A New Chapter for Interference.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy R said:
No, nothing will change with your subscriptions. We will be looking at ways to bring more value for those of you who subscribe while at the same time trying to give non-subscribers a little more access also. We have not worked out the details but we have started talking about it. After the upgrade and a few other projects we will circle back to this.

Thanks for answering that Andy! I'm very relieved! :D

And, not that I'm stalking you or anything :whistle: :angel: but why do only 2 of your 31 posts show?? What magic is it you possess :ohmy:

:wink:

gluey said:

And, not that I'm stalking you or anything :whistle: :angel: but why do only 2 of your 31 posts show?? What magic is it you possess :ohmy:

:wink:

I bet they (the "power elite" :wink: ) have secret forums where they talk about and laugh at all of us. :grumpy:

Good Luck Elvis. Excited to hear about the change. Have to say I got pretty nervous when I saw the thread title, but no worries.

I have to be the odd one out though...I am not a fan of the blue :yikes:, but if our interference is going to be better, I'll surrive, like I have been anyways :lol:

So, I was looking at the Vbulletin forum. Is the rep feature going to be a part of the upgrade? I've never known quite how I've felt about that on other message boards I've been to.

bono_212 said:
I have to be the odd one out though...I am not a fan of the blue :yikes:

I was actually kind of hoping for lime green type on a bright orange background myself, but no one else I've ever mentioned it to seems to agree. :sad:

Last edited:
Actually it would be cool if there was an option to choose the colour of the background - either blue or white.....to help those at work with evil eyes watching them, get away with surfing the crack :yes: :whistle:

When will the upgrade happen?

Also will we be able to embed video as well as images? Because that would be awesome! (not automatically playing video, but the kind you click to start and don't have to go off-site to youtube for)

And good luck to Elvis.

Sicy said:
A lot is going to be different, as far as the forums, a lot of new features and a slightly different look, but don't worry its still going to be blue. I made sure of that. I know its going to be hard for some to adjust and I hate change as much as the next person, especially since I've seen this place stay the same for pretty much 8 years, but we are in the process of testing the new forum and I honestly think once everyone gets used to it they will love it.

This makes me feel pretty confident about this move. :up:

I also fear change. I love Interference how it is, and I'm a cautious person who hates to mess with a good thing. I'll confess, when I heard about this news for the very first time, my initial reaction was that I was not pleased and I was nervous about what it meant for this place. However, it makes me feel good that Elvis put so much effort and thought into working out a plan to keep this place going. He could have just pulled the plug on everything, but he instead invested time into finding a solution to not only keep this site running but to make it even better. Because of that, it's obvious that Elvis has considered the feelings of the community in reaching this decision, and I think that makes for a good future for Interference. Andy R has been very nice in dealing with the mods and has truly been listening to what we are saying and taking that into account. I feel confident that there will be positive changes that people will benefit from while still allowing Interference to feel like the place we've grown to love.

Wowie, wow wow.............

me no likey change... :(

joel, you will be missed tremendously here.. :sad: I too, want to wish you good luck in your future endeavors..

Welcome Andy...:wave:

Will there be any down time when the site won't be accessible?

I also, like the idea of being able to change the color of the site on the user's end if they choose to..

Whatever you do PLEASE don't use any of the features that zootopia has! Pure CRAP features at that site... UGH... Hate it.:madspit:

Personally I think it's high time we saw some change here! Other than the front page (news) that has changed a lot over the years, this forum really hasn't changed at all! Aren't you guys sick of this shade of blue?? :crack: :uhoh: lol. It will indeed be cool if more summery pastel colors like lime green or even light orange are introduced. Actually, the best thing would be customizable backgrounds! If you like it the classic Interf blue, you keep it that way for your computer. I'll change mine to lime green for a while. But I don't know if that is a pain to implement or what. Anyway, here's a warm welcome from me to the new management and hope things get even better and more interesting! :wave:

Bonochick said:
I also fear change. I love Interference how it is, and I'm a cautious person who hates to mess with a good thing. I'll confess, when I heard about this news for the very first time, my initial reaction was that I was not pleased and I was nervous about what it meant for this place. However, it makes me feel good that Elvis put so much effort and thought into working out a plan to keep this place going. He could have just pulled the plug on everything, but he instead invested time into finding a solution to not only keep this site running but to make it even better. Because of that, it's obvious that Elvis has considered the feelings of the community in reaching this decision, and I think that makes for a good future for Interference. Andy R has been very nice in dealing with the mods and has truly been listening to what we are saying and taking that into account. I feel confident that there will be positive changes that people will benefit from while still allowing Interference to feel like the place we've grown to love.

Ditto :up:

Thanks for all you've done Joel, and all the best as you move on to new things.

Welcome, Andy. Thanks for being so willing to answer all our questions about the changes!

bono_212 said:
So, I was looking at the Vbulletin forum. Is the rep feature going to be a part of the upgrade? I've never known quite how I've felt about that on other message boards I've been to.

I'm going to say no. I dont see any good that could come out of this feature.

Varitek said:
When will the upgrade happen?

Also will we be able to embed video as well as images? Because that would be awesome! (not automatically playing video, but the kind you click to start and don't have to go off-site to youtube for)

It's supposed to be happening really soon.. in the next week or two.

I dont know if embedding will be an option. I havent seen it. I'll let Andy answer this.

COBL_04 said:
can we get strikeout?

I'd like to see this too, but I havent seen this option while testing either. It could be something really simple that can be added.

As far as the colors, I think interference staying blue is important, at least right now anyway. What would we call it then, white crack? Lime green crack? :tsk:

And it took me a bit of time to copy and paste 3 quotes. On the new forum you just click a button by each users post you want to quote and hit reply. This is one of our favorite features so far.

Sicy said:
On the new forum you just click a button by each users post you want to quote and hit reply. This is one of our favorite features so far.

OMG that sounds so much easier!!! :drool:

You guys keep saying it's going to stay blue - which is great but for those of us who work in -ahem- “environments” where a blue web site sticks out like a sore thumb - will there be a way to customize the appearance like other forums I have seen?

I'm not advocating getting rid of the blue, I'm simply asking if there will be an option not to have so much of it if we choose...

Other than that, this all sounds very exciting. :up:

I agree with Sicy, the reputation feature is really not useful on a community this size. The system just gets out of control and does not work well.

I will be able to install the strikethrough BB code and video links will automatically be converted to embedded so you can watch them without having to go to another site.

I will explore ways to offer two styles for everyone to choose from. One will be Blue Crack and the other will have a white background. The issue here is maintaining two themes because each upgrade usually has some templates to revert. So once we settle in to our new software I will study ways to do this with less ongoing maintenance needed.

elevated_u2_fan said:
You guys keep saying it's going to stay blue - which is great but for those of us who work in -ahem- “environments” where a blue web site sticks out like a sore thumb - will there be a way to customize the appearance like other forums I have seen?

I'm not advocating getting rid of the blue, I'm simply asking if there will be an option not to have so much of it if we choose...

Exactly! That's what I'm asking too. Example: last.fm. You can choose.. red or black.

Andy R said:
I will explore ways to offer two styles for everyone to choose from. One will be Blue Crack and the other will have a white background. The issue here is maintaining two themes because each upgrade usually has some templates to revert. So once we settle in to our new software I will study ways to do this with less ongoing maintenance needed.

wow, that was fast! Thanks!

Zootlesque said:
OMG that sounds so much easier!!! :drool:

I'm tellin you guys, that's just ONE of many amazing new features that are going to make everyone's lives so much easier.

I'd love to pipe up with another vote to add a "strikeout" function. It amuses me. :wink:

Also, welcome to Andy! :wave:

Andy R said:
I agree with Sicy, the reputation feature is really not useful on a community this size. The system just gets out of control and does not work well.

I will be able to install the strikethrough BB code and video links will automatically be converted to embedded so you can watch them without having to go to another site.

:nerd:

:lol:
JFWY

I'm untouchable, I'm Mr. BAW
:shifty:

P.S. - Mandatory banning attachment - NO Crack For You! Come back, 1 year!!!

soupnazi.jpg

Last edited:
Axver said:
Interesting. I'm wary of this due to a string of bad experiences of ownership changes, but I'll try to be positive.

I do hope the forum upgrade doesn't add features just for the sake of having more features. We're all familiar with sites like MySpace that are just overburdened by feature after feature. Simpler often tends to be better and clearer. Like Varitek, I'd be interested in seeing an example of another forum already running on the latest software.

I completely agree with this. I've been a member of another forum for many years now (mostly lurking, though), and over the past year they've made a series of ownership and board changes that have essentially killed the spirit of the original community, and, it kinda blows.

However, reading the rest of the thread, some of the new changes sound like they'll be great - specifically, quoting multiple posters without having to copy and paste.

Personally, I'd like some assurance that the current staff are going to be kept on far beyond the new launch of this bigger, better version of Interference. The tone they set is a large part of making this community what it is. I'd hate to see any of them go, and I'd like to know that their positions are safe, as long as they choose to stay, and that we will not be suddenly surprised by seeing them replaced.

Welcome Andy. Please don't mess with us *too* much.

And because it's gotta be said - Elvis has left the building. :( Thanks for everything, and good luck with your future endeavors.

Back
Top Bottom