Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 02:15 PM   #91
Refugee

Local Time: 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis

ThatGuy, in knowing that this message and thread would be posted today, I opted to address things here, and today.
I see.

Old 10-15-2004, 02:16 PM   #92
Creator of the Blue Crack

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
I have heard that there are ways to access the internet when one is not at home. Perhaps I have been mislead.

Both trips were not business trips, nor do I normally plan my trips based on the intention of spending my entire time away on the net. Both trips were of a personal nature and again, my time away was not to dedicated to being on the Internet. Why would one travel just to sit on a computer 24/7... seems like a waste.

FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:16 PM   #93
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by Katey

Nope I have apologized to the person in who I had this conversation with on the phone, I have never claimed to have cell phone communication with the Edge, I might have come across wrong to them so I owed an apology to them for that.

Ah, I see.

Well if Kim simply misunderstood you, why would you feel the need to apologize?
Old 10-15-2004, 02:18 PM   #94

Re: This is so bad it's funny

Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen

Sure, Katey has just said

and after that Elvis is saying

Lies, lies and more lies.

No lies. The person which Katey spoke to misheard her and thought she said Edge's cell phone. Katey has cleared this up with that person.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:20 PM   #95
Refugee

Quote:

Both trips were not business trips, nor do I normally plan my trips based on the intention of spending my entire time away on the net. Both trips were of a personal nature and again, my time away was not to dedicated to being on the Internet. Why would one travel just to sit on a computer 24/7... seems like a waste.
I understand, but like it or not Interference is now a business. Once you started accepting money from people your responsibility to the site increased greatly. And as I'm sure any business owner would tell you, sometimes you have to cut short or interrupt your vacation to attend to your business.

And I'm not suggesting that you had to spend all day on the internet while you were on vacation. Now who's being rude?
Old 10-15-2004, 02:21 PM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:49 AM
I have a question directly for Katey, which I asked THREE TIMES in another thread, but which never got a response.

Katey, in the thread titled Interference Plebiscite, you said:
"Yes I had contact with the Edge, yes my credibility is on the line"

For the 4th time, I ask, What proofs did you require, and what proofs did you receive? It's as simple as that!
Old 10-15-2004, 02:22 PM   #97
War Child

Local Time: 11:49 AM
Quote:
Lies, lies and more lies.
none of my reponse to that or Elvis's were a lie, thank you.
I apologized for her thinking that, and if she felt I mislead her .. Which had nothing to do with this forum, our conversation was based on a different matter all together. Given the reason we were speaking I wanted to clear that up with HER, as she is a great person..thats all.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:22 PM   #98
War Child

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Elvis, the easiest way to alleviate yourself from the elaborate hoax accusations is to reveal how it was you were duped.

Why not reveal it? People would probably give you more of a break.

One more question, what happened concerning the mods? Did you ban some mods because of this issue?
Old 10-15-2004, 02:23 PM   #99
you are what you is

Local Time: 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
Oh and, I don't buy it ALL the staff were tricked, particularly of interest is (but we'll probably never know) what you and Katey know. Interesting several people, including one ex-mod, did enough research on their own WEEKS ago to find out this was not The Edge.
this is indeed a great point

I wouldn't even be surprised if she has gathered more info than has been posted on this forum already

I hope this thread wasn't started with the misconception that it will be over now
hardly any question has been answered yet

mainly:
what on earth made you so certain this was indeed Edge (and yes that can be done without revealing any personal info) that
a. you kept stating that this was indeed the real thing
b. people who had reasons to doubt all of this were just ignored (at best)
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 10-15-2004, 02:24 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally posted by brook

CBS quickly admitted their error when people began to question things and issued an immediate retraction and apology (the whole event lasted less than a week). This would be an entirely different deal if (assuming that you indeed have been duped all along) you had immediately posted a message that while you still believed that this was The Edge posting - valid doubts had been raised by a number of people and you were working to either dispel those doubts or confirm them.

Instead, you and members of your team kept insisting all was well and when people continued to raise questions, they were either trivialized our outright ignored. (I've yet to have a single question I've raised answered anywhere, except in this thread - after I quoted myself to ask it twice.) Thread after thread requesting information were locked without comment, while the poor mods were left twisting in the wind... while over a week went by with no comment or update from you. The fact that you are still stating in this thread that this might still be The Edge is only harming your effort to put this to rest.

You are a victim of your own success. This is now a very large forum and a lot of people are here - and not all of them are going to blindly believe everything you say. This is also a paid site and people expect your staff (albeit volunteer) to behave professionally. People will have long memories on this event.

I'm sure Interference will continue to thrive because it's the community after all that keeps these folks together. I know how hard it is to leave a community like this one. I just hope that you learn something from this.
Many people had doubts, as well as made many assumptions and accusations. We decided to investigate this in private, and perhaps in hindsight... we should have just taken the interviews down, and locked "The Edge's" accounts while we did so - letting people know that we were looking into it and until further notice not to consider it as real. This was a mistake. If we had then determined it be be true or false, we could have then proceeeded accordingly. We have not learned 'something' from this, we have learned MANY things from this.

Joel
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:24 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Inner El Guapo

One more question, what happened concerning the mods? Did you ban some mods because of this issue?

This is a question I'd really like answered....
Old 10-15-2004, 02:29 PM   #102
you are what you is

Quote:

Many people had doubts, as well as made many assumptions and accusations. We decided to investigate this in private, and perhaps in hindsight... we should have just taken the interviews down, and locked "The Edge's" accounts while we did so - letting people know that we were looking into it and until further notice not to consider it as real. This was a mistake. If
yes, instead of doing this you kept insisting that this was indeed The Edge even
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 10-15-2004, 02:29 PM   #103

Quote:

I understand, but like it or not Interference is now a business. Once you started accepting money from people your responsibility to the site increased greatly. And as I'm sure any business owner would tell you, sometimes you have to cut short or interrupt your vacation to attend to your business.

And I'm not suggesting that you had to spend all day on the internet while you were on vacation. Now who's being rude?
I understand why you may see Interference as a business, however it is a hobby for all of us. I do not profit from this site, the memberships mostly just barely cover the costs, the affiliate deals and google ads dont bring in as much as some have assumed they do. I have kept Interference going on the condition that it could cover its own costs, either in the ways mentioned above, or by donations. Interference is anything but a means for me to get ahead, and in the long run has ended up costing me A LOT of money. I do this out of love for U2, the music, and the fan community. Although this really is beyond what you commented on, I wanted to express these things.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:31 PM   #104
War Child

Quote:

I have heard that there are ways to access the internet when one is not at home. Perhaps I have been mislead.
Holy shit man, give the guy a friggin' break. He fucked up, but if he wants to take a vacation for two weeks to visit his girlfriend and not deal with something he graciously offers us for nothing or almost nothing, he bloody well can. His obligation is very small.

After reading all this, all I can think is that it is *just* a U2 message board. As well, the people here make it go round. I don't come here for the content, I come becuase the board is filled with very lovely, smart and intelligent people.

Have some bloody perspective.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:31 PM   #105
Acrobat

Quote:
In the last month, I've been away from home (another state or country) for half of that time (two weeks).... that would have a major part in my 'slowness' of dealing with the situation.
So, let me get your explanation straight. You believed at the time that you did your due diligence. But at the same time, you were away from home and unable to give the necessary attention to the site? No incongruity there ....

Maybe you should start by explaining exactly what your standards were (and are, since they've surely changed) for verifying information. I think that would be very helpful to everybody, and that definitely doesn't compromise any privacy concerns.