A Message to Our Readers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course Elvs can be fooled. I actually don't have a lot of trouble believing he was. But the proper thing to do in that case is be open about what happened. For instance, answering my question about what standards he has for verifying stuff like this would be a good start. It's not private info, and it shouldn't take long to do.

I do not know Elvis personally or any of the staff but based on his responses, I believe that he didn't know what was going on and has apologized for his mistake. I also do not know past history as I have only been here for a few months but cut the guy some slack, I am sure that he was fooled like some of us were.

strannix said:
Elvis-

I'm pretty new here, just new enough that I've watched a lot of this unfold. You have to understand that as great as your members make this place, this episode leaves me with a bad impression of the people running it. I don't see how it can't.

The fact of the matter is that we were presented with information and told it was confirmed, when in fact it turned out to be false. I don't see that you're taking appropriate responsibility for that. I understand "proof" is hard to come by, but the bottom line is that if you can't confirm something, don't say it is confirmed. Your best guess doesn't cut it when your credibility is on the line.

You and your staff owe the people on this board an apology, because you didn't do your due diligence. It's quite a cut-and-dried issue; you all said "just trust us", and we did, and we got burned.

I forgot about the confirmed part, thanks for reminding me.

U2girl said:

How about

- avoiding answers and hiding behind the staff, starting with the interview/Dalkey Beach/Edge identity details
- not checking the identity of The Edge (enough)
- misleading readers by saying repeatedly it WAS him and that things WERE checked
- rejecting any debate by repeatedly closing threads
- attacking those who questioned Edge and saying they were assuming too much

Oh and, I don't buy it ALL the staff were tricked, particularly of interest is (but we'll probably never know) what you and Katey know. Interesting several people, including one ex-mod, did enough research on their own WEEKS ago to find out this was not The Edge.

Nice knowing you.

Elvis from my interaction has been known to not be clear on things.

Roland of Gilead said:
Wow! I feel really hurt. I don't know if I should be a part of this fan community. I put my trust in the people running this place.
I don't for one second believe that this was intentional by ANY staffer here, but I feel that, nonetheless, there obviously was a lack of responsibility on behalf of the staff to fully ensure and protect its members from a hoax. As a premium member, I feel it is owed to me that this site shows responsibility and more importantly ACCOUNTABILITY when posting interviews and supporting certain posters as legitimate. As a donater, well, that is a separate story all together.
What can be done? I don't think anything can. The removal of the Band Forum is an answer enough. The rest is time I guess. A hole in my heart, a bitter taste in my mouth, a brusied pride for being played a sucker once too many times. I have enough problems in life. This place is supposed to be my cigar where I can forget about my problems and enjoy what it has to offer. There are problems here. Right now, I am embarassed to be a member here. I hope this is a short term feeling.

I am starting to think that as well. I am not sure if I want to be a part of this community anymore either. I have said that before in the journals but the kind words of others have kept me here but I am wondering about the staff now.

Nate Dogg said:
The world wide web is tangled enough as it is.

Most of the people on this forum appear to be something they are probably not in REAL LIFE.

They post every day and get away with it scot-free.

I'm fine with that. Even if they claimed to be a multi-million dollar rock star.

We'll all be fine.

Difference between this and your analogy is that Elvis runs this site AND excepts money to run it. He has claimed or eluded to have connections and posts information as news that is suppose to be legitimate. That is alot different from someone that is unknown that posts occasionally here. Elvis has a much higher standard, because its his site.

I agree, we will all be fine. In the grand scheme of things this is nothing. But we are for the most part all passionate about U2. So when alot of us feel we have been duped about something regarding U2, obviously we are passionate about it. The consequence of this is that most people are not going to believe most stuff that is reported by this site again. ALOT of credibility is gone. Its too bad, but even if they were fooled, they brought it on themselves for not checking on this thoroughly before giving official status. Its difficult to believe though based on what we have heard that they could not have known or had an idea that this was not Edge beforehand.

strannix said:
But the proper thing to do in that case is be open about what happened. For instance, answering my question about what standards he has for verifying stuff like this would be a good start. It's not private info, and it shouldn't take long to do.

I agree wholeheartedly but fear such a simple and honest explanation of the events will not be presented now or ever.

I don't think anyone needs/wants a detailed report on everything that happened.

A simple paragraph explaining how they obtained this "exclusive interview with U2" and why U2 took the "time out of their busy schedules to talk with them" would suffice.

JessicaAnn said:

As someone who works with reporters to coordinate interviews for clients, I would have to say that conducting interviews via email is more the exception than the rule. Typically print and internet reporters like to conduct their interviews via phone (if not in person) in order to verify the information.

In the last seven years that I have been doing PR, I have maybe coordinated two or three interviews via email. It's just not the way things usually work ... even with celebrities. It certainly would have raised a red flag in my book.

I agree, I am a journalist and most of my interviews are done by phone or in person and if it is by e-mail, it is obtained on the phone with the person etc.

When I did my interview with the Flaming Lips I had to get it verified after with PR even though the interview was done face to face with Wayne C backstage.

Elvis said:

Unfortunately, and truthfully, I was indeed swept away with the tide with everyone else. I did start to doubt certain things at a point and got very suspicious, but was not about to deal with that in public. Aside from IP addresses, cookies, and other information gathered... I have now created a method in which to more properly identify where someone TRULY is located at the time of posting. IPs can be forged, routed, etc... and are not completely trustworthy when it comes to location. For instance.. most AOL IPs say a person is in Virginia, even if they are really in California. I personally use my home IP (by method of VPN) even when I am travelling out of the country.

Joel

I know you were but if you weren't so sketchy and gave people direct answers on concerns and questions than perhaps you would have more support on this matter.

ThatGuy said:

I have heard that there are ways to access the internet when one is not at home. Perhaps I have been mislead.

We do not know Elvis' situation if indeed he was out of town so let's not go there.

Inner El Guapo said:
Elvis, the easiest way to alleviate yourself from the elaborate hoax accusations is to reveal how it was you were duped.

Why not reveal it? People would probably give you more of a break.

One more question, what happened concerning the mods? Did you ban some mods because of this issue?

I agree, we're not that hard ass and would understand more if you should revealed it.

ThatGuy said:

I understand, but like it or not Interference is now a business. Once you started accepting money from people your responsibility to the site increased greatly. And as I'm sure any business owner would tell you, sometimes you have to cut short or interrupt your vacation to attend to your business.

And I'm not suggesting that you had to spend all day on the internet while you were on vacation. Now who's being rude?

I run many websites and the money goes towards servers and maintainence, I make no money off my sites and I am not Elvis' accountant but I don't think he/she is making money off this. However, he still responsible to some extend of the activity that goes on this board.

If a detailed report is being compiled, you can bet it's the official U2 camp asking for it.

Otherwise, we'd all have answers by now.

Is it possible Elvis was fooled? Well it's not impossible but it's sure not probable considering his self-proclaimed web savvy.

What has happened to people here was not only immoral, unethical and unprofessional (things that are not uncommon on the net, especially message boards), but in the context of interference as a business (non-profit or not) it's also illegal.

We'll never see a detailed explanation of the events that transpired leading to the interview and posts by "the Edge".

There are two possible explanations for this:

1.) The evidence Elvis had is so flimsy that he's embarrassed to show it to us now. (ie, an email from TheRealEdge@hotmail.com)

2.) Elvis knew all along that it wasn't the Edge.

That's pretty much it. I hope that the real reason is #1 but suspect in my heart that it's actually #2.

It won't stop me from visiting and posting to Interference though. I come here because of the community, not because of Elvis. In fact, when Interference first came into being I was reluctant to visit.
Elvis made an ugly spectacle of himself on Wire.
He had a reputation for being less than reliable.
But Wire went to hell and Elvis did a great job of building a great site--The fans came and I followed. So he got me there. :wink:

Anyway--the lesson here is not to put much faith in Elvis or the other mods and to just enjoy yourself.

If anyone wants to get away from this drama for a bit since there's obviously no resolution or clear answer, I am posting my song of the day :p

I think everyone has made thier sentiments clear more than once at this point. The question is now: What you going to DO about it? Quit Interference or stay and post about the band?

Piss or get off the pot.

I'm confused.....Elvis says the interview might be a hoax.....like, who did the hell did the "interview"?....Did they just send an e-mail into the abyss and it came back from "U2"? (too lazy to read 16 pages of this thread)

Matthew_Page2000 said:
Anyway--the lesson here is not to put much faith in Elvis or the other mods and to just enjoy yourself.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. I've never had a single bad run-in with any mod here....in fact, I consider two of them to be friends.

I've only had any kind of off-board contact with the aforementioned mods. I'm not "friends" with any of the other mods, I'm not instant messaging with anyone, talking on the phone, etc.

That said, it was clear to me from the beginning that the mods were not involved with this. Flame me if you will but I have no reason to lie about this. Obviously, this is just my opinion but I think we should be careful about lumping everyone into the same sinking boat.

Some of the mod's posts on this subject have expressed the same sadness and frustration that many members are feeling. It seems clear to me that none of the MODS knew what was going on here and I think its bullshit that they are getting slammed by some people (not referring to the post I quoted). There is no reason to bring more people into this then necessary...especially when those in question have done nothing wrong.

If I'm wrong about the mods then I will eat a plastic bag.

*edited because I'm an asshole :angry:

Last edited:
Elvis said:
A Message to Our Readers:

As you may have noticed, we have taken down the two interviews we posted with members of the band U2. After speaking with RMP, U2's publicity agency, and conducting our own thorough investigation, we have come to the conclusion that these interviews, and many forum posts, most likely did not come from members of the band so we have decided to remove them out of good faith toward U2 and the U2 fan community.
Sincerely,
The Interference.com Senior Staff
Joel Tanner, Owner
Carrie Alison, Chief Editor
Devlin Smith, Contributing Editor
Kate McGrath, PR
Liza Guerra, Designer

U2SavesTheWorld said:

I have to respectfully disagree with this. I've never had a single bad run-in with any mod here....in fact, I consider one of them to be a friend......That said, it was clear to me from the beginning that the mods were not involved with this. Flame me if you will but I have no reason to lie about this. Obviously, this is just my opinion but I think we should be careful about lumping everyone into the same sinking boat.

Some of the mod's posts on this subject have expressed the same sadness and frustration that many members are feeling. It seems clear to me that none of the MODS knew what was going on here and I think its bullshit that they are getting slammed by some people (not referring to the post I quoted). There is no reason to bring more people into this then necessary...especially when those in question have done nothing wrong.

If I'm wrong about the mods then I will eat a plastic bag.

:lol: Don't eat any plastic bags on my behalf.
Assuming that Elvis and/or other mod(s) have played a "joke" on us--it does not necessarily follow that all the other mods knew about it. Two of them at least certainly WERE NOT in on it. (Hello Salome and Angela Harlem). And Siccy for instance, seemed to be in the dark--at least she appeared to be in one of her posts.

But either way it's too difficult for most of us lurkers (and I've been a lurker since day one) to keep track of who is a believable mod and who isn't. It's simpler to take all info coming from this site with a grain of salt.

I've been a lurking for a long time but I wasn't here during the other fake Edge incident. Somehow, even reading the explaination by this dsmith person, I still don't completely understand what supposedly happen. It all seems odd. But the most interesting issue no ones' brought up is where did that picture come from that the fake Edge posted? Did the teenager take that photo of him so close?? It kinda looks like Popmart era so that doesn't seem to jive. I guess she could have gotten off the internet??

bonosloveslave said:

Is it me? :reject:

It better be me darn it :mad:

SHIT! BLS!

I just keep forgetting you became a mod!

:banghead:

I'm sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry!

OK, TWO mods!!!

Please accept my most humble apologies!

Shit, we even drank beer together....

:reject:

:shifty:3

Everyone get off Elvis' back.. anyone who knows the band well knows that anything "The Edge" said was not out of line with how he thinks.. i mean come on.. he even defended REM and said they are still relevent (and how hes friends with them), he talked about albums as LPs, theres just so many things that kind of fit into it being the Edge and theres really 2 possibilities here:

1) Wasn't the Edge, person who did the impersonation did an amazing job at imitating him, and even would post messages saying he had to go just before events like the Q Awards, and posting frequency was of a normal un-tech savvy really busy person

2) Was The Edge, but may have said something he shouldn't have (like the "Terrorist" Comment), or band has a contract of some sort or legal department that doesn't want them posting directly to the public so they decided to make it look like a hoax

Lisa71 said:
I've been a lurking for a long time but I wasn't here during the other fake Edge incident. Somehow, even reading the explaination by this dsmith person, I still don't completely understand what supposedly happen. It all seems odd. But the most interesting issue no ones' brought up is where did that picture come from that the fake Edge posted? Did the teenager take that photo of him so close?? It kinda looks like Popmart era so that doesn't seem to jive. I guess she could have gotten off the internet??
I think it was discussed in another thread that it's actually a "PLEBA classic" and anyone with one eye could tell it wasn't a "self-portrait" anyway...the first thing I thought when I saw it was that you could see both his arms. :shrug:

My opinion doesn't make a difference after so many pages of anger and disgust and saddness, but I like to jump on bandwagons so here I go. I'm just very sad about the whole thing. I never really believed it because cool things like that don't happen to me...I am not that lucky a person. I was completely comvinced there was no way when the word "terrorist" was thrown around like it was nothing. That is a serious, serious word, and very bad for PR from the guitarist in the biggest band in the world. I was angry about the money I donated to the server, but I had my reasons at the time...the "Too busy" message was making communication with my friends very difficult. I think I even made a post about "give until it hurts, people!" and I NEVER thought we'd actually be hurt by it. However, I'm here because of my friends...I pretty much live in Lemonade Stand and Journals; I visit Pleba once a week, and Where the Album Has a Name when there's a good download. I'm staying because of the community, because of the best friends I have ever made, because of the good times. I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but it's just a moment, this time will pass. I'm just really sad about the whole thing now; I've been suspicious and angry and disgusted, now I just wish it was the day we all got Vertigo again and we were all gushing about how f***ing awesome it is.

Thanks for the two extra months to decide whether or not I stay premium.

Schmeg said:

I've been suspicious and angry and disgusted, now I just wish it was the day we all got Vertigo again and we were all gushing about how f***ing awesome it is.

Thanks for the two extra months to decide whether or not I stay premium.

YES YES YES:hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom