A Message to Our Readers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ThatGuy said:
I have heard that there are ways to access the internet when one is not at home. Perhaps I have been mislead.

Both trips were not business trips, nor do I normally plan my trips based on the intention of spending my entire time away on the net. Both trips were of a personal nature and again, my time away was not to dedicated to being on the Internet. Why would one travel just to sit on a computer 24/7... seems like a waste.

Katey said:

Nope I have apologized to the person in who I had this conversation with on the phone, I have never claimed to have cell phone communication with the Edge, I might have come across wrong to them so I owed an apology to them for that.

Ah, I see.

Well if Kim simply misunderstood you, why would you feel the need to apologize?

Re: This is so bad it's funny

Lara Mullen said:

Sure, Katey has just said

and after that Elvis is saying

Lies, lies and more lies.
:|

No lies. The person which Katey spoke to misheard her and thought she said Edge's cell phone. Katey has cleared this up with that person.

Elvis said:

Both trips were not business trips, nor do I normally plan my trips based on the intention of spending my entire time away on the net. Both trips were of a personal nature and again, my time away was not to dedicated to being on the Internet. Why would one travel just to sit on a computer 24/7... seems like a waste.

I understand, but like it or not Interference is now a business. Once you started accepting money from people your responsibility to the site increased greatly. And as I'm sure any business owner would tell you, sometimes you have to cut short or interrupt your vacation to attend to your business.

And I'm not suggesting that you had to spend all day on the internet while you were on vacation. Now who's being rude?

I have a question directly for Katey, which I asked THREE TIMES in another thread, but which never got a response.

Katey, in the thread titled Interference Plebiscite, you said:
"Yes I had contact with the Edge, yes my credibility is on the line"

For the 4th time, I ask, What proofs did you require, and what proofs did you receive? It's as simple as that!

Lies, lies and more lies.
none of my reponse to that or Elvis's were a lie, thank you.
I apologized for her thinking that, and if she felt I mislead her .. Which had nothing to do with this forum, our conversation was based on a different matter all together. Given the reason we were speaking I wanted to clear that up with HER, as she is a great person..thats all.

Elvis, the easiest way to alleviate yourself from the elaborate hoax accusations is to reveal how it was you were duped.

Why not reveal it? People would probably give you more of a break.

One more question, what happened concerning the mods? Did you ban some mods because of this issue?

U2girl said:
Oh and, I don't buy it ALL the staff were tricked, particularly of interest is (but we'll probably never know) what you and Katey know. Interesting several people, including one ex-mod, did enough research on their own WEEKS ago to find out this was not The Edge.
this is indeed a great point

I wouldn't even be surprised if she has gathered more info than has been posted on this forum already

I hope this thread wasn't started with the misconception that it will be over now
hardly any question has been answered yet

mainly:
what on earth made you so certain this was indeed Edge (and yes that can be done without revealing any personal info) that
a. you kept stating that this was indeed the real thing
b. people who had reasons to doubt all of this were just ignored (at best)

brook said:

CBS quickly admitted their error when people began to question things and issued an immediate retraction and apology (the whole event lasted less than a week). This would be an entirely different deal if (assuming that you indeed have been duped all along) you had immediately posted a message that while you still believed that this was The Edge posting - valid doubts had been raised by a number of people and you were working to either dispel those doubts or confirm them.

Instead, you and members of your team kept insisting all was well and when people continued to raise questions, they were either trivialized our outright ignored. (I've yet to have a single question I've raised answered anywhere, except in this thread - after I quoted myself to ask it twice.) Thread after thread requesting information were locked without comment, while the poor mods were left twisting in the wind... while over a week went by with no comment or update from you. The fact that you are still stating in this thread that this might still be The Edge is only harming your effort to put this to rest.

You are a victim of your own success. This is now a very large forum and a lot of people are here - and not all of them are going to blindly believe everything you say. This is also a paid site and people expect your staff (albeit volunteer) to behave professionally. People will have long memories on this event.

I'm sure Interference will continue to thrive because it's the community after all that keeps these folks together. I know how hard it is to leave a community like this one. I just hope that you learn something from this.

Many people had doubts, as well as made many assumptions and accusations. We decided to investigate this in private, and perhaps in hindsight... we should have just taken the interviews down, and locked "The Edge's" accounts while we did so - letting people know that we were looking into it and until further notice not to consider it as real. This was a mistake. If we had then determined it be be true or false, we could have then proceeeded accordingly. We have not learned 'something' from this, we have learned MANY things from this.

Joel

Elvis said:

Many people had doubts, as well as made many assumptions and accusations. We decided to investigate this in private, and perhaps in hindsight... we should have just taken the interviews down, and locked "The Edge's" accounts while we did so - letting people know that we were looking into it and until further notice not to consider it as real. This was a mistake. If
yes, instead of doing this you kept insisting that this was indeed The Edge even

ThatGuy said:

I understand, but like it or not Interference is now a business. Once you started accepting money from people your responsibility to the site increased greatly. And as I'm sure any business owner would tell you, sometimes you have to cut short or interrupt your vacation to attend to your business.

And I'm not suggesting that you had to spend all day on the internet while you were on vacation. Now who's being rude?

I understand why you may see Interference as a business, however it is a hobby for all of us. I do not profit from this site, the memberships mostly just barely cover the costs, the affiliate deals and google ads dont bring in as much as some have assumed they do. I have kept Interference going on the condition that it could cover its own costs, either in the ways mentioned above, or by donations. Interference is anything but a means for me to get ahead, and in the long run has ended up costing me A LOT of money. I do this out of love for U2, the music, and the fan community. Although this really is beyond what you commented on, I wanted to express these things.

ThatGuy said:

I have heard that there are ways to access the internet when one is not at home. Perhaps I have been mislead.

Holy shit man, give the guy a friggin' break. He fucked up, but if he wants to take a vacation for two weeks to visit his girlfriend and not deal with something he graciously offers us for nothing or almost nothing, he bloody well can. His obligation is very small.

After reading all this, all I can think is that it is *just* a U2 message board. As well, the people here make it go round. I don't come here for the content, I come becuase the board is filled with very lovely, smart and intelligent people.

Have some bloody perspective.

Elvis said:
In the last month, I've been away from home (another state or country) for half of that time (two weeks).... that would have a major part in my 'slowness' of dealing with the situation.

So, let me get your explanation straight. You believed at the time that you did your due diligence. But at the same time, you were away from home and unable to give the necessary attention to the site? No incongruity there ....

Maybe you should start by explaining exactly what your standards were (and are, since they've surely changed) for verifying information. I think that would be very helpful to everybody, and that definitely doesn't compromise any privacy concerns.

I'm sorry to differ with you on this point, but if you are receiving revenue from ads, and charging membership fees - it is a business. It may be a business that breaks even (and we will not know this for certain one way or the other without examining finances), but it is still a business.

You may be willing to have it break even because it's your hobby as well, but the minute you accepted money from your members you made it a business.

Also what was with all the winks and such (the similies). That original band interview had them, the repsonses from the mods in threads had them, are we supposed to believe that all along you weren't convinced it was Edge, yet you allowed it to continue?

A little more transparency, as others have said, might lead others to give you more of a break.

I can understand how you want to provide people with the best information possible and that you may have actually become overtly excited by the concept of Edge posting over here, but if you knew that Dalkey and Edge were the same poster then why was that not revealed until today?

Dalkey has several threads that were ridiculous. He posted an mp3 of vertigo which was actually a cover band doing the leaked clip, he also had a post on the tours forum with a proposed setlist that had songs such as Full Metal Jacket and Native Son in it, not to mention other inaacuracies.

Perhaps, you could have said that "hey Dalkey Beach and Edge are the same poster, we will leave it up to you to decide if you think it's real" Instead you basically endorsed it, and proceeded with an interview, with wink similies and Edge purportedly saying "we will undoubtedly be going into the rock hall of fame this year....." would Edge ever say anything that arrogant? I doubt it.

Hindsight is 20/20, this just looks bad. I hear that you did the same thing for ATYCLB, is that true, where you posed as one of themembers of the band? Is that true.

Just asking questions, man, don't take offense.

U2SavesTheWorld said:

This is a question I'd really like answered....

The issue of the mods is not related as to if The Edge was real or not. It was an independent issue and one that has already been addressed elsewhere. I'd like to keep this thread on topic as it's been. Thanks

iacrobat said:

Holy shit man, give the guy a friggin' break. He fucked up, but if he wants to take a vacation for two weeks to visit his girlfriend and not deal with something he graciously offers us for nothing or almost nothing, he bloody well can. His obligation is very small.

After reading all this, all I can think is that it is *just* a U2 message board. As well, the people here make it go round. I don't come here for the content, I come becuase the board is filled with very lovely, smart and intelligent people.

Thank you. :sigh:

I have a question directly for Katey, which I asked THREE TIMES in another thread, but which never got a response.
Sorry Biff, yes I had direct contact with this Edge via e-mail and my fault in this is not being more vigilant on my end with getting proof from PM. I had believed yes that this was something this Edge was doing in his free time, given the evidence I and senior staff had yes I believed this to be Edge at the time and I really do apologize for that and for not taking proper "official" steps that might have saved members some pain..this is why I apologize

Ok, this is going to come off as hostile, but keep in mind we're pissed right now (including me):

I will ask some questions that I believe speak on behalf of everyone here that have been totally ignored.

1.) What EXACTLY (step-by-step) occurred in the verification of "The Edge"'s identity, and start with what ALL the mods did in terms of ID verification (e-mails, phone calls, etc.), beginning with the posts by "Dalkey Beach", going through the "interview", the Edge postings, and the "Ask The Edge" up to this very point?

2.) Exactly how many new Premium accounts have been created since "The Edge" started posting? I think you need to get in touch with all of those people and offer them a chance to have their money returned.

3.) Tell us, HONESTLY, yes or no, was the removal of Angela Harlem and Salome as mods directly related to their questioning of the identity of "The Edge"?

4.) I would like to hear from each of the staff directly what they know/knew about "The Edge".

Dammit, I want some answers! :angry:

I'm this fucking close to demanding my money be sent back to me. So you better make this good and believable.

Elvis said:

I understand why you may see Interference as a business, however it is a hobby for all of us. I do not profit from this site, the memberships mostly just barely cover the costs, the affiliate deals and google ads dont bring in as much as some have assumed they do. I have kept Interference going on the condition that it could cover its own costs, either in the ways mentioned above, or by donations. Interference is anything but a means for me to get ahead, and in the long run has ended up costing me A LOT of money. I do this out of love for U2, the music, and the fan community. Although this really is beyond what you commented on, I wanted to express these things.

I find it interesting that whenever anyone beings up the fact that some people give you money you are very quick to point out that you don't profit from it. Interesting.

Anyhow I had hoped, for the sake of those who pay you, that you would respect their payments by treating this site as anyone else who accepts cash for services would. But I see that unfortunatlely I was mistaken.

iacrobat said:

Absolutely, it's not a life or death issue. But if we are going to discuss this board, as a forum and the information it provides, is it not an issue of credibility.

I think this board is great because of the posters, I am just curious how one could be duped by a teenage girl in Chicago.

that Dalkey bit was priceless yes
someone stated that people already suspected this wasn't The Edge before he ever even posted as The Edge

that's what makes all of this so interesting
the term 20/20 is being thrown around again

but no 20/20 is needed
all if this wouldn't be so ridiculous otherwise

iacrobat said:

I paid 20 god damned dollars that I worked for into Joel's pocket to be lied to.

I demand some answers to be accountable for MY cash that I sent to him. I paid for this service and it's my damn right to know what the hell is being done with MY money.

Katey said:

Sorry Biff, yes I had direct contact with this Edge via e-mail and my fault in this is not being more vigilant on my end with getting proof from PM. I had believed yes that this was something this Edge was doing in his free time, given the evidence I and senior staff had yes I believed this to be Edge at the time and I really do apologize for that and for not taking proper "official" steps that might have saved members some pain..this is why I apologize

Please tell me the email address wasn't "seriouslythisistheedgereallyimeanit@yahoo.com". 'Cause if it was, shame on you!

Elvis said:

The issue of the mods is not related as to if The Edge was real or not. It was an independent issue and one that has already been addressed elsewhere. I'd like to keep this thread on topic as it's been. Thanks

Then why (and those in question please correct me if I am wrong) do they seem to think there is some sort of connection?

Is the timing purely coincidence?

DaveC said:

I paid 20 god damned dollars that I worked for into Joel's pocket to be lied to.

I demand some answers to be accountable for MY cash that I sent to him. I paid for this service and it's my damn right to know what the hell is being done with MY money.

ThatGuy said:

I find it interesting that whenever anyone beings up the fact that some people give you money you are very quick to point out that you don't profit from it. Interesting.

Anyhow I had hoped, for the sake of those who pay you, that you would respect their payments by treating this site as anyone else who accepts cash for services would. But I see that unfortunatlely I was mistaken.

He makes $1 month on memberships, I give the guys who play the accordian on the Metro more than that every week. I don't have many expectations from them. What do you expect for $1 a month? It is not a business. I spend waaaayy too much time here browsing the forums, I don't want to begin how many hours Elvis spends keeping it going. I have often wondered why he bothers doing it. I think it is outrageous that you expect more for $1!

I would imagine he points out that he is not making a profit because it is quite possibe that people are insinuating that he might be.

Last edited:
DaveC said:
Ok, this is going to come off as hostile, but keep in mind we're pissed right now (including me):

I will ask some questions that I believe speak on behalf of everyone here that have been totally ignored.

1.) What EXACTLY (step-by-step) occurred in the verification of "The Edge"'s identity, and start with what ALL the mods did in terms of ID verification (e-mails, phone calls, etc.), beginning with the posts by "Dalkey Beach", going through the "interview", the Edge postings, and the "Ask The Edge" up to this very point?

2.) Exactly how many new Premium accounts have been created since "The Edge" started posting? I think you need to get in touch with all of those people and offer them a chance to have their money returned.

3.) Tell us, HONESTLY, yes or no, was the removal of Angela Harlem and Salome as mods directly related to their questioning of the identity of "The Edge"?

4.) I would like to hear from each of the staff directly what they know/knew about "The Edge".

Dammit, I want some answers! :angry:

I'm this fucking close to demanding my money be sent back to me. So you better make this good and believable.

1) Right now we dont even have all of that in one document... this is more than a month long of various types of communications with various people, as well as forum posts. We are considering trying to put all of this information together, however all of us have been overly busy with dealing with this as its happened aside from trying to deal with our real lives and jobs at the same time.

2) There was no spike in prem. members in relation to 'the edge', and actually really none in membership either. Prem members range anywhere from 1-3 accounts per week, and sometimes as many as 7-10. These are usually a combination of yearly and or monthly memberships. This pattern hasnt changed because of all of this... infact, we've had some cancellations because of it. I have also sent a message to all Premium Members letting them know that I've added an additional two months to there membership for free.

3) No it was not a direct result. It was something that had been building and has been addressed in another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom