First trip to Dublin; advice please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Savi424

The Fly
I just booked a trip to Dublin and I want your expert help. Has anyone taken any U2 tours there? Are they good? Is it worth it to stay at the Clarence? I only have 4 days there and I want to see as much as I can of the city. I also want to do everything possible to be in the right place at the right time for a chance to see Bono. I am praying that he will be in town, and that I will get to meet him and thank him.

This is my first time to Ireland- (much to the dismay of my Irish relatives!) What are the U2 things that I should not miss?

Oh- I am leaving in 4 weeks, kind of a last minute decision!

Thank you in advance to any Plebans that can help :)

I stayed at the Clarence...was pretty average so wouldnt recommend it. You may have read that they are going to expand the Clarence hotel and expand it etc...as a result of this they have let the existing hotel run down. You can go there for a drink at least. Worth going down windmill lane and down to their recording studios (all within walking distance of each other).

zuropa_fit said:
There's a guy on @u2.com, goes by daveyg. He does a U2 tour and a few people on that site have taken it and enjoyed it. Look him up.

Thank you, I have contacted him and arranged a tour. He seemed quite friendly in his email reply. With such a short time I am considering another U2 tour done by car. Have you heard of this one?

http://unofficalu2tour.com/index.html

bazza said:
I stayed at the Clarence...was pretty average so wouldnt recommend it. You may have read that they are going to expand the Clarence hotel and expand it etc...as a result of this they have let the existing hotel run down. You can go there for a drink at least. Worth going down windmill lane and down to their recording studios (all within walking distance of each other).

It is disappointing to hear it isn't in great shape. The rates are higher than the Westin so I will probably go there instead. If I am paying that much I want a very nice room!

Thank you for the help, it is appreciated. Any wonderful pubs that I shouldn't miss?

Bazza, I just noticed you are in Australia. I spent most of September there and had a wonderful time. Everyone we met was friendly and welcoming. Going back again next year.

Last edited:
Your'e going in 4 weeks maybe you can visit hanover quay then,
i heard that they would be back in the studio this november so maybe you get lucky and see them. good luck and have a great stay in Dublin.:wave:

joosten said:
Your'e going in 4 weeks maybe you can visit hanover quay then,
i heard that they would be back in the studio this november so maybe you get lucky and see them. good luck and have a great stay in Dublin.:wave:

I plan to visit hanover quay, is there any way to find out if they will be in town then? I will only be there from Dec 12-16. How long of a walk is it from Temple Bar? I am counting the minutes until I leave!

PS..Joosten, I have a good friend in Holland, wil be visiting her again for Queens Day. Amsterdam is one of my favorite cities. Took a picture with "Bono" at the wax museum in Dam square. :)

waynetravis said:
Hanover Quay is about a 30min walk from the Temple Bar :)

Good luck!!

Thank you! I hope I have the same luck that you did! What time should I go?? Can you give me any other tips? Please?

Awww, good luck and enjoy your trip! I wanted to go for New Year's Day, but other things occurred and I cannot go ... I'm already traveling too much these days. So I'll go next spring/summer, hoping the guys will still be around recording.

waynetravis said:
PM coming your way, shortly :)

Well Wayne...I'd love to have that info as well as I'll be in Dublin in a very short period of time...I mean...very ,very short so if you could send it to me....I'd be thankfull.

Here you have my data: collector at u2eastlink dot com

Thanks in advance

Savi424 - the Temple Bar area if the spot to hang around in after a good day of u2 spotting. Make sure you knock on the door of the studios to see if the band is around or are going to be around. We knocked and a guy opened the door and told us they were in Morocco etc. They will no doubt be give you a hint or two if the band are in town. Make sure you show us your photos either way!

Ps - good to hear you had a great time in Australia - just starting to get warm here again so it's getting even better!

Yes, Sam told something like that- that band is probably going to finish their new album somewhere else...

And you right, nenril- 'great' idea...
How can people be so bothersome?! When you have a good luck and you meet them- great for you! But to knock on the door, to ring a bell or something like this? Oh my... It's just too much.

Savi 424....I'm going to Dublin in March, any tips you have I'd appreciate.

If anybody has any suggestions where to go at night etc. too I'd be grateful.

nenril said:

Oh yeah, brilliant idea, why don't you ring the bell too?!

When they are in the studio, they're WORKING. Have some respect for them and appreciate that they still come out to fans sometimes. I'm afraid that when they move to the U2 Tower there will be no way to meet them. Maybe better for them, seeing how disrespectful 'fans' are these days.

And if what Sam said was true they won't be recording in HQ anyway, at least they will have some peace to finish this album.

I agree I couldnt believe that comment knock on the door?????????!! why not go the whole hog and ring Bono's door bell!!:huh:
This is why they had security outside HQ during the recording of HTDAAB because of the behaviour of SOME not all "fans" some of who are on this site and you know who you are!:huh:

But anyway have a blast in Dublin when you go and see as much as possible.

I'm there from the 25th November so will go down and take a look and at the other studios to see whats going on. (if anything)

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Don't worry, I won't knock on the door :) I plan to be as poite as possible. Meanwhile I am praying that I get a chance to take a picture with Bono.....(Wayne I am inspired by you!)

I am currently in Mexico and I didn't log on here for a couple days. It was awesome to see all these helpful posts this morning. I love this place, thank you!

well if you travel from the other side of the world and your a real fan you don't just stand out the front and twiddle your fingers

I don't usually say much about this sort of stuff, but all I say now is it's about "RESPECT".....I waited 13 yrs for them to come back to NZ and respect got me the chance to meet them, not hounding them.....if I had of been forward and intrusive a meeting never would have happened......

Good luck Savi. If it's meant to be, it'll fall into your lap & you won't have to go knocking on doors to get it.

:wink:

Last edited:
bazza said:
well if you travel from the other side of the world and your a real fan you don't just stand out the front and twiddle your fingers

Well...If you are A REAL fan you respect your idols...

I met them a couple of times without 'knocking on the door'.
And you know what...You really can see the difference between their behaviour towards fans that 'take it easy' and bothersome, cranky people...

bazza said:

Well I'm a HUGE fan of the Queen too but I doubt I'd get anywhere by knocking on the gate to the palace and loudly demanding to be let in so I could meet her.

Observation:

From what I've read and understand here the band is usually pretty decent about posing for pictures etc if one meets them out and about. I'd rather have my picture taken with Happy Bono than with Now go away and stop bothering me Bono.

bazza said:

Real fans dont behave like that grow up!

Mirjam said:

Well...If you are A REAL fan you respect your idols...

I met them a couple of times without 'knocking on the door'.
And you know what...You really can see the difference between their behaviour towards fans that 'take it easy' and bothersome, cranky people...

That's what it was like on the night when I was there.

There was about 10 of us, and when Bono's car was been brought out everyone charged over while I walk peacfuly behind.

Bono's car was parked and ready and Sam told these people to stand back and dont crowd. They listened to some degree.
When Bono came out he was surrounded and kept saying I'm not staying long, so I think he was uncomfortable with this.

I was standing back, and as soon as there was a gap I asked him politely to sign for me and said ''no problem''.

Now Edge's car, OMG, never seen anything like it.
His car came out and everyone surrounded it tapping on the windows telling him to get out.
I was on the phone and I heard lots of shouting, when I turned to see I couldnt believe what I was seeing :huh:

As soon as there was a clearing he was off.

Back
Top Bottom