Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 01:08 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

But then it's a spinoff thread. And the forum rules say no spinoffs are allowed for closed threads.

Good point However it would probably be a nightmare trying to moderate this - how exactly do you define a spinoff chat thread since the topic of conversation may be different each time?

I personally have no objections to chat threads or games threads, probably because I post in them! I think that is what Lemonade Stand is for as it is an off topic forum. I suppose it is about achieving a balance between chat thread, games type threads and forum users considering this before they start a new thread

Old 11-12-2005, 01:42 PM   #47
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:57 PM
I think for the majority that most of the game threads are limited, not too many in each forum but Zoo Station is just out of control. If anything I may limit the game threads in that forum to just a few. Do we really need 3 different movie name games???

Anna are you suggestion to get rid of them alltogether (by saying no spin offs after 500?) Wouldnt they just start a new thread (different title, etc) to get around this?

Old 11-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:57 PM
even with definitions and clear-cut rules, you're not going to get around this and stop these things from existing completely. some newbie will always come along and start a "now playing" thread in b&c. banishing randoooom to AIM didn't get rid of it, it just changed the demographics of the post count list. and as long as deathbear is here...

i still think that the definition of io is "one big chat forum." no one has any plans to delete that. if there wasn't some insane sacredness attatched to that place, i'd suggest you throw all the games and chat threads over there.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:57 AM
If the logistics of setting up a games forum is a nightmare - then perhaps the solution is just to limit the number of games threads a little in each forum? Then that way people who post in the games threads can post but other types of threads don't get bumped off the 1st page so quickly. Could this be done?

The same with chat threads - there are about 4 regular threads in Lemonade stand but they seem to coexist ok with the other threads in there. Or maybe I am in the minority opinion about this? Are four too many?
Old 11-12-2005, 04:28 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored

i still think that the definition of io is "one big chat forum." no one has any plans to delete that. if there wasn't some insane sacredness attatched to that place, i'd suggest you throw all the games and chat threads over there.
I do too.

I think the stated definition of "anything and everything pretty much goes here" would certainly include chat and game threads.

Honestly, I don't care what happens to chat, game or any other type of thread as I just don't read the threads I don't like. However, I really can't see adding a totally new forum when people can easily go into the chatroom or start up any new chat/game threads in IO (the threads in which currently look suspiciously like chat threads anyway ).
Old 11-12-2005, 04:41 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:57 PM
4 seems like a lot to me, but of course i don't participate in them so.. yeah.

let's see:

describe
interview
randoooom
octagon
testje

then there's the always exciting 'weather' thread,
and the 'what are you doing right now?' thread.

ok, i don't know if the last 2 are chat. i don't know what they are, really, other than repetitive, chain-type threads.

i just know it's too much. i guess, if they're going to stay where they are, letting them have a finite life-span of 500 posts is a good compromise, but like tilli said, what's to stop people from making an insane number of different chat threads at the same time and just clogging up the forum with those? i still think a new sub-forum/forum, while it may be difficult to set up, is the best idea.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #52
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
I think for the majority that most of the game threads are limited, not too many in each forum but Zoo Station is just out of control. If anything I may limit the game threads in that forum to just a few. Do we really need 3 different movie name games???

Anna are you suggestion to get rid of them alltogether (by saying no spin offs after 500?) Wouldnt they just start a new thread (different title, etc) to get around this?
That's pretty much it, it isn't a foolproof idea, but you guys know what's going on and who would be blatantly breaching the rules by trying to bend them. I do hope people aren't misunderstanding that it's not a bid to kill chat in threads, as many threads become joking and to-ing and fro-ing between whoever anyway, or conversational. That's what makes a good message board. But having dedicated threads which are only going to fill up and be closed for a handful of people is something which can be limited, no? Those who post in them aren't being told to shut up and stop chatting on here in general, but to maybe put the anchors on these dedicated threads. I've noticed that we all tend to migrate to threads where those we know are posting anyway, so no one would find they have nowhere to chat to their friends in threads, I dont believe.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:50 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lmjhitman
and the 'what are you doing right now?' thread.
No one ever says that they're typing in a response at Interference in that thread. After all, that's what everyone is really doing "right now" at the time.

Anyway, I've registered my opinion in the past. I hate how all these "game threads" clog up this forum, so add my support for a separate game forum so I never have to see these utterly stupid threads and their ad infinitum spin offs ever again.

Melon
Old 11-12-2005, 04:55 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Anyway, I've registered my opinion in the past. I hate how all these "game threads" clog up this forum, so add my support for a separate game forum so I never have to see these utterly stupid threads and their ad infinitum spin offs ever again.

Melon

Haha! They really cause you that much pain? You really are a sensitive soul, aren't you?
Old 11-12-2005, 04:59 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
Haha! Thay really cause you that much pain? You really are a sensitive soul, aren't you?
Gotta love the unwarranted personal attacks. Spare me the melodrama. This is a forum for opinions and comments, ouais? This is my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Melon
Old 11-12-2005, 05:22 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Gotta love the unwarranted personal attacks. Spare me the melodrama. This is a forum for opinions and comments, ouais? This is my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Melon

I just thought your response was very funny and highly melodramic. So I commented on it. A sense of humour is a good thing.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:29 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I just thought your response was very funny and highly melodramic. So I commented on it. A sense of humour is a good thing.
You're a good person, so I won't let this disagreement we have about game threads get in the way of good FYM dynamics.

Melon
Old 11-18-2005, 02:57 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Game threads

Stupid threads in LS
Old 11-19-2005, 05:06 AM   #59
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by yimou
Game threads

Stupid threads in LS

i thought stupid threads were in the definition of what LS is as a forum?
Old 12-26-2005, 06:02 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:57 AM
just thought i'd pop in to demand a games forum since not having one only pains those of us who are fed up with the games/brag about your music collection threads, whereas having one 'pains' no-body!

plus this thread annoys me for the number of replies quoting the post above!! WHY?!

edit - and i've just wasted my 1000th post.