A Message to Our Readers - Page 45 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 09:28 AM   #661
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:47 AM
But then what did YOU know? You said you were sure it was The Edge. Why? How? What evidence did you have?

Old 10-21-2004, 09:30 AM   #662
Refugee

Local Time: 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis

There are no facts besides IP at this point. If you can give me some other facts that are evidence I'd be happy to look them over.

And since people here like to get overly technical abot words...

Main Entry: 1ev·i·dence
Pronunciation: 'e-v&-d&n(t)s, -v&-"den(t)s
Function: noun
1 a : an outward sign : INDICATION b : something that furnishes proof : TESTIMONY; specifically : something legally submitted to a tribunal to ascertain the truth of a matter
2 : one who bears witness; especially : one who voluntarily confesses a crime and testifies for the prosecution against his accomplices
- in evidence 1 : to be seen : CONSPICUOUS <trim lawns ... are everywhere in evidence -- Amer. Guide Series: N.C.> 2 : as evidence
Okay, I have some questions to ask you, then.

What was the name that appeared in the name field of the e-mails from the person who claimed to be the Edge>

I know that IP addresses can be faked, but didn't you think it suspicious that the other posters using "The Edge's" IP acted so strangely? Do I have to dig up examples of their weirdness?

And really Elvis, we'd love to see your EVIDENCE that this poster was the Edge. Hopefully it was "something that furnishes proof." Do you honestly not realize that if you were a little more forthcoming with "evidence" this thread wouldn't be filled with everyone's suppositions about what happened?

Old 10-21-2004, 09:33 AM   #663
Refugee

Quote:

I'm not sure which you're talking about... but she references other people KNOWING it was a fake... and this goes back to the whole 'know','fact', 'evidence' comments I've made. I've not heard anyone tell me what they KNOW besides an IP address.

I'm late. I will be back tonight.
At the risk of being accused of reposting a "personal attack" ( ) here was her question (which several of us have asked in different forms):

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I think Elvis's ego is no secret, so it begs the question, how did such a cocky and arrogrant bastard (and you know I say this with all the love my ole heart posesses Elvis) get so fooled?
Oh and I can't WAIT for you to get back so you can answer that question. I'm sure everything will be so clear after that, since you've been nothing but open the rest of this thread.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:34 AM   #664
War Child

Local Time: 08:47 PM
I have some questions:

1. Who was the person who contacted Dalkey Beach?

2. What was the content of that email. Please post it here.

3. What was the content of the reply. Pleast post it here.

4. Please post the content of any other correspondence between "Dalkey/The Edge" and you/your staff that was used to make the decision to create "Official Band Status"

That would consitute evidence.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:35 AM   #665
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:47 PM
Quote:
This whole situation stinks. Given the evidence presented, to believe that Elvis and his content staff were duped by the faux Edge means that you would have to think that they are, at best, stupid.

Well that's the story they are sticking to so I will give them a sign.
Attached Thumbnails
sign.jpg  
Old 10-21-2004, 10:19 AM   #666
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:47 PM
I thought it an apt time to review Elvis' philosophy as stated in the old 'recent ban' thread in this forum:

Quote:

Here is a taste of my philosophy...
Human beings are gifted with consciousness and reason, and as in most modern societies are expected to use those gifts. They are also held accountable for their actions, and often reactions. Occasionally someone makes a choice that they don't properly analyze, sometimes that choice is the wrong choice. Whether that person knew prior that their choice was 'wrong' or not, they are still held accountable for their actions. The Internet, I feel, is no different. Interference.com and Feedback are no different in that respect either. Upon registering to this forum, and becoming a member of this community, each person is assumed to be a conscious and reasonable person, and likewise each person has the undesired opportunity to prove otherwise. Myself, admins, and mods are not here to teach right from wrong, only to keep the forum thriving in the best interest of the community as a whole, and the site. At times we may error, like anyone else, and for this I apologize, as I'd expect any reasonable person to do.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:21 AM   #667
Ghost of Love

Quote:

Aside from IP addresses, cookies, and other information gathered... I have now created a method in which to more properly identify where someone TRULY is located at the time of posting. IPs can be forged, routed, etc... and are not completely trustworthy when it comes to location. For instance.. most AOL IPs say a person is in Virginia, even if they are really in California. I personally use my home IP (by method of VPN) even when I am travelling out of the country.
Fine. Correct me if I'm wrong, then, there seems to be three logical reasons why a person posting emails as The Edge would have an IP based in Chicago/New York

a. they *are the Edge and are posting from Chicago/New York.

b. they are *not the Edge and are based in Chicago/New York.

c. they *are the Edge, are *not actually physcially in the US, and for some reason want to route and forge their IP address thru the US

Now, for my thoughts on all 3 - and this should have been GLARINGLY obvious from very early out:

a. the Edge was in Dublin and Spain whilst all this was going on, according to both news sources and, laughably, the imposter's posts

b. well we now know this to the the truth.? beLIEve.

c. right. The Edge has so much to worry about, knows nothing about how to safeguard himself against a malicious attack on his computer, and neither does anyone close to him (hint: who actually runs the official site)

oh - and d. u2.com never had a word on it. not a word.

Now - exactly why were you fooled again?

I cant believe that in a moment of sheer idiocy I actually PM'd this individual with my life 'u2 story' - and then the next day apologized for the lengthly message. How utterly embarrassing and demeaning.

Oh - finally - I want my money back. LOL

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 10-21-2004, 11:45 AM   #668
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

c) The two people came to me with their problems for help/advice as a personal friend. I wasnt sitting their reading PMs, nor do I ever. Do you think someone at Microsoft sits there and reads everyone's hotmail? I highly doubt it.. yet it's stored in an unencrypted database. I've commented earlier and been quite open with the fact that PMs are private, yet stored in a database (duh), and that I am the only one on staff that CAN access them if need be. 'need be' does not arise that often, but has when at times certain members of the forum have gone missing for awhile, people are worried about them, and ask me to look into it - this usually only comes from our team however. To be quite honest, I could couldnt care less about what people do or say with their PMs, they could as easily send an email, or IM.
You give the members of this forum that no one on your current MOD staff has EVER read Private Messages?
Old 10-21-2004, 12:04 PM   #669
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally posted by iacrobat
Tirades! I'm honoured! I thought I was just offering some perspective.

Come off it DaveC, it is not as if I don't understand how you feel.

Boy, $20 Canadian buys you a lot more than I thought it did.

Yeah - well - you'd be SURPRISED just how much $20 Canadian means to the average Canadian university student going to school in the east coast.

I sympathize completely Dave - and not cause you came to our show lol - Im from the east coast too and I know what its like down there - especially in winter time :S

Cheers mate

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 10-21-2004, 12:38 PM   #670
Refugee

45 pages on, it does seem that either we are never going to get the answers that clearly the majority of people want (besides the number of pages, the number of views in this thread is huge) or, Elvis is continuing to build up all the evidence/answers/alibi's etc. The thread is being somewhat derailed by personal vendettas (on both sides) that the casual viewer (i count myself as one).

Is it realistic to give Elvis more time to get facts straight instead of repeating the same line of questions?

How about we play good cop/bad cop for a bit. We've done the bad cop bit. Although not very likely, isn't it possible Elvis might have been taken in like a lot of people were and just got caught up in the hype like a lot of other people?
Old 10-21-2004, 12:45 PM   #671
War Child

Local Time: 12:47 AM
"As we know,
There are known knowns.
There are things we know we know.
We also know
There are known unknowns.
That is to say
We know there are some things
We do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns,
The ones we don't know
We don't know. "
Old 10-21-2004, 12:52 PM   #672
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Party Boy
Is it realistic to give Elvis more time to get facts straight instead of repeating the same line of questions?
Yes.

But is he actually doing this? He's given no indication that he is. If he is, he needs to tell us when he's going to make this information available.

How about it, Elvis? When is your "document" going to be complete and ready for public viewing?
Old 10-21-2004, 02:32 PM   #673
you are what you is

Quote:

I guess you forgot the forum rules about personal attacks. You don't even know me other than on the 'net, and barely at that.

seriously though
you must have some idea by now of the motives behind your actions from a month ago
it doesn't even take me more than a day to make up my hour declaration form
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 10-21-2004, 03:15 PM   #674
War Child

Local Time: 10:47 AM
To answers martha's question to me:

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
This whole situation stinks. Given the evidence presented, to believe that Elvis and his content staff were duped by the faux Edge means that you would have to think that they are, at best, stupid. There was plenty of evidence at the time that showed that this poster was not the real Edge, but it was either stupidly ignored or intentionally ignored. A recounting of the chain of events (with some specifics) would go a long way in showing which was the case, which may be why the "document" that Elvis claimed to be working on days ago has not yet appeared. I think we deserve to know if we've been lied to or not.

What he said.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:51 PM   #675
She's the One

But why do you deserve to know if you've been lied to or not? What will it change?

You already know that Joel's credibility is shot. You already know that you don't want to send money anymore.