What A Beauty... Cricket Lovers join in! esp. brettig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ishkash

War Child
Hi brettig,
Its good to know that you?re intrigued by this amazing land, on a day the best place on the earth on another the worst place, but only for citizen?s, you needn?t worry much, you?ll find some of the nicest folks around here. As for Cricket, well it?s a game that literally binds the country together, you won?t believe that if India loses many people skip the meals out of frustration. So this means we must be having a lots of thin people. J/k. No its only for crucial matches like Indo- Pak, or where we lose by some minimal margin, like the recent ICC knock out tournament.
But my fave team is Australia, not only cause of the their professionalism but for the flair they posses. You have characters, Warnes and Waughs are legends in my country and by far my fave cricketers. I?m a big fan of Mark Waugh, I haven?t seen a more classy batsmen, so hasn?t my father and my uncle who had the privilege to play in a first class game. Warne, well people regard him as a very good actor, the emotions he brings out after being hit for a 4 are profound, straight from the London School of arts. I love Australian Cricket team and the nation itself, I met a few of your blokes and they?re one of the nicest people I have ever met. Right now I?m seriously planning to come to Australia for post graduation studies, lest hope things fall into places, it also would be my only serious chance to see U2 live, which is one of my top priorities in life. Though I have seen Savage Garden live, and Darren Hayes wants to be Bono that?s for sure.

Turning back to Cricket, I think Australia has a chance this time round, only cause Anil Kumble would be missing in action, but everything would depend on how early you can expose the middle order, ie, get Tendulkar out. If Tendulkar gets out cheaply the Indian team starts to meander and somehow they lose that confidence. Tendulkar as usual would be a key, remember what he did to Warne last time round! BTW people pronounce WARNA in affection, or some call him SHANAY WARNAY just to show the affection, as it sounds very Indian, lol. Lets hope we?ll get some good cricket and unfortunately I?ll be very happy to see my team losing, which I think won?t happen.

BTW as for the time I think you?re five and half hours ahead of us, your day nighters start at 9:30 am local time, so I think we can easily chat about the days play very easily, just have to fix the time and place.

------------------
Even If That Doesn't Ring True.

gday Ishkash- thanks for this post, we must catch up, perhaps during the one day finals?

On India, yeah it is unbelieveable how deeply cricket is woven into the culture- you talked about people not eating out of disappointment, I've read about some doing much worse after a loss to Pakistan, like writing off their TV or even themselves, something I struggle to comprehend. It was great to see the heaving crowds during the '96 world cup, even if they tended to support whoever the aussies were playing against lol (sadly the 1998 series was exclusively on cable, somethig I didn't have then and, alas, still don't now). As far as the series goes, you are right about tendulkar, if they don't get him out the whole team will flourish around him. However there are several key points about Australia that will make them a far tougher opponent than in '98. That tour was a real watershed in our cricket, because it showed how a poor preparation and lack of pre tour rest can make australia vulnerable overseas. That series saw Shane Warne overdone and in desperate need of his eventual shoulder surgery, I'm sure you'll see him tie a few more players in knots this time around. Also, none of McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Miller or even Fleming played in the test series, our attack comprising Warne and the honest toilers Kasprowicz, Dale and Gavin Robertson. Of course, the Indian side was probably at the strongest it has ever been, with only Prasad missing from the lineup and talented veterans like Sidhu, Ahzarrudin, Raju, Srinath and Mongia in place of some of the rookies in the side now. Having said that, India looked pretty good in beating us in Kenya, something most Indian supporters but very few Australians took notice of. Anyways, I do think it will be Australia's toughest test since Muralitharan and the rain conspired to beat us 1 nil in Sri Lanka in '99.

BTW you can email me at brettig@tpg.com.au and we can organise a time to chat.

As far as coming to Australia is concerned, if you can do so by all means, it is a great place particularly for a sportslover! I just had a look at my new University campus today, worked out the best bus route etc. I'm doing a BA in Communications/Journalism. What are you studying?

------------------
"He couldn't quite get his leg over'"- Johnathan Agnew

"Panis' Car is absolutely unique, except for the one behind it, which is identical"- Murray Walker

Yup brettig, Sorry a lot has happened in the last week and I'm a bit pissed y'know, but I'll gain my composure soon and coming back with a pretty long post, hopefully after the game against Zimbabwe.
smile.gif

------------------
In Nature there are no rewards or punishments-- There are consequences. :-(

[This message has been edited by ishkash (edited 02-03-2001).]

What a match that was, Australia made it more exciting that it would've been.Indians here are jumping, they think Aussie bowling can crack..which is very good, you've to beat Indian at the mental game, if you let them think that they can win it! I'm sure they'll end up losing it, Indians crack under presuure and when in control become complacent.Either way I think its advantage Australia, only cause Anil Kumble is missing.What d'you think??

------------------

Well, don't know if you've heard this but Brett Lee is going to be out for 3 to 6 months with damaged elbow ligaments, so I guess that kind of brings the two teams closer. Having said that Gillespie is almost as quick as Lee (up to around the 150km/h mark) and he is a more complete and experienced bowler too. I think India can put some real pressure on Australia with their top order batting, which, under the right conditions, would be one of India's few advantages over Australia. However, if, like in Australia our bowling attack can get into a groove then the conditions may not matter. Of the Indian batsmen I don't think the Aussies rate Dravid as highly as Ganguly and Tendulkar, he has seemed too easy to bog down whenever they have met recently.

BTW What do you think of the Australian Umpires? They have been getting a lot of bad press recently, some of it is justified in my opinion, but I don't think they are any worse than home umpires elsewhere regarding decisions, plus it is usually the neutral umpire who makes most of the mistakes in my experience.

Hi Brittig and Ishkash,
just wondering what you guys think of Salman Khan. I'm not much of a cricket fan, but I'm familiar with it. (Hence, I'm from Pakistan).
Whatever, just trying to be part of the conversation, lol.

Salman Khan!?

The only info I could find is that he is a player for Amrit Education Academy U/16 Team in the Pepsi Youth Tournament 2000-01.

Is this THE Salman Khan you're talking about?

I think the most famous Salman Khan that India has is a movie star, I think he got into limelight when some British mag, named him in their top10 sexiest male or something like that.

------------------

I thought Imran Khan retired and is now into politics. Sorry, the only thing I know abt him is what I got from a bbc interview years ago.

foray

hehe Amna!

Imran Khan was a great cricketer. Along with Hadlee, Botham and Kapil Dev as the best allrounder of the last 30 years. His lifestyle was also very much that of a star. To quote one English journalist- "Like James Bond, Imran has a unique attraction to both sexes. Every man wants to be him and every woman wants to be in bed with him." LMAO

I want to make love to you like a tiger....
biggrin.gif

zoomer, yep Mark Waugh has the goods. He's sucha joy to watch too, when he's in form. I've witnessed some amazing knocks. Actually his fielding is just as great to watch. I'm convinced he has leather magnets in his fingers.

Brettig, can we just do no wrong?!!!!!!

By the way, I had fun in your hometown last weekend.Its so pretty! I also got a shock when we went for a walk down to a park and then I look up and see these giant lights.
"Hey, thats not Adelaide oval is it?" says I.
It is gorgeous!

City of churches, I was very impressed. Freaky though,Im looking in old shops with Bradman memorabilia everywhere and then a day later...
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom