My Best Friend's Devotion to U2 is in Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OrARoundabout

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Well, I was actually excited to come back to school today (Monday) after a long weekend because of a snow day on Friday...why? BECAUSE ME AND MY BEST FRIEND (Let's call her, Brenda) WERE GOING TO DISCUSS THE RECENT REVELVATION THAT NLOTH IS COMING OUT A DAY BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY!

So we talked during the whole lunch period about the cover of Q Magazine, Bono's eyeliner, Edge saying that the new album is amazing, inventive an all around kick ass (We still don't believe him) and Adam's awesome jacket in the Q Photo Shot Video...but something was different, for HTDAAB, she couldn’t have been more excited, now see didn’t seem to have the same passion in her voice, and one person was left out of the conversation completely...

Larry Mullen Jr.

Why may you ask? Well I shall tell you.

Larry lives Nyack, New York (Not sure if it's his permanent residence), a town not to far from me (A bunch of famous people live there as well because of its close proximity to New York City). I know this...because he co-owns a bar across the street from another bar owned by a family I babysit for.

My Best Friend went to the Palisades Mall with her cousin during Summer time (July), when she was walking out she saw Larry walking to his car (An Audi, man's got excellent taste). She is a HUGE U2 fan, and Larry is her favorite (She is a musican herself!). She said there was no one else around in the parking lot, and he wasn't with anyone. So she worked up the courage to ask for autograph (A big deal for her, considering she is such a shy person).

This is their conversation:

6:30 P.M

Brenda: "Mr. Mullen, I'm a huge fan...can I ask for an autograph?"

Larry: "You've got the wrong man."

Brenda: ":|"

Walks away, heartbroken.Takes out her phone, calls me.

6:33 P.M

Brenda: "Kelly?"

Me: "What’s up?"

Brenda:...Inaudible sobs...

Me: "Brenda? What the hell is..."

Brenda: "KELLY, LARRY MULLEN JR JUST DENIED THAT HE WAS LARRY MULLEN JR WHEN I ASKED FOR HIS AUTOGRAPH IN THE MALL PARKING LOT!"

Me: "Oh-My-God... GO OVER THERE AND TELL THAT %$(@*&@ THAT HE'S A *@)#*#&@%&@ AND WE ALWAYS LIKED EDGE OVER HIM!"

She's scarred guys, I mean, she was really upset. This is, in no means, a case of mistaken identity. IT WAS LARRY-IN THE PARKING LOT-AND HE DENIED A 16 YEAR OLD FAN THAT HE WAS INDEED, LARRY MULLEN JR (Her cousin, WHO IS FROM DUBLIN, was a witness to the entire thing). She never talks about U2 with the same excitement anymore. At first I thought she was just taking it to personally, I mean, Larry didn't punch her in the face!

I thought it was an interestying story, Larry denying he was Larry...but if I was Brenda I'd be pretty upset. She came over my house that day and said, "My devotion to this band is now in question..." HOW MELODRAMATIC LOLOLO (But srsly, I love that girl).

I'm only bringing this up because I was wondering if any of the other members of U2 ever dissed a fan, I know everyone has bad days, It's okay...they're good guys.

:)

I think her devotion to Larry should be in question....not the band :| Everytime I have met bono he was so amazing and funny..Adam was awesome and so was the Edge. Perhaps she should convert to the Bono side :happy:

I met the whole band at the U2 by U2 book signing and they were all very friendly except for Larry. When I was talking to him, he looked at me and smiled, but barely said anything. I was in the middle of the line and maybe by then he was tired. I didn't think anything of it and neither should your friend.

I'm coming out of the woodwork to say that I'm really sad to see this story :sad:. It's the polar opposite of the experience I had 2yrs ago. He may not be as comfortable doing the 'fan thing' as the others are, but I can honestly say that when he takes the time to talk to you, it's well worth the wait, and made me a Larry convert! :up:

Larry is a great person. Every time I met him he was very friendly. He is just very sensitive when it comes to his privat life, he just wants to keep it as privat as possible. He just doesn't feel like a 'rockstar', he is simple irish guy:) ;)

It's just Larry being Larry-ish; I wouldn't really hold it against him.

Yeah, I briefly saw him reversing into the garage in Hanover Quay this April.
We were are group of fans there so we waved as he arrived. I'm sure he saw us but he chose not to come out and speak to us. I mean, it's no big deal I understand if that's what he feels like doing. At least I caught a glimpse of him
:shrug:

As has been mentioned already he does occasionally talk to his fans, but I have a feeling it happens less often than with the other three and that's is most likely "just Larry being Larry-ish".

From what I understand Larry is so careful of his private life that the press didn't know the name or even the sex of his third child for almost two years. There are no details about his residences or business in New York, so to maintain that privacy I would expect that he would have to be denying who he is at least sometimes. Remember he was taking the water hose to girls in his neighborhood long before U2 was even formed. He has been entirely consistant in his refusal to cater to the fan culture.

Dana

must've been kinda upsetting for your mate, but tell her not to take it too personally... after all, he doesn't know her, so he doesn't have any personal vendetta against her. he's just a bit moody maybe, lol. and really protective of his private life, as several others have said. i guess that's the risk of meeting your heroes; they may not live up to your expectations. but at the end of the day, they're only human, and it must get really tiring signing autographs and dealing with fans and paparazzi constantly.

so yeah, tell her to keep loving U2, coz it's all about the music at the end of the day! the music will always be there for her, and never let her down, so. :)

It must have been really really upsetting for your friend....

I have been lucky enough to meet the band on numerous occasions.... the first time though is something I want to forget for ever... It was Bono outside his London hotel during the Vertigo Tour and after reading report after report of how amazing he was being to fans in the US - we were heartbroken when he was quiet and moody with us....

We picked ourselves up and have since met Bono lots of times and he has been a star to us, as has Larry,Edge and Adam....

I know Larry can be a little funny with fans but please do not take it personally....
It happens to us all!!!!!! :)

Well, I was actually excited to come back to school today (Monday) after a long weekend because of a snow day on Friday...why? BECAUSE ME AND MY BEST FRIEND (Let's call her, Brenda) WERE GOING TO DISCUSS THE RECENT REVELVATION THAT NLOTH IS COMING OUT A DAY BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY!
:)

Forgive me, but you came back to school after a 3 day weekend? and this (BEST) friend Brenda started to tell you something that happened in July> :hmm:
Have you not seen her since then? Was she gone and only returned after this weekend?
I don't mean to sound skeptical of your friends story, but it's not making any sense.
Why would she not have told you this story back then - yet she's so upset now?
This happened months ago, right? :hmm:

Edited to say: After re-reading I realize you said she called you at the time.
But it still sounds like a case of a mis-identity.
Just to me, of course.

Actually, she may very well have had the wrong guy. There are people in the world who look like celebrities, you know. And just because there are a lot of famous people living in that town, doesn't mean that particular guy was Larry. It could have been a doppelganger.

So Larry's a jerk. There are lots of good bands that have one or more jerks as members. You just ignore them and focus on the ones you do like. The good thing is Larry's a drummer, so he's easy to ignore. ;)

I met Larry in '05 outside of the ACC in Toronto on the day between the 1st and 2nd show of the 3rd leg of the tour, a day that they went to the venue to spend several hours rehearsing. There were only a handful of us, about 6 or 7 altogether. I suspect that's why he came out, because there were so few of us. We were shocked that he did, honestly, we were waiting for Bono or Edge to arrive, thinking we'd get to see them, but it was Larry who stopped his driver as they drove into the parking garage and came out to see us. (When Bono drove by a while later, he rolled down his window, said he was running late :shock: and that he'd see us after rehearsal - and he did! Both Bono and Edge did a meet and greet that evening for what was probably around 20 or so people by then - they took their time and hung out with us, talking to each of us individually, and spent probably 30 - 45 minutes out there with us.)

Larry was friendly in a very quiet way. Posed with all of us for pictures, and signed autographs for all of us. He didn't seem completely comfortable (the way Bono is when he meets people :blahblah: ) but he didn't seem uncomfortable either, if that makes sense. Certainly not chatty, but he was smiling and stuff. We all thanked him profusely, and I don't think it even sunk in what had happened till after he left, lol!

I think with Larry, you have to realize that he's not Bono, and he's just not that comfortable with the fan meet and greet thing, and that the rare times he does do it, you have to be extremely grateful. It's like being a bird watcher, and spotting an incredibly rare species. ;) Also, if it was him, you have to understand that he was spotted on his home turf, a place where he would probably prefer to keep his anonymity as much as possible. He didn't just blow off a fan, he went as far as to deny who he was. As others have said, he's incredibly private.

I really don't blame him for his reaction.

I am sorry to hear your friend had such a bad experience. i think she might've just caught him on a bad day. I had the opportunity to meet all 4 of them (on different occasions) during Vertigo tour and my experiences were nothing but amazing. In fact, the day my friend and I met Larry, he came out of the underground parking (at the venue) because he actually wanted to come and greet the handfull of fans that were standing there. And (even though he didn't say much) he was very, very sweet.
So I would tell your friend not to worry about it!!

I met Larry in '05 outside of the ACC in Toronto on the day between the 1st and 2nd show of the 3rd leg of the tour, a day that they went to the venue to spend several hours rehearsing. There were only a handful of us, about 6 or 7 altogether. I suspect that's why he came out, because there were so few of us. We were shocked that he did, honestly, we were waiting for Bono or Edge to arrive, thinking we'd get to see them, but it was Larry who stopped his driver as they drove into the parking garage and came out to see us. (When Bono drove by a while later, he rolled down his window, said he was running late :shock: and that he'd see us after rehearsal - and he did! Both Bono and Edge did a meet and greet that evening for what was probably around 20 or so people by then - they took their time and hung out with us, talking to each of us individually, and spent probably 30 - 45 minutes out there with us.)

Larry was friendly in a very quiet way. Posed with all of us for pictures, and signed autographs for all of us. He didn't seem completely comfortable (the way Bono is when he meets people :blahblah: ) but he didn't seem uncomfortable either, if that makes sense. Certainly not chatty, but he was smiling and stuff. We all thanked him profusely, and I don't think it even sunk in what had happened till after he left, lol!

I think with Larry, you have to realize that he's not Bono, and he's just not that comfortable with the fan meet and greet thing, and that the rare times he does do it, you have to be extremely grateful. It's like being a bird watcher, and spotting an incredibly rare species. ;) Also, if it was him, you have to understand that he was spotted on his home turf, a place where he would probably prefer to keep his anonymity as much as possible. He didn't just blow off a fan, he went as far as to deny who he was. As others have said, he's incredibly private.

HEY- I was there too!!! i met all of them at the ACC.... what a week that was!! :drool:

^ :drool: I was nearly there. :angry::kiss:

I completely agree with what VP said. We have to remember Larry isn't Bono. Even during tours/recording etc he doesn't often stop as he's not very comfortable with lots of attention. In somewhere he considers home it doesn't suprise me that he didn't want to be recognised. It's true he is like a rare species where even a sighting is lucky, let alone speaking to him. I've had moments where i felt really down about Bono, Adam or Larry not speaking to me or not stopping so i know how your friend feels. Sometimes they're busy, sometimes late or normally in Larry's case they want privacy. I've also had better times trying to meet the band. Sometimes it goes well other times not so well. Tell your friend to try not to take it personally. :hug:

Thats a bit arseholey really. He could have said he was in a rush or just signed it.

He is known to be the antisocial one I spose. But you know, manners Larry. ;)

Brenda: "Mr. Mullen, I'm a huge fan...can I ask for an autograph?"

Larry: "You've got the wrong man."

:shrug: It's just an autograph.

It needn't "question the devotion to the band" though. Or presume that a celebrity is an asshole for not signing a piece of paper. For all we know it may really have been the wrong man.

Let's just imagine for a moment that it was Larry and let's just imagine for a moment that Larry's a bit of a prick when it comes to fans. The fact that your friend isn't sure she likes the band U2 anymore seems a bit silly. There are plenty of really great albums made by really great musicians that happen to be jerks.

I think this is the reason I'd be scared shitless to meet LMJ. Seems like Gluey and some others have been in the minority and I'd rather not meet him than have a crummy experience.

But yeah, at the end of the day, it should be all about the music, right?

Also, if it was him, you have to understand that he was spotted on his home turf, a place where he would probably prefer to keep his anonymity as much as possible. He didn't just blow off a fan, he went as far as to deny who he was. As others have said, he's incredibly private.

Great point, VP!

I'd rather not meet him than have a crummy experience.

ditto...that's the problem sometimes with meeting people you've put on such a high pedestal. Usually they just can't live up to it. Then you're crushed. Fortunately the only time I met Bono and Edge, they were absolutely what I hoped they would be...awesome.

It probably was Larry...after all he has owned property in that area for many, many years (and more than one property too...it's all public information "Laurence" AKA "Lawrence" AKA "Larry" :sexywink:). I just think he feels that when he's "not on the clock" he doesn't need to accommodate fans' wishes. Seems like it would have been a whole lot easier to just sign the autograph, but we don't walk in his shoes, so I guess we can't know.

He could have also been having one of those days where you don't feel like being around people.

Back
Top Bottom