My sons hamster Ozzie passed away.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCOSTER

ONE love, blood, life
:sad: My sons hamster was put to sleep today by the vet. I know he was 2 and that that was the average life span, but my son who's nine has been through so much lately with his grandfather passing away and his great grandmother. At this point, I don't know what to say to him. We even found a dead bird on our side walk the other day that we had to bury and had a funeral for. On the way home from the vet this morning with Ozzie in a little box, I passed a church with a funeral going on.

I am starting to feel like I'm the new face of death! :sad:

Awww you are not the new face of death JC :hug: Just having a run of bad luck right now :(. How is your son holding up with all of the recent deaths? Such a young age to learn about something as serious as this.

I think a death (even a pet's death) is difficult at any age! My son was 15 when we had to have our cat Ralph put down. We were both with Ralph when he made his journey, and we both cried the entire time. When we took him home to bury him, Shawn went in his room, closed the door, and didn't come out. I had to bury poor old Ralph by myself!

Three years ago, MrPurrl and I were with our cat Miss Purrl, who made the journey at the age of 20-1/2; and it was rough then, too.

So, JC, let your son talk about it if he wants to, but don't push him. My thoughts are with you both--and with Ozzie.

Thanks a bunch, my son was doing pretty ok about the family deaths, now this is a new ball game, I don't know how he's going to take it. We will have a little funeral for him though.

thank you!

He was more mad than anything else at this point. We decorated the box he was in buried him in our garden and said the rainbow bridge poem. He seems to be taking it pretty well so far.

thank you!

He was more mad than anything else at this point. We decorated the box he was in buried him in our garden and said the rainbow bridge poem. He seems to be taking it pretty well so far.

I recently started going to what I guess you'd call a "support group" for women who have lost their mother, no matter how long ago (I lost mine 7 years ago)--and it seems like anger is a very common reaction to the death of a loved one, be it a person or a pet. There's just no understanding it, so we all have to stick together. :hug:

Awwww JC & son :hug: I am nervous about having been asked to give a eulogy for a late friend at a Memorial Monday so I know share your sadness about death. As for your son and all the losses, the only thing I would talk to my kids about if I were in your shoes would be that as sad as death is, it is the circle of life.....and just like with bad luck, when one door closes.....that means another will open and with death I believe a re-birth replaces each loss. Maybe getting a new hamster will replace the loss of the one you had put down? A "re-birth" in a way. A new life to carry on from the life that ended. And of course lots of love, support, kisses and just to be there to answer all their fears and questions as they come up. Your little guys have been throu a lot the past few months, for sure! :hug:

JC, very sorry to read this. Pets are precious and it is so difficult to lose one. NO matter how old or young we are. This is an experience, too, they have had a rough time lately.
I know you are there for them and will be the support they need. :hug:

:sad: My sons hamster was put to sleep today by the vet. I know he was 2 and that that was the average life span, but my son who's nine has been through so much lately with his grandfather passing away and his great grandmother. At this point, I don't know what to say to him. We even found a dead bird on our side walk the other day that we had to bury and had a funeral for. On the way home from the vet this morning with Ozzie in a little box, I passed a church with a funeral going on.

I am starting to feel like I'm the new face of death! :sad:

I would be an emotional wreck! I cried when my Tamagotchi died...

Back
Top Bottom