hey guys! need help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynn1988

Acrobat
Someone invited me to see the boys' gig in Paris, that's great. But the things is my parents are totally against it! So I decided to disobey to go to see my boys again (am I Mac Phisto's daughter? :p).
So I need your help for finding a solution and convincing them to let me go to the show, and that they don't call the cops because i'm gone missing, or was kidnapped.
I really want to go and I will! I'm ready to do whatever I can to go and see them! They changed people lives! (including mine)
So every suggestion is welcomed!
PS: i'm 22.

I have considered theses solutions:

-Runaway and tell the cops i'll be back next day!
-Hunger strike. (maybe affective blackmail can make them change their mind)

Any suggestions?

... you're 22. You're an adult now. Your parents should have no control over you anymore and they certainly cannot keep you home.

Just tell them the day you leave, that your going , its your life ,
and you will be back the next day , your 22, its your life , its your money.
My parents tought I was nuts and they tried to stop me ,
but when I booked the tickets , they knew I as serious.
I'm 18 now , and they think thats a good age to make your first trip to another country.
So Maybe that helps to. Allot of parents let go at this age, maybe your parents delayed somewhere.

Cops don't start a search within 48 hours, plus , they will try to call you first.

Hm, where are you living? If you're not living in France I'll maybe get it ... but I'm still confused. You are 22 years old so you are an adult so they should not control you, how Galeongirl said.
Lynn1988, try to remind your parents that you are an adult and that you can take care of yourself :)

I agree with everyone. You're 22 years old, that means you are an adult and should be able to do things without their permission. Is it because you still live with them?

Then screw them and get out of there! I still live at home and am a student but I don't let my parents control my life! If you want to go. Go. They shouldn't control your life anymore, you're far to old for that. Grow up and show them you're grown up.

I assume you already tried to talk to your parents about this before even considering to run away from home. My first option if I really knew there was not chance in hell I would miss a U2 gig because someone invited me and so, would be to talk this through in an appropriate manner.

If you have good reasons for it and they're not stubborn people, they would realize how important this is for you. It's just one night or so, hardly more than that.

Take turns in presenting your arguments for and against the idea. You offer them your perspective and they'll give theirs in return. Ask them why they think you shouldn't go.
Maybe you can find a way to solve it, or at least compromise - offer something helpful in return perhaps?

I don't know, I'm sure you already have talked to them otherwise you wouldn't come on here and ask for advice. I'm just saying this is not how I would handle it, but that's me - a 21-year old student still living at home.

Good luck Lynn!
:wave:

So I need your help for finding a solution and convincing them to let me go to the show, and that they don't call the cops because i'm gone missing, or was kidnapped.

I don't think this will happen since you already discussed the subject with your parents, they're pretty much gonna know where you are. Pissed... maybe, but at least they wont call the cops and make a huge deal out of it.

Good luck!

My vote is you are over 21 years of age therefore an adult capable of making your own decisions and if that includes going to a U2 concert, so be it. Besides, U2 fans are the coolest-you will come away with lifelong friends.

I can understand where you're coming from. Just because we're a certain age doesn't mean that we are out of our parents control.

If your parents are anything like mine then don't go against what they say...just lie.
Take it from somebody who has experience.

Say that you're spending the night at a friend's house.

If your parents are anything like mine then don't go against what they say...just lie.

I'd have to disagree. Lying is not going to help the situation at all. If anything that will piss them off MORE when they find out that you went to a concert, and they will most likely be even more suspicious and controlling afterward. Better to tell the truth and be up front with them right from the start. Lying is not effective at all.

Good luck, and hope you can make it work out!

I can understand where you're coming from. Just because we're a certain age doesn't mean that we are out of our parents control.

For some reason, this made me lol.

But yeah, I wouldn't lie. But I wouldn't stay home either. I'd explain that, while you understand their concerns, you'll be with friends. Do you have a cell phone? If so, agree to be in constant contact. Call when you get there, before the show starts, after the show is over, when you get to the hotel, when you're on your way home, etc. And then go. I mean, what will they do if you go? Ground you? Take away your TV priveledges? Give you dirty looks for a week or so? Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

I agree with everyone who says that you're old enough to make your own decisions :)

I'm 20 and a student and live at home. Last year when I began planning for the tour my mom was having a fit about me travelling to other cities for shows. But I told her that I wasn't a child anymore, and that I was going to do what I wanted to do. Luckily time got her used to the idea and she supports me now. But it was a rough road!

Tell your parents that you are going to go either way, but say you would like their "blessings" so to speak. If they still refuse, stand your ground and go anyway. You're grown up!

As someone who has sort of been in the same situation, I totally understand, and generally reccommend what Zooey says.
It's all about damage control my friend.
Talk to them a few more times, figure out which parent may be more sympathetic and target them first. They can help ease the fears of the other parent. Be a little flexible...and you can get there. I did!

Good luck.

But yeah, I wouldn't lie. But I wouldn't stay home either. I'd explain that, while you understand their concerns, you'll be with friends. Do you have a cell phone? If so, agree to be in constant contact. Call when you get there, before the show starts, after the show is over, when you get to the hotel, when you're on your way home, etc. And then go. I mean, what will they do if you go? Ground you? Take away your TV priveledges? Give you dirty looks for a week or so? Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

I'd have to disagree. Lying is not going to help the situation at all. If anything that will piss them off MORE when they find out that you went to a concert, and they will most likely be even more suspicious and controlling afterward. Better to tell the truth and be up front with them right from the start. Lying is not effective at all.

Good luck, and hope you can make it work out!

Yeah as long as they don't find out. It's a concert, nothing bad.

I just assumed she meant her parents are controlling. It's difficult to deal with.

Lynn, I understand you. I was 20 when I went to my first U2 concert. My parents were afraid too. They worried about the big crowd, drunk fans, vandalism etc. They thought the crowd will trample me down :D
But I explained them what is an U2 concert about. I said them U2 concert is the safest concert on the earth, the stage structure won´t collapse, there is no vandalism... And the key sentence was: there are no bad people in the world, who are listening to U2.
Tell them who is U2, so they won´t think it´s a wild heavy metal concert or something like it :D

Maybe you could offer to call them when you get there or before the show, to help put them at ease. Giving them more information might help calm them down. But I'd go even if they don't understand... you are an adult. I started traveling alone when I was 19- you obviously have to be careful, but I don't see any reason not to.

What's up with the amount of overprotective parents nowadays? It seems that kids don't have the freedom of doing their own choices without their parents' consent. This usually happens when the kid is around 12-16, but at 22 is just inaudit.

Where's Briscoetheque when we need him the most?

...Wait.

get a life. this may sound raw, but you really should choose a far more radical solution than only going to a u2 concert. go for holidays to sevilla, spain alone for 3 weeks before this summer is over. something like that. it´s a beautiful place, you´ll grow up pretty quick and there´s nothing better than sitting in a plane and leaving it all behind - trust me, you´ll love it! :wave:

i started travelling alone when i was 14.

they clearly said no, today, (again)
that's it! i'm going to runaway, and don't care if they kick me out, or put me under wardship or guradianship!
i just want to go again, even if they said "no you saw them once that's enough!"
covering the shows on facebook via twitter it's cool, but i prefer to be in the crowd!

they clearly said no, today, (again)
that's it! i'm going to runaway, and don't care if they kick me out, or put me under wardship or guradianship!
i just want to go again, even if they said "no you saw them once that's enough!"
covering the shows on facebook via twitter it's cool, but i prefer to be in the crowd!

That's the spirit, just be careful.

Just be shure you let them know your okay once you get travelling.
Prepare things well and have a good time.

Pssst... Go early and leave a note. That way you can be all, "But I was honest! I told you where I was going in the note!" and if your parents are anything like mine are that, thinking about that little bit of honesty will make them less pissed. XD Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom