A suggestion - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 06:07 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:03 PM
A suggestion

Since EYKIW has its share with heated debates (POPvsATYCLB, critisicm of their setlists and Bono's voice and their music since POP), what if we had a separate forum for all the negativity?

That way anyone who wants can complain there and others can peacefully participate in EYKIW. The title could be "They want their money back".

Old 06-21-2004, 12:37 AM   #2
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 11:03 AM
Haha.. interesing idea but I think that would only invite arguments, and give people an 'ok' to bash each other and/or subjects, and I dont think we want to promote that.

As mods we try to monitor as many threads as we can.. but if they get really heated and/or flaming, anyone can use the 'report this post to a moderator' link and it will alert us to any problems.

Old 06-21-2004, 03:52 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 01:03 PM
At one time I lobbyed for the argument forum as well... Rebel Song, as it was called.

Meh. Would be me talking to myself really.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:17 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:03 PM
how about a separate forum for only positive posts, it could be called its a beautiful day
Old 06-22-2004, 02:50 AM   #5
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:03 AM
It'd be better if folks learned to put forward their points with some decorum and respect. Negativity in and of itself isn't the problem, I dont think.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:07 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Word
Old 06-22-2004, 02:53 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I agree with U2girl.

I'm sure that most people who come to Interference are coming to brighten their day, not dampen it.

So, it's fine if we disagree with each other, but it needs to be done in a NONCONFRONTATIONAL way. In other words, our disagreements should help us to find common ground (understand each other better) and hopefully result in our becoming ONE.

Does that sound fair? Does that sound sensible? I think it does. I would really like to hear what others think, ESPECIALLY OUR FORUM MODERATORS, since it is their responsibility to keep our discussions just that - discussions, not arguments and personal attacks.

LOVE AND PEACE TO ALL....
Old 06-22-2004, 03:02 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Also, since we have some of our forum mods here, does the advisement (warning?) that Elvis gives the posters about not personally harassing/attacking other posters otherwise their right to post at Interference COULD be revoked refer to ALL our forums?

I know that when we signed up for Interference we had to click on the FAQs (is that what they're called?) and basically agree to post in an unobscene, unabusive and nonthreatening way.

Then why are some posters allow to personally attack others without any rebuke from the forum mod and/or be told that their membership can/will be revoked?

I know that thes are not happy-clappy questions, but they ARE questions that NEED TO BE ANSWERED FAIRLY AND HONESTLY.

I await your response.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:04 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm refering to the advisement Elvis gives at the beginning of "It's Official...."

Sorry, I forgot to add that. It's been a rough 24 hrs for me at Interference.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:31 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila

Then why are some posters allow to personally attack others without any rebuke from the forum mod and/or be told that their membership can/will be revoked?

How would you know if someone had or had not been rebuked? I understand that this can be, and often is, done through a personal message. I believe that's as it should be for most cases. It's effective and it doesn't inflame the situation. (A good "classroom management" technique.)
Old 06-22-2004, 04:43 PM   #11
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by biff

How would you know if someone had or had not been rebuked? I understand that this can be, and often is, done through a personal message. I believe that's as it should be for most cases. It's effective and it doesn't inflame the situation. (A good "classroom management" technique.)

I was going to say the same thing...rebukes (when needed) are not always given in public nor should they be.

And Jamila, if you feel you are being attacked, you can always use the "report post" feature and discuss your concerns privately with a mod.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:03 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

And I was just going to add that, Bono's American Wife! That's exactly what someone should do, if it really is abuse and not just a difference of opinion.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:44 PM   #13
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Yes thank you biff and BAW.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:40 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Just asking a question of the mods - thank you for the info, Sicy.

It just seems that if private "rebuke" IS given to those who consistently do not seem to know how to disagree politely and respectly,
IT DOESN'T WORK WITH SOME FOLKS
because they continue week after week to find new Interferencers to target with their negativity.

Maybe private "rebuke" doesn't work with some folks and pulling their posting privileges is the only way to keep Interference a fun place for ALL OF US to visit.

I'm just paraphrasing what we all signed when we joined this site - hopefully no one thinks that is controversial.

But thanks for the info, Sicy, I guess I didn't think I would ever need the "report post" feature -
I tend to believe the best in others.

Old 06-23-2004, 05:15 AM   #15
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
....Does that sound fair? Does that sound sensible? I think it does. I would really like to hear what others think, ESPECIALLY OUR FORUM MODERATORS, since it is their responsibility to keep our discussions just that - discussions, not arguments and personal attacks. ....

LOVE AND PEACE TO ALL....

This is a major misconception many seem to think here. It never has been, and never will be, a moderator's responsibility to keep the forums free from fighting and all the other negative things that do occur on a too frequent basis. The ability to post in a respectful and curteous manner remains the responsibility of every individual member who agreed to the terms and conditions upon registering here. We are not here to nanny anyone, to censor and control what anyone says, to direct all discussions to healthy ground. You guys choose what you write. The onus of responsibility is solely on every one of us for what we ourselves have written. If you choose to not conduct your posts in a manner which has been set out so many times and is largely nothing more than plain old fashioned common sense, then being as it is still 'just' a forum, the membership can be revoked at any time if members cannot monitor their own behaviour. Think of us as cleaners, not puppeteers. We'll clean up messes as they come about and we will talk to people who might just forget or be having a bad day, or are nothing but shit stirrers.