A question for those who have met the band at Hanover Quay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RavenBlue

Blue Crack Addict
Hi all :)

I've been in Ireland for a couple weeks now (leaving soon :( ) and have tried several times to meet the band. I'm not able to stay past five pm, which is a bit disheartening since I know that if I could.. I likely would've met one of them by now.

Anyway, what I wanted to ask is.. do you think it would be alright to tell Sam or one of the crew my predicament to see if I might be able to get a picture with one of them? Or I am fucked.. :giggle:

Thanks gals and guys

Sam will tell you to feck off.

Just kidding! :lol:

Try not to stay too late around the quays as the area is a bit dodge. Even B tells you to head back into town when he sees you hanging around the studio late.

Good luck!

Sam will tell you to feck off.

Just kidding! :lol:

Try not to stay too late around the quays as the area is a bit dodge. Even B tells you to head back into town when he sees you hanging around the studio late.

Good luck!

Per Sam, the band are in the home-stretch with the album so chances of anyone stopping may be diminished.

And stay out of the quays after dark... can be a bit dangerous.

I definately agree with the others :yes:

HQ after dark can be scary, i was lucky had a few guys hanging around so i felt safer.

I hope you get lucky :hug:

Wild, do you remember those travellers who were hanging around and then the police who brought us coffee.. :) great day eh!!!

I was there in early May and didn't think it was so bad after dark, but I live near a big city and wierd types don't scare me...

RB... I would not recommend asking Sam for this. He is unlikely to comply and it might just irritate him. At the moment, they are really at the end stages and they simply do not have time to come out when they arrive. You *might* get lucky around 6, 7, 8... if they are going out somewhere in town and need to leave early. Otherwise, it will be when they leave at the end of the night.... it could be 1am or 2am. If you are waiting on your own DO NOT stay until this time!!!

I was there today (saw your message BTW :)

Everyone arrived... Bono last. He peeped his horn but did not come out, and this is unusual for him. It is not always his choice.... there were MANY people there today, working, being a part of the record. His actions have a bearing on their day and their work, and there is a lot of money (people's wages) riding on how many minutes the guys are outside instead of inside.

You could be lucky, and I hope you are. But don't become one of those people who Sam gets irritated with. Be patient, and you will get your time.

Just my two cents.... mmm... more like 2 dollars tonight! :ohmy:

Hey Carrie, I was there for awhile yesterday as well.. I left early as I was roasting. Now I have a sunburnt HQ nose to match my sunburnt HQ arms :wink: :doh:

Were you one of the ladies standing over against the wall?

I would second what the people above say, don't go down there by yourself late at night, it's changed a lot there but it's still not the best of areas. You may strike lucky if you come down early afternoon and hang on. Good luck!

Raven,

Can't believe you were there yesterday! I was by myself and kind of came and went. That Spar is a great vantage point! :)

I know how disappointed you must be. You have come such a long way and it's hard to go down there when you know they are inside, and deal with the fact that you don't get to talk to them.

Unless you get really lucky and get a meeting with Bono when he is on the way in (the trouble is if he arrives last - which he usually does - everyone else is already waiting for him!) - then you could just go for it after midnight, if you had someone who would wait there with you.

When are you flying back? Are you just with your mum or is there someone else who would be happy to wait like a looney!!! :wink: Sometimes, although a looooooong wait might seem insane, it can pay off, and if I lived in your part of the world, and I had just a few days left in Dublin, I would definitely go for it.

Staying late simply isn't an option, unfortch. My only chance is in the afternoon. *crosses fingers, toes and eyes*

are you miles out of Dublin?

My mate odie a dubliner is there now probably and he'll probably be there tomorrow night.

I could let him know to look out for you?

as long as a few people are there you should be OK.

are you miles out of Dublin?

My mate odie a dubliner is there now probably and he'll probably be there tomorrow night.

I could let him know to look out for you?

as long as a few people are there you should be OK.

No disrepect to anyone (Gibbo I am not casting aspersions on your friend, Odie).... but please Raven, don't arrange to meet anyone down at HQ at night on a recommendation from someone on a forum :ohmy:

I probably didn't need to tell you that... just my caring nature coming out. :)

No disrepect to anyone (Gibbo I am not casting aspersions on your friend, Odie).... but please Raven, don't arrange to meet anyone down at HQ at night on a recommendation from someone on a forum :ohmy:

I probably didn't need to tell you that... just my caring nature coming out. :)

I know what you are saying but a few people from here

electricco.ie | Home have been going regurlarly the last few weeks.

The picture says it all really.

Just trying to help.

Oh I know, Gibbo :) I didn't mean to offend you and I am sure you and your friends are genuine. There are a LOT of really nice people going to HQ and it is great to have company of like-minded people when you are waiting.

You didn't need to defend yourself. I was just meaning my warning as a general rule of thumb. Unless you know for sure about the reputation of someone on here, don't meet them down the quays after dark. A no-brainer really. :)

Oh I know, Gibbo :) I didn't mean to offend you and I am sure you and your friends are genuine. There are a LOT of really nice people going to HQ and it is great to have company of like-minded people when you are waiting.

You didn't need to defend yourself. I was just meaning my warning as a general rule of thumb. Unless you know for sure about the reputation of someone on here, don't meet them down the quays after dark. A no-brainer really. :)

Hey no offence taken.

I'm just glad I stayed overnight this time as the last 2 times were just in the day.

As I met RB last week and she told me she hadn't got any pics or signatures t all, I'd love her to get what she wants,it took me a very long time to feel how I felt last week at getting something out of following the band for so long.

anyway fingers xx'd for her.

Thanks Gibbo :) And thanks for the suggestion as well, but my hands are tied on this one. I promised my Mum that I wouldn't go there after dark and as she and her bf have been so kind in having me over.. I've got to respect that. Even though it can be kind of heart wrenching at times.

I do believe the quote should be

Faraway, so close

or if you've been sitting on that red pylon thingy for a long period of time

I feel Numb :wink:

The way I've been rationalizing it in my mind is, I've seen them all drive into the carport. So not a face to face meeting no, but I've been closer than many folks will ever be. So I have to take that. And I've met Dallas (saw him again today, he gave me another pick.. an Adam one this time :yippie: He was in a very jovial mood too. ) met Daniel Lanois and Steve Lillywhite. Fairly lucky I'd say. Not the big four yet, and even though I go home next week.. I know that eventually my time will come. Gibbo, you give me hope for sure :)

Here's hoping for the best!

RB thats such a positive attitude. :hug: I know how heart breaking it can be to be so close but not meet them having been so close to Bono so many times without having met him. I finally got my chance and you will too. :) Its such a shame that you can't go after 5. Is there no chance that your family will meet you there one night to chance it?

The red plyon thing definately does make you feel numb. :lol:

Aww Dallas gave you another pick, he's such a sweetie. :love:

You are right your time will come, maybe try outside the arena when they're on tour next year if you don't get them before you go home. I really hope someone comes out earlier in the day though, you deserve it. :hug:

Also aswell as meeting Dallas, Daniel and Steve you have got to see HQ before its torn down for the new building. :love::hug:

I know what you are saying but a few people from here

electricco.ie | Home have been going regurlarly the last few weeks.

The picture says it all really.

Just trying to help.

I met some of those people when i was there a few weeks ago. Liffey ( asked me if i was ok as i was shaking from the cold which was sweet. ), the blonde ( Dutch?) girl on the very left of the pic and the irish girl and guy on the right hand side of the pic. All were great and respectful. No pushing and shoving and everyone waited there turn. great crowd to wait with. :)

RB thats such a positive attitude. :hug: I know how heart breaking it can be to be so close but not meet them having been so close to Bono so many times without having met him. I finally got my chance and you will too. :) Its such a shame that you can't go after 5. Is there no chance that your family will meet you there one night to chance it?

Well, at the beginning of the trip they had said that they would wait for me there after if I needed to be there after say seven.. but that slowly faded into a five o'clock and no more. I tried to argue the issue, Monday, after I'd seen them all go in and the weather was great and such.. and well.. let's just say my mother was not pleased. :uhoh: :yikes: :giggle:

The way I've been rationalizing it in my mind is, I've seen them all drive into the carport. So not a face to face meeting no, but I've been closer than many folks will ever be.

Here's hoping for the best!

I told myself exactly the same after my visit in April. I've seen Larry in his car, reversing into the garage, Paul McGuinness and last but not least I saw Sam both times I was outside. Not to shabby I think. How could I possibly be spoiled and think I had been unlucky?

With all of that being said:
Good luck Raven!

I leave in the morning and folks around here have been bending over backwards trying to help me in my quest to meet the lads. Honestly, people are so lovely here. Tomorrow will be a big long travel day home to Canada.. but at least I am not going home empty handed. I didn't meet the lads themselves, but I know eventually that one day I will get my chance.

I'm gonna dream out loud forever ;)

Did ya see anything else in Dublin? I went a few weeks back, and didn't even find HQ (did find Windmill Lane) and figured....go get a pint!

Did ya see anything else in Dublin? I went a few weeks back, and didn't even find HQ (did find Windmill Lane) and figured....go get a pint!

Oh!! You were so close!!
That's funny, when we went to Dublin we took an afternoon to walk over to the famine memorial and then over to look for HQ, I just had a random idea where it was and then as we were walking down the main road by the river, my sister looks down this side street and yells "hey what's that?" It was Windmill Lane!!! I was SOOO happy I found it! It wasn't even our intension to find WL, so that was a bonus for sure! I didn't realize they were so close to each other. Then we found our way to HQ!!! It was a great walk!!
I totally guessed what streets to walk down, I think the U2 spirit/vibe was leading us there. :)
But yes, it is hard to find if you don't know where to go and I would definitely not go alone at night. No way.

Back
Top Bottom