A Message to Our Readers - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 11:01 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 08:27 PM
Oooooo I am embarrassed! I even told my friends that I talked to the Edge. I am so fricken gullible!!

Old 10-15-2004, 11:02 AM   #17
Creator of the Blue Crack

Quote:
Originally posted by ylimeU2

Why not just apoligize?

We are sorry that any of this has happened, and how it has transpired. We said in our 'message', "Despite accusations, no persons from this staff was or are involved in any misrepresentation or deception on the forums or in interviews", and that's the truth. If this was a hoax, which at this time we are unable to confirm or deny, we were just as fooled as anyone else in the end. We believe that at this point in time it was better to end this, than let it continue, in good faith. I'll continue to try and answer some questions about this to whatever capacity I'm comfortable with.

For instance... Were 'The Edge' and 'Dalkey Beach' the same person? YES, as far as we know - this is the internet, and unless we were watching the person type, it's ultimately imposssible to know for SURE.

Joel

FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:06 AM   #18
Refugee

Again, I'm just struck by how incredibly unprofessionally this whole matter was handled.

Elvis-

The first thing that should have been done before any interview was published (much less before the faker was given special status) was to verify with official band representatives that it really was The Edge. That, obviously, was not done.

When it became clear that the true identity of the faker was in doubt the best course of action would have been to be more honest and upfront with the members of the site. Issuing weak mea culpas while apparently ensconced in the Fortress of Solitude was not good enough. Closing threads rather than dealing with the issues raised in them also made it look like you had something to hide

Finally, now that the fraud has been exposed, the least you could do would be to apologize for not doing your job by getting validation of the poster's identity from official sources. Extraordinary claims do require extraordinary evidence, and if you did not have such evidence then you should not have run the interview in the first place. Personally, I always trusted and valued the reputation of Interference, and it's sad that I apparently did so more than the site owner himself.

Also, it's nice that you're sticking up for yourself and your staff by stating that no one connected to the site had any involvement in this hoax. However you'll have to forgive us if we don't believe you. After all, you've given us no evidence that your word means anything at all.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:10 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis

We are sorry that any of this has happened, and how it has transpired. We said in our 'message', "Despite accusations, no persons from this staff was or are involved in any misrepresentation or deception on the forums or in interviews", and that's the truth. If this was a hoax, which at this time we are unable to confirm or deny, we were just as fooled as anyone else in the end. We believe that at this point in time it was better to end this, than let it continue, in good faith. I'll continue to try and answer some questions about this to whatever capacity I'm comfortable with.

For instance... Were 'The Edge' and 'Dalkey Beach' the same person? YES, as far as we know - this is the internet, and unless we were watching the person type, it's ultimately imposssible to know for SURE.

Joel
That's all I wanted. Thank you. I'll shut up about this now.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:13 AM   #20
Refugee

"I'm sorry that this happened" is not an apology.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:14 AM   #21
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:27 PM
Quote:
I'll continue to try and answer some questions about this to whatever capacity I'm comfortable with.
Maybe this is something you are not comfortable sharing, but why were you so sure that this was The Edge that **you** were communicating with? Just blind hope like the rest of us or something more?
Old 10-15-2004, 11:20 AM   #22
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave

Maybe this is something you are not comfortable sharing, but why were you so sure that this was The Edge that you were communicating with? Just blind hope like the rest of us or something more?

That's probably what I'd most like to know too.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:26 AM   #23
Babyface

Quote:

If this was a hoax, which at this time we are unable to confirm or deny, we were just as fooled as anyone else in the end. We believe that at this point in time it was better to end this, than let it continue, in good faith.
Just to clarify... is it your position that you are still unsure whether this was the Edge?
Old 10-15-2004, 11:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave

Maybe this is something you are not comfortable sharing, but why were you so sure that this was The Edge that **you** were communicating with? Just blind hope like the rest of us or something more?

question 1... there were many things said in private between this person and staff members that would tend to validate all of this. Some of these things were not public information at the time, and have actually since been published in print. To be completely honest, RIGHT NOW, we are not sure what the ENTIRE truth is, and we may never. Right now, I'm not sure what private discussions we're willing to share... that's something we are, and have been, discussing - and when/if we decide to do so, we will.

question 2... based on q1, I'd have to say 'something more'. I'd also like to point out that it is not as easy as some suggest to get 'official' confirmation OR denial.

Again, in reply to other posts, I'd like to make it CLEAR that if this was indeed a hoax, none of our staff or team members, nor myself, were behind it.

Joel
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:33 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
No, not really, I'm just sick of it.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:34 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Unless Elvis obtained something from us based on what he knew to be false, I'm not sure he owes us an apology.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Unless Elvis obtained something from us based on what he knew to be false, I'm not sure he owes us an apology.
Thanks. The fact is, I'm not sure what I can offer an apology for. We haven't purposely misled anyone at any point, through any of this.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:37 AM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

It's not that he necessarily knew it was false, it was that he didn't absolutely know it was true.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:49 AM   #29

Quote:

It's not that he necessarily knew it was false, it was that he didn't absolutely know it was true.

We posted the interviews based on the information we had at the time, which was substantial enough for us to not believe otherwise. Again, at this point, what the TRUTH is... is still unsure and remain to be so. The interviews were taken down in good faith - not because we were told to do so.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:51 AM   #30
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by brook

Just to clarify... is it your position that you are still unsure whether this was the Edge?