A Games Forum In Lemonade Stand and EYKIW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure we'll just do a 'test' and create a forum, spend probably a day moving a million threads in there and then sit back and watch everyone complain. Then spend another day moving everything back and cleaning up the mess. I'll pass lol. :|

Perhaps someone here should volunteer to be the mod of this new forum and search the board looking for game threads in other forums to move.

Not having to load up the current mods with additional work might make the suggestion more palatable. :shrug:

Sicy said:
Sure we'll just do a 'test' and create a forum, spend probably a day moving a million threads in there and then sit back and watch everyone complain. Then spend another day moving everything back and cleaning up the mess. I'll pass lol. :|

I'll move them...:)......But i'm serious.
If its possible to allow me to move threads just for a little while...create the sub forum(s) and i'll put the threads in...I've got nothing else better to do.

It's a little more complicated than that, given the access a mod has on here. I'm sure most folk are trustworthy, but assigning someone that permission mask is not a lightly made decision due to a long list of things, which doesn't help explain much, does it, lol.
:slant:

Is a doable idea to keep the 500 reply limit, but once that is reached, ask that a spinoff or Mark II not be created? That will allow the inevitable creation of conversational threads and also games, but it will mean a limit to how many we have. Now obviously participants in such wont like that, but that is fair to all conversation threads. The end of the testje threads as well as randoom, for example. Neither are more important than the other. Games threads are the same. Do we really need a constant update on what everyone is listening to? That thread for example, is no more important than the celebrity name game thread. Lets give them a lifespan of 500 posts in total. It allows them all to live, but in moderation.

I eat chocolate cake and await the hurling of insults my way.
:wink:

i certainly think that wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea. like you said, people won't like it, but it's another possible solution. assuming this were to happen, the only question i'd have is what is a chat/game thread?

and of course there's the idea of keeping them but in separate forum. it could just be a forum rather than a subforum, so that would eliminate the "would it be a subforum of ls or eykiw?" debate.

I suppose the definition would need some refining, but loosely speaking:
Games thread - Thread which requires ongoing theme in all answers, be it from ongoing questions or thematic answers in some form. Common sense.

Chat/conversational thread - Testje, randoom, any Alan Jamison thread, etc. Joking on the Alan jamison...but you get my point, lol. The thread which become just conversation and not on any one topic and involve a core group of members. And that is any group of members. I dont know who participates in which of them nowadays, as when testje originally became one, we attempted to move it off interf once it pissed people off. That was never anyone's intention - and I dont believe is the intention of anyone involved in the others, either. Jokes can be had anywhere, so it was no biggie trying to choke that one (testje). Somehow that thread survives, and I mean no disrespect to anyone who still posts in it. I made one reply in one of the new ones and that's it.

But anyway, this option does allow them to still exist (albeit with a finite lifespan) rather than outright banning them, but might appease those who are sick of the sheer volume? Can it be seen as a compromise from all sides if we allow them, but limit them? So they will die eventually. Others will be born in time, however. Life cycles of the cyber leper, etc.

i like your definition of chat/conversational threads :up:

i certainly like your option and i think out of the two possibilities (yours or creating a new forum for the threads), this is certainly the easiest one.

no matter what we end up doing, i think something needs to be done about them.

I post in some of the threads that we are talking about but I think Angela Harlems suggestion - about letting threads die out -is a good one. I think it would be a good compromise - particularly with the games threads however I am not sure that this would work with the chat threads. Surely the groups of people who participate in these chat threads would then just create another thread, with a different name and the same objections would still exist??

Well for those who want to chat there is a chatroom attached to this board (and I just popped in there myself so it is working). Now I have read people stating this wouldn't work as people are in different areas of the world, but the vast majority of posts in chat threads could just as easily happen in a chatroom, since very few people post in them now when there is no one online at the same time to answer.

Actually the same applies to many of the game threads. I think they would actually be more fun in chat myself as they would move more quickly.

Of course, if the chatroom went down that would blow the whole thing.... :(

Tilli said:
I post in some of the threads that we are talking about but I think Angela Harlems suggestion - about letting threads die out -is a good one. I think it would be a good compromise - particularly with the games threads however I am not sure that this would work with the chat threads. Surely the groups of people who participate in these chat threads would then just create another thread, with a different name and the same objections would still exist??

But then it's a spinoff thread. And the forum rules say no spinoffs are allowed for closed threads. :wink:

Popmartijn said:

But then it's a spinoff thread. And the forum rules say no spinoffs are allowed for closed threads. :wink:

Good point :hmm: However it would probably be a nightmare trying to moderate this - how exactly do you define a spinoff chat thread since the topic of conversation may be different each time?:huh: :wink:

I personally have no objections to chat threads or games threads, probably because I post in them! I think that is what Lemonade Stand is for as it is an off topic forum. I suppose it is about achieving a balance between chat thread, games type threads and forum users considering this before they start a new thread:shrug:

Last edited:
I think for the majority that most of the game threads are limited, not too many in each forum but Zoo Station is just out of control. If anything I may limit the game threads in that forum to just a few. Do we really need 3 different movie name games???

Anna are you suggestion to get rid of them alltogether (by saying no spin offs after 500?) Wouldnt they just start a new thread (different title, etc) to get around this?

even with definitions and clear-cut rules, you're not going to get around this and stop these things from existing completely. some newbie will always come along and start a "now playing" thread in b&c. banishing randoooom to AIM didn't get rid of it, it just changed the demographics of the post count list. and as long as deathbear is here...

i still think that the definition of io is "one big chat forum." no one has any plans to delete that. if there wasn't some insane sacredness attatched to that place, i'd suggest you throw all the games and chat threads over there.

If the logistics of setting up a games forum is a nightmare - then perhaps the solution is just to limit the number of games threads a little in each forum? Then that way people who post in the games threads can post but other types of threads don't get bumped off the 1st page so quickly. Could this be done?

The same with chat threads - there are about 4 regular threads in Lemonade stand but they seem to coexist ok with the other threads in there. Or maybe I am in the minority opinion about this? Are four too many?

IWasBored said:

i still think that the definition of io is "one big chat forum." no one has any plans to delete that. if there wasn't some insane sacredness attatched to that place, i'd suggest you throw all the games and chat threads over there.

I do too.

I think the stated definition of "anything and everything pretty much goes here" would certainly include chat and game threads. :shrug:

Honestly, I don't care what happens to chat, game or any other type of thread as I just don't read the threads I don't like. However, I really can't see adding a totally new forum when people can easily go into the chatroom or start up any new chat/game threads in IO (the threads in which currently look suspiciously like chat threads anyway :hmm: ).

4 seems like a lot to me, but of course i don't participate in them so.. yeah.

let's see:

describe
interview
randoooom
octagon
testje

then there's the always exciting 'weather' thread,
and the 'what are you doing right now?' thread.

ok, i don't know if the last 2 are chat. i don't know what they are, really, other than repetitive, chain-type threads.

i just know it's too much. i guess, if they're going to stay where they are, letting them have a finite life-span of 500 posts is a good compromise, but like tilli said, what's to stop people from making an insane number of different chat threads at the same time and just clogging up the forum with those? i still think a new sub-forum/forum, while it may be difficult to set up, is the best idea.

Sicy said:
I think for the majority that most of the game threads are limited, not too many in each forum but Zoo Station is just out of control. If anything I may limit the game threads in that forum to just a few. Do we really need 3 different movie name games???

Anna are you suggestion to get rid of them alltogether (by saying no spin offs after 500?) Wouldnt they just start a new thread (different title, etc) to get around this?

That's pretty much it, it isn't a foolproof idea, but you guys know what's going on and who would be blatantly breaching the rules by trying to bend them. I do hope people aren't misunderstanding that it's not a bid to kill chat in threads, as many threads become joking and to-ing and fro-ing between whoever anyway, or conversational. That's what makes a good message board. But having dedicated threads which are only going to fill up and be closed for a handful of people is something which can be limited, no? Those who post in them aren't being told to shut up and stop chatting on here in general, but to maybe put the anchors on these dedicated threads. I've noticed that we all tend to migrate to threads where those we know are posting anyway, so no one would find they have nowhere to chat to their friends in threads, I dont believe.

lmjhitman said:
and the 'what are you doing right now?' thread.

No one ever says that they're typing in a response at Interference in that thread. After all, that's what everyone is really doing "right now" at the time. :|

Anyway, I've registered my opinion in the past. I hate how all these "game threads" clog up this forum, so add my support for a separate game forum so I never have to see these utterly stupid threads and their ad infinitum spin offs ever again.

Melon

melon said:

Anyway, I've registered my opinion in the past. I hate how all these "game threads" clog up this forum, so add my support for a separate game forum so I never have to see these utterly stupid threads and their ad infinitum spin offs ever again.

Melon

Haha! They really cause you that much pain? You really are a sensitive soul, aren't you?

Last edited:
indra said:
Haha! Thay really cause you that much pain? You really are a sensitive soul, aren't you?

Gotta love the unwarranted personal attacks. Spare me the melodrama. This is a forum for opinions and comments, ouais? This is my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Melon

melon said:

Gotta love the unwarranted personal attacks. Spare me the melodrama. This is a forum for opinions and comments, ouais? This is my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Melon

I just thought your response was very funny and highly melodramic. So I commented on it. A sense of humour is a good thing. :wink:

indra said:
I just thought your response was very funny and highly melodramic. So I commented on it. A sense of humour is a good thing. :wink:

You're a good person, so I won't let this disagreement we have about game threads get in the way of good FYM dynamics. :sexywink:

Melon

just thought i'd pop in to demand a games forum since not having one only pains those of us who are fed up with the games/brag about your music collection threads, whereas having one 'pains' no-body!

plus this thread annoys me for the number of replies quoting the post above!! WHY?! :huh:

edit - and i've just wasted my 1000th post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom