Bono in Oakland, CA today- some pics I took....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bret6262 said:
that is a great pic Roman- I never even saw you with all my tunnel vision..! What was it like inside (as far as was it packed, how it was set up, etc.)...thx!

well.... I showed up early and along with a photographer was the only person there from the press until about 10:30 a.m. It really wasn't very busy until 10 minutes prior, when all the TV people showed up. They set the press conference up in the gym. People stood about 8 feet away from the podium, in an arc. I got there first and stuck my coat on the floor directly in front to save my spot (if you don't the cameramen will steal it). The mood was very calm, and I'm pretty sure that the only Bono/U2 fans among the journalists were me and one photographer. A few of them even joked about asking Bono "if he had found what he was looking for," because it was the only song they knew. I guess journalists are trained not to jump to celebrity, but when it comes to U2 I am a fan first. After getting my photo taken, I was so high I didn't even see there was a group of fans waiting there. Otherwise I would have gone to see if I knew anyone there:)

PS: I really wanted to get my U2 by U2 signed, but couldn't think of anywhere to put it during the day.

romi said:
ea709446.jpg

here's my photo

romi!!!!!!!!! AWESOME, ADORABLE PIC OF THE BOTH OF YA!! WTG!!:wink: :drool: :bow:

I remember talkin to ya in Vegas, early in the morning before Vegas2...:wink: I think I was standing with Miroslava at the time..

not sure if you remember me...

<<<< Amy

romi said:

well.... I showed up early and along with a photographer was the only person there from the press until about 10:30 a.m. It really wasn't very busy until 10 minutes prior, when all the TV people showed up. They set the press conference up in the gym. People stood about 8 feet away from the podium, in an arc. I got there first and stuck my coat on the floor directly in front to save my spot (if you don't the cameramen will steal it). The mood was very calm, and I'm pretty sure that the only Bono/U2 fans among the journalists were me and one photographer. A few of them even joked about asking Bono "if he had found what he was looking for," because it was the only song they knew. I guess journalists are trained not to jump to celebrity, but when it comes to U2 I am a fan first. After getting my photo taken, I was so high I didn't even see there was a group of fans waiting there. Otherwise I would have gone to see if I knew anyone there:)

PS: I really wanted to get my U2 by U2 signed, but couldn't think of anywhere to put it during the day.

that wouldn't of been easy.. that is a BIG ASS BOOK to lug around.. :ohmy:
try reading that in bed ....sheeshhhhhh:huh:

U2Fanatic4ever said:

not sure if you remember me...

<<<< Amy

Hey Amy, I would probably remember you right away if I saw your picture. In the one you have up, you look an awful lot like bono:) Is there one posted somewhere around here?

Let me start off by saying I am new at this site. I accidently came across this forum when I googled "Bono sightings in the Bay Area"... Not sure if this is the correct place to share my story, but I had a close encounter with Bono at Starbucks in Foster City on March 02, 2007 at 8:32am.

I ran into him right before Bret6262 caught up with him in Oakland. Lucky for me, he and his entourage decided to stop at Starbucks for some lattes before the meeting.

He was sitting in the passenger's seat in a black SUV, window rolled down, while bopping his head. Funny thing, no one recognized him but me. I made eye contact with him and he gave me a thumbs up. My eyes lit up and he gestured me to come over. Before my very eyes, the Rock Star, Humanitarian, and AIDS Activist....BONO! I was completely and utterly starstruck! A warm and fuzzy feeling came over me, hehe. I've been in-love with him (and his music) since the 8th grade : )

We had a brief conversation. He asked me what my name was and with a goofy smile on my face, I replied Carol. I then asked him, "Do you know who you are?" He laughed and said tell me. Oh man! I asked him what he was doing in Foster City and he said he was heading to Oakland to address the Aids epidemic in the black community. He also mentioned he was going to receive an award that evening in LA. Ahhhh, I was glued to his lips when he spoke. He commented on how white my teeth were and I giggled like a school girl.

He stepped out of the SUV and gave me a hug. Still, no one recognized him. I squeezed him and I didn't want to let go! He smelled soooo good, ahhhhh. He was a lot shorter than I imagined him to be, but who cares...he's Bono!

His assistant came around with coffee and pastries. That's when I noticed a second SUV with at least 5 African American men dressed all in black. I was so caught up in the moment, I didn't realize his bodyguards were watching us.

I went home, turned on the News and there he was! I became very emotional and couldn't stop crying. It finally hit me...I was BONO-fied!

Since my encouter with Bono, my life hasn't been the same. I'm constantly reliving every moment, I can't sleep, I'm glued to the internet, and I'm beating myself up for not taking a picture : (

To keep my sanity, I ask myself: What is more meaningful?

1) A photo with Bono -or-
2) An intimate conversation with Bono (hug included)

I've been bitten by the Bono bug, hehe. I haven't felt like this since the 80's. I love U2!

welcome to Interference! You've got a heck of a story to tell people now!. And don't worry, you'll get your photo eventually;)

Amy: I totally recognize you now:wave:

Wow! Talk about timing! That is pretty amazing and you must have done a huge double take!! Congrats!!!

Funny thing is you got the real deal. At NAMM this year (a music convention in Anaheim every January) tons of rock stars (members of Van Halen, Duran Duran, The Police, Stevie Wonder, KISS, and lots more) were there. My friend calls me to say that he just met Bono but he actually met an impersonator- here is who he met- (this is his pic)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/bret6262/NAMM 2007/fakeBono.jpg

My friend (who is not a huge U2 fan) was 100% convinced that he just met Bono.... I tried to break it to him that he was fooled...

Congrats on your meet!!!

sweetcaroline, that is an *awesome* story!! :love:
Having a photo with the man is cool, but getting to talk to him alone? Having him ask you questions, hug you, really talk to you? That is beyond cool.

I know you're wishing you had a photo, but just think, someday you will see him again and he'll (most likely) remember you, and then you'll get your photo and more. :yes:
I'm glad you found this forum and shared you story with all of us. Stick around!:hug:

:wink: :yes: :sexywink: Oh you've been bitten aright!!! hee...lol! You will never be the same! Oh..and ThankYou! for sharing that! yeah, that Was Your Moment! but you know won't be your last....Bono*love to ya!:wink:

Your picture will come Carol. That was a great story!! If I wasnt expecting to see him I think I wouldve panicked ~good thing you kept your composure:wink:

sweetcaroline said:
I became very emotional and couldn't stop crying. It finally hit me...I was BONO-fied!

Since my encouter with Bono, my life hasn't been the same. I'm constantly reliving every moment, I can't sleep, I'm glued to the internet, and I'm beating myself up for not taking a picture : (

I've been bitten by the Bono bug, hehe. I haven't felt like this since the 80's. I love U2!

What an amazing story. And to have such a private meeting with him...no other fans around to disturb your meeting. You are truly lucky!!!

I don't think those were all his bodyguards...wasn't that Brian I saw in one of the earlier pictures??

sweetcaroline said:
Let me start off by saying I am new at this site. I accidently came across this forum when I googled "Bono sightings in the Bay Area"... Not sure if this is the correct place to share my story, but I had a close encounter with Bono at Starbucks in Foster City on March 02, 2007 at 8:32am.

I ran into him right before Bret6262 caught up with him in Oakland. Lucky for me, he and his entourage decided to stop at Starbucks for some lattes before the meeting.

He was sitting in the passenger's seat in a black SUV, window rolled down, while bopping his head. Funny thing, no one recognized him but me. I made eye contact with him and he gave me a thumbs up. My eyes lit up and he gestured me to come over. Before my very eyes, the Rock Star, Humanitarian, and AIDS Activist....BONO! I was completely and utterly starstruck! A warm and fuzzy feeling came over me, hehe. I've been in-love with him (and his music) since the 8th grade : )

We had a brief conversation. He asked me what my name was and with a goofy smile on my face, I replied Carol. I then asked him, "Do you know who you are?" He laughed and said tell me. Oh man! I asked him what he was doing in Foster City and he said he was heading to Oakland to address the Aids epidemic in the black community. He also mentioned he was going to receive an award that evening in LA. Ahhhh, I was glued to his lips when he spoke. He commented on how white my teeth were and I giggled like a school girl.

He stepped out of the SUV and gave me a hug. Still, no one recognized him. I squeezed him and I didn't want to let go! He smelled soooo good, ahhhhh. He was a lot shorter than I imagined him to be, but who cares...he's Bono!

His assistant came around with coffee and pastries. That's when I noticed a second SUV with at least 5 African American men dressed all in black. I was so caught up in the moment, I didn't realize his bodyguards were watching us.

I went home, turned on the News and there he was! I became very emotional and couldn't stop crying. It finally hit me...I was BONO-fied!

WOW - What a FANtastic story! So happy for you :)
Glad you had that moment, and yes, you relive it over and over. Congratulations and welcome to Interference :hug:

You'll run into many of us here who have had a brush with Bono and/or others in the band. Surf the site a bit and you will be hooked :yes: My daughter & I ran into him at an Edun event last year AND my daughter (who is 12 & posts here) got pulled up on stage in Hawaii.

Lila64 said:

WOW - What a FANtastic story! So happy for you :)
Glad you had that moment, and yes, you relive it over and over. Congratulations and welcome to Interference :hug:

You'll run into many of us here who have had a brush with Bono and/or others in the band. Surf the site a bit and you will be hooked :yes: My daughter & I ran into him at an Edun event last year AND my daughter (who is 12 & posts here) got pulled up on stage in Hawaii.

I second that!! CONGRATS YOU HAVE BEEN STUNG BY THE BONO BUG! YOU WILL NEVER RECOVER.. Nor will you want to! :wink:

And welcome welcome welcome to interference and this forum, PLEBA...where you are free to drool over the boys all you want.

A great story Carol and enjoy your stay here!

Carol...have patience, you will get that picture with him.. I have been a hardcore fan for 20 yrs and I have yet to get one with him. The people who do are so so lucky... it's all about timing too.

Carol...sounds like you gave Bono something at that moment...someone to share his happiness about the upcoming award with. How cool is that!

sweetcaroline said:

I have been to that very Starbucks!!! I am willing to bet his convoy was en route from SFO to Oakland.....you go right through Foster City to the SM Bridge and on to Oakland. :up: Way cool, what an awesome unforgettable experience!

Carek1230 said:

I have been to that very Starbucks!!! I am willing to bet his convoy was en route from SFO to Oakland.....you go right through Foster City to the SM Bridge and on to Oakland. :up: Way cool, what an awesome unforgettable experience!

That couldn't have been it. Security told me he flew in the night before:) So, this begs the wuestion ... what was he doing in Foster City?

Maybe he was staying at Steve Jobs's in Woodside..I believe he's stayed there before:hmm:

Carek1230, you're absolutely correct about the location! It's the Starbucks next to Noah's Bagel and Jamba Juice, hehe. I'm there every morning!

Romi: Can you ask the security guard where he stayed over night? Foster City is near Woodside, Hillsborough, Palo Alto... upscale neighborhoods. I wonder if he stayed in those areas, hmmm. If so, he would have to pass through Foster City to get on the SM Bridge and onto Oakland like Carek1230 mentioned.

sweetcaroline said:
Romi: Can you ask the security guard where he stayed over night? Foster City is near Woodside, Hillsborough, Palo Alto... upscale neighborhoods. I wonder if he stayed in those areas, hmmm. If so, he would have to pass through Foster City to get on the SM Bridge and onto Oakland like Carek1230 mentioned.

Hi. I'm actually not close with anyone in the U2 camp, I was just at the Oakland event and had a chance to speak with the security guy for a few minutes. At this point, i would have to go with the Jobs theory. I know for sure they flew out of Oakland, because they only had a 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. window to fly out (FAA makes pilots report when they are taking off and such). They left the meetings at about 12:15 p.m.

Carol, this is an amazing story, I am happy for you. Hugging and talking to Bono! Reading fan stories like this makes me love the guy even more. :love:

bret6262 said:
Wow! Talk about timing! That is pretty amazing and you must have done a huge double take!! Congrats!!!

Funny thing is you got the real deal. At NAMM this year (a music convention in Anaheim every January) tons of rock stars (members of Van Halen, Duran Duran, The Police, Stevie Wonder, KISS, and lots more) were there. My friend calls me to say that he just met Bono but he actually met an impersonator- here is who he met- (this is his pic)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/bret6262/NAMM 2007/fakeBono.jpg

My friend (who is not a huge U2 fan) was 100% convinced that he just met Bono.... I tried to break it to him that he was fooled...

Congrats on your meet!!!

:sigh: WHEN is it gonna stop????

that guy on your pic is Pavel Sfera, an idiot who impersonates Bono for a living, but doesn't tell people he's NOT Bono... he lets them believe he's Bono... and I've grown a very big dislike against him for all the stories Ive heard and things I"ve seen on youtube.... he disgusts me, and I hope he'll crawl back under his rock VERY soon!:barf:

Caroline :cute: I'd say your story sounds much cooler than a pic with Bono! especially because nobody recognized him I think he's a bit more easygoing...great story, and welcome to Interference :hug:

sweetcaroline said:

Hi Carol, Nice to meet you. :wave:

What an awesome experience you had with Bono. I am so happy for every gal who gets to meet him. He lights a fire!!!:combust:
Stick around and hopefully one day you'll get your picture with him. It took me 26 years, the only problem now is I want more. One Bono isn't enough! Congratulations!!

Back
Top Bottom