A Message to Our Readers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dmahoney10 said:
Holy shit. Are all the angry people serious? The staff thought they posted a real interview, it turned out to be an Edge impostor, the staff figured it out and withdrew the interview, and you're all genuinely angry? Was that a CBS scandal comparison I saw? You all realize this is a fan site for a music band, right? That maybe, oh I don't know, it's No Big Deal and Move on With Your Lives?

I would agree if this wouldnt be in line with a lot of 'incidents' here at interferene.com. this all makes it look like the staff did it on purpose. I just don`t like lies.

dmahoney10 said:
Holy shit. Are all the angry people serious? The staff thought they posted a real interview, it turned out to be an Edge impostor, the staff figured it out and withdrew the interview, and you're all genuinely angry? Was that a CBS scandal comparison I saw? You all realize this is a fan site for a music band, right? That maybe, oh I don't know, it's No Big Deal and Move on With Your Lives?

The CBS comparison came from Elvis himself. The problem is that it didn't happen the way you just said. For weeks, any number of members and staff were raising concerns and valid objections over the validity of the interview and the poster, and they were ignored, shut down and ridiculed. That is why some people are so angry - they feel taken advantage of.

This is just a message board, no doubt about it. But a lot of people invest a lot of time - both as "staff" and as members. So see, it is a community too. And when you are running something this large, charging for it, and hold yourself in your promotions as being the biggest and the best, you have a responsibility to do a few things. You have a responsibility to check, double check and triple check when you purport to have the object of everyone's obsession right here in our midst. You have a responsibility to address valid issues when they come up - immediately. You have a responsibility to LISTEN to the very staff you've "hired" when they tell you that you are making a mistake and be absolutely sure you're not mistaken before you dismiss their claims.

We are now in the sweeping under the rug mode. I don't think we'll ever hear another word on it from Elvis. I believe he will let people continue to blow a gasket in this thread (which is no longer on any page but here - while the Need Donations! announcement is right there where it's been since it was posted) while ignoring the valid questions, as he has from the beginning. But see, it's narrowed down to 3 or 4 people now. So, it's ok if those folks go away. I'd bet that's about how many people took off the last time this happened. Acceptable collateral damage. In a month, no one will even talk about this any more - it will just be pictures in PLEBA and tour tickets.

Last edited:
Acceptable collateral damage.

I would think that this time besides a few people leaving, there may also be many many more who will NOT pay for premium membership or hand out any more donations.

I know that my money can be better spent in the future, and I will not make the mistake of spending it here again.

And to the people that think we are so MAD at a simple mistake well they just don't get it. I consider that most of the staff should be U2 lifers, as in U2 is in your blood, it is not fluff. So they should have smelled the BULLSHIT immediatly. That is where the anger and disgust comes from, because it being a mistake just does not add up, so it appears that we are being taken as fools.

brook said:
For weeks, any number of members and staff were raising concerns and valid objections over the validity of the interview and the poster, and they were ignored, shut down and ridiculed. That is why some people are so angry - they feel taken advantage of.

This is just a message board, no doubt about it. But a lot of people invest a lot of time - both as "staff" and as members. So see, it is a community too. And when you are running something this large, charging for it, and hold yourself in your promotions as being the biggest and the best, you have a responsibility to do a few things. You have a responsibility to check, double check and triple check when you purport to have the object of everyone's obsession right here in our midst. You have a responsibility to address valid issues when they come up - immediately. You have a responsibility to LISTEN to the very staff you've "hired" when they tell you that you are making a mistake and be absolutely sure you're not mistaken before you dismiss their claims.

This is very well said. It's a good, clear summary of the problem.

I don't think Joel will answer the questions, no matter how many times he's asked. But I do think that his credibility is damaged beyond repair this time, and I think that when many people don't renew memberships, the reality of the situation will set in.

But I think Interference will continue to grow, and prosper, just not in a monetary way. The community is too large and too strong for it to whither and die.

hmm, I don't agree

I think one day karma will bite this site in the arse
and if not karma then a couple of upset people who can't hide their utter disgust at being treated like complete idiots

the big shame is that this site is great
it doesnt rally deserve to die this way

martha said:
But I think Interference will continue to grow, and prosper, just not in a monetary way.

Yes it will. Of course it will. All Joel has to do is threaten to shut it down (again) or slow it down to frustrate people into paying for supposed better functionality. I think that's what bugs me most.

Not that I blame the community folks for wanting be here, but Joel is so easily able to take advantage of it all and laughs all the way to the bank (or London, Ontario). Not to mention the laughing stock he has made of his staff and his members in the wider online U2 community.

So nothing will change really...excect you can be damn sure that after this, U2 and management - RMP is well aware of what's going on here - will have nothing official to do with this site. EVER.

And Joel will call that U2.com jealousy :lmao:

Originally posted by AliEnvy
All Joel has to do is threaten to shut it down (again) or slow it down to frustrate people into paying for supposed better functionality.

They don't call it blue crack for nuthin' ;) he is the dealer, we are the addicts.

martha said:

But I think Interference will continue to grow, and prosper, just not in a monetary way. The community is too large and too strong for it to whither and die.

With U2 about to go on tour, I can't see it doing anything but growing, unless Elvis shuts it down.

U2Kitten said:

They don't call it blue crack for nuthin' ;) he is the dealer, we are the addicts.
Ain't that the truth...I started an alter just to see what non-premium life was like, and I was cracking at the first attached picture that came up.

Schmeg said:

Ain't that the truth...I started an alter just to see what non-premium life was like, and I was cracking at the first attached picture that came up.

Oh, that is really pitiful! Funny as hell, but pitiful!

I think this whole mess is hillarious now. :)
What got me a wee bit upset was the
holier than thou attitude of some in power. ( mods,staff, etc)
Like how dare us question the vailidty
of "Edge" and "U2" posting here.

martha said:

I don't think Joel will answer the questions, no matter how many times he's asked. But I do think that his credibility is damaged beyond repair this time, and I think that when many people don't renew memberships, the reality of the situation will set in.

I think the day(s) of reckoning will come when Interference members start seeking out the mods here on next year's tour for the answers they aren't getting. I wouldn't be surprised to hear about some very angry confrontations. If there is one thing that ALL people hate, it's being lied to.

I don't think this will be the end of Interference
but - let's face it - it's only a matter of time until something similar will happen again

if you keep pulling enough crap then one day you'll end up stinking so badly that people don't want to be anywhere around you
and that day will come

Well said

brook said:

The CBS comparison came from Elvis himself. The problem is that it didn't happen the way you just said. For weeks, any number of members and staff were raising concerns and valid objections over the validity of the interview and the poster, and they were ignored, shut down and ridiculed. That is why some people are so angry - they feel taken advantage of.

We are now in the sweeping under the rug mode. I don't think we'll ever hear another word on it from Elvis. I believe he will let people continue to blow a gasket in this thread (which is no longer on any page but here - while the Need Donations! announcement is right there where it's been since it was posted) while ignoring the valid questions, as he has from the beginning. But see, it's narrowed down to 3 or 4 people now. So, it's ok if those folks go away. I'd bet that's about how many people took off the last time this happened. Acceptable collateral damage. In a month, no one will even talk about this any more - it will just be pictures in PLEBA and tour tickets.

Exactly. :tsk:

well, seems i am 10 days late...

the internet has been invaded by tons of u2 fansites, probably more than any other band, and as such it has become a market itself (sponsors and banners increasing...) and with a lot of consumers. And since it's a market, the competition has gone so wild that to run in that championship everyone is looking for the exclusive new, for the exclusive photo, for the exclusive mp3... but the fact is that this stuff is spreaded so fast, that exclusivity became nothing... UNLESS you create some facts that cannot be confirmed, but are not also unconfirmed.

It's clear that this has become the strategical editorial option from this site to call atention, and therefore to gain a position in this market. We all remember of the solar thing, and some exclusive announcements from pm and rpm only to interference. All stuff from dark sources, never officialy confirmed, that were all later recognized as fake by this site and always with non-reliable excuses, but by that time the number of visits has already increased a lot.

With that in mind, coming now the time of a new u2 album, providing info such as "exclusive: album title" or "exclusive: tracklist" on the day it went public may look ridiculuous, so it was expected that interference would create some facts to call attention. That's why i had an hard time to believe that was the edge (and become almost sure it wasn't after that attack to jick immediately after this elvis guy had done the same thing).

What is worst is that some valid opinions on these forums have been marginalized because they were not according the "edge's" biblical word. Funny also how some people that participted on the offensive attack to jick's rationale supported by the edge & elvis are reacting now.

well, it's a relief to confirm it was all fake and the edge is not that offensive guy. i will keep coming here (if i'm allowed) to discuss u2 with you beautiful members because i love it. regarding info about the band, we have so much better places.

I'll re-itterate my point about this needing to be mentioned on the front page. Elvis, ALOT of people are accessing the forms though the front page and never read this thread.

The outcome is that members find out about this by chance in other threads and feel cheated and embarassed about the whole thing, especially those who asked questions or have taken information as fact.

For example: http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1809919

Jim said:
I'll re-itterate my point about this needing to be mentioned on the front page. Elvis, ALOT of people are accessing the forms though the front page and never read this thread.

The outcome is that members find out about this by chance in other threads and feel cheated and embarassed about the whole thing, especially those who asked questions or have taken information as fact.

Wow, that is really sad. Mike was a very enthusiastic poster.

To not have an announcement on the front page, and now to have removed the announcement on the forums, is incredibly cowardly.

Last post on this subject...I think.
Since no true answers are not forthcoming, speculation as to how this
happened will continue.
I'm becoming more and more convinvced
this was a ploy right from the start to attract "premium" members.
Funny how the announcement for "donations" for a new server coincided
with that "exclusive" U2 interview.
That worked a bit, but to top it off
"Edge" was invented to further increase hits on here, and hopefully
more "premium" memebers.
Until I get straight answers, this is
what I'm going to believe.
I'll still come to this site to check out
the pics in PLEBA, and read fan accounters though, but the trustworthyness ( word?) of this site
is zero.
Rumors from crappy tabloids are treated as legit news, unknown sources who have access to the band
post "news," etc....etc.
The last straw was the fake Edge.
I knew he/she/it was fake from their
first post. And so did many others!
Any thread that questioned the
valiidity of the "Edge" was closed down. Hmm......very mysterious.
Elvis must've issued orders to shut
down these threads, so he could continue the farce?
That's the only answer I can come up
with.
I'll stick with u2.com for legit news
from now on. Yes, that site is slow, but
they would never pull the crap seen on
here lately. :eyebrow:

Jim said:

That really sucks. The worst thing is that the thread you highlight is a very very recent one.

nbcrusader said:

In 65 replies to this thread, what have you accomplished?

In counting the number of posts I made in this thread what have you accompished?

Same answer, probably.

nbcrusader said:
In 65 replies to this thread, what have you accomplished?

In 94 replies to this thread what has Elvis accomplished? :shrug:

I think that's the more important question.

Last edited:
When I found out, only one expression came to mind:

I'VE BEEN PUNK'D!!:ohmy:

I can't believe I fell for it and even defended the possibility of it being the Edge. Nevertheless, I'm still not convinced that the poster is not close to the band. Too much exclusive information was revealed. When the album comes out, everything will be proven/disproven.

Renne said:

In 94 replies to this thread what has Elvis accomplished? :shrug:

I think that's the more important question.

:up:

nbc, are you implying that I'm wasting my time? You may be right about that, actually.

I would suggest letting go and moving on. I haven't seen you posting in FYM. Surely partisian bickering in FYM is more entertaining than calling out Elvis every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom