Edge at the TIFF08 in Toronto!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2BROTHR

Mirror Ball Man 2.0
Here goes...

I decided to go straight to Ryerson Theatre to see if I can catch The Edge, Jimmy Page, and Jack White. Got there at around 6:15pm. There currently is another movie showing at this time. I arrive at the theatre only to find about 8 people in front of me. Most of the people in front are huge Led Zepplin fans. Some of them are from a board on the net just like this one. I manage to talk to a neat guy who is just as a fanatic as I am. He has a room dedicated to Zepplin paraphernalia just as I have my own U2 shrine. In my scurry to arrive at the theatre, I bring a picture that I took of the Edge as well a CD cover from the Zepplin box set and a CD cover from the White Stripes' Elephant album. Ready for this? The major Zepplin fan I met brings his Zepplin gear and manages to pack a Rattle and Hum record and a White Stripes CD.

After waiting for a period of time I get to know the folks in line. Everyone is PUMPED! As am I! The Edge is in my city! Butterflies start to appear similar to the four shows U2 did in Toronto to open the 3rd leg of the Vertigo tour.

I notice that there is a red carpet and that there is a place for spectators to line up. One side is for press.....the other side is blocked by a barrier for spectators. My wife ends up arriving and holds my spot in line while I go check out the red carpet.

They start letting people into the theatre. My wife is at the tail end of the 1st block of people to go in. She turns to see if the friends she met in line are behind her and the usher ropes of the first block of people to go in the theatre. As my wife turns around to look if her friends are behind her she stands face to face with the Edge just as he leaves the SUV.

Edge arrives first. He does an interview with someone from Much Music. He makes his way down the carpet....and lights and cameras flicker. The small U2 group of us call him and he makes his way over to us and starts to motion a "keep it down" or "hush" action. I hear him distinctly say, "I can't sign anything". "I'm sorry....but I can't sign anything". I'm shocked.....a bit disappointed.....but even more disappointed for the other people I was with who wanted their first Edge signature.

Jimmy Page shows up and the commotion is louder. He walks through waves once and greets Edge at the end of the carpet. They embrace like old friends.

My camera wasn't working too hot in the low light....but this was what I got while they were waiting for Jack to show up.

n512545446_4063700_3880.jpg

Jack White shows up and he looks great.....but quite ghastly. He almost looks like Edward Scissor Hands. I also see him with his son. I try to take some more pics but now folks are starting to run to the barrier court yard area. They are really too far away....Ok...time for plan B.

n512545446_4063702_4557.jpg

While the three of them are posing in front of the TIFF white sign, they allow people with tickets to enter. In a smart move, (bless my wife as she puts up with my fanaticism) she goes to the front of the theatre and saves me a seat in the front row!

After everyone is seated, all three guitarists enter the room to a packed house. It's a love in! Everyone is on their feet cheering and screaming. Some of the old Zep fans start yelling out Zep songs....I take a moment to yell "ACHTUNG BABY".

Davis Guggenheim comes to the stage. He also directed "An Inconvenient Truth". He has a fantastic speech to start the show......and we're off to the races.

Words cannot explain how neat it is to be sitting in the same room with one of your idols watching the premier of a movie for the 1st time! WOW!!!

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
Ok...so without spoiling the movie too much......Edge does pull out two new riffs in the film. One of them is the "Boots" song.....another song from the new album is played....it is just the guitar parts...but I see a new title in the credits.

This movie is about guitars, the three different styles of the artists, and the creative process. There is a ton of history, old footage, video clips, film......

There are some funny laughs in the flick.....Edge teaches Jimmy and Jack how to play "I Will Follow". At one point Jimmy says, "Are you sure that's C? Are you sure about that now?"

Jack White is truly eccentric and Jimmy Page was quite the session musician. There are parts where Edge goes to Mount Temple and starts to reminisce about the band. There are some profound moments in the movie. There's even a part where Edge talks about his effects and says, "It might get loud"!

It's interesting to see Edge and Jimmy featured in the band without major mention of their frontmen. It's unique to hear the guitarists' side of things without the lead singer getting the attention.

At the end of the film all three of them learn and play the song "The Load" by The Band with Jack White singing most of the lead. When they practice at first Jimmy pleads, "I can't sing....I'm just gonnna follow. I can't sing."

END OF SPOILERS END OF SPOILERS END OF SPOILERS

Afterward all of them come up on stage for the question and answer period.

n512545446_4063710_7108.jpg

n512545446_4063713_8137.jpg

n512545446_4063714_8477.jpg

n512545446_4063715_8813.jpg

n512545446_4063723_881.jpg

After taking these pictures I was a happy man. Another fantastic U2 blessing.

Rumor is, Edge would not sign anything because Jimmy Page expressed that he would not sign anything while in Toronto as he did not want people following him around. I believe the rest of them followed suit to respect Jimmy's wishes.

Here is the clip of The Edge leaving the press conference today. Great smile from the man. You can hear me say "Thanks Edge...thank you brother!"

I'm sure he must be wondering, "Why is it that every time I come to Toronto or the North Eastern states, I have this big black man following me?"

[youtube]4qORxoM2TzE[/youtube]

Thanks for sharing your story and the video. Sounds like you had a great ime. Was that Morleigh getting into the SUV after Edge??

Back
Top Bottom