Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 08:47 AM   #556
Refugee

Local Time: 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Calluna

The mind plays tricks on you. You play tricks back! It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting...

Jesus, Calluna, you made me snort hot coffee up my nose. And yet I'm still laughing.

Maybe the answer to this mess lies in the basement of the Alamo.

Old 10-20-2004, 09:18 AM   #557
Ody
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
I was actually just looking at the new registration stats this morning, for other reasons, but again.. noticed that 'the edge' stuff didnt even affect our normal pattern, and infact in the week of the 'interview', registrations were down a bit. Just thought I'd share.
Silly Elvis. The week of the interview would be unimportant, because everyone, regardless of user status, could read it. The point where I expect a spike is after the Edge had multiple posts out there, which required a search function to be able to view all of them without spending hours going through obscure PLEBA threads.

Now, on to finances. I read somewhere in the thread that you get 1-3 new memberships per week. For the sake of fairness, we can say 2 per week, on average. If all of these are year-long memberships, that would be 104x$12=$1,248 in memberships. This would of course, not count anything made from the ads on this site.

Now, I don't expect them all to be year-long memberships, but I would expect the majority of them to be, because renewing it every month is just plain annoying.

So, we'll say that several of them are not year-long, but we can guess that $1,000 or so comes from memberships every year. I think that is being very conservative. Add to that whatever the ads make (Salome seemed to think at least $500/year) and you have at least $1,500/year that Interference generates.

Now, I don't know enough about web space to know how much it costs to maintain a page of this magnitude, but is it over $100/month? I really have no idea, but I know that someone will have the answer.

Respectfully,

Ody

Old 10-20-2004, 09:23 AM   #558
Refugee

Ody you forgot to include the number of existing or renewing members in your calculations. I've read somewhere that there are 300-400 existing members, so that would raise the monthly/yearly figures you posted.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:18 AM   #559
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:45 AM
Waaaait a minute. So Elvis, what you're saying is that you really didn't know who this poster was, and you still don't know?

If this is truly the case, why in the hell would you give a poster the Official status of The Edge and then proclaim that he really is the Edge when you in fact weren't even sure who the hell this person is? It completely defies logic.

Unless it involved money...
Old 10-20-2004, 11:36 AM   #560
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
Waaaait a minute. So Elvis, what you're saying is that you really didn't know who this poster was, and you still don't know?

If this is truly the case, why in the hell would you give a poster the Official status of The Edge and then proclaim that he really is the Edge when you in fact weren't even sure who the hell this person is? It completely defies logic.

I am sorry, Diemen, but what you posted makes TOO much sense, therefore it will NEVER be addressed by Elvis.

If you want Elvis to answer, ask him if Kate is his girlfriend, that issue he will quickly address.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:58 AM   #561
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:45 AM

Sad but true.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:02 PM   #562
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Well it’s taken me a few days, but I’ve finally read this entire thread from front to back. This entire situation is, at best, shady. I’m always very suspect of people who claim to have inside knowledge, who claim to know someone close to the band, know a family member of the band, or hell, even be IN the band. The entire Office of U2 Security “idea” in a way birthed it’s self out of this idiocy in the first place. When the whole Dalkey question started popping up, I even made a thread mocking the whole thing where I presented a list of potential suspects as to who this Dalkey character just might be… Bono, The Edge, The Edge’s Cousin, Tom Ridge, Henry Rollins, or Some random schmuck who just decided to F with us all…

http://forum.interference.com/showth...u&pagenumber=2

Then, before the whole “official” The Edge name was posted, I heard a few whispers from this person or that person about how they got the exclusive interview with the band because it was discovered that “The Edge” indeed had been floating around the boards and that is how they got the interview in the first place. So when the “official” Edge started posting I believed it. I even posted news stories and quotes on The Office of U2 Security that were attributed to this person posting as The Edge.

Knowing that The Edge himself has to have known about the webpage that I’ve dedicated so much of my personal time trying to build up made me as giddy as a school girl at an N’Sync concert. Finding out that it was all a fraud was like learning that Santa Claus isn’t real all over again.

So where does it leave us now? Who the hell knows? There are still plenty of questions that have been left unanswered. Questions that I would like to know the answers to. Maybe we’ll find out, maybe we won’t. I’m not really going to get into all that because there are plenty of people here who know plenty more than I do who have already raised those questions, and raise them they should.

My plea is to those who are leaving. You’re pissed off, and you have every right to be. I am too. And most if not all of your anger is directed at Joel & various other members of the “hierarchy,” and deservedly so. Like I already stated, his dealings with this episode, and apparently with an episode around the time of ATYCLB which I can’t recall (I wasn’t as active a member then as I am now) were shady at best. He’s also done a hell of a lot of good for the U2 fan community, be it setting up Interference in the first place, the Discotheque “leak,” or giving some dumb schmuck who he’s never met unlimited web space to set up a dinky ass Office of U2 Security webpage.

I’m not going to sit here and try to tell you that you shouldn’t be pissed off at him. You have every right to be. And by all means, any “exclusive” interview from now on is going to be hurt by the “boy who cried wolf” syndrome. That’s the way it goes sometimes, I guess. But don’t leave because you’re pissed at Joel. He may have invented Interference, but Interference is now a living, breathing thing that’s grown well beyond Joel himself. If you’ve enjoyed the time you’ve spent snorting the blue crack in the past, then there’s no reason why you can’t continue to enjoy it now, despite all this. Just think about it before you leave. This place isn’t such a great place because of the news or content section. It’s great because of the various personalities that float around this virtual cluster-F we like to call Interference. Be it Cujo and Mofo’s mentertaining banter, Diamond’s stories of playing midget toss at the Elevation tour, Bonochick’s endless obsession with Ryan Adams, Sicy’s satanic cats… whatever. That is why we’re all here as opposed to any other U2 message board, and that should be the reason to stay. Think about it…
Old 10-20-2004, 01:09 PM   #563
War Child

Local Time: 02:45 PM
Well put, Headache. Thanks.

Wait...Santa Claus isn't real?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:12 PM   #564
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Well said in that last paragraph Headache

But you mispelled 'angelic' when referring to Sicy's cats
Old 10-20-2004, 03:01 PM   #565
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I'm going to post my thoughts soon if Elvis doesn't cough up.

That would be fun wouldn't it Elvis. So far I'm 100% on everything. Lets see how far I can take this before I have got something wrong.
it has some elements of a good western movie
in which from start to finish good vs less good are heading for the final showdown

it's good to know that we might end up actually understanding why answers seem to be mysteriously unavailable
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 10-20-2004, 03:03 PM   #566
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:45 PM
and I even missed this one
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Elvis lets brainstorm. Tell us about the member sitting in the unused usergroup. I checked that IP. Proves nothing, but sheesh it sure was an interesting set of digits. Is this what you were referring to on msn when you told me you saw all my 'snooping around' in the admin cp? May I refresh your memory and remind you you made me an admin? Did you want me to just sit around and look pretty? Why did someone put that person there? They're never posted. Not from that IP and not since 2002.

Your theory is based on God knows what. Jealousy you call it. Mine is based on too many suspicious circumstances to count.

Lets see who wants to declare this an empty threat. You're going to have to give answers if you want this to 'go away'.
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 10-20-2004, 03:19 PM   #567
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by u2live2001
Other media outlets picked up on those stories
Who? Which ones?
Old 10-20-2004, 04:25 PM   #568
Refugee

Looking back at "Ask The Edge" I'm amazed that anyone (including me) fell for it in the first place. Evasive one sentence answers, a very American voice ... I can only imagine how the private "conclusive" e-mails this person sent to the staff must have sounded.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...om/a97771.html

I do wonder how much contact this person had with the staff. If some of the posters in this thread were able to figure our this wasn't the Edge in a few short posts, why couldn't the staff have done it within a few e-mails? What was their standard of proof?

Of course these questions fall on deaf ears to those who are able to answer them.

At least the faker tried harder on the "interview"

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...om/a96422.html
Old 10-20-2004, 04:40 PM   #569
ONE
love, blood, life

Stories

repost...Go SOX
Old 10-20-2004, 04:41 PM   #570
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Who? Which ones?
Our FYM threads were appearing in google news front page.

How is school?

Matt