A Message to Our Readers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to have the 600th post in this thread. :wink:

Last edited:
I never believed it was Edge from Day 1.
And so did many other people, but us
"doubters" were ostracized by the powers that be. Oh well. Some left
in disgust, over this fiasco.
Very good point raised! Why the wait to finally contact U2's publicity dept.?
It should have been contacted the first
time she/he/it posted as "The Edge."
Sorry...I never bought the tale that
he/she/it couldn't be verified.
Now a word from Robin:
"Holy egg on their faces, Batman!!"

:wink: :)

Tip Top Prince said:

Where are the emails?

Where are your emails?

I really think you fail to understand somethings:

a) There are 2 private forums for mods/admins here - what is contained within them are private. Period.

b) There is a private mailing list for the zine staff - what is contained within it is private. Period.

c) Amongst the various forms of communication are personal information, stories, and feelings that are private. For one example: I shared some memories with 'the edge' about 2 past moderators of this site which were suicidal, and my feelings about that, as well as my involvement with trying to persuade them otherwise. That's not anyones business here.

d) Based on (a), (b) and (c) you're never going to get the entire story. and thus will continue to keep questioning and demanding 'full disclosure' - which, to be honest.. I still don't understand where it is in the fine print that when we posted our apology it was written that we were going to have a 'full disclosure'. At one time I did say it was under consideration, that was it.

Has any other fan site every posted fake interviews? Honestly, I don't know, has anyone else ever been duped? You'd think that this sort of thing would happen quite a lot, if it is that easy to fool people in to thinking that you are a band member.

:hmm: Maybe we need a U2 refresher course for staff and site owners to take every six months or so.

I just DON'T get it. People on this site are always :wink: ing at each other and mentioning how things at PM are run and :wink: ing at how officals are apt to be running the halls of Interference, but when it comes right down to it, you were ALL duped by FAKES.

Do we have a what the fuck smilie? WTF? INDEED.

EPandAmerica said:

Iand mentioning how things at PM are run and :wink: ing at how officals are apt to be running the halls of Interference, but when it comes right down to it, you were ALL duped by FAKES.

Uhm, besides recently who has publicly mentioned anyone official 'running the halls'?

I did say that I have assisted official folks that initiated contact with me (not the other way around). We also know of official folks' email addresses, some of which are associated with member accounts here. Keep in mind that to signup as a member here, emails are verified by the recipient when they are sent a code to enter, and then have to enter that code to activate their account. This process only allows those with legitimate email accounts (which they have control over) to login fully - and if they dont their account is held in 'limbo zone'.

I am also fully aware of several IP addresses which are of an official nature. This information is logged, just like everything else on the server is.

I'm going to watch West Wing.

bbl.

Elvis said:

Where are your emails?

I really think you fail to understand somethings:

a) There are 2 private forums for mods/admins here - what is contained within them are private. Period.

b) There is a private mailing list for the zine staff - what is contained within it is private. Period.

c) Amongst the various forms of communication are personal information, stories, and feelings that are private. For one example: I shared some memories with 'the edge' about 2 past moderators of this site which were suicidal, and my feelings about that, as well as my involvement with trying to persuade them otherwise. That's not anyones business here.

Wait a minute... you just said that was private, period. So am I to believe that what you just posted on this board about the two previous moderators being suicidal was originally private? Why did you post that, then, if it's nobody's business? :no:

Personally? Using something as obviously private as suicide as an example of what is private and what isn't was in poor taste. Just MHO.

Moonie

Elvis said:
a. b. c. and d. - that's what I just got through explaining.

Whoosh! That's the sound of the point going right over your head. :rolleyes:

You said you considered full disclosure. A, B and C didn't just suddenly appear after you considered full disclosure.

So you were obviously considering it even it light of A, B and C. :|

moon_is_playing_tricks said:
Personally? Using something as obviously private as suicide as an example of what is private and what isn't was in poor taste. Just MHO.

:yes:

Not that I even get how he could compare suicide with deceiving the members of this board. Not even in the same ballpark. :huh:

So, my questions for the last several weeks were, "if you indeed believed you were dealing with the Edge, what proofs did you require, and what proofs did you receive?"
Thank you, Elvis, for giving me an answer to one of those questions! Clearly, anyone would be convinced they were dealing with the genuine article once they had been provided with a link to that obviously very classy "Club Vertigo". Bono HAD to have been referencing that place in his lyrics, no?

No.

Edited to add: I don't know about the rest of you, but I am starting to feel seriously insulted at this point.

Last edited:
biff said:
So, my questions for the last several weeks were, "if you indeed believed you were dealing with the Edge, what proofs did you require, and what proofs did you receive?"
Thank you, Elvis, for giving me an answer to one of those questions! Clearly, anyone would be convinced they were dealing with the genuine article once they had been provided with a link to that obviously very classy "Club Vertigo". Bono HAD to have been referencing that place in his lyrics, no?

No.

Edited to add: I don't know about the rest of you, but I am starting to feel seriously insulted at this point.

Thanks for giving me a good laugh. Good one!

And yes to your "Edited to Add"

Elvis said:
I believed just as much as the next person, maybe even more, that this was the real deal as it was happening. This was not pre-planned, orchestrated, on the side of Interference. The entire zine staff was mislead, fooled, manipulated. The entire zine staff was also very upset when we finally did realize something may not be 'right'. No one on staff, zine or forum, orchestrated this. We still do not truly KNOW who 'the edge' was.

What I do know is that from this point fwd interviews will be double checked and double confirmed as to source and content. As well, anyone on the forum that even attempts to come across as someone official in public (that I become aware of) will be asked to 'prove it' and explain what has trasnspired.
Joel

So, basically, as I understand it, someone contacted you or your staff and handed you an exclusive interview with U2. You all thought it was legit. Didn't probe, just assumed.

Then when you posted this interview, you couldn't even print who had answered the questions, just a vague "U2" as the respondent. That indicates to me that you didn't even try to see who was at the other end. If I were interviewing U2, I would like to know which member or members I was corresponding with even via email.

I don't know how you could believe U2 would contact you for an exclusive interview. It doesn't happen that way. It's not that easy. I find it hard to believe that you were all so easily duped/misled when dozens of people thought it was fraudulent immediately.

moon_is_playing_tricks said:

Wait a minute... you just said that was private, period. So am I to believe that what you just posted on this board about the two previous moderators being suicidal was originally private? Why did you post that, then, if it's nobody's business? :no:

Moonie

Did I say who?

I also used this an example to prove a point, which I believe you just proved for me.

Renne said:

You said you considered full disclosure. A, B and C didn't just suddenly appear after you considered full disclosure.

I did not say I considered 'full disclosure', I apologize for not being more clear. I had publicly said I had considered putting together some sort of 'document', I believe.

biff said:

I did not say thats what proof was based on. I said that was something that was mentioned.

Elvis said:
I did not say I considered 'full disclosure', I apologize for not being more clear. I had publicly said I had considered putting together some sort of 'document', I believe.

Ah. Since it was attached to the paragraph about full disclosure, I assumed that was what you were talking about.

It was an fair assumption for me to make really, seeing as you never actually mentioned in that comment about putting together a document. :scratch:

Last edited:
Renne said:

Ah. Since it was attached to the paragraph about full disclosure, I assumed that was what you were talking about.

It was an fair assumption for me to make really, seeing as you never actually mentioned in that comment about putting together a document. :scratch:

Yep.. my fault for anyone misunderstanding that comment.

Elvis said:
Yep.. my fault for anyone misunderstanding that comment.

Now we've got that sorted out...

I was wondering if you'd answer why you won't post all the new information you "haven't mentioned publicly before"? Because just posting dribs and drabs of new information isn't going to make the unhappy members here happy again. :|

Renne said:

Now we've got that sorted out...

I was wondering if you'd answer why you won't post all the new information you "haven't mentioned publicly before"? Because just posting dribs and drabs of new information isn't going to make the unhappy members here happy again. :|

As I've stated I'm unsure about any facts about this 'situation' presently... in regards to who it actually is.... I'm keeping the clues, logs, etc private as I'm still trying to put the puzzle together. Since I dont know who is behind this, I'd rather not post such things and alert them, causing their behavior to change, or anyone else for that matter, as to what type of information I collect, store, and compare. It is this information collection scheme that I/we use to find alters, banned members who try to sneak back, etc. I'm not about to pull back the curtain for everyone to see what my bag of tricks produces ;)

Edit: Just to let you know, a large portion of this information is only viewable by myself. mods/admins must request that I research a member or members in regards to most any databeyond member profiles and ips. - if anyone was curious.

before adding more new information (and I use this term lightly, I was taught that information is data that gives further inside into a topic, otherwise it's just data) could you please just try to sort of slightly refer to what maybe in some way or other could have perhaps indicated to you that this person was indeed The Edge?

and that all the people who told you it wasn't from day one were basically wrong because of all this proof you had that it was indeed The Edge?

because I'm really not able to deal with all this exciting new data and at the same remember that so far answers over here are as hard to come by as wmd's in Iraq

it's not that I don't appreciate your yoda like aproach to posting
but there will be some answers one way or the other

Salome said:
before adding more new information (and I use this term lightly, I was taught that information is data that gives further inside into a topic, otherwise it's just data) could you please just try to sort of slightly refer to what maybe in some way or other could have perhaps indicated to you that this person was indeed The Edge?

and that all the people who told you it wasn't from day one were basically wrong because of all this proof you had that it was indeed The Edge?

because I'm really not able to deal with all this exciting new data and at the same remember that so far answers over here are as hard to come by as wmd's in Iraq

1) I wasnt the one to establish that, and conversations arent mine to share publicly. This refers again to (c) of my earlier post.

2) 'all the people' still do not KNOW WHO the poster is or is not. If you can provide some validation otherwise, I'd love to see it.

3) I think that's quite a stretch... comparing a fake Edge to WMD's in Iraq. :rolleyes:

And by the way.. Yoda rocks. My guess, you're a C3-PO fan.

Elvis said:

1) I wasnt the one to establish that, and conversations arent mine to share publicly. This refers again to (c) of my earlier post.

2) 'all the people' still do not KNOW WHO the poster is or is not. If you can provide some validation otherwise, I'd love to see it.

So who did establish that it was the Edge? And if all the people still do not know who the poster is, how on Earth was it established in the first place?? Especially to such a degree that you and Katey stated several times that this was the real deal (Katey even staking her credibility on it) and largely ignored statements and facts that suggested otherwise?

What evidence was presented to you by this other party that lead you to ignore the (seemingly more plentiful) evidence from the skeptical parties for so long? And really, the micro-managing line doesn't work. You were more visible when "The Edge" was posting than at any other time in this forum's existence. Hell, you replied or posted after almost every one of his/her posts. So what was this person's evidence that so compelled you to give Official status and announce that this was really the Edge? They must've really sold you on it. Or did you just simply take their word on it?

Staff Member X: "Hey Elvis, this guy's the Edge! No, really he is!"

Elvis: "Okey-dokey, if you say so..."

:|

Diemen said:

Staff Member X: "Hey Elvis, this guy's the Edge! No, really he is!"

Elvis: "Okey-dokey, if you say so..."

:|

Just wondering....

If Elvis quoted exactly what I have quoted above and posted the following reply:

Yes. That is EXACTLY what happened.

Would you believe it and be happy/satisfied?

Just wondering.

MadelynIris said:
Why would you be discussing suicidal mods with the Edge?

apparently it is ok as long as you dont mention names, or give the names of those people later when you publically admit to 22,000 people that you 'wont reveal the names'?.....
:huh:

elvis you need a lesson in minding your own business.

and for what it's worth, i am not referring to ethan. i am referring to a usergroup which has one member in it. a member who has never posted. a member since 2002. a member with a rather strange remote IP like dalkey's.

Elvis said:

3) I think that's quite a stretch... comparing a fake Edge to WMD's in Iraq. :rolleyes:

And by the way.. Yoda rocks. My guess, you're a C3-PO fan.
1. you weren't the one to establish what exactly?
+ am I correct in understanding that you can't share the proof an imposter who apparently deceived you and your entire staff mailed/pm'd you that would show all of us how it was possible for you to be deceived because of privacy reasons re. the fake information the imposter gave you?
because that would make no sense at all
I don't think anyone is interested in any other titbits the two of you shared (I don't have a strange obsession with reading two random people's private conversations) so I don't really need to see transcripts of conversations, just the most important and relevant facts
you know, the stuff we've been whining about the last couple of weeks

2. I don't even want to KNOW WHO the poster is
as far as I'm concerned it's your cousin or indeed Edge's cousin
I am just interested in what made YOU give him an OFFICIAL band status and why YOU REPEATEDLY posted that he was indeed THE EDGE

3. I am not comparing a fake Edge to WMD's in Iraq
I am comparing our attempts to get you to share anything on what made you reach your decision that this was indeed The Edge to the fruitless attempts to find WMD's in Iraq

at least I didn't compare my sudden departure from the mod team as a pre-emptive strike from your side

indra said:

Just wondering....

If Elvis quoted exactly what I have quoted above and posted the following reply:

Yes. That is EXACTLY what happened.

Would you believe it and be happy/satisfied?

Just wondering.

Despite my ever decreasing esteem for Elvis, I still don't think he is that stupid to take someone's word on THE EDGE posting here without any evidence.

If that in fact is really what happened, then Elvis is incredibly stupid.

But that's not what happened. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom