Larry, 26 Years, and the Death of a Camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happy880

The Fly
I was 11 years old when I first heard the wine of Edge's guitar and the pounding heartbeat of Larry's drum in the song An Cat Dubh. From that moment on, I was hooked….another U2 fan was created. And thus began my quest to get a picture, autograph, a mere side glance from the band members. Had I known it would have taken 26 years for something to happen, would I have given up? Obviously not!
The pieces fell together. The company I currently work for moved my office this past November from 5 minutes away from my home in NJ all the way to New York City. 53rd and Broadway to be exact. That first dreaded bus ride turned out to not be so bad. It would be a while before I hear the official announcement that U2 would be playing David Letterman for an entire week. "David Letterman?" I thought. Did my ears deceive me? As we all know now, it was true. For some reason, I felt this was my chance for some type of interaction with one of them. I thought I'd be lucky to interact with one of them.
I tried and tried for 26 years to no evail. At any concert venue, book signing or other public displays, I'd get pushed out by autograph hounds, or get there too late, or be disappointed waiting for them only to be told they were not going to see the crowd tonight. Sad story? Not in the least.
Tueday night, March 3, 2009 I waited outside Letterman until about 9pm and was told that they weren't coming out until way after 11pm. Tired and somewhat defeated, I left, but I knew I'd be back. Wednesday night, March 4, 2009 outside Letterman at 8pm out popped Bono. I couldn't believe it!!! But was I going to get an autograph..a look..something? He skipped me and went to the girl next to me. While he was signing, I pleaded. "Bono….I waited 26 years for an autograph…will you PLEASE sign?" "YOU GOT IT!" he said in that sexy Irish accent and scribbled on my plaque. I didn't realize it was real until I looked at it. THRILLING!!
I had a crush on the coolest, most confident man with a heart warming smile since I was 11 years old. You may have heard of him….Larry Mullen. He comes out those doors and in spite of the crowds responses that he'll just wave, jump in the car and take off, he comes over to the line. He didn't sign but shakes people hands as he goes down. Only a few are chosen and I would have accepted it if I were left out but that warm hand cupped mine. I said, "Nice to meet you" and he said "How ya doin?" Naturally, I couldn't answer that.
For me, I was done. I left not caring about anything else. The bus ride home was different than all the previous ones. This was my favorite ride home.
The next evening, Thursday, March 6, 2009, I went back down to David Letterman only to say hi and goobye to my new U2 friends I met online. I chatted with them for a while and each time I wanted to leave, they berated me to stay a little longer. "In A Little While"…they'll come out. You'll see.
And they did! Larry first this time. I was recording a video with my digital camera as Larry shook hands down the line again. He was just about to approach me when the camera crashed to the street! Oh no! What was I going to do now? Nothing except watch Larry bend down, pick it up, hand it back to me with empathy on his face. Our hands touched as he gave me the now broken camera and asked if I was going to be ok. I just shook my head, yes. I would be just fine with you handing me anything. A silly little camera did not matter. He remained long enough so that my friends can take a picture with him and then moved on.
So for a girl who waited 26 years for a glance from one band member had a special interaction (special for me, probably not for him) with her favorite band member, favorite drummer, and favorite famous person. So for all of those out there who think Larry is ______, I say not. Yes, I had a good moment with him and some of you may not have but he's only one man and cannot smile and greet every single fan out there. He's a person with a family and obligations to so many people. So I say to those cynical fans, don't give up. You'll get your moment. It will eventually come around. Mine did. And it was the coolest moment with the coolest guy walking this Earth.

So glad meeting Larry (finally) was all that you hoped it would be. Congratulations!!

Will you be able to post your video or some of your photos for us? :applaud:

I was right near you. I remember when your camera dropped and he picked it up.

Oh wow! LauraMullen...cool. I can't believe the video kept. The camera is completely busted but I am not going to throw it away!

~Everyone...I can't seem to figure out how to upload the video. Any advice?

Lovezeuser, Larry does have soft hands but it's the look on his face that is burned in my memory forever. Camera trouble does stink but if it weren't for my camera trouble, where would I be? :cute:

Awww :cute: Don't those boys warm your heart :love: Great story, crap about the camera!

Same happened to me at HQ Dublin :ohmy: Except I had no U2 to hand me my camera. There were a few people who kindly took a picture of me and Edge to compensate, and only ONE person sent me them pictures :sad:

But it was one special person :flirt:

:applaud::hyper:YAH!!! For you after 26 years!!!! It does give me hope, too1 So thank you for sharing your story and eventually, your pics! Ahh..I think the memory of Larry:heart: bending down and picking up your camara for you...was worth so much more!!! :up::sexywink:

What an amazing experience. Congrats :D and a big shout out to Larry for being so kind. I've never thought of Larry as mean, he is just private and picks when he wants to be made available to fans. I am so happy for you.

Actualy, I think he was standing in front of me when he picked it up

There was a short girl with red hair next to me, then me, then a short woman from North Carolina on the other side of me, then a tall guy with a hat on. Which side were you on? Were you the girl with the blue sweatshirt on from texas who was there with her mother?

I had a blue coat and the balck Edun scarf on. I was standing next to the tall guy with the hat.

Oh ok. That's why I don't recall you. I'm short and he's so tall so he would have been blocking my view.

that is so precious! :applaud:
I'm really happy for you. makes me wonder how much it will take for me to have my moment ;)

Back
Top Bottom