A Message to Our Readers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But then what did YOU know? You said you were sure it was The Edge. Why? How? What evidence did you have?

Elvis said:

There are no facts besides IP at this point. If you can give me some other facts that are evidence I'd be happy to look them over.

And since people here like to get overly technical abot words...

Main Entry: 1ev·i·dence
Pronunciation: 'e-v&-d&n(t)s, -v&-"den(t)s
Function: noun
1 a : an outward sign : INDICATION b : something that furnishes proof : TESTIMONY; specifically : something legally submitted to a tribunal to ascertain the truth of a matter
2 : one who bears witness; especially : one who voluntarily confesses a crime and testifies for the prosecution against his accomplices
- in evidence 1 : to be seen : CONSPICUOUS <trim lawns ... are everywhere in evidence -- Amer. Guide Series: N.C.> 2 : as evidence

Okay, I have some questions to ask you, then.

What was the name that appeared in the name field of the e-mails from the person who claimed to be the Edge>

I know that IP addresses can be faked, but didn't you think it suspicious that the other posters using "The Edge's" IP acted so strangely? Do I have to dig up examples of their weirdness?

And really Elvis, we'd love to see your EVIDENCE that this poster was the Edge. Hopefully it was "something that furnishes proof." Do you honestly not realize that if you were a little more forthcoming with "evidence" this thread wouldn't be filled with everyone's suppositions about what happened?

Elvis said:

I'm not sure which you're talking about... but she references other people KNOWING it was a fake... and this goes back to the whole 'know','fact', 'evidence' comments I've made. I've not heard anyone tell me what they KNOW besides an IP address.

I'm late. I will be back tonight.

At the risk of being accused of reposting a "personal attack" :)rolleyes: ) here was her question (which several of us have asked in different forms):

Angela Harlem said:
I think Elvis's ego is no secret, so it begs the question, how did such a cocky and arrogrant bastard (and you know I say this with all the love my ole heart posesses Elvis) get so fooled?

Oh and I can't WAIT for you to get back so you can answer that question. I'm sure everything will be so clear after that, since you've been nothing but open the rest of this thread.

Last edited:
I have some questions:

1. Who was the person who contacted Dalkey Beach?

2. What was the content of that email. Please post it here.

3. What was the content of the reply. Pleast post it here.

4. Please post the content of any other correspondence between "Dalkey/The Edge" and you/your staff that was used to make the decision to create "Official Band Status"

That would consitute evidence.

This whole situation stinks. Given the evidence presented, to believe that Elvis and his content staff were duped by the faux Edge means that you would have to think that they are, at best, stupid.

Well that's the story they are sticking to so I will give them a sign.

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 175
I thought it an apt time to review Elvis' philosophy as stated in the old 'recent ban' thread in this forum:

Originally posted by Elvis

Here is a taste of my philosophy...
Human beings are gifted with consciousness and reason, and as in most modern societies are expected to use those gifts. They are also held accountable for their actions, and often reactions. Occasionally someone makes a choice that they don't properly analyze, sometimes that choice is the wrong choice. Whether that person knew prior that their choice was 'wrong' or not, they are still held accountable for their actions. The Internet, I feel, is no different. Interference.com and Feedback are no different in that respect either. Upon registering to this forum, and becoming a member of this community, each person is assumed to be a conscious and reasonable person, and likewise each person has the undesired opportunity to prove otherwise. Myself, admins, and mods are not here to teach right from wrong, only to keep the forum thriving in the best interest of the community as a whole, and the site. At times we may error, like anyone else, and for this I apologize, as I'd expect any reasonable person to do.

Elvis said:

Aside from IP addresses, cookies, and other information gathered... I have now created a method in which to more properly identify where someone TRULY is located at the time of posting. IPs can be forged, routed, etc... and are not completely trustworthy when it comes to location. For instance.. most AOL IPs say a person is in Virginia, even if they are really in California. I personally use my home IP (by method of VPN) even when I am travelling out of the country.

Fine. Correct me if I'm wrong, then, there seems to be three logical reasons why a person posting emails as The Edge would have an IP based in Chicago/New York

a. they *are the Edge and are posting from Chicago/New York.

b. they are *not the Edge and are based in Chicago/New York.

c. they *are the Edge, are *not actually physcially in the US, and for some reason want to route and forge their IP address thru the US

Now, for my thoughts on all 3 - and this should have been GLARINGLY obvious from very early out:

a. the Edge was in Dublin and Spain whilst all this was going on, according to both news sources and, laughably, the imposter's posts

b. well we now know this to the the truth.? beLIEve.

c. right. The Edge has so much to worry about, knows nothing about how to safeguard himself against a malicious attack on his computer, and neither does anyone close to him (hint: who actually runs the official site)

oh - and d. u2.com never had a word on it. not a word.

Now - exactly why were you fooled again?

I cant believe that in a moment of sheer idiocy I actually PM'd this individual with my life 'u2 story' - and then the next day apologized for the lengthly message. How utterly embarrassing and demeaning.

Oh - finally - I want my money back. LOL

Elvis said:

c) The two people came to me with their problems for help/advice as a personal friend. I wasnt sitting their reading PMs, nor do I ever. Do you think someone at Microsoft sits there and reads everyone's hotmail? I highly doubt it.. yet it's stored in an unencrypted database. I've commented earlier and been quite open with the fact that PMs are private, yet stored in a database (duh), and that I am the only one on staff that CAN access them if need be. 'need be' does not arise that often, but has when at times certain members of the forum have gone missing for awhile, people are worried about them, and ask me to look into it - this usually only comes from our team however. To be quite honest, I could couldnt care less about what people do or say with their PMs, they could as easily send an email, or IM.

You give the members of this forum that no one on your current MOD staff has EVER read Private Messages?

iacrobat said:
Tirades! I'm honoured! I thought I was just offering some perspective.

Come off it DaveC, it is not as if I don't understand how you feel.

Boy, $20 Canadian buys you a lot more than I thought it did.

Yeah - well - you'd be SURPRISED just how much $20 Canadian means to the average Canadian university student going to school in the east coast.

I sympathize completely Dave - and not cause you came to our show lol - Im from the east coast too and I know what its like down there - especially in winter time :S

Cheers mate

45 pages on, it does seem that either we are never going to get the answers that clearly the majority of people want (besides the number of pages, the number of views in this thread is huge) or, Elvis is continuing to build up all the evidence/answers/alibi's etc. The thread is being somewhat derailed by personal vendettas (on both sides) that the casual viewer (i count myself as one).

Is it realistic to give Elvis more time to get facts straight instead of repeating the same line of questions?

How about we play good cop/bad cop for a bit. We've done the bad cop bit. Although not very likely, isn't it possible Elvis might have been taken in like a lot of people were and just got caught up in the hype like a lot of other people?

"As we know,
There are known knowns.
There are things we know we know.
We also know
There are known unknowns.
That is to say
We know there are some things
We do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns,
The ones we don't know
We don't know. "

Party Boy said:
Is it realistic to give Elvis more time to get facts straight instead of repeating the same line of questions?

Yes.

But is he actually doing this? He's given no indication that he is. If he is, he needs to tell us when he's going to make this information available.

How about it, Elvis? When is your "document" going to be complete and ready for public viewing?

Elvis said:

I guess you forgot the forum rules about personal attacks. You don't even know me other than on the 'net, and barely at that.
:lol:

seriously though
you must have some idea by now of the motives behind your actions from a month ago
it doesn't even take me more than a day to make up my hour declaration form

To answers martha's question to me: :)

ThatGuy said:
This whole situation stinks. Given the evidence presented, to believe that Elvis and his content staff were duped by the faux Edge means that you would have to think that they are, at best, stupid. There was plenty of evidence at the time that showed that this poster was not the real Edge, but it was either stupidly ignored or intentionally ignored. A recounting of the chain of events (with some specifics) would go a long way in showing which was the case, which may be why the "document" that Elvis claimed to be working on days ago has not yet appeared. I think we deserve to know if we've been lied to or not.

:up:

What he said.

Elvis said:

I'm not sure which you're talking about... but she references other people KNOWING it was a fake... and this goes back to the whole 'know','fact', 'evidence' comments I've made. I've not heard anyone tell me what they KNOW besides an IP address.

I'm late. I will be back tonight.

OK....which brings us all back to the point....what did you and the'staff' KNOW besides that fact that this person was someone who said they were Edge....like you say, it all goes back to the 'know', 'fact', 'evidence' comments. What did YOU KNOW besides an IP address???????????????????????????????????????????????

Yes...there are many question marks there, but at the end of the day, that is the crux of the 40-odd pages in this thread. WHY THE HELL DID YOU INSIST THAT THIS WAS EDGE, AND WHY THE HELL DID YOU TELL US TO SHUT UP WHEN WE SAID THAT IS WASN'T????????

I hate to shout, but that's ALL we've been asking for the past couple of weks. In fact, that's all we've been asking since these 'Edge' postings first materialised. You're quick to answer in CAPITALS if you think you've got some form of answer, but to tell the truth, it's all a load of gaseous waffle. A great big pile of bollocks that answers no questions AT ALL.

Ah well, love. Not to worry. We've all been saying since 'The Edge' first appeared, this will all turn out to be nothing more than bullshit. Surprise, surprise, we were right. And we got told to pipe down by other members for it, other members that some have known for years. Purely because they trusted you, Elvis. And because they were reassured that you had done your research and that you wouldn't lead them up the garden path. We stated our disbelief, and we were repeatedly told to keep our opinions to ourself and told to stop causing trouble. Is it any surprise that those longterm members are ready to piss off to pastures new, and that the 'newbies' are the ones that are ready to stick by you??? Maybe because the newbies are the ones that have yet to learn about the way things work around here.

that's my say on the matter. :tsk:

martha said:
But why do you deserve to know if you've been lied to or not? What will it change?

You already know that Joel's credibility is shot. You already know that you don't want to send money anymore.

Well I personally have already made my decision about being here. For me, I suppose it wouldn't change anything. But for a lot of people I think it would definitely change the way they looked at the site, especially if they have already sent money in the past. Again, bringing the business angle back up, Elvis is ultimately responsible to his customers.

This isn't the first time Elvis's credibilty has been called into question. Every other time he was able to skate by without having to answer the hard questions. After a pattern has emerged, don't you think he should be held responsible for his actions?

Last edited:
bammo2 said:

OK....which brings us all back to the point....what did you and the'staff' KNOW besides that fact that this person was someone who said they were Edge....like you say, it all goes back to the 'know', 'fact', 'evidence' comments. What did YOU KNOW besides an IP address???????????????????????????????????????????????

Yes...there are many question marks there, but at the end of the day, that is the crux of the 40-odd pages in this thread. WHY THE HELL DID YOU INSIST THAT THIS WAS EDGE, AND WHY THE HELL DID YOU TELL US TO SHUT UP WHEN WE SAID THAT IS WASN'T????????

I hate to shout, but that's ALL we've been asking for the past couple of weks. In fact, that's all we've been asking since these 'Edge' postings first materialised. You're quick to answer in CAPITALS if you think you've got some form of answer, but to tell the truth, it's all a load of gaseous waffle. A great big pile of bollocks that answers no questions AT ALL.

Ah well, love. Not to worry. We've all been saying since 'The Edge' first appeared, this will all turn out to be nothing more than bullshit. Surprise, surprise, we were right. And we got told to pipe down by other members for it, other members that some have known for years. Purely because they trusted you, Elvis. And because they were reassured that you had done your research and that you wouldn't lead them up the garden path. We stated our disbelief, and we were repeatedly told to keep our opinions to ourself and told to stop causing trouble. Is it any surprise that those longterm members are ready to piss off to pastures new, and that the 'newbies' are the ones that are ready to stick by you??? Maybe because the newbies are the ones that have yet to learn about the way things work around here.

that's my say on the matter. :tsk:

:up:

ThatGuy said:

Well I personally have already made my decision about being here. For me, I suppose it wouldn't change anything. But for a lot of people I think it would definitely change the way they looked at the site, especially if they have already sent money in the past. Again, bringing the business angle back up, Elvis is ultimately responsible to his customers.

This isn't the first time Elvis's credibilty has been called into question. Every other time he was able to skate by without having to answer the hard questions. After a pattern has emerged, don't you think he should be held responsible for his actions?

This is the kind of answer I was looking for. Real reasons rather than more cries for blood.

I understand more what you want now. I may not agree, but I understand.

Thank you. :yes:

martha said:

This is the kind of answer I was looking for. Real reasons rather than more cries for blood.

I understand more what you want now. I may not agree, but I understand.

Thank you. :yes:

Shucks, I came back in here ready to defend myself. ;)

Even if you don't agree, thanks for understanding.

Originally posted by ThatGuy
This whole situation stinks. Given the evidence presented, to believe that Elvis and his content staff were duped by the faux Edge means that you would have to think that they are, at best, stupid.

You know what they say, if caught, play dumb. I suppose being labeled 'stupid' was more desirable than being labeled 'liar.' :|

EPandAmerica I may be the only person who got your 'here's your sign' joke :laugh:

(here's your sign=STUPID!)

MrsSpringsteen said:
But I do have to say that bringing up that "suicidal" issue..I don't see the "point" that was being made, and I think that's truly uncalled for. That is a deeply personal issue. Not naming names doesn't make it any more private or justify it, but then again, nothing's really ever private on the Internet, is it?

Thank you. And thanks, Angela. Even though Elvis doesn't see it the way I see it, I believe using suicide as an example of what's private and what isn't is really low. Who freakin' cares if the names were mentioned or not? Out of the 22,000 people reading the thread, there is bound to be someone who knows EXACTLY who he's referring to.

Moonie

U2log.com now has an article on the return of Bono's briefcase and the role they played in it. It's an interesting read, also with regard to the situation here. Choice quote:
This is the story. Rheaume contacted U2log.com to help her and her friend get in touch with U2’s management so the two could return the material to Bono in person. Knowing that anyone would find their claim unbelievable, we asked for photographic evidence to provide to U2’s management and received the photos that are published with this report.

And yes, the site has the photographic evidence. And no, they did not ask for this because of Edgegate here (as the first contact between U2log.com and the person who found the contents was a year ago). It's the basic thing to do when you deal with something as important as this...

Marty

Popmartijn said:
U2log.com now has an article on the return of Bono's briefcase and the role they played in it. It's an interesting read, also with regard to the situation here. Choice quote:

And yes, the site has the photographic evidence. And no, they did not ask for this because of Edgegate here (as the first contact between U2log.com and the person who found the contents was a year ago). It's the basic thing to do when you deal with something as important as this...

Marty

I must be a bad fan (don't claim to be a good one though :wink: ), and I know it's off the subject, but what the hell is this about?

design.bmp

http://forum.interference.com/t97235.html

What is this supposed to be, cynicism?

Leave the design like it is, Elvis. Don´t waste away server space, things are probably gonna get bigger automatically. On the other hand, you can spend your money and time for whatever you want.. not my business, I don´t pay to be a premium, I don´t pay for the ads, I´m not donating for server space.

You still want to change the design after losing credibility? Doesn´t work for me at all.

Take some time to answer some more questions in this thread or compile the document you were talking about (and then changed your mind easily, apparently after realizing it wasn´t necessary anymore).

Give the community something the community needs - not a new fucking baggy pants cut n colour. Have you seen how some members were hurt? You realized that? Good. So what is your concept?

Interference is your child, but this community isn´t yours. The community deserves to be treated better than providing your advertising customers statistics about how many hits per day.

Only thing in that context that speaks for you, Elvis, is the fact that your last comment about redesigning dates back to 09/24.

Yours sincerily,

2600 red box buddy

Last edited:
By the way, what has happened to the ad of the African Well Fund? Did the organizers of the African Well Fund take it off, or did the time run out, or did you take it off? Was that ad paid, or did you run it for free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom