I want to meet U2!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peter_The_Roman

The Fly
I have been a U2 fan for so long but I have never had the chance to meet them. What is the best strategy for trying to meet someone famous like U2? Do you just have to be at the right place at the right time? Does the band sign autographs before and after shows?

Hi Peter!! I sympathise with you!!

For the first time in my life I am in the same City the U2 are (except for the concerts but that's a too short time!!).

I spent 2 weeks in the freezing cold London winter trying to find the studios they are recording in but all I hav got is a cold! :depressed:

What do I have to do to find them?? Who do I have to ask to?? :scratch:

All my lunch breaks are spent visiting studios around the area I know they are and...nothing!! I spoke to my connections (I work in the music industry but my connections aren't good connections!! :angry::angry: ) and still nothing!!

Why am I so unlucky?? :sad::sad:

I was 11 years old when I first heard the wine of Edge's guitar and the pounding heartbeat of Larry's drum in the song An Cat Dubh. From that moment on, I was hooked….another U2 fan was created. And thus began my quest to get a picture, autograph, a mere side glance from the band members. Had I known it would have taken 26 years for something to happen, would I have given up? Obviously not!
The pieces fell together. The company I currently work for moved my office this past November from 5 minutes away from my home in NJ all the way to New York City. 53rd and Broadway to be exact. That first dreaded bus ride turned out to not be so bad. It would be a while before I hear the official announcement that U2 would be playing David Letterman for an entire week. "David Letterman?" I thought. Did my ears deceive me? As we all know now, it was true. For some reason, I felt this was my chance for some type of interaction with one of them. I thought I'd be lucky to interact with one of them.
I tried and tried for 26 years to no evail. At any concert venue, book signing or other public displays, I'd get pushed out by autograph hounds, or get there too late, or be disappointed waiting for them only to be told they were not going to see the crowd tonight. Sad story? Not in the least.
Tueday night, March 3, 2009 I waited outside Letterman until about 9pm and was told that they weren't coming out until way after 11pm. Tired and somewhat defeated, I left, but I knew I'd be back. Wednesday night, March 4, 2009 outside Letterman at 8pm out popped Bono. I couldn't believe it!!! But was I going to get an autograph..a look..something? He skipped me and went to the girl next to me. While he was signing, I pleaded. "Bono….I waited 26 years for an autograph…will you PLEASE sign?" "YOU GOT IT!" he said in that sexy Irish accent and scribbled on my plaque. I didn't realize it was real until I looked at it. THRILLING!!
I had a crush on the coolest, most confident man with a heart warming smile since I was 11 years old. You may have heard of him….Larry Mullen. He comes out those doors and in spite of the crowds responses that he'll just wave, jump in the car and take off, he comes over to the line. He didn't sign but shakes people hands as he goes down. Only a few are chosen and I would have accepted it if I were left out but that warm hand cupped mine. I said, "Nice to meet you" and he said "How ya doin?" Naturally, I couldn't answer that.
For me, I was done. I left not caring about anything else. The bus ride home was different than all the previous ones. This was my favorite ride home.
The next evening, Thursday, March 6, 2009, I went back down to David Letterman only to say hi and goobye to my new U2 friends I met online. I chatted with them for a while and each time I wanted to leave, they berated me to stay a little longer. "In A Little While"…they'll come out. You'll see.
And they did! Larry first this time. I was recording a video with my digital camera as Larry shook hands down the line again. He was just about to approach me when the camera crashed to the street! Oh no! What was I going to do now? Nothing except watch Larry bend down, pick it up, hand it back to me with empathy on his face. Our hands touched as he gave me the now broken camera and asked if I was going to be ok. I just shook my head, yes. I would be just fine with you handing me anything. A silly little camera did not matter. He remained long enough so that my friends can take a picture with him and then moved on.
So for a girl who waited 26 years for a glance from one band member had a special interaction (special for me, probably not for him) with her favorite band member, favorite drummer, and favorite famous person. So for all of those out there who think Larry is ______, I say not. Yes, I had a good moment with him and some of you may not have but he's only one man and cannot smile and greet every single fan out there. He's a person with a family and obligations to so many people. So I say to those cynical fans, don't give up. You'll get your moment. It will eventually come around. Mine did. And it was the coolest moment with the coolest guy walking this Earth.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think the best chance to meet the band is when they are recording, especially in. Dublin, where everyone knows where their studio is is the boys are happy to greet the fans outside, take photos etc. Many people met them like that. i heard even Larry had a few good days and was kind enough to go out to fans :) ;)
So you probably must wait till the boys are back in the studio and visit Dublin :)
But who knows maybe you will be lucky and just find yourself in a right time and a right place sooner with this :)
I met them many times , I hope for devoted fans to have a chance too.

I was 11 years old when I first heard the wine of Edge's guitar and the pounding heartbeat of Larry's drum in the song An Cat Dubh. From that moment on, I was hooked….another U2 fan was created. And thus began my quest to get a picture, autograph, a mere side glance from the band members. Had I known it would have taken 26 years for something to happen, would I have given up? Obviously not!
The pieces fell together. The company I currently work for moved my office this past November from 5 minutes away from my home in NJ all the way to New York City. 53rd and Broadway to be exact. That first dreaded bus ride turned out to not be so bad. It would be a while before I hear the official announcement that U2 would be playing David Letterman for an entire week. "David Letterman?" I thought. Did my ears deceive me? As we all know now, it was true. For some reason, I felt this was my chance for some type of interaction with one of them. I thought I'd be lucky to interact with one of them.
I tried and tried for 26 years to no evail. At any concert venue, book signing or other public displays, I'd get pushed out by autograph hounds, or get there too late, or be disappointed waiting for them only to be told they were not going to see the crowd tonight. Sad story? Not in the least.
Tueday night, March 3, 2009 I waited outside Letterman until about 9pm and was told that they weren't coming out until way after 11pm. Tired and somewhat defeated, I left, but I knew I'd be back. Wednesday night, March 4, 2009 outside Letterman at 8pm out popped Bono. I couldn't believe it!!! But was I going to get an autograph..a look..something? He skipped me and went to the girl next to me. While he was signing, I pleaded. "Bono….I waited 26 years for an autograph…will you PLEASE sign?" "YOU GOT IT!" he said in that sexy Irish accent and scribbled on my plaque. I didn't realize it was real until I looked at it. THRILLING!!
I had a crush on the coolest, most confident man with a heart warming smile since I was 11 years old. You may have heard of him….Larry Mullen. He comes out those doors and in spite of the crowds responses that he'll just wave, jump in the car and take off, he comes over to the line. He didn't sign but shakes people hands as he goes down. Only a few are chosen and I would have accepted it if I were left out but that warm hand cupped mine. I said, "Nice to meet you" and he said "How ya doin?" Naturally, I couldn't answer that.
For me, I was done. I left not caring about anything else. The bus ride home was different than all the previous ones. This was my favorite ride home.
The next evening, Thursday, March 6, 2009, I went back down to David Letterman only to say hi and goobye to my new U2 friends I met online. I chatted with them for a while and each time I wanted to leave, they berated me to stay a little longer. "In A Little While"…they'll come out. You'll see.
And they did! Larry first this time. I was recording a video with my digital camera as Larry shook hands down the line again. He was just about to approach me when the camera crashed to the street! Oh no! What was I going to do now? Nothing except watch Larry bend down, pick it up, hand it back to me with empathy on his face. Our hands touched as he gave me the now broken camera and asked if I was going to be ok. I just shook my head, yes. I would be just fine with you handing me anything. A silly little camera did not matter. He remained long enough so that my friends can take a picture with him and then moved on.
So for a girl who waited 26 years for a glance from one band member had a special interaction (special for me, probably not for him) with her favorite band member, favorite drummer, and favorite famous person. So for all of those out there who think Larry is ______, I say not. Yes, I had a good moment with him and some of you may not have but he's only one man and cannot smile and greet every single fan out there. He's a person with a family and obligations to so many people. So I say to those cynical fans, don't give up. You'll get your moment. It will eventually come around. Mine did. And it was the coolest moment with the coolest guy walking this Earth.

Heartwarming stories, thank you for sharing! :applaud:

Awesome story!!

I was lucky enough to meet them during Vertigo tour while they were in rehearsal stage prior to NA leg of the tour. Was and will always be the best day of my life. And I never ever thought it would be possible to mer them. So...don't give up!

I feel ya! Ask my 19 year old. She has meet every singer of every concert she has been to. I love U2 and would never ask for another thing if I could meet them too. Just one hour in the same room other then a concert. If you figure it out let me know. I am in California

I know this is an old post, but I'd say it's worth it to break a camera.... to get his attention, hand you it, and talk to you
:hyper:

Back
Top Bottom