A Games Forum In Lemonade Stand and EYKIW? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 08:11 AM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:56 PM
I agree with Sicy and Anna. Of course, my personal solution would be to just pass a rule banning those threads but that's never gonna come to pass.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:27 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 08:56 AM
Well I say do a test to see if a game forum will actually work.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:05 PM   #33
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:56 AM
Sure we'll just do a 'test' and create a forum, spend probably a day moving a million threads in there and then sit back and watch everyone complain. Then spend another day moving everything back and cleaning up the mess. I'll pass lol.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:56 AM
Just move every single game thread here:

Games! LollllzzzzzzzzZz112!!@12

Please?

C'mon Sicy. Just do it.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:55 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:56 AM
Perhaps someone here should volunteer to be the mod of this new forum and search the board looking for game threads in other forums to move.

Not having to load up the current mods with additional work might make the suggestion more palatable.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:11 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Sure we'll just do a 'test' and create a forum, spend probably a day moving a million threads in there and then sit back and watch everyone complain. Then spend another day moving everything back and cleaning up the mess. I'll pass lol.
I'll move them.........But i'm serious.
If its possible to allow me to move threads just for a little while...create the sub forum(s) and i'll put the threads in...I've got nothing else better to do.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:23 AM   #37
Jesus Online

It's a little more complicated than that, given the access a mod has on here. I'm sure most folk are trustworthy, but assigning someone that permission mask is not a lightly made decision due to a long list of things, which doesn't help explain much, does it, lol.

Is a doable idea to keep the 500 reply limit, but once that is reached, ask that a spinoff or Mark II not be created? That will allow the inevitable creation of conversational threads and also games, but it will mean a limit to how many we have. Now obviously participants in such wont like that, but that is fair to all conversation threads. The end of the testje threads as well as randoom, for example. Neither are more important than the other. Games threads are the same. Do we really need a constant update on what everyone is listening to? That thread for example, is no more important than the celebrity name game thread. Lets give them a lifespan of 500 posts in total. It allows them all to live, but in moderation.

I eat chocolate cake and await the hurling of insults my way.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:39 AM   #38
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i certainly think that wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea. like you said, people won't like it, but it's another possible solution. assuming this were to happen, the only question i'd have is what is a chat/game thread?

and of course there's the idea of keeping them but in separate forum. it could just be a forum rather than a subforum, so that would eliminate the "would it be a subforum of ls or eykiw?" debate.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:56 AM   #39
Jesus Online

I suppose the definition would need some refining, but loosely speaking:
Games thread - Thread which requires ongoing theme in all answers, be it from ongoing questions or thematic answers in some form. Common sense.

Chat/conversational thread - Testje, randoom, any Alan Jamison thread, etc. Joking on the Alan jamison...but you get my point, lol. The thread which become just conversation and not on any one topic and involve a core group of members. And that is any group of members. I dont know who participates in which of them nowadays, as when testje originally became one, we attempted to move it off interf once it pissed people off. That was never anyone's intention - and I dont believe is the intention of anyone involved in the others, either. Jokes can be had anywhere, so it was no biggie trying to choke that one (testje). Somehow that thread survives, and I mean no disrespect to anyone who still posts in it. I made one reply in one of the new ones and that's it.

But anyway, this option does allow them to still exist (albeit with a finite lifespan) rather than outright banning them, but might appease those who are sick of the sheer volume? Can it be seen as a compromise from all sides if we allow them, but limit them? So they will die eventually. Others will be born in time, however. Life cycles of the cyber leper, etc.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:07 AM   #40
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i like your definition of chat/conversational threads

i certainly like your option and i think out of the two possibilities (yours or creating a new forum for the threads), this is certainly the easiest one.

no matter what we end up doing, i think something needs to be done about them.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 02:56 PM
anna
Old 11-12-2005, 11:19 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:56 PM
I post in some of the threads that we are talking about but I think Angela Harlems suggestion - about letting threads die out -is a good one. I think it would be a good compromise - particularly with the games threads however I am not sure that this would work with the chat threads. Surely the groups of people who participate in these chat threads would then just create another thread, with a different name and the same objections would still exist??
Old 11-12-2005, 11:54 AM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:56 AM
Well for those who want to chat there is a chatroom attached to this board (and I just popped in there myself so it is working). Now I have read people stating this wouldn't work as people are in different areas of the world, but the vast majority of posts in chat threads could just as easily happen in a chatroom, since very few people post in them now when there is no one online at the same time to answer.

Actually the same applies to many of the game threads. I think they would actually be more fun in chat myself as they would move more quickly.

Of course, if the chatroom went down that would blow the whole thing....
Old 11-12-2005, 12:18 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
or people in chat threads could do what we did with testje and move it off this forum
Old 11-12-2005, 12:21 PM   #45
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Tilli
I post in some of the threads that we are talking about but I think Angela Harlems suggestion - about letting threads die out -is a good one. I think it would be a good compromise - particularly with the games threads however I am not sure that this would work with the chat threads. Surely the groups of people who participate in these chat threads would then just create another thread, with a different name and the same objections would still exist??
But then it's a spinoff thread. And the forum rules say no spinoffs are allowed for closed threads.