PLEBANS Info Thread, please post!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Haha, yeah I have it too, thought it's not very factual at all. The chronology is ok, but they've exaggerated or completely misinterpreted certain events in her life....anyway, not that you guys care, but she has a new book just out this December, I need to buy it.

Yeah we didn't think it could all be accurate. Our favorite routine/moments in the movie had been edited out from the version she bought, too, which was a bummer. The book sounds interesting though!

As far as the Holocaust, I watched the Pianist this weekend. :sad: just a random note.... the movie was incredibly moving.

Name: Ellen
Nationality: Caucasian, 50% Dutch from my mom's side, then my dad's side is uh...let's see...mostly Danish, and some English, Welsh, Scottish, German, probably other Scandinavian ancestry in there too.
Language: English, 4 years of German (of which I don't remember enough)
School: Calvin College, full time student 2nd year, Political Science and Sociology majors (yes, I'm crazy)
Job: Uh, I'm workin' on that. I used to work for Campus Safety but I quit because it was not only a giant waste of my time, but the whole "work till 6am and then go to class" thing wasn't working well for that whole "GPA" thing.
Transportation: Legs. And other people's cars. :D
Relationship: Ha.
Family: Mom and Dad
Pets: 2 cats at home, 2 newts here (there used to be 3, but one mysteriously disappeared. We didn't tell the other people on our floor. Muaha.)
Hobbies: (I'll just edit Lies' here... ;)) gymnastics, U2, road trips, camping, shopping, watching Law and Order, sleeping in, watching movies, music, Meijers
Random Experience: We were at a restaurant in...I believe Stockholm, and the waitress came up to us and started talking to us in Swedish. Evidently my family looks Swedish. :shrug:
Random Good Quote: "What we do in life echoes in eternity." -Gladiator
Favorite People: My parents

And I need to find a more recent picture of me than what I have on my computer.

oliveu2cm said:
Yeah we didn't think it could all be accurate. Our favorite routine/moments in the movie had been edited out from the version she bought, too, which was a bummer. The book sounds interesting though!

Really? Which scene is that? I'll have to check my version. I have a copy made from the original VHS, not one taped from TV (I'm friends with the www.nadiacomaneci.com webmaster and he sends me Nadia related media).

Northeast said:
Yes they were from the state of Iowa, which they said is alittle above tornado alley,

:shrug:. I've always been taught Iowa was part of Tornado Alley-most people consider it as part of it. Even if it isn't, though...as you saw, they aren't exempt from tornadoes.

Originally posted by Northeast
and the locals said they have never really seen one near them. I don't know how big it was actually, probably an F2-3....we were kind of lucky because it was still in its stages of forming when it hit us. But becasue the land is so flat we could see it pound the town next door.

Yeesh. That's freaky. Glad you managed to make it through okay.

Originally posted by Northeast
THe largest on I have been in was in Florida an f-5...it was a mile wide and that one formed off the lakes behind my grandparents house, wen't over us and killed lots of people in the next town...Winter Haven. That was probably the scariest experience I have ever had. Even though it didnt' touch down it blew the windows out of the house and sucked the air right out of your lungs.

:ohmy: :shocked:...yeah, I don't blame you, that'd scare the bejesus out of me, too.

Closest I'd come to experiencing a tornado, now that I think about this, was when my family was in our living room in our first town we lived in one night, and all of a sudden our living room window blew out after the wind picked up during a storm. The next day, we found that there was a bunch of damage in our neighborhood-worst that happened to us was our window blowing out and a tree being split in half and another one being bent some. Our neighbor's tree had been pulled out of the ground, roots and all. Some say straight-line winds were to blame for that, but my dad wonders if it wasn't a small tornado that hit our neighborhood. Still, though, I've never seen one up close. I've only seen tornadoes on T.V. and in books, and that's all the closer I want to get.

F5 tornados never cease to amaze and terrify me. I can't look at the footage of the 1999 Oklahoma City tornado without shuddering. That thing was monsterous...I just can't imagine how frightening it'd be to see something that big coming toward you and know that you can't do squat to stop it. I feel so horrible for those people, especially after hearing that same area got hit with a huge tornado again last May. :(.

Angela

Last edited:

Really? Which scene is that? I'll have to check my version. I have a copy made from the original VHS, not one taped from TV (I'm friends with the www.nadiacomaneci.com webmaster and he sends me Nadia related media).

Oooh I bet that has it. (Our original broke probably 10 years ago :lol: ) It's the scene when they are still young, and Nadia meets her friend (whose name is escaping me). The other really good young gymnast? And they do a routine wherein they are kneeling, facing each other, and mirror each other's movements. It's not a routine in front of people, just something they do as friends. :)

A pic of me? :uhoh: I'd rather post my cats! :hyper: I really don't have any scanned or in digital form, but I'll try to get one I won't be embarrassed to put online :reject:

oliveu2cm said:

Oooh I bet that has it. (Our original broke probably 10 years ago :lol: ) It's the scene when they are still young, and Nadia meets her friend (whose name is escaping me). The other really good young gymnast? And they do a routine wherein they are kneeling, facing each other, and mirror each other's movements. It's not a routine in front of people, just something they do as friends. :)

haha yes! and at the end they hug and decide to be best friends.

Teodora Ungureanu is her name. She was great back in her time as well.

76behindscenes01.jpg

76behindscenes06.jpg

nc_japanbk_01.jpg

I sent this picture and a few others to Nadia and she signed them for me
posebeam.jpg

Name: Carmella
Nationality: Caucasian. French, Irish, German.
Language: English
School: A long long time ago.
Job: This June will be 22 years in banking. (boring ? but it pays for my U2 adventures)
Transportation: 2003 Saturn Vue, which is the first car that I have really loved, maybe because it is the first time I?ve ever purchased a brand spanking new car.
Relationship: Single mom, who may have to get in on this Interference dating scene ;).
Family: my son, mother and lots of aunts and cousins. Oh and I consider my best friend of 21 years, Paige, to be my sister. :yes:
Pets: 1 golden retriever and 2 ducks.
Hobbies: U2, Ebay buying and selling, antiquing, travel ? but I don?t get to do that much. Dreaming about owing a little shop on the corner.
Best U2 Experiences: At my third U2 concert in 1989 I gave Bono a rose and a note, he read the note, put the rose in his mouth then bowed to me and then gave the rose back to me. Twelve years later at my 12th concert, I finally got to hold his hands and say ?Thank You?.
Favorite Lyric: I believe in the kingdom come when all the colors will bleed into one.
Favorite People: My family and friends, Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry!

This pic is a little over a year old. As I get older I seem to prefer my eyeglasses over contact lenses.

33773%3A5923232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B94%3D65%3A%3Dxroqdf%3E232339%3B665%3A%3A2ot1lsi

Moonlit_Angel said:
And Schmeg, you're cute! I like your picture, too. *Sings along*
Aww, thanks! :D

ARW, I didn't know you owned a BSB CD! You don't have to bring that next week. :wink:

I love this thread! It's nice finding out about everyone and putting a real face to the avatars!

Name: Karen
Age: Age not a number but a state of mind. I've just past 30 but sometimes feel like I'm 15!
Nationality: American-Ancestory 3/4 Irish 1/4 German
School: Degree in Fashion Merchandising. I regret not doing something more worthwhile with my education.
Job: Supervisory Lead for Gap
Transportation: 2003 Chevy Tracker-Red...I took my other car in to be serviced saw this liked and drove away with a new car purchased on impulse that same day.
Relationship: Single
Family: Mom, Dad Older brother by about 20 yrs.
Hobbies: Music-U2, movies, books, embroidery that I havent done much of lately and yoga.
Random Experience: My mom discovering the greatness of U2 was totally random. We had been cleaning up after a visit from my brother that was horrible and I turned on the TV to watch part of the Boston show. My mom said she didnt care she was going to go do something else. She then asked a few questions about if that was what the show was like I saw etc. She proceeded to watch the whole thing without getting up...you have to practically chain her to the chair to watch a whole movie...at the end she says she really enjoyed it...said Edge was really good and declared "I just love Bono!" From that point she sees herself as a fan and its rather cute if you knew my mom.
Random Good Quote: My journal is filled with them. Here is one...You can never plan the future by the past. ---Anonymous
Favorite People: My family and friends...the people that are close to my heart. I have met a few here that I would for sure put in that category which I would never have imagined I would be saying a year ago! As for those I dont know U2 would have to be favorites since their music has been a part of my life for almost as long as I can remember.
Most embarrassing moment: The HEY! incident singing in the school choir at the Christmas Concert that included all the schools in the area. I am reminded of this every Christmas by my mom and my best friend. Basically we were doing a medly of songs that had Jingle Bells thoroughout it and there were parts where you Hey'd and parts where you didn't...I Hey'd where you didnt really loud and of course I was right in front.

Here is what I have dubbed my Gap Ad picture taken in Oct outside of Graceland...

3396672%3B23232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2327%3D6%3A8%3D9%3A5%3DXROQDF%3E2323458%3C2%3B442ot1lsi

Name: Laurie
Nationality: Canadian of Irish, Scottish & English decent.
Language: English, French. Moderate German, Italian. Little Latin, and Spanish.
School: grad student
Job: teacher
Transportation: If its too far to walk I usually travel in large stretch vehicles with a driver to take me where I need to go. (lol, on my budget its a public transit bus not a limo, :wink:
Relationship: engaged to newbie Interference member TheGenericPoet
Family: 2 sons 19 & 8, & my older son's gf is like a daugher to me.
Pets: kitties Mac & Fille. bunny Angel. and a dog who went to Heaven, Champ. still miss him.
Hobbies: reading, creative writing, cooking, music, Pilates, sports, art.
Random Experience: all my moments with my children, sisters, fiance, etc. I'll share this: When GenericPoet asked me to marry him, he did so by singing the song from my fave movie, The Wedding Singer, that Robbie wrote for Julia "I Wanna Grow Old With You" , then got down on one knee in romantic tradition. Awww, who could say no?
Random Good Quote: see my signature
Favorite People: everyone who has touched my life in a special way, which of course includes those 4 rowdy Irish lads

I'm not sure how to post my pic. I did it once somewhere in my newbie thread in the Babyface cafe but I forget how. If anyone really wants to see me, you can check there I guess. *Sits down to look through Microsoft's 'Interference for Dummies' guidebook*

What a great idea this topic is!

Name: Dahill Brett
Age: Yeah right! As if i'd ever post that! (older than most of you :)
Nationalitys: French, Irish, Italian.
Language: English, I know my "A,B,C's" in ASL (American Sign Language), pluse a few other "signs".
School: not anymore, thank GOD
Transportation: Ford Taurus
Relationship: Single (Adam? Are you reading this?);)
Family: Mom, Dad, several brothers and sisters, several nieces and newphews. Way too many to list
Hobbies: Reading, writing, hikes, swimming, anything to do with animals.
Pets: Dog
Random Experience: I've had a few, but too long to type out.
Random Quote: see below
Favorite People: My Nonna, Grandpa, Nana, younger brother. All of whom are dead now, but each made a great impact on my life. Of course U2, Noah ben Shea, friends and family (well most of them).
Favorite Book: "Ten fun things to do before you die". All Harry Potter books. Nora Roberts.
Favorite Movie: Blazing Saddles, all Mel Gibson flicks.

Ok, thats enough about me.
Later
Dahill

U2SJ said:

Yes, I think we need to tell Elvis about our request. Singles Bar at Interference! :up:

And a meet-up would be a blast. I was sad to miss the big Vegas meet-up since I was married at the time to a husband that never wanted to go anywhere but now I am ready... so next time there is an Interference meet-up I am soooo there :yes:

Hmmmm... yes, this does sound rather do-able. I wouldn't mind a "singles" area on Interference but not sure if it would work here or not...

Dood. this one guy has a freakin' WILD sweater on at the Starbucks I'm sitting in. Not sure who told him it was a good idea.... eeep!

Moonie :D

LCK said:
I'll share this: When GenericPoet asked me to marry him, he did so by singing the song from my fave movie, The Wedding Singer, that Robbie wrote for Julia "I Wanna Grow Old With You" , then got down on one knee in romantic tradition. Awww, who could say no?

:cute:...awwwwwwww, I certainly couldn't! I love that part in the movie where he sings to her on the plane. :).

That's really sweet, LCK.

Originally posted by Schmeg[/i]
Aww, thanks!

You're welcome. :).

Originally posted by Schmeg
I love this thread! It's nice finding out about everyone and putting a real face to the avatars!

Ditto.

And EPandAmerica-that's an awesome story you shared about the rose and note to Bono at the concert (heh, and that was in 1989, too, eh? *Thinks of long-haired Bono with rose in mouth, bowing...:drool:...). That's also cool that you got to thank him 12 years later. Wonderful experience! You're so lucky.

Also, you kinda look like my friend Rachel. :).

Angela

moon_is_playing_tricks said:

Dood. this one guy has a freakin' WILD sweater on at the Starbucks I'm sitting in. Not sure who told him it was a good idea.... eeep!

Moonie :D

:lmao:

:coocoo:

:p

haha yes! and at the end they hug and decide to be best friends.

I sent this picture and a few others to Nadia and she signed them for me
posebeam.jpg

:love: wow!! that's awesome!

Yes, that scene.. my sisters and I would reinact it lolll. we all wanted to be Nadia!

LCK- How cool you share your Bday with Bono:cute:

And EP I had never heard that story....that is awesome to have that experience with JT Bono!:combust:

Name: Emily
Nationality: German-American
Location: home is Pittsburgh, PA and school is in northwest OH about 30 minutes south of Toledo
School: Bowling Green State University, I'm a sophmore visual communication technology major
Job: administrative assistant in the Continuing Education department at school
Transportation: when I don't have a broken leg (like I do right now) I drive around in my parent's Saturn. at school, I take the shuttle or walk (when again I don't have a gimpy leg.)
Relationship: painfully single
Family: Mom, Dad, brother Ben (17)
Pets: I had a parakeet, he died this fall
Hobbies: my sorority, U2, sitting around, making websites and desktop wallpapers, day dreaming
Random Experience: breaking my leg at a leadership retreat this past October
Random Good Quote: "There are a lot of theories that didn't pan out. Like The Lone Gunmen, communism, geometry..." -Joey, Friends
Favorite People: Bono!, The Edge!, Adam Clayton!, Larry Mullen!, Madonna, Orlando Bloom, Johnny Depp, Viggo Mortensen, Russell Crowe.
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mocking Bird
Favorite Movie: Casablanca

I forgot a picture. I'm the one on the left, the girl on the right is my best friend, Gina.

Attachments

• emgina.jpg
    emgina.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Name: Annette
Nationality: Czechoslovakian and Irish
Language: English (I know one sentence from 9th grade Spanish - "What is the name of the person to your left?"
School: Graduated from HS in NY in '82
Job: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Texas, Assistant to President/CEO
Transportation: Either a 2000 Kia Spectra or a 1996 GMC Sierra - depends on what my husband takes!
Family: Daughter, 12 years old, Anna and Son, 10 years old, Ian - oh, also my husband of 15 years!
Pets: Baskerville, 1/2 lab, 1/2 blue healer and Kiddy - my cat
Hobbies: Interference.com, reading Stephen King or Dean Koontz, playing with my animals or children
Random Experience: I've had too many. My whole life has been filled with "random experiences".
Favorite People: Bono, my dad, both my kids

This is so fun to hear about you all!

Name: Barbara Irene
Nationality: Cuban-American
Language: English and Spanish. (Have yet to master the Spanish language despite the fact I've been speaking it fluently for about 14 years. :reject: )
School: Senior in high school.
Job: None at the moment.
Transportation: I don't drive. Usually I'll bum rides from my best friend or my parents. ;)
Relationship: Single
Family: Mom, Dad, younger sister, and two older half-brothers; one of which I have yet to meet.
Pets: Dog; rotweiller named Rocky.
Hobbies: Reading, collecting DVDs, going to the movies, writing, U2, collecting pictures, and buying useless stuff on eBay.
Random Experience: For my seventh birthday, my parents went overboard and gave me a huge extravagent birthday party; I had over 80 guests and received tons of gifts. It was a lot like a wedding reception. :laugh:
Random Good Quote: "I remember when he was about 3, only a toddler. He was out in the back garden. He went over to a flower with a bee. He put it on his finger, lifted the bee up, talked to the bee, and put it back again. He probably doesn't remember it, I don't think I ever mentioned it, but I can remember to this day the horror of my wife and myself. He could go from flower to flower picking up bees and never got stung. Amazing, isn't it?" -- Bob Hewson on Bono.
Favorite People: My grandparents, best friend, and mother. Oprah Winfrey, Bono, Ewan McGregor, and Tom Hanks.
Favorite Book: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.
Favorite Movies: Moulin Rouge, Amelie, The Breakfast Club, and Sixteen Candles.

3393746323232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2329%3D558%3D64%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2323477%3C%3B85%3A9ot1lsi

Last edited:
Ultraviolet Light said:
Hobbies: , Meijers

WOOHOO MEIJER

I miss it so :sad:

and as to the people having the tornado conversation... we get so many tornado warnings we don't even pay attention to them any more. Probably not the safest thing to do, but for some reason they never hit near my house. Down the street yes, my house, no ;)
Indiana gets a 3:2 ratio more tornados than Kansas... though theirs are worse on average.
[/tornadoness]

Last edited:
Today's Factoids: Tornadoes

Overall State Averages, 1950-1995
t95psm.gif

Overall State Averages Per 10,000 sq. mi.
avgtpsm.gif

By number, the top five states usually rank TX, OK, KS, FL, NE (I can't find the most current data, but I've never seen it differ); however the second map shows a better indication b/c obviously a state like TX will win by count because it is so large.

Weird fact: Tornadoes classified with the Fujita scale (F1-5, traditionally) are classified strictly on ground damage. So a tornado that has the other characteristics of an F5, like ground speed, rotation speed, width, etc, isn't considered an F5 unless it completely dissolves or relocates multiple buildings. Fujita ratings are only assigned after the damage caused by the tornado has been assessed.

Alas, I should've gone to meteorology school...

I've gone through two tornados. Do you remember in '97 the tornado that hit Jarrell, Texas? I lived in Cedar Park and it literally hopped over my house and destroyed the next. My husband and kids and I all went to one closet. If you want to know what it sounds like overhead, lie flat in the tub while the water is running FULL BLAST and make sure your ears are under the water. The whole experience was awesome!
PS I've also been "barbed" by a stingray!

Back
Top Bottom