Washington DC - Sept 26-29th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oktobergirl

Refugee
So whos in? Any of the DC people, or Bono's Angels?

Jubilee is having the march on Washington and the Protest for the World Bank/ IMF Sept 25-30th.

I'm planning on flying out for it but would really like to have some company!!

Who's up for it ?

If I weren't going to be in Switzerland at the time, I'd certainly try to come. It's a great idea. Good luck to you all! :)

i might be there....my husband told me he wanted to get involved in one of these things next time it was happening in our area...

(we live in pittsburgh but are from MD and still deny that we live in Pgh...hahaha)

FishNeedsABicycle said:
I live in the DC area, but marches on the World Bank tend to get ugly no matter how peaceful the intentions, so I will not be in attendance.

:(

*velcroes self to Fishy*

FishNeedsABicycle said:
I live in the DC area, but marches on the World Bank tend to get ugly no matter how peaceful the intentions, so I will not be in attendance.

:(

if I told you U2 was doing a benifit concert in conjuction with jubilee would it change your mind? :scratch:

I'll be in Oxford by then. (I know, I know, cry me a river. )

Wish me luck, BTW, guys, I'm going to contact DATA and Jubilee about the Angel's letter writing campaign and try to expand it...go national. :D

:: prays and crosses fingers::

Dizzy-- you're new to me here (forgive me if I'm wrong-- haven't check the board in a bit). Welcome!! and I do hope you'll consider joining Bono's Angels letter writing campaing. Over 50 of us have sent letters/phone calls to Bush or O'Neill or both express our concerns and support for debt relief. Check the link in my sig for more.

SD

SD, there is some type of postcard thing for stopglobalaids.com going on. I'll try to find out more information.

Thought you would want to know...

I'm not going to be able to make it to DC now :sad:

Oh well, all you locals should go and show your support!! It's going to be a great couple of days!!! I know a few people from LA that are going and it sounds really exciting.

I hope we can do something local to show our support here at the very least.

I'm very disappointed that I'm not going but I've no vacation time left for work , and it's during the week.

drat.

So here's the update. Up to 20,000 total protesters have convened on DC this weekend to protest the policies of the IMF and the World Bank.

I was hoping to go, but it couldn't be helped. Unfortunately, it looks like the few bad apples have made for arrests and that is making the news. It angers me that peaceful protests like the jubilee one don't get any news, and the rowdy, anarchist ones do.

Anyway, Jubilee USA is holding a march tomorrow, and
here is the info for any of the locals wanting to participate:

WHAT: Stop Global AIDS and Drop the Debt March
WHERE: Beginning at the US Department of Treasury (15th & G Streets NW) in Washington, DC and finishing at the Sylvan Theater (near the Washington Monument), joining thousands of people at the MGJ rally.

WHEN: Saturday, September 28th at NOON

WHO: Hundreds of people fed up with the effects of IMF/WB policies around AIDS and Debt

WHY: IMF/WB policies are responsible in large part for the persistence of the Global AIDS and Debt crises

oktobergirl said:
WHY: IMF/WB policies are responsible in large part for the persistence of the Global AIDS and Debt crises

As of noon on Friday, over 600 protesters have been arrested, a number that has been steadily rising all morning. It is a shame that the protest organizations devote their efforts to disruption and destruction rather that providing information that supports the statement above.

I agree it is a shame. But you have to remember that there are THOUSANDS of peaceful protests going on in DC this weekend.

People should not stop demonstrating because of a few bad apples.

The latest from AP showed 649 arrested from an estimated 2000 protestors. Seems like more than just a handful of bad apples. Too bad that no one learns the whys of the protests when traffic is stopped and windows are broken.

Actually, I have several friends that are in DC this weekend, and there are about 20,000 demonstrators there.

THere are different events and not everyone is demonstrating all at the same events.

you will see more in the next two days to come, when the bulk of the meetings take place, especially Paul O'Neill's speech.

The Jubilee group is a very peaceful one and I seriously doubt you will see any of their protesters causing this type of disruption.

The people causing a lot of the commotion , breaking glass, throwing rocks, - are not these people.

These are the anti capitalists. They can range from ANTI globalization groups to anarchists - many of the same groups that caused all the ruckus in Seattle a few years back.

:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom