaining.

while i don't necessarily agree with the policy (that "possibly" word is what gets me and not just in this case but overall) i'm not having a go at you and i don't think its unreasonable to query the topic and the way its handled to get a better understanding of it - we should be able to do that without fear of sending the mods/admins/rulers on the defensive
Old 07-25-2006, 12:27 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:50 AM
There are members here now who have had their alters banned in the past. It's not as if this is the only person to get another chance.

Some people abuse their alters more than others and they should be treated accordingly. I don't have a problem with the word "possibly."
Old 07-25-2006, 12:33 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by digsy

while i don't necessarily agree with the policy (that "possibly" word is what gets me and not just in this case but overall) i'm not having a go at you and i don't think its unreasonable to query the topic and the way its handled to get a better understanding of it - we should be able to do that without fear of sending the mods/admins/rulers on the defensive
Same here, and I wasn't having a go at you or anyone else either Sicy. I can understand why you would feel that way given other situations that have happened, but rest assured I wasn't . I rarely if ever even comment on a situation like this, it just made me have questions. And honestly I had run out of patience with that one in particular, but still had never really done much of anything but ignore and say nothing. I never even contacted a mod even though I think I had more than just cause to (the main one being the FYM issue). I have to agree with digsy, I think people should be able to voice legitimate concerns without people getting defensive.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Seems like alot of potential for double standards to me. Basically, its at the whim of the powers that be here, bottom line. Regardless of how long you have been here or if you have even caused any problems before.