A Message to Our Readers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I am one confused one!
I have a baby on the way, an asshole ex-boyfriend who refuses to acknowledge me or the baby, a friend who is mad at me for changing my last name, my job is on the line, my friend who was supposed to hook me up with backstage passes to future U2 concerts decided to tour with REM- and not U2- this year, my plans for a summer tour of Europe is postponed, my trip to Mexico next month for some R &R is canceled, I owe about $7000 in bills, my car needs new tires, I have a pimple on my face, and I have gained 8 pounds in the past two weeks.
Surely, people, there are more problems to life than Edge, or not, posting on this forum, and the site owners not knowing or knowing about it.
As for me, a real U2 fan, I am heading to bed and listening to a U2 album to help me find some peace.

Peace N Love to you all.

Re: Re: We interrupt the dead horse beating for this important message:

indra said:
Various people wanted official confirmation from the powers that be on this site that The Edge isn't the real The Edge, wanted to know what happened, and wanted an apology. You have all three -- nope it isn't The Edge, the powers didn't verify the poster's identity thoroughly, and the powers that be on this site apologised.

Actually, we don't have all 3. I'm still hearing, well it could be Edge, or not... I'm not sure, we'll never be sure. Maybe he just changed his mind. Whatever. I'm not really all that excited on the apologies either... it's more like we got duped and I'm sorry about that than I'm truly deeply sorry for harming this community.

Except for Katey. I'll give her props for that. She's offered a real apology. Fair play.

Just to clarify, the last time this happened, the poster called The Edge (and it was The Edge and not Bono) was assigned a status (it was The Band as I recall) that singled him out as unique. It just wasn't blown up as big as this.

Quite a few people left this community after that event, new people came and memories grew short.

ThatGuy said:

what will it matter if it happens a third

Well as far as I know this is the 2nd time "Edge" has been here but last year there was also "SOLAR." So that is a third time. That was exclusive news to this site and it came with a damn fine looking photoshop poster too. It was being heavily endorsed by some of the senior staff on this site but no other place even touched it other than to say it was a fake. From what I saw on other sites about Solar everything pointed in the direction of FAKE except for on this site where it was being run as an exclusive. From that point on I haven't trusted a damn exlcusive anything from this place. I'm sure all of the threads have been long deleted or I'd go dig them up again but (but I really wouldn't because it's not worth my time and what's the point?) I'm sure there are plenty of people that remember the exclusive Solar news from last year that this site promoted.

I love it here. I love the friends I've made here, whether I've met them in person or not. I'm not going to leave but the credibility of this place is gone and anything in that news forum marked exclusive from now on won't mean a damn thing to me. At this point there's nothing this place can do to redeem themselves because how would I know it's not just another Edge or Solar incident?

starsgoblue said:
Oh, here's my dead horse....right where I left him.... :|

If it bothers you that people still want to discuss this then why do you keep coming to this thread? It's not the first time I've seen you make this comment. You're not a premium member so you haven't paid anything to this site. If you're money was being used to promote trash I think you'd be pissed too. Maybe you should pay up your $12.00 and donate to the new server too. Then you can complain all you want about beating a dead horse. But until then you should stop because this situation doesn't affect you in the same way that it does for people who pay (and have paid several times) to be here.

Anyone else who has paid and wants to agree with Starsgoblue that's fine with me. But I'm tired of reading comments from people who haven't paid a cent to be here about how sick they are of this topic. I probably wouldn't care that this whole thing happened if I didn't pay money to be here either.

arw9797 said:
I love it here. I love the friends I've made here, whether I've met them in person or not. I'm not going to leave but the credibility of this place is gone...

So true... so very true...

I was shocked at the interview, and knew it couldn't be real. Yeah, this creates a credibility problem. I'm staying and I hope others will too.

indra said:
Have any of you ever made a mistake on your job or in school or at home? (If you haven't, head on over to the pile of rocks...stoning to commence shortly! woohoo!!) If you have ever made a mistake, did you have to not only apologise to EVERYONE in the firm, school, home, plus all customers, friends, relatives, etc., etc., but also tell everyone of these people and groups every nitty gritty little detail? I really doubt anyone has.
yes but there's a big difference between a mistake and a mistake that ruins the reputations of everyone on the staff. if you made a mistake that completely ruined the rep of the president and vice president, as well as the board members, don't you think you'd be fired for that? at the very least?

i'm not saying i think this should happen to katey, i guess i'm saying i can see where people like martha are coming from. but i do have to give it to katey, she is apologizing for what she did. some people on here have been honing in on her and giving her way more shit for this than she may deserve.

also, i'd just like to concur that the horse is really a beaten and bloodied beyond recognition. is there really anything else to say on this subject? i'm not saying to let it fade into obscurity or anything, but i'm just wondering if there's anything left to ask (aside from things that have already been said won't be answered). i know most of you (esp. the pm) feel you deserve answers and explanations, but that's what i'm asking: what is there left to ask that elvis hasn't refused to answer?

Could I suggest that some sort of statement goes onto the front page of interference?

I say this purely because there are probably still be alot of fans coming here excitedly waiting to read more posts from Edge, who have not been into 'Inside Broadcast', even though it says 'check for updates upon each visit'. I've never come here before now..

I think that without a front page statement, folks are going to continue believing that the interview and the posts were kosher, and the 'I'm confused' posts will just carry on and on and on..

Jim said:
Could I suggest that some sort of statement goes onto the front page of interference?

I say this purely because there are probably still be alot of fans coming here excitedly waiting to read more posts from Edge, who have not been into 'Inside Broadcast', even though it says 'check for updates upon each visit'. I've never come here before now..

I think that without a front page statement, folks are going to continue believing that the interview and the posts were kosher, and the 'I'm confused' posts will just carry on and on and on..

There is currently an announcement in every forum pointing to this thread. The front page of this site is not actually the main entry point for most people.

Blue Room said:
See, why rehash what I said before, its obvious you didnt read it. There were things that were different the last time this was done. But since you like to slap labels around and make vague all inclusive statements about things that were never said I will explain AGAIN just for YOU!

Last time Elvis never said the posts were legitimate. The posts made were vague and said nothing basically and ended within a few days. I thought it was misleading and it did piss me off. This time, official status was afforded and supposedly confirmed. There was even an interview claiming to be real. Can you see a difference here??? I figured since "official" status was afforded Elvis had double and quadruple checked the legitimacy. I also figured because how big this site has become since the last time he would not jeapardize its reputation. So I believed it was probebly real this time. Thats why it will be different for me if anything like this happens again. Is that getting through!!

Also, I never did let the prior issue go. If you really need proof, search my posts for the past 1 1/2. I have brought up the fact that Elvis did this before several times even before the Edge posts started this time.

I have to agree with Blue Room.

On the old WIRE, when fake posts were presented, they too would last for a few days. First, there was the "who is this?" questioning. Then the speculation that it was a member (or rep) from the band! Then it was proven false. The same thing happened a few years ago on Interference. And sadly, certain members on this site were involved in those hoaxes.

However, this time, if it was a hoax, it went VERY far. As Blue Room stated, official status was given. Elvis as well as other staff members adamantly stated this was real - some even staking their reputations on it (sadly, those reputations are now meaningless). For the group to then say, "sorry, we were all fooled" is exactly what NONE of us wanted to hear. In other words, this is the worst possible outcome. We would have rather seen this nipped early - and it could have been had a certain mod been paid more attention.

But the fact is, based on all the clues provided, most stemming from the utterly banal posts, the poor grammar, the "terrorist" comment and the use of Elvis's Edge picture, it was clear for quite some time this was not the real Edge. We just needed the staff to admit this sooner.

The real tragedy, though, is that this has hurt ALL U2 fan sites. In the future, a fan site may indeed secure a real interview - but based on what has happened here, no one will believe it. Alternatively, a band member may grace us with his presence, but again, no one will believe it. Basically, certain people have "cried wolf" once too many times. This incident leaves a mark on all U2 fan sites and that is a shame. Because there are many innocent people both here and at those sites.

doctorwho said:

But the fact is, based on all the clues provided, most stemming from the utterly banal posts, the poor grammar, the "terrorist" comment and the use of Elvis's Edge picture, it was clear for quite some time this was not the real Edge. We just needed the staff to admit this sooner.

Doc... it was NOT my picture! lol.

I've already posted MY picture in this thread.

Here it is again....

From Oct. 2000, Universal Studios, sound stage 53 (I think):

DSCF0018.jpg

TheBrazilianFly said:

But I think that was intentionally done as a joke cause there was songs there that they probably are not going to play again. But whatever. :shrug:

I agree.. plus I've heard Dallas soundcheck with bits and pieces from various songs.. Zoo Station on the Popmart tour for example.. doesn't mean it's likely to be played at anytime soon. I didn't hear Electric Co at the BBC, but there are dozens of guitar sounds being played during soundcheck so maybe somebody gleaned something of ELectric Co :shrug:

Calvin N. Hobbes said:
How was the REM concert?

:edge:

Solid, Brilliant, and Perfectly REM.

From the 10th row... sorry, sort of blurry - its from a camera phone:

rem1.jpg

Cant wait to see them again in November :D

KhanadaRhodes said:
what is there left to ask that elvis hasn't refused to answer?
I didn't read exactly what he refused to answer
(I would guess every sensible question probably)

so I guess that leaves:
just about every question I asked on this site the last couple of weeks

Bitch all you want. Many of you have state you will never trust the staff here after this. So you have a decision to make. Either decide you are going to stay and enjoy what is here (you don't need to trust people to post on a message board -- I don't trust anyone here, doesn't mean I won't bullshit with you), you can leave and find someplace more to your liking (you can even start your own forum -- what a novel idea!), or you can keep bitching and whining about something that has less real meaning than a glob of snot.

Somehow I think for many the snot is going to win. Enjoy!

Elvis said:
Salome, I'd urge you to read your PMs. I sent you one awhile ago.
that's odd
I never received that one

perhaps you sent it to Anna instead since you seem to have problems keeping the two of us apart

Salome said:
that's odd
I never received that one

perhaps you sent it to Anna instead since you seem to have problems keeping the two of us apart

My message tracking confirms it was sent to you.

indra said:
or you can keep bitching and whining about something that has less real meaning than a glob of snot.
I think there is something very real to being misled, lied to and ignored for weeks

if that's bitching
then shame on me

Elvis said:

My message tracking confirms it was sent to you.
I don't have a lot of trust in your abilities to track anything really

perhaps you send it to me while you had my arse banned?

just send it again though,
I always enjoy a good story

Salome said:
I don't have a lot of trust in your abilities to track anything really

perhaps you send it to me while you had my arse banned?

just send it again though,
I always enjoy a good story

It's in your Private Messages, and has been. I'm sure you know how to view them, you've been using them for quite sometime. It was sent today.

KhanadaRhodes said:

yes but there's a big difference between a mistake and a mistake that ruins the reputations of everyone on the staff. if you made a mistake that completely ruined the rep of the president and vice president, as well as the board members, don't you think you'd be fired for that? at the very least?

Ummm...but many now say you didn't trust Joel in the first place, so what damage was done? And quite frankly the reputation of the staff here isn't ruined for me, so their reputations are not completely ruined. The site is reasonably well run and fun. That's what I want. I don't EVER believe all I read about anything, so the reputation of the staff has never been a concern.

Is Joel often a prick -- well duh! I knew that when I signed up, I knew that when I paid for premium membership, I knew that when I made a donation for the new server, and anyone else who reads even a few sections of this site knows he is too. Yep Joel is often a prick, but I have yet to find a U2 site that is as much fun. You aren't going to change him, so you have to decide if you can live with that, or leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom