A Message to Our Readers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
A Message to Our Readers:

As you may have noticed, we have taken down the two interviews we posted with members of the band U2. After speaking with RMP, U2's publicity agency, and conducting our own thorough investigation, we have come to the conclusion that these interviews, and many forum posts, most likely did not come from members of the band so we have decided to remove them out of good faith toward U2 and the U2 fan community. We hope this action will allow all of us to put our focus back on the upcoming album release, tour and all that goes along with it.

It has been almost a month since the first interview was posted and, at this point, we do not know with any certainty whether this situation arose because of a simple misunderstanding or an elaborate hoax. In hindsight, could we have done more at the time of the interviews and posts to undeniably prove things one way or the other? You can always do something more, we made this decision based on our judgement of the entire situation at the time.

Despite accusations, no persons from this staff was or is involved in any misrepresentation or deception on the forums or in interviews. We want all of you to know that we have never, and would never, knowingly post anything false or inaccurate. RMP understands that we did not maliciously post fake U2 interviews and forum posts, and we hope you can as well.

The goal of the senior staff of Interference.com is to bring the best U2 news and original content to our readers. We hope that we can put this situation behind us and can count on your continued readership and support, and that as a staff we can get back to the task at hand-- running this site.

Sincerely,
The Interference.com Senior Staff
Joel Tanner, Owner
Carrie Alison, Chief Editor
Devlin Smith, Contributing Editor
Kate McGrath, PR
Liza Guerra, Designer

Indeed. Why wasn't more done at the time to make sure that it was really The Edge posting? Of course more can always be done, but it sure looks like nothing was done until the issue seeped out into the public eye. Wouldn't a good first step have been to contact RMP to verify the poster's identity rather than doing it a month later? I'm afraid it doesn't add up. What was the proof provided by the fake Edge anyway? I'm guessing it was an e-mail that said, "Hey, it's me, The Edge."

:tsk:

Last edited:
U2SavesTheWorld said:
I still have no idea what is going on.....

Am I stupid?

This broadcast must be so inside that it went right over our heads. :| :|

*still waiting for the we fucked up, and we are very sorry thread to appear*

I was kind of hoping that it really was him. I guess I made a fool out of myself for no reason. I wouldn't have minded making a fool out of myself if it was him. I've done it when I met him. Now I don't know what to think. I just feel stupid that I fell for it. :sad:

ThatGuy said:
Wouldn't a good first step have been to contact RMP to verify the poster's identity rather than doing it a month later? I'm afraid it doesn't add up. What was the proof provided by the fake Edge anyway?

I'm wondering what were the exact steps taken to verify "the Edge's" identity as well.

Last edited:
Edgette said:
I was kind of hoping that it really was him. I guess I made a fool out of myself for no reason. I wouldn't have minded making a fool out of myself if it was him. I've done it when I met him. Now I don't know what to think. I just feel stupid that I fell for it. :sad:

Oh, don't feel bad about that. :hug: I missed the whole thing, but I'm sure I would've fallen for it, too. It's not our fault someone else decided to be a jerk. If anyone made a fool out of him/herself it was the poser! :shame:

dream chaser said:

Oh, don't feel bad about that. :hug: I missed the whole thing, but I'm sure I would've fallen for it, too. It's not our fault someone else decided to be a jerk. If anyone made a fool out of him/herself it was the poser! :shame:

Thanks. :hug:

Edgette said:

Don't feel bad, Edgette. :hug: You certainly weren't the only one who fell for all this crap.

As for the rest of it, still nothing new. I'm glad to see you've finally decided to stop the game and take down the fake interviews and the useless subforum that has been keeping this sick joke alive.

You've claimed you have connections, and if that's true, surely this shouldn't have taken this long to get figured out, not to mention the fact that it never should have occured in the first place.

Why not just apoligize?

ylimeU2 said:

Why not just apoligize?

We are sorry that any of this has happened, and how it has transpired. We said in our 'message', "Despite accusations, no persons from this staff was or are involved in any misrepresentation or deception on the forums or in interviews", and that's the truth. If this was a hoax, which at this time we are unable to confirm or deny, we were just as fooled as anyone else in the end. We believe that at this point in time it was better to end this, than let it continue, in good faith. I'll continue to try and answer some questions about this to whatever capacity I'm comfortable with.

For instance... Were 'The Edge' and 'Dalkey Beach' the same person? YES, as far as we know - this is the internet, and unless we were watching the person type, it's ultimately imposssible to know for SURE.

Joel

Again, I'm just struck by how incredibly unprofessionally this whole matter was handled.

Elvis-

The first thing that should have been done before any interview was published (much less before the faker was given special status) was to verify with official band representatives that it really was The Edge. That, obviously, was not done.

When it became clear that the true identity of the faker was in doubt the best course of action would have been to be more honest and upfront with the members of the site. Issuing weak mea culpas while apparently ensconced in the Fortress of Solitude was not good enough. Closing threads rather than dealing with the issues raised in them also made it look like you had something to hide

Finally, now that the fraud has been exposed, the least you could do would be to apologize for not doing your job by getting validation of the poster's identity from official sources. Extraordinary claims do require extraordinary evidence, and if you did not have such evidence then you should not have run the interview in the first place. Personally, I always trusted and valued the reputation of Interference, and it's sad that I apparently did so more than the site owner himself.

Also, it's nice that you're sticking up for yourself and your staff by stating that no one connected to the site had any involvement in this hoax. However you'll have to forgive us if we don't believe you. After all, you've given us no evidence that your word means anything at all.

Elvis said:

We are sorry that any of this has happened, and how it has transpired. We said in our 'message', "Despite accusations, no persons from this staff was or are involved in any misrepresentation or deception on the forums or in interviews", and that's the truth. If this was a hoax, which at this time we are unable to confirm or deny, we were just as fooled as anyone else in the end. We believe that at this point in time it was better to end this, than let it continue, in good faith. I'll continue to try and answer some questions about this to whatever capacity I'm comfortable with.

For instance... Were 'The Edge' and 'Dalkey Beach' the same person? YES, as far as we know - this is the internet, and unless we were watching the person type, it's ultimately imposssible to know for SURE.

Joel

That's all I wanted. Thank you. I'll shut up about this now.

Elvis said:
I'll continue to try and answer some questions about this to whatever capacity I'm comfortable with.

Maybe this is something you are not comfortable sharing, but why were you so sure that this was The Edge that **you** were communicating with? Just blind hope like the rest of us or something more?

Last edited:
bonosloveslave said:

Maybe this is something you are not comfortable sharing, but why were you so sure that this was The Edge that you were communicating with? Just blind hope like the rest of us or something more?

That's probably what I'd most like to know too.

Elvis said:

If this was a hoax, which at this time we are unable to confirm or deny, we were just as fooled as anyone else in the end. We believe that at this point in time it was better to end this, than let it continue, in good faith.

Just to clarify... is it your position that you are still unsure whether this was the Edge?

bonosloveslave said:

Maybe this is something you are not comfortable sharing, but why were you so sure that this was The Edge that **you** were communicating with? Just blind hope like the rest of us or something more?

question 1... there were many things said in private between this person and staff members that would tend to validate all of this. Some of these things were not public information at the time, and have actually since been published in print. To be completely honest, RIGHT NOW, we are not sure what the ENTIRE truth is, and we may never. Right now, I'm not sure what private discussions we're willing to share... that's something we are, and have been, discussing - and when/if we decide to do so, we will.

question 2... based on q1, I'd have to say 'something more'. I'd also like to point out that it is not as easy as some suggest to get 'official' confirmation OR denial.

Again, in reply to other posts, I'd like to make it CLEAR that if this was indeed a hoax, none of our staff or team members, nor myself, were behind it.

Joel

nbcrusader said:

Unless Elvis obtained something from us based on what he knew to be false, I'm not sure he owes us an apology.

Thanks. The fact is, I'm not sure what I can offer an apology for. We haven't purposely misled anyone at any point, through any of this.

nbcrusader said:

Unless Elvis obtained something from us based on what he knew to be false, I'm not sure he owes us an apology.

It's not that he necessarily knew it was false, it was that he didn't absolutely know it was true.

ThatGuy said:

It's not that he necessarily knew it was false, it was that he didn't absolutely know it was true.

We posted the interviews based on the information we had at the time, which was substantial enough for us to not believe otherwise. Again, at this point, what the TRUTH is... is still unsure and remain to be so. The interviews were taken down in good faith - not because we were told to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom