Prayers/Good Vibes for Dazz's Sister (please)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
SO my sis call me 2 weeks ago and asks if if I could meet her at such & such time on such & such day could I?

I said yes...thinking g it was going to be a nice surprise (for particular reasons).

THEN she tells me the night BEFORE she's got something she's has to to tell me; we're going to a restaurant, and her Nurse Friend will be along to explain things to me.

The LAST TIME that happened it was May 09 for our mutual (hers' first) longtime friend who had a pretty bad cancer (and who died 5 months a later).

SO I was left with.... "is it her( sis) or our dad" for the next ?18 hrs.:huh:

So while it's bad news -relatively speaking it'snot BAAAAAAD news.

She has thyroid cancer.

WHich has an almost 100% rate of cure/recovery.....:relief:
(still, it's cancer :yikes:.. which was much more of a death sentence when I/we was growing up).

They found out by accident when she had chest pains over the summer ( which I THOT were severe stress from helping to be with our friend and her friend's partner ...

She was OK Cardio-vascular-wise BUT-
... the chest X-Ray showing a shadow up at the very top middle ( neck/thyroid area)

SO they watched it for a few months and then had a sonogram which showed it got bigger; plus what ever else they did to confirm it was cancer.

ANYWAY she's gong to have the operation to remover her thyroid (and get s dose of radioactive Iodine ? 2 -3 weeks later) ... and be out of work ? a few weeks.......

.....THIS approaching Monday 1-25-10.
She'll be in over night, and go stay at her friends' (the nurse) apt for 2 days, then s it home for her.
I'll be visiting and doing grocery shopping for her. And if she feels better with someone in the house during the day etc as she recovers I'll go over there for that as well ( like she just sleeps most of the first 2 days home etc.)

It's a very good hospital and while she doesn't like her Endocrinologist she loves her surgeon (who haas done about 2,000 of these operations)!
Both of us HAD TO get out of our minds' that this was NOT our friend's situation. I worry more like that... but SHE saw her friend to practically the very end ( and it was quite visually upsetting).

The biggest thing as a side effect she's worried about is permanent or long-term hoarseness --- she does a lot of talking as part of her job!

SO prayers/ good vibes/pagan dances are alllllll welcomed her way!

***THANKS*** in advance.:wave::heart:

:hug: I think a big hug and some love is the most appropriate at times like these!

:hyper::up:

ok-- the surgery went as well as they hoped it would!
she's been taken to recovery for around the next 2 hrs.

The cancer was small,and very contained so they're sure (as they can be) that it hasn't spread!

The Final Pathology Report will be in a week.

:heart: thank you, everyone!

UPDATE
this answer posted to another thread

I think she's doing quite good all things considered.....

She called me last night after she got - i guess out of post op and while she was exhausted ( duh) she did NOT sound .... she sounded about medium plus horse but not unintelligible

Today when she called the second time (VM the first time)
she really sounded ONLY mildly/ not quite even moderately hoarse.

AMAZING!!!
Besides the most obvious big fear is that some how
the cancer had spread - although withOUT symptoms at this point {which didn't happen :bow:}
--

the next biggest fear was either long term side effect,
OR permanent damage to her speaking voice - since she talks for a living !

SO for her to[sound THIS good ONLY like? 21- 23 hrs later after surgery...
OMG! :ohmy: :bow: How wondrous!

She had some pre & post surgery homeopathic healing remedies PLUS,
at least 2 plus healers working on her and everyone else praying and good vibing her
( including :heart: :hug:S The PLBEAN Sector :D) .[/QUOTE]

thank you flowers & Purple!:hug:S

actually, purple, i'm not that worried about the pathology report.......

and I'm SUCH a worrywart.... I think at least with partly educated by self in these areas........
since she didn't show symptoms, it was caught by accident, watched to see whether it would grow, and i think grew rather slowly I have strong hopes/thots that it will be a an "easy" (note the quote marks) cancer to beat!

and POWERS FORBID if it IS more troublesome it will BE one of the few times in my life that I have NOT wound myself up into a mess by worrying before it might happen.
SO at least I'll have had some mostly fun days before any really bad news that might happen happens!

Update Thurs 1-28

My sis felt well enough (called me) to take herself home by cab- so I went over to her house in mid afternoon, let myself in since she went to take a nap.

She told me that most of the she time has to "make herself nap, she feels so well. She wants to "go out"! But she does know that she has to take these naps so somehow it doesn't possibly bring her harm down the line.

We hung out a while, and then we took off to go food shopping - me being the designated "packhorse".:lol: Glad TO be able to help her. After we unload the groceries in the fridge we hung out for another few hours.

For the first several hours you'd never would have known (she did have a turtle-neck on, but it was Winter after all) that she had even had the surgery! She didn't sound hoarse at all!

It wasn't till we'd been together for abut 3- 4 hours or so that she even started to sound some what hoarse! Being with me was the most she'd talked in the 4 days.

it's quite amazing and stunningly great!

One of the coolest/nicest things was - she showed me her new laptop (and she gave me her old one), and we looked at several batches of her travel photos, and also some events and occasions we went to together.

The one technical problem was somehow a major portion of her photos were "shuffled".....:huh:
We used IPhoto's multi-pics scroll down/up option, where I pointed to the ones I wanted to see full size. Then a while later, we looked at one set of earlier travel photos that were a separate Event" (IPHOTO), AND IN ORDER so she set those up in Slideshow mode...and it was just :happy::heart::happy: wonderful!!!
{ This set was Paris at Christmas time.....
... so how could it NOT BE *Lovely* ! }

I was just so relieved/happy to see her, and that she was so well after all this.

Dazz, good to hear your sister is doing well. I hope everything will continue to be ok for her and your family :up:

I had surgery on my thyroid and it was totally removed about 1,5 years ago. I had some pretty ugly nodes and one of them was so big it had gotten hard for me to breathe. Since the surgery I've had to take high doses of thyroid hormones as a substitution therapy for the lost organ. I've met some people in hospital and later at the endocrinologist who had cancerous tumors on their thyroid and all of them were ok. It's usually not a very "bad" form of cancer and can be operated successfully without any severe consequences. Most of them have had some radiation therapy (with radioactive iodine) and had to take hormones in order to be able to live without their thyroid (just like I do). So the chances are very good that your sister will be cured completely.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the voice. Horseness can be a temporary problem after the surgery because the vocal cords are traumatized a bit, but usually it goes away pretty soon. I've also had to have tests after my surgery to make sure my voice recovers but I've never had any real problems, and I also have to talk for a living. The only thing is, your throat gets a little more sensitive and you get colds there more easily, whenever I get a slight cold, there's always a naughty scratching in my throat, I didn't have that before the surgery.

thanks for the info LU!

:( sorry you had to go through that yourself...
... and wooooah having the node get so big it bothered your breathing!!! :yikes::hug::hug:

yeah my sis started hormone replacement already

i think because she had no symptoms since they bound it accidently and watched carefully for a few months since they weren't saw there was anything there in the first place-- it grow slowly -- that I'm quite hopeful that it is NOT any aggressive form, and she'll be OK (as long as she takes the proper meds ).

Her voice ALREADY is doing incredibly well (only got mild to moderately hoarse w me after 3 hours... (on thurs)

today she's probably even better :hyper:

Further Update:

Things are going very well !!

The week before last she got the full report back.

No cancer in the 7 nodes they removed!
She is declared cancer free !
:yippie::loveshower::yippie:

one last issue IS-
they felt the tumor while well encapsulated was a bigger than they thought it would be; so her/surgeon is discussing with her team are whether she should have the Radioactive Iodine drink treatment.

AS of this past friday she still hasn't heard back from them.

Thank you all for your Prayers, Good Wishers/Vibes!

:heart::hug::heart:

Back
Top Bottom