A Message to Our Readers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Stories

Dreadsox said:

Our FYM threads were being picked up by googles news search engines. If you went to google and news, threads that we were all participating in were showing up as news in google.

But which specific "media outlets" picked up the Edge business? u2live2001 said that the stories were "picked up." That's different than being googled.

I'd like everyone held to the same standards of truth and accuracy.

Re: Stories

Dreadsox said:

Our FYM threads were appearing in google news front page.

The "Ask the Edge" piece still appears on google news if you search for "u2 interference interview." Now the link goes to a blank page. The original interview page also goes to a blank page. Given the circumstances they should probably point to this thread instead.

moon_is_playing_tricks said:

For somebody who's supposedly living in SACRAMENTO, the least the faker *cough*wonderwhothatmightbe?*cough* could do is SPELL it right!

OHMYGAWD. that is pathetic. :rolleyes:

I don't even live in Sacramento and I know how to spell it. After all, for those of us in "cali" (NO ONE I know refers to California as "cali"... but I digress), it *is* our freakin' capital.

Moonie :mad:

I do live in Sacramento and I wrote a similar rant to someone the night that was posted. It was confirmed to me very shortly afterwards that that person was using the same IP as "The Edge" and his gang.

And completely off topic, the only people I know who refer to California as "cali" are non-Californians. Except for one person, apparently.

Egads. the "we don't KNOW if it was the Edge or not" is just plain stupid. I find it very difficult to believe that Joel didn't know about this from the beginning. He claims that he was duped like the rest of us. I still say bullshit. This was orchestrated from the beginning.

Going along with a lie... hmmm. yeah. I suppose it could be true. I mean, it would bring in more publicity to the site and more $$. But I still say bullshit. This was set up from the get-go. And go, it did.

I don't have any "proof" as to it being orchestrated or not... but that conversation and all the others was faker than a freakin' 3.00 bill. Kinda seems like a person's basically talking to himself back and forth, y'know?

Moonie

ThatGuy said:

I do live in Sacramento and I wrote a similar rant to someone the night that was posted. It was confirmed to me very shortly afterwards that that person was using the same IP as "The Edge" and his gang.

And completely off topic, the only people I know who refer to California as "cali" are non-Californians. Except for one person, apparently.

EXACTAMUNDO. ;)

I use So Cal occasionally, but never cali. :shrug:

However... Edge is a MENSA genius. And I'm sure he knows how to spell words correctly. And, since he has a home in California, he's probably aware of the fact that L.A. isn't the capital... Sacramento is!

Just a thought....

Do you get the impression that that conversation was totally one-sided? i.e. talking to oneself? :der:

Moonie :laugh:

No matter what I've already said or not, people continue to twist it, turn it, and mold it into their own grand conspiracy theories and libelous assumptions.

So let's recap:
I believed just as much as the next person, maybe even more, that this was the real deal as it was happening. This was not pre-planned, orchestrated, on the side of Interference. The entire zine staff was mislead, fooled, manipulated. The entire zine staff was also very upset when we finally did realize something may not be 'right'. No one on staff, zine or forum, orchestrated this. We still do not truly KNOW who 'the edge' was.

And for those of you seeking some new information...

There were other names used besides Don or Jill Smith. One such name was that of the "16 yr old girl" which supposedly had a surname of Walsh and only lived with her mother (not father)... which IF true, doesnt give much validity to the whole 'Don and Jill Smith' thing. Whomever this was also commented on things that were not yet public information, things that have since come out in recent interviews, and as well often made private comments about things going on with U2.com, as well as other things, prior to them happening. One interesting comment was brief, but pointed us to www.vertigocr.com , check if you're interested - maybe Vertigo really was a place and not some randomly chosen lyric? So what does this all mean? Bluntly... who the fuck knows. I'm confused to the point where I really dont give a shit about it anymore, as it's unlikely we'll ever KNOW anymore FACTS about it. What I do know is that from this point fwd interviews will be double checked and double confirmed as to source and content. As well, anyone on the forum that even attempts to come across as someone official in public (that I become aware of) will be asked to 'prove it' and explain what has trasnspired. Example... if Bono decided to start using one finger to say hello here on the forum... I'd tell him to have someone take a digital picture of him with Interference on the screen and him in the shot (someone suggested something like that, I like the idea).

And as for Angelas comments on someone who hasnt logged in since 2002 or whatever... I'm not sure who or what shes referring to.. however if it is refering to Ethan which is listed as an admin, it would be because Ethan is a friend of mine which helped convert the forum a couple years back... he also runs Murmurs.com.

It really is time to move past this. We're a month out from the release of an album that Universal reps have chained to their bodies. I'd like to spend the time being an excited U2 fan.

Joel

And by the way... I'm 3rd generation southern californian...

I use the words: cali, socal, south county (refering to south orange county.. yes as in 'the OC')

Elvis said:
I believed just as much as the next person, maybe even more, that this was the real deal as it was happening. This was not pre-planned, orchestrated, on the side of Interference. The entire zine staff was mislead, fooled, manipulated. The entire zine staff was also very upset when we finally did realize something may not be 'right'. No one on staff, zine or forum, orchestrated this. We still do not truly KNOW who 'the edge' was.

And that, Joel, is the hardest thing to believe about this whole mess: that someone could fool the entire zine staff of a site as large and as popular as this for as long as they did.

You can protest and protest your innocence, but honestly, who the hell is going to believe that someone could manipulate all the staff like that? Not to mention believing that the staff was... well, stupid and naive enough to just believe every single little thing they were told without even checking up on it properly?

I'll just sit over here with my overwhelming skepticism, thanks.

However... Edge is a MENSA genius. And I'm sure he knows how to spell words correctly.

ummm...not that I ever thought (or cared for that matter) The Edge poster was the Dave Evans, guitarist in U2, The Edge, but...being a MENSA genius does not always mean one can spell. My brother is a member of MENSA and both my sister and I test every bit as high as he does (or slightly higher -- it's been a while), although we chose not to join MENSA. All of us are lousy at spelling. Absolutely suck at it! I have other relatives who are, well, dumb as stumps, but can spell just about any word correctly...can't use any of them in coherent sentences. Genius does not necessarily mean fantastic speller.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

* edited to add:

I've seen things I've written on various bulletin boards show up on Google...doesn't mean they are official or true or anything. They simply happened to be the best fit for that particular search.

Last edited:
indra said:

ummm...not that I ever thought (or cared for that matter) The Edge poster was the Dave Evans, guitarist in U2, The Edge, but...being a MENSA genius does not always mean one can spell. My brother is a member of MENSA and both my sister and I test every bit as high as he does (or slightly higher -- it's been a while), although we chose not to join MENSA. All of us are lousy at spelling. Absolutely suck at it! I have other relatives who are, well, dumb as stumps, but can spell just about any word correctly...can't use any of them in coherent sentences. Genius does not necessarily mean fantastic speller.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

Actually, my point was... if you're supposedly living in a city as big as Sacramento (and it being the state of California's capital, no less), you'd be able to spell it correctly.

Maybe it's being nitpicky... but yeah. that's what I meant.

Moonie :D

Renne said:

And that, Joel, is the hardest thing to believe about this whole mess: that someone could fool the entire zine staff of a site as large and as popular as this for as long as they did.

You can protest and protest your innocence, but honestly, who the hell is going to believe that someone could manipulate all the staff like that? Not to mention believing that the staff was... well, stupid and naive enough to just believe every single little thing they were told without even checking up on it properly?

I'll just sit over here with my overwhelming skepticism, thanks.

What he said.

:up:

Moonie

Actually, my point was... if you're supposedly living in a city as big as Sacramento (and it being the state of California's capital, no less), you'd be able to spell it correctly.

Maybe it's being nitpicky... but yeah. that's what I meant.

Which is what you should have said in the first place. After all, we can't have people slandering bad spelling MENSA members, now can we? :D

Bad spellers, UNTIE!! :D

And you would be amazed how badly I can fuck up the spelling of Cincinnati!

Last edited:
Elvis said:
No matter what I've already said or not, people continue to twist it, turn it, and mold it into their own grand conspiracy theories and libelous assumptions.

And so it seems my point has already been proven. The more details I tell, the less people believe about what I'm telling. Oh well. :shrug:

I'm not twisting or turning it. I'm just not believing it because it is, at heart, completely unbelievable that the admin of a site this large could be that stupid as to believe all this without proper verification.

indra said:

Which is what you should have said in the first place. After all, we can't have people slandering bad spelling MENSA members, now can we? :D

Bad spellers, UNTIE!! :D

And you would be amazed how badly I can fuck up the spelling of Cincinnati!

:lol:

yeah... I'm probably one of those biased people... I'm a stickler for spelling and always have been. I read books and find typos. Not that I do it on purpose or anything, it just happens. :D

Renne said:
I'm not twisting or turning it. I'm just not believing it because it is, at heart, completely unbelievable that the admin of a site this large could be that stupid as to believe all this without proper verification.

It is also completely unbelievable that an admin of a site this large micromanages every single thing that goes on here, or it's staff.

Elvis said:
It is also completely unbelievable that an admin of a site this large micromanages every single thing that goes on here, or it's staff.

Oh, come on Joel, don't play me for the fool.

We're not talking about some little thing here that it would be acceptable for admin not to micromanage. We're talking about "The Edge" posting here - it's not exactly like it was some minor little thing that shouldn't have required your attention.

After all, you were keen enough to post then which means it didn't exactly just, y'know, slip past you that all this was happening.

Last edited:
Renne said:

Oh, come on Joel, don't play me for the fool.

We're not talking about some little thing here that it would be acceptable for admin not to micromanage. We're talking about "The Edge" posting here - it's not exactly like it was some minor little thing that shouldn't have required your attention.

After all, you were keen enough to post then which means it didn't exactly just, y'know, slip past you that all this was happening.

Renne,

It was a general statement based on my opinion, just like yours was based on your opinion.

Don't twist my words. I didnt say anything about 'the edge'.

Thanks,

Joel

If I thought I was about to post an INTERVIEW with the BAND that was the inspiration for this large site, then I would micromanage like a sonofabitch.... but thats just me. :| :| :| :|

Clubs named Vertigo were mentioned on this site as far back as July, so I suppose it wouldn't be that hard for someone to actually find the website to the one in Costa Rica, it wouldn't take a MENSA to do that. :ohmy:

Elvis said:
And so it seems my point has already been proven. The more details I tell, the less people believe about what I'm telling. Oh well. :shrug:

I'm real sorry but I haven't actually read any real details. It would be good if you could just post the document you said the 1st day of this thread you were preparing with the details of exactly what happened. The actual facts can't be any worse that what a lot of people already think, can they?

It doesn't have to be a thesis, just a brief recap (with actual facts and details) of what led you and/or the staff to believe that this was "The Edge". I'm not sure what could possibly be so difficult or take so much time that this can't be done? If you were fooled fine, but there were/was person(s) that work for this site who were swearing by this, why? Have you requested that they give you the details of why they were so sure of this person's identity? I would have to assume so, given that it's your reputation that's really at stake.

The facts clearly and concisely stated would put this whole thread and issue to rest. Why is that so difficult?

P.S. Based on one of your last posts, I take it that you've been reading our infamous impersonator's posts on the atu2 forum.

Re: Re: Re: Stories

Renne said:

What, admin's standards of truth and accuracy?

No. The standards that others are using against him. All the bitchers are making such grand statements (repeatedly) about who knew what and what they should have done to check it. I'm saying that's a great idea. Let's start now. WHAT "media outlets"?

ramblin rose said:
P.S. Based on one of your last posts, I take it that you've been reading our infamous impersonator's posts on the atu2 forum.

Nope. This is based purely on Interference.

Renne said:

Yes. It was a very typical post from you.

You didn't say anything about anything. :rolleyes:

Funny... I just recall a few posts ago posting a bit of new information which I hadnt mentioned publicly before. Guess that's nothing. :scratch:

Elvis said:
Funny... I just recall a few posts ago posting a bit of new information which I hadnt mentioned publicly before. Guess that's nothing. :scratch:

How about posting more than a vague snippet of new information, then? Why not post all the new information you "haven't mentioned publicly before"?

Because your post sure as hell implies that there is a whole lot more.

Why is it so bloody hard for you to come clean with this? That's what I can't understand.

Last edited:
Elvis said:

Boo hoo. What a baby.

You post basically nothing - "A person said some wierd things about some other shit and then some stuff happened" - and cry when people dismiss it?

Where is the timeline? Where are the emails? Where are the names? Where is the full disclosure?

Feel free to talk about "privacy" - but that just continues to make it look like you either don't give a shit, or you are covering for someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom