Finally! I'm Going To Ireland!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vlasak

Acrobat
April 19, 2009 - April 29, 2009!!! I have paid my deposit and I've peed my pants! I have waited over 12 years for this! My Ex - who thought I was an idiot for wanting to go - is paying for this trip!!!! (divorce settlement)!!!! My sister and I are meeting up in Newark, NJ on the 19th of April and flying to Dublin together. We will be on a "go as you please" package - 10 nights B&Bs and 11 days rental car. Here's the thing - since this is the vacation OF MY LIFE, I want to see everything U2 that there is to see. We also want to go to Limerick becuase we both read the book Angela's Ashes and want to see where the author grew up. PLEASE - fill my head with places to go, things to see, things to experience - stuff that only members here will know, not from guide books! We would LOVE to meet up with someone from here for a drink or dinner or whatever. Thanks, in advance, for all your suggestions!!!!

There's a guy named DaveyG on @U2 who is a huge fan, lives in Dublin and will give you a guided tour of U2's Dublin.

Limerick is really interesting - do the castle tour while you're there (King John's I think). Hope you're spending a day/night in Galway. I ADORED Galway. Also, spend a day driving the Ring of Kerry. Totally worth the day's drive and the gas. My other favorite thing there was the day we rented bikes on Inishmaan (ferry leaving from just north of Galway). :love: X 10000

Have a great time!

Oh my Gid, I'm so glad for you! :hyper:

You HAVE to go to Malahide! I'll check with a friend of mine if she knows exactly where is Adam's house! You can go over there, just to check it out!

And you have to visit Mount Temple too! I'm sure you can easily find it on Google Maps or something like that!
Hanover Quay, Grafton Street and - I can't remember the name now, but I can get it later if you want- an amazing store that sells everything about u2: from LP's to drumm sticks!

Visit Slane too! And Cork! Somebody told me that is a beautiful place!

Have fun, and don't hesitate if you see one of our boys there!:applaud:

Congrats! I was there a year ago and loved loved loved it! My family is Irish so it felt very familiar even though I had never been there!
I toured all the sights in Dublin ofcourse but also went over to Galway by train and bus via Limmerick and did the castle tour there. Bunratty Castle is the name. There is a remake of a traditional Irish village there with thatched roof cottages with turf buring fires inside. It's really well done! Galway is where my Great Great Grandparents came from on my Grandmother's side so we had a great time exploring there. Also went to Dingle where Gus O'Connor's pub was. Our family name is Connor, used to be O'Connor so that was hoot! We had a wonderful time there and had the best Guinness Beef Stew YUM!! You have to try that! It's sooo good!
The Cliffs of Moyer are stunning, hopefully you will catch a moment when the sun comes out! :)
Look for the face in the rocks on the side of the cliffs. It's spooky!
I also went to Slane Village and to the castle. Had a private tour there. That was really cool. And went to NewGrange since that is near the village of Slane. Newgrange is really interesting. You learn alot about the Druids and the connection they had with the earth. It's almost like Stonehenge in England. Really facinating!
Have fun! I love Ireland so much!

Congrats

If you can just don´t miss MALAHIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It´s just adorable!!! And it´s U2 related.

It´s 20m away by DART.

Yeah!!!

I am so lucky to know about interference! I am positive we will have a great time and see everything we should see becuase of this place. OK - I'm off to explore (on the www) all of these wonderful ideas you all have! THANKS SO MUCH

Bea - It would be great to get the name of that store! I really appreciate your help.

I will make sure to take some amazing pictures and post them when I return!

Would it be possible to know where Bono's house is if I PROMISE to just drive by and click a picture REAL QUICK like?

If you can, I'd strongly recommend taking a one day trip to the Wicklow Mountains and back - it's so worth it. And make sure you get this man as your guide, his name is John (Sean in Gaelic, I suppose) but I don't remember his last name unfortunately, perhaps you can e-mail them and find out.

Here's a link to thier website with further information:
Coach Tours of Wicklow, Day Tour of Wicklow, Day coach tours from Dublin, guided tours wicklow, coach hire Wicklow, Wicklow bus tours

Here's just one of endless breathtaking views that you'll see:

I visited Ireland this past April around the same time as well.
Some tips in general: Get yourself a decent map, some of the free ones are really terrible and it's hard to find your way around Dublin without a proper map when they leave out smaller alleyways and streets altogether. Bring some warm clothes if you're going to the Docklands (Hanover Quay etc) as it can get quite windy and chilly. I'll see if I can come up with something more later on because it was really a very interesting trip for me to make and so hard to pick out all the highlights.

If you take the Wild Wicklow tour out of Dublin (It's considered the best tour of that area) you will drive past Bono's house. Sit on the left side of the bus. Left as in facing forward. It's in route to the mountains south of Dublin along Dublin Bay. :) Beautiful!!

The U2 store is called Rhythm Records. If you're walking past the liffey (Clarence side - another place to go, and the Octogen Bar inside) you can't miss it, it's just outside Temple Bar.
Also go to Hard Rock Cafe in Temple Bar - trabbies on the ceilling!
Yes definitely take the dart to Malahide and other places along the coast, both North and South of Dublin.
Kilmainham Gaol is interesting, I'd definitely go on the tour bus. Yes very touristy but you get a good quick overview of the city (the yellow buses are better as they have live commentry). Take a stroll round St Stephen's Green, shopping centre nearby. Lunch in Nude cafe, go down Grafton Street, cross the Liffey to O'Connell Street - loads of cool shops. Btw every other shop is an Irish gift shop O'Carrolls!! haha
Definitely spend the nights in Temple Bar area, loads of excellent eateries and pubs with Irish and live music in many.
I miss this city so much! Been there 11 times, I just love it.
Am going again in Jan *sigh*

been there two times and it's a wonderful country with wonderful people :) everyone already suggested so many awesome things, hope you can make half of it at least in those 10 days.. if not, great excuse to go back, aye? :hmm: that's always my excuse when I say I want to go back 'I haven't seen this and that yet!' :lol:

I agree you have to keep going back repeatedly to see it all! I loved Trinity College and strolling along the Liffey. There are so many shops and places to stop for a bite to eat or a beverage of choice.

I always recommend the same place in Dublin: St Michan's church, Church Street.

Translink sometimes do special offers on the Enterprise - the train between Dublin and Belfast - and you can get a 10 pound day return. There are a lot of nice places to see in Belfast and you could easily do it in a day. Driving can be a bit of a nightmare because of traffic jams. If you are driving you might like to see Newgrange which is just outside Drogheda.

Speaking of Driving

any tips? My sister and I laugh at the thought! We are going to be on the wrong side of the car from what we're used to!

Thank you for all the great information! It just get's us more and more excited. We still have several months to go and if I continue to be this excited, I will be exhausted come April!

I put Google earth on my computer and am able to look, real-life, all over Ireland!

There's lovely place up in the mountains called Johnny Fox's. It's a typical Irish pub visited by lots of tourists and famous people. It's very cozy and the food is to die for. The Colcannon soup is lovely.

Also try to pay a little visit to Glendalough and Powerscourt down in Wicklow.

April 19, 2009 - April 29, 2009!!! I have paid my deposit and I've peed my pants! I have waited over 12 years for this! My Ex - who thought I was an idiot for wanting to go - is paying for this trip!!!! (divorce settlement)!!!! My sister and I are meeting up in Newark, NJ on the 19th of April and flying to Dublin together. We will be on a "go as you please" package - 10 nights B&Bs and 11 days rental car. Here's the thing - since this is the vacation OF MY LIFE, I want to see everything U2 that there is to see. We also want to go to Limerick becuase we both read the book Angela's Ashes and want to see where the author grew up. PLEASE - fill my head with places to go, things to see, things to experience - stuff that only members here will know, not from guide books! We would LOVE to meet up with someone from here for a drink or dinner or whatever. Thanks, in advance, for all your suggestions!!!!

There's a guy named DaveyG on @U2 who is a huge fan, lives in Dublin and will give you a guided tour of U2's Dublin.

Limerick is really interesting - do the castle tour while you're there (King John's I think). Hope you're spending a day/night in Galway. I ADORED Galway. Also, spend a day driving the Ring of Kerry. Totally worth the day's drive and the gas. My other favorite thing there was the day we rented bikes on Inishmaan (ferry leaving from just north of Galway). :love: X 10000

Have a great time!

Hi!! How's it going? The U2 Walking Tours Of U2's Dublin Tourguide! Drop me a line if you're interested in a walking tour - u2tours@gmail.com

Today, I am FIVE WEEKS away from getting on a plane here in Austin and landing in Dublin! My sister and I can hardly maintain dignity! We have all sorts of plans! Our accomodations have been paid for, we have our plane tickets and our passports! WE ARE TAKING OFF!!!

What do you think - U2's tour won't start until June 30th. Although they are all over the glove promoting right now, what are the odds I will catch sight of them while I'm there?

Back
Top Bottom