A Message to Our Readers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Salome said:
I think there is something very real to being misled, lied to and ignored for weeks

if that's bitching
then shame on me

Shame on you then.

It's a fucking MESSAGE BOARD! It's NOT a big deal.

Well, maybe it is to you, and if so, that is pitiful. Or great. I guess it could be great if this is what you have to complain about.

Last edited:
EPandAmerica said:
Okay, lets just assume that I'm smarter than the average bear shall we.
Even though the interview had a strange feel to it, I believed it to be given by somone in the U2 camp to someone in the Interference camp.
BUT after the first few The Edge posts I was more than :eyebrow:, then when he went OFF on Jick that is when I knew that the person posting as The Edge was not the guitar player in the band U2. You would think that Elvis or any of the people involved in the running of this site would have had a CLUE by then, but no Elvis just said "BRAVO" at the post directed towards J. :| :| :|

*edit to say I am referring to the Band interview.

After I read that inappropriate terrorist reference "The Edge" made to Jick I hoped it wasn't the real Edge cause the poster sounded like a self centered prick. Though it still hasn't been confirmed whether or not it really is Edge, I still hope it isn't him.

indra said:

Is Joel often a prick -- well duh! I knew that when I signed up, I knew that when I paid for premium membership, I knew that when I made a donation for the new server, and anyone else who reads even a few sections of this site knows he is too. Yep Joel is often a prick, but I have yet to find a U2 site that is as much fun. You aren't going to change him, so you have to decide if you can live with that, or leave.

I'm really not sure how I want to take that. I'm OFTEN a prick? Geez, I hardly ever even post.

mkjc said:

After I read that inappropriate terrorist reference "The Edge" made to Jick I hoped it wasn't the real Edge cause the poster sounded like a self centered prick. Though it still hasn't been confirmed whether or not it really is Edge, I still hope it isn't him.

if i was the edge, i'd say the same thing, imo it wasn't that inappropriate given the fact that this was a U2 board and everyone loved Vertigo, and then all of a sudden someone is trying to force their opinion on us that its drivel because he uses power chords (beautiful day or elevation anyone?)

th_butthead.gif

I would just like to say that I ALSO renewed my membership in order to search for Edge's post. I encourage others who did the same to post in this thread and let Elvis know just how many users it was. I refuse to believe that it was "the normal monthly amount". However, I could see how it might not set a record for the most memberships in a month.

Ody said:
I would just like to say that I ALSO renewed my membership in order to search for Edge's post. I encourage others who did the same to post in this thread and let Elvis know just how many users it was. I refuse to believe that it was "the normal monthly amount". However, I could see how it might not set a record for the most memberships in a month.

I was actually just looking at the new registration stats this morning, for other reasons, but again.. noticed that 'the edge' stuff didnt even affect our normal pattern, and infact in the week of the 'interview', registrations were down a bit. Just thought I'd share.

Salome said:
I am almost at the point of calling Elvis some colourful language myself just to check whether he hasn't just blocked me and that's why he he isn't able to read my posts and answer them
of course I wouldn't do a thing like that because all of us here are one warm happy little community

for the people who like to point out that we should be focussing on U2's music instead of this: your reason is lost on me
I can happily play U2 24/7 if I'd want to but that doesn't change that I won't let anyone treat me like I'm just so plain stupid
and that's what has happened over here the last couple of weeks to all of us
that we wouldn't find out what happened and that it will all just fade away

but I'm not willing to let another fiasco like this just fade away and pretend that weeks of being misled, lied to and ignored equals to someone just making a mistake for once in his life
it probably would be a nicer world if I could just believe this
then again I might end up buying some swamp land instead of proper real estate from some nice lady with a good story if I were that gullible

:up:

Elvis said:

It's in your Private Messages, and has been. I'm sure you know how to view them, you've been using them for quite sometime. It was sent today.
yes, I can use my Private Message box
even you could probably use mine

indra said:

Shame on you then.

It's a fucking MESSAGE BOARD! It's NOT a big deal.

Well, maybe it is to you, and if so, that is pitiful. Or great. I guess it could be great if this is what you have to complain about.
I fail to see what the difference is on how I am treated in real life to on a forum
the same rules of decency apply

if it was a fucking message board than I would have been even more surprised to see The Edge post there

WAIT IM CONFUSED DOES TEH EDGE LIEK DIME BARZ OR NOT?!?!?! PLZ ANSWR SOON!!!1!

But seriously, folks. Those tired of the "dead horse" can easily leave. There are thousands of other threads; go knock yourself out somewhere else. This thread is here to discuss what happened (until Joel closes it, naturally). Either deal with people debating and making their points or piss off.

I truly hope that if people take anything out of what happened, it's that this site cannot provide you with totally credible news. Period. Personal preferences regarding the site and the way it's run aside, there are simply too many journalistic issues for one to make Interference THE site for official U2 news. Sad, really, because it's a pretty darn good community overall.

Some of the things that have irritated me over the years (and yes, I've been here for years - pay no attention to the post count, or my name for that matter) are little things, for sure.

Like misleading headlines, for example. Like a news headline on Interference a while back that said "Scissor Sisters to Tour With U2". It SAID THAT! As if it were flat-out true! No need to read the article, you just got the information you needed!

Now, I'm willing to admit that maybe the headline came from the linked site that hosted the original article, but are you telling me that none of the "senior staff" (*genuflects*) compared the headline to the article (which basically consisted of a rumor, some vague information without any sources actually being cited, and absolutely NOTHING coming even CLOSE to saying that the SSs were going to tour with U2)? Oh, and not to mention that the Interference headline appeared WEEKS after the fact (and was covered CORRECTLY as it first happened by u2log.com, among other sites). But I digress.

And then there was "SOLAR". Oh, the humanity. But Interference said it, so it MUST be true! Yet, if Interference is so buddy-buddy with U2/PM, one would think that it could have been easily confirmed or denied (BEFORE posting it as legitimate, mind you) with a simple phone call or an email to an address that didn't end in yahoo.com or hotmail.com or what have you. Because I wouldn't put 100% faith in theedgenoreally@yahoo.com, y'know? Or dsmith@hotmail.com, or whoever the latest "culprit" was.

And that leads me up to this whole debacle. Is the staff seriously trying to put forth the excuses that we've seen so far, while also pretty much admitting that they were basing their beliefs on communication coming from an email address that didn't end in u2.com or island.co.uk or SOMETHING THAT ACTUALLY MADE SOME SENSE?!

Oh, wait, I guess I forgot the OMG CELL PHONE CALL WITH TEH EDGE!!! Unreal. This is what counts for journalistic integrity?

Maybe some more information regarding what exactly was said to whom would help to bring my jaw up from the floor, but at this point, this "confirmation" that Joel et al were so SURE about is jaw-droppingly absurd and pathetic.

Finally, and I think the most important issue here (no, it's NOT the validity of the identity of the poster posing as The Edge) is the total joke of an interview that was posted. Posted on the FRONT PAGE, no less. This whole Edge mess happened in the forums, and not in direct view of a general public. I had to cringe as my local radio station mentioned how Interference was a great site with this "exclusive" interview. Just awful.

First off, we don't know WHO was interviewed. Interference interviewed "U2". What the HELL does that mean? "U2" is not a person. Next, WHO conducted the interview? The "senior staff" again. Were they all speaking simultaneously? How was the interview conducted? Email? Are you serious? And I don't suppose it came from a legitimate U2 email address, either, else that would have been perfect proof of legitimacy.

Once again, there's been NO real information given; we're simply asked to accept everything in good faith. And I don't believe we'll ever have any real information, because THERE ISN'T ANY that wouldn't be many times more damning than what we've already heard.

If you continue to use this site as your main source for information, good luck. I really can't see why one would, what with the glut of available U2 news sites.

How many times will you be misled before you decide to put your "good faith" in something worthwhile? I truly feel bad for the new fans who didn't know any better. I hope they'll make a smart decision and not have the wool pulled over their eyes like so many others.

And I do feel bad for Interference, honestly. Because if things don't change, and people don't demand more from this site, things will continue to fall apart like this. And the people here and the relationships that have been forged over time are great, and shouldn't be subject to this garbage.

I'm gonna go have a Dime Bar now.

Elvis said:

I'm really not sure how I want to take that. I'm OFTEN a prick? Geez, I hardly ever even post.

Hey! At least I didn't say ALWAYS! ;)

And considering the tenor of some of the posts in this thread, I think you could consider it a compliment. :D

indra said:

nbcrusader and I don't agree about much, ;) but I mostly agree this time.

My favorite lyricist wrote what I consider an appropriate line for this lovely affair, Interference, and the internet in general: "It's not a religion, it's just a technique."

C'mon, it's just an entertainment website. If you're so furious you can't see straight, ask for your money back (if you are a premium member or made a donation) and leave; if you want to stay, do so, but don't be so blindly accepting of what you read on the internet. What I mean is that you have to decide for yourself, ALWAYS, what to believe and what not to, especially on message boards. Some things you will never know, even if you feel you have the right. Understanding and accepting that makes life so much easier. You can make decisions, but often you will not know absolutely everything.

Did I think it was The Edge posting here? Well, I thought it would be nice if true, but to be honest, I wouldn't have anything to talk to him about...I actually tried to think of what I would ask -- and I came up blank. I was unhappy with his (or whatever it turned out to be) response to Jick (and with many others who posted in response to that post). In fact I was writing a reply to The Edge poster (ripping him a new a**hole, I might add!) at the very time that thread was locked (which led to my "I hate closed threads" rant in zoo confessionals :D ). At that point I decided to simply ignore all further posts by that person, because whoever it was, I didn't much care for him. So I went back to doing what brought me to this site in the first place -- discussing various topics.

Are there things I dislike about this site? Certainly, just like everything else in life. And there are things I do like. So I weigh the good vs the bad and decide if I want to keep posting or not. So far, I'm still enjoying it (and don't mind paying $12USD per year to be nosy and see profiles. :D And 'cause I really hate getting a server too busy message, a donation as well!).

I guess what I don't understand is the people who say "I'll never trust you," but keep posting. If you aren't ever going to trust the people running this site, why are you still here? If I don't trust a friend/lover, they are history -- immediately.

Ah, well...I'm just kind of rambling now.

Whoa!!! I almost wrote an angry pm to "The Edge" regarding his "terrorist" comment too. I used to work across the street from WTC so I thought it was a pretty stupid thing to say to a guy who just made an observation about a song.

Your comment is very sound and I agree with it almost word for word. Seeing as how you're from OH, without saying who I am voting for, I sure hope we also agree on who we want as the next president.

U2Rob said:
WAIT IM CONFUSED DOES TEH EDGE LIEK DIME BARZ OR NOT?!?!?! PLZ ANSWR SOON!!!1!

I'm gonna go have a Dime Bar now.

Don't go there. What exactly am I supposed to do with the case of 100 dime bars that I bought to take on tour with me.:huh:

j/k

U2Rob said:

But seriously, folks. Those tired of the "dead horse" can easily leave. There are thousands of other threads; go knock yourself out somewhere else. This thread is here to discuss what happened (until Joel closes it, naturally). Either deal with people debating and making their points or piss off.

First, I'm a member here, the same as you, and I will say whatever I want here. If YOU don't like it, perhaps YOU should piss off. I'm am discussing the same issue, I just have a different viewpoint. So get the hell off your high horse.

Last edited:
ramblin rose said:

Don't go there. What exactly am I supposed to do with the case of 100 dime bars that I bought to take on tour with me.:huh:

j/k

Are you going through Chicago, by any chance? :D

mkjc said:

Whoa!!! I almost wrote an angry pm to "The Edge" regarding his "terrorist" comment too. I used to work across the street from WTC so I thought it was a pretty stupid thing to say to a guy who just made an observation about a song.

Your comment is very sound and I agree with it almost word for word. Seeing as how you're from OH, without saying who I am voting for, I sure hope we also agree on who we want as the next president.

Oh yeah, it was such a stupid, irritating comment (as were many by other posters praising it :madspit: ), and I blasted out a reply...and the damned thread was locked! Agggrrrhh! I don't give a crap if I'm lied to here, but I hate it when a thread is locked as I'm writing a reply!!! :rant: OK, I feel better now. :rolleyes:

I also hope we agree on the next pres, too! :)

ramblin rose said:

Do you think Edge is going to wonder why everyone is handing him Dime Bars.

Probably! Hey, just be glad "he" didn't say his favorite candy/snack was hashish brownies! Can you imagine everyone trying to smuggle those into the venues?

indra said:

First, I'm a member here, the same as you, and I will say whatever I want here. If YOU don't like it, perhaps YOU should piss off. I'm am discussing the same issue, I just have a different viewpoint. So get the hell off your high horse.

As far as I can tell, your viewpoint is simply that you want this thread to die, or to be used for something other than what it was established for.

Who are you to decide when people should drop this issue? People still seem to have things to say. This is not yet completely swept under the rug. Give it time, though; I'm sure you'll have your wish soon enough.

If you don't want to be exposed to it, though, nobody is making you visit this thread, OR post to it, for that matter.

indra said:

Oh yeah, it was such a stupid, irritating comment (as were many by other posters praising it :madspit: ), and I blasted out a reply...and the damned thread was locked! Agggrrrhh! I don't give a crap if I'm lied to here, but I hate it when a thread is locked as I'm writing a reply!!! :rant: OK, I feel better now. :rolleyes:

I also hope we agree on the next pres, too! :)

I still don't see whats wrong with the terrorist comment, maybe its because I'm Canadian? (remember, the Irish have a different perspective on Terrorism because its existed in their country for decades). Anyways you see why if it really was Edge, why theyd make it look like a hoax, because a lot of people started turning on him

Last edited:
bcrt2000 said:

I still don't see whats wrong with the terrorist comment, maybe its because I'm Canadian? (remember, the Irish have a different perspective on Terrorism because its existed in their country for decades). Anyways you see why if it really was Edge, why theyd make it look like a hoax, because a lot of people started turning on him

:up: I don't hate Jick but the terrorist commentary wasn’t so bad. He was not saying the guy was an actual terrorist. I agreed with what he said. You got to understand that if you don't know Jick and you just started posting here, you do get the feeling that that man is just here to bash on U2 as he most of the times doesn't seem to have absolutely NOTHING of good to say about U2, much on the contray actually.

Elvis still hasn’t answered my question. :|

by the way, anyone noticed how the so-called "Edge" mentioned that they are going back to their punk-rock roots, and now after listening to ABOY & the new version of Desire, and seeing the new attire (ie straw hat) that they really are trying to recreate the punk-rock image? also him mentioning electric co and exit were being rehearsed.. i think there are too many coincidences for it NOT to be the real Edge or someone else close to the band

TheBrazilianFly said:
He did say that they were rehearsing Teh Electrioc CO. but I don't think he said they were rehearsing Exit, or did he? :scratch:

he mentioned it in the tentative set list

bcrt2000 said:

he mentioned it in the tentative set list

But I think that was a joke from the poster. We can't really take that list serious. It was however a great list and if you pay attention to the way the songs are put together, it seems like a very professional set list. :yes:

martha said:
I don't even know what a dime bar is. :reject:

it's some candy that I think is supposed to be sold in Ireland. I hadn't heard of it either so I looked online at the few Irish stores in town that I go to. They sell everything else Irish including tons of candy and other foods but they don't sell dime bars :eyebrow:

I think I found them on google but I dont' remember what they said they are :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom