A suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Since EYKIW has its share with heated debates (POPvsATYCLB, critisicm of their setlists and Bono's voice and their music since POP), what if we had a separate forum for all the negativity?

That way anyone who wants can complain there and others can peacefully participate in EYKIW. The title could be "They want their money back".

Haha.. interesing idea but I think that would only invite arguments, and give people an 'ok' to bash each other and/or subjects, and I dont think we want to promote that.

As mods we try to monitor as many threads as we can.. but if they get really heated and/or flaming, anyone can use the 'report this post to a moderator' link and it will alert us to any problems.

how about a separate forum for only positive posts, it could be called its a beautiful day

It'd be better if folks learned to put forward their points with some decorum and respect. Negativity in and of itself isn't the problem, I dont think.

I agree with U2girl.

I'm sure that most people who come to Interference are coming to brighten their day, not dampen it.:ohmy:

So, it's fine if we disagree with each other, but it needs to be done in a NONCONFRONTATIONAL way. In other words, our disagreements should help us to find common ground (understand each other better) and hopefully result in our becoming ONE.:yes:

Does that sound fair? Does that sound sensible? I think it does. I would really like to hear what others think, ESPECIALLY OUR FORUM MODERATORS, since it is their responsibility to keep our discussions just that - discussions, not arguments and personal attacks.:up:

LOVE AND PEACE TO ALL....:hug:

Also, since we have some of our forum mods here, does the advisement (warning?) that Elvis gives the posters about not personally harassing/attacking other posters otherwise their right to post at Interference COULD be revoked refer to ALL our forums?

I know that when we signed up for Interference we had to click on the FAQs (is that what they're called?) and basically agree to post in an unobscene, unabusive and nonthreatening way.

Then why are some posters allow to personally attack others without any rebuke from the forum mod and/or be told that their membership can/will be revoked?

I know that thes are not happy-clappy questions, but they ARE questions that NEED TO BE ANSWERED FAIRLY AND HONESTLY.

I await your response.:love:

I'm refering to the advisement Elvis gives at the beginning of "It's Official...."

Sorry, I forgot to add that. It's been a rough 24 hrs for me at Interference. :angel:

Jamila said:

Then why are some posters allow to personally attack others without any rebuke from the forum mod and/or be told that their membership can/will be revoked?

How would you know if someone had or had not been rebuked? I understand that this can be, and often is, done through a personal message. I believe that's as it should be for most cases. It's effective and it doesn't inflame the situation. (A good "classroom management" technique.)

biff said:

How would you know if someone had or had not been rebuked? I understand that this can be, and often is, done through a personal message. I believe that's as it should be for most cases. It's effective and it doesn't inflame the situation. (A good "classroom management" technique.)

I was going to say the same thing...rebukes (when needed) are not always given in public nor should they be.

And Jamila, if you feel you are being attacked, you can always use the "report post" feature and discuss your concerns privately with a mod.

And I was just going to add that, Bono's American Wife! That's exactly what someone should do, if it really is abuse and not just a difference of opinion.

Just asking a question of the mods - thank you for the info, Sicy.

It just seems that if private "rebuke" IS given to those who consistently do not seem to know how to disagree politely and respectly,
IT DOESN'T WORK WITH SOME FOLKS
because they continue week after week to find new Interferencers to target with their negativity.

Maybe private "rebuke" doesn't work with some folks and pulling their posting privileges is the only way to keep Interference a fun place for ALL OF US to visit.

I'm just paraphrasing what we all signed when we joined this site - hopefully no one thinks that is controversial.

But thanks for the info, Sicy, I guess I didn't think I would ever need the "report post" feature -
I tend to believe the best in others.

:hug: ;) :angel:

Jamila said:
....Does that sound fair? Does that sound sensible? I think it does. I would really like to hear what others think, ESPECIALLY OUR FORUM MODERATORS, since it is their responsibility to keep our discussions just that - discussions, not arguments and personal attacks.:up: ....

LOVE AND PEACE TO ALL....:hug:

This is a major misconception many seem to think here. It never has been, and never will be, a moderator's responsibility to keep the forums free from fighting and all the other negative things that do occur on a too frequent basis. The ability to post in a respectful and curteous manner remains the responsibility of every individual member who agreed to the terms and conditions upon registering here. We are not here to nanny anyone, to censor and control what anyone says, to direct all discussions to healthy ground. You guys choose what you write. The onus of responsibility is solely on every one of us for what we ourselves have written. If you choose to not conduct your posts in a manner which has been set out so many times and is largely nothing more than plain old fashioned common sense, then being as it is still 'just' a forum, the membership can be revoked at any time if members cannot monitor their own behaviour. Think of us as cleaners, not puppeteers. We'll clean up messes as they come about and we will talk to people who might just forget or be having a bad day, or are nothing but shit stirrers.

Jamila said:
Just asking a question of the mods - thank you for the info, Sicy.

It just seems that if private "rebuke" IS given to those who consistently do not seem to know how to disagree politely and respectly,
IT DOESN'T WORK WITH SOME FOLKS
because they continue week after week to find new Interferencers to target with their negativity.

Maybe private "rebuke" doesn't work with some folks and pulling their posting privileges is the only way to keep Interference a fun place for ALL OF US to visit.

I'm just paraphrasing what we all signed when we joined this site - hopefully no one thinks that is controversial.

But thanks for the info, Sicy, I guess I didn't think I would ever need the "report post" feature -
I tend to believe the best in others.

:hug: ;) :angel:

By and large, the mod forums are a busy place where we spend a lot of time discussing the issues that arise on these forums. We spend a lot of time talking to people off the site and sometimes in the threads themselves. No method will ever be perfect, but Elvis has put together a very diversified group of mods who try to tackle every problem from all possible angles. You may see delays in getting rid of troubling issues, and at times there are. We aren't dictators and given that this is 'just' a forum it cuts both ways. We don't want to be total hardarses all the time and do like to give people the benefit of the doubt and an opportunity to consider for themselves whatever point has been raised.

Anything contrary to the private rebuke will probably never happen here as public humiliation is something I dont think any of us would ever appreciate. We might give a warning to a thread or ask people to tone it down, but we'll never have public floggings. :wink:

Thanks, AngelaHarlem, but I never asked for public humiliation of any poster - I wouldn't want it for myself or anyone else.

My contention simply is that we all sign an agreement when we join Interference to act in a respectful (no personal attacks) way with each other and if some posters CONSISTENTLY are reacting to other posters in a way that CONTRADICTS the agreement that they signed when they joined, FOR THE GOOD OF THE REPUTATION OF THIS SITE AND FOR THOSE WHO DO ABIDE BY THE AGREEMENT, there should NO hesitation to remove those posters from Interference - no matter who they are.

That's all I am trying to state - the terms of the agreement we ALL signed when we joined Interference.

Bit I DO appreciate your feedback. That is what we are here for - to discuss things in a RATIONAL manner.

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING.....:up: :hug: :heart: ;)

Oh yeah - and I'm done posting for now on this subject. I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to carry this discussion on longer than it needs to go, but I DO think that this subject needs to be looked regularly to keep Interference THE BEST U2 site around and one that EVERYONE can feel comfortable at.

I try to have the ULTIMATE BEST INTEREST for the success of Interference in mind when. I want us to be a fun and inclusive place for everyone and not a "country club" atmosphere for a few.

I'm sure you all really do feel the same.

So, thanks, sicy and angela harlem, for your feedback - it is MUCH appreciated.

LOVE AND PEACE TO ALL..... :love: :up: :hug:

While we're at the topic of rebuking, was this done in the case of, for example, jick's constant negativity about U2 or shaun vox's constant moaning about ATYCLB?

Because I fail to see any point in negative posting about U2 on a U2 fan forum. (which is why I had the suggestion.)

jick is currently suspended from EYKIW.. does that make you feel better? These things are done in private.. and the mods can be contacted at any time, like I said, if you are having a problem with a specific member.

You can be a U2 fan, but not like certain songs.. it is not that unheard of, and I cant see every U2 fan liking every single song and album U2 has put out. Some people just have a more tactful way of expressing their dislikes than others.

SO... in closing, I dont think we'll be having a forum just for negativity. Thank you for your suggestions though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom