U2 Invasion of Cleveland - Feb. 7th - 9th - Interference.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Interference.com - U2 Invasion of Cleveland
Where: Cleveland, Ohio ? February 7th ? February 9th 2003
Why: U2 Exhibit Opening at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

The Weather
Cleveland is COLD in February. Expect temperatures to be anywhere from 32? to 5? at night with expected snow flurries to heavy snow, and cold winds.
Please make sure to bring warm clothing!

The Gatherings
UPDATE:
SEE BOTTOM OF -THIS- POST FOR UPDATES ON THE FRIDAY NIGHT PARTY!!!!

-Friday Night ? 730pm: dinner, and drinks
-Saturday Afternoon ? 12pm: lunch and drinks
-Saturday Night ? Approx. 9pm: dinner and drinks

The U2 Exhibit Info
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
One Key Plaza
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
(East Ninth Street at Lake Erie)
10 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. daily

Question - Will U2 Be There?
We do not have confirmation of this as of yet. This is a major exhibit and esteemed premiere for the band, and we cannot foresee them missing it - but anything is possible.

Question ? What Is On Display At The Exhibit?
U2 apparel over the years, U2 menswear over the years (including Bono?s Elevation jacket), tour itineraries, hand-written lyrics (?Bad?), architectural stage models for tours, various photos by longtime U2 visual collaborator Anton Corbijn, and much more!

For more information, visit:
http://www.rockhall.com/museum/releases.asp?id=1981

Saturday, February 8th
The exhibit opens at 4:30pm to VIP, general press and photographers with valid passes issued from the Rock Hall.

At 6:30pm, Rock Hall members, their guests, and select ticket-holding members of the public will be allowed in to view the exhibit. During this time, James Henke, Vice President of Exhibitions and Curatorial Affairs, will provide a short lecture about the exhibit, and drinks and light hors d?oeuvres will be provided.

Please make sure to dress appropriately ? cocktail party-type attire. Cameras are not allowed inside the exhibit itself (only inside the lobby).

Sunday, February 9th
The U2 Exhibit officially opens to the general public.

Wednesday, February 12th
(7:15pm-8:45pm) The Rock Hall is giving a special Members Only ?Behind the Exhibit? presentation, featuring Vice President of Exhibitions and Curatorial Affairs, James Henke?s lecture on the genesis of the exhibit. Tickets are $5 for Members, and only one guest is permitted. To reserve a seat, call: 216.515.8427.

Relevant Directions:

To get from the Hard Rock Caf? to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame:
1: Start out going East on W HURON RD toward ONTARIO ST/OH-14/OH-8. 0.16 miles
2: Turn SHARP LEFT onto ONTARIO ST/OH-14/OH-8. 0.23 miles
3: Turn RIGHT onto PUBLIC SQ/US-20 E. 0.05 miles
4: Turn LEFT onto E 2ND ST/US-20 W. 0.05 miles
5: Turn RIGHT onto US-6/US-322/SUPERIOR AVE E. 0.27 miles
6: Turn LEFT onto E 9TH ST. 0.50 miles
Total Estimated Time: 3 minutes
Total Distance: 1.26 miles

--- ADDED Jan 22 ---

Get on THE LIST...
The Guest List that is!
Do NOT pay the full $15 cover charge!

On Feb 7th, Hard Rock Cafe in Cleveland is having a huge U2 fan gathering, tribute band Elevation USA, appetizers, U2 memorabilia, drink specials, lots of U2 music and U2 videos - as well as an Interference.com U2 Giveaway!

NOTE: This party is being put on solely by Hard Rock Cafe, - not atu2 -. I hope this clears up any miscommunication!

Hard Rock Cafe is charging $15 for this event!
BUT...
If you'd like to get the exact same thing, and be on the Interference.com Guest List for this event, we have arranged so that you will only have to pay $10.00! That's a 33% SAVINGS! This offer is ONLY open to Interference.com Premium Members, as a 'THANK YOU' FOR YOUR PATRONAGE TO THIS SITE.

For those of you not currently Premium Members, we are also opening this up to new yearly Premium Memberships.

And... we have one more SPECIAL for non-Premium Members!!! You can get on the guest list for the pre-paid price of only $13! That's $2 off the public-at-the-door price!

Again, this is for the U2 Fan Party at the Hard Rock Cafe, Cleveland, for the night of Feb. 7th, 2003 @ 8pm to close! Band goes on at 10pm. (again, this is $15 at the door without pre-pay/guest list)

INTERFERENCE.COM IS MAKING -NO- PROFIT FROM THIS EVENT.
THERE ARE NO REFUNDS 36HRS PRIOR TO THE EVENT.
SORRY, DUE TO THE TIMELY NATURE OF THIS, WE CAN'T ACCEPT SNAIL MAIL PAYMENTS FOR THIS EVENT.

WE ARE ONLY ACCEPTING PAYMENT VIA PAYPAL - WHICH ACCEPT CHECK, CREDIT CARDS, AND BANK ACCOUNTS.

This offer is for a limited time only. Reserve your spot on the guest list now!

Click Here to signup!

Elvis said:

Please make sure to dress appropriately ? cocktail party-type attire. Cameras are not allowed inside the exhibit itself (only inside the lobby).

Sorry to bug ya Joel - was this somewhere on the RARHOF site? We've been trying to figure out what to wear, and wondering if we really do need to be super dressy (which for us girls = ball-freezing cold. So to speak. :D )

We've heard a rumor that the Hard Rock Cafe is going to charge everyone $15 entrance into the Cafe on both days! Apparently they are doing this in cahoots with atu2. We are aware that many people are not in the position to spend ANOTHER $15+ dollars just to hang out, and watch a tribute band.

More info, and a possible alternate location, to come.. stay tuned...

and, let us know, what do you want to do...

Pay $15 to be at HRC? or go somewhere else for FREE?

Well there's a lot of other cool hangouts in Cleveland that everyone can go to...

ooooh sounds like fun, i'll miss being there...save me some snow and any fun tidbits. hopefully i'll be there in the summer and catch up with some people...

:up: free

I don't mind the $30, its just that I think its crap to take advantage of this situation. Just my opinion. I thought we were all supposed to be fans getting together to celebrate this band and their music---didn't think people would try and capitalize on it.
But, whatever.

Let me think about that for a minute...FREE.
What everyone else has said...I'm nervous anyway about eating after arriving, seeing as my brother is broke and I will be footing the bill, so anyway to save an extra $60 sounds good to me.

Ok folks, here is my thought on the matter. I know for a fact that Linda from Cinnci has been planning a gathering on Friday at the HRC for weeks. Now then, Elevation, was confirmed to play on Saturday, then there was a big enough interest that they were booked again on Friday. I know that Elevation is making a huge sacrifice in terms of pay so they can do this show.
Do we really know who is charging the cover? I know for an absolute fact, 100% sure it has nothing to do with the band.
If it's HRC
1) they are afraid too many people will just show up and not eat/drink so they don't make any money.
2) Once several people started inquiring about a party they realized the potential to make a lot of money based on the amount of interest they recieved.
If it's @u2.com placing the cover
1) They realized that the party they were planning would need some cash and needed to break even. (When U2-Midwest threw a party during the 3rd leg in Chicago, we held a raffle to pay for the expenses and then gave the rest as a tip to the servers).
It's all about money folks, sorry, but it is. Ok, I can understand it's a buisness, so charge a 5 dollar cover but anything over 5 is a ripoff.
In all honesty, if enough people bitch, then the HRC will probably drop the cover and maybe even @u2 if it's theirs. But I'm just mad because getting this many U2 fans together rarely happens, and I'd hate to see it divided between two venues cause someone got greedy. If it does get divided, remember, there are U2 fans under 21 and they probably have less money to spend on a cover charge then the 21+ people.
Thanks
-Tim

Answered my own question.
Hard Rock Cafe is charging a ten dollar cover per person to see the band, Elevation perform. Which sucks because HRC charges so much for their food, if you eat there they are really getting you.
@u2.com is holding a party which costs 15 dollars, but that includes the ten dollar cover to see Elevation. So 5 dollars for the @u2 party.
So I guess it's on HRC with the need for money.
Love All Serve all Charge All?
Thanks
-Tim

WILATW said:
Answered my own question.
Hard Rock Cafe is charging a ten dollar cover per person to see the band, Elevation perform. Which sucks because HRC charges so much for their food, if you eat there they are really getting you.
@u2.com is holding a party which costs 15 dollars, but that includes the ten dollar cover to see Elevation. So 5 dollars for the @u2 party.
So I guess it's on HRC with the need for money.
Love All Serve all Charge All?
Thanks
-Tim

I called HRC... apparently.. you cant step foot in the cafe without paying the $15.

well....i would love to see elevation play...is the cover for both nights? maybe could we meet there once and do something cheap the other night?

UPDATE

This just in from Danno (from Elevation). I had asked him who (atu2?) is putting on the party at HRC with the cover charge... and here is his response:

maybe they are having another party???somewhere else!
All's i do know is we're playing Both nights
at the HRC in Cleveland, Feb 7-8th ..this doc came from the General Mngr of the HRC!
as far as i know the HRC & HOF are the ones putting this on ,
hope that helps!!.......

Cheers,
Danno

SO... until I get the exact details from HRC in the morning... it looks like atu2 is just trying to take the credit for this event. *cough*lame*cough*

Attachments

• u2weekend.doc
    22 KB · Views: 13
StatelessPop said:
Excuse me if this is the wrong thread, but when can U2 exactly qualify for the RRHoF? 2004?

I think so. I looked into it once and basically the rule is that their first year of eligibility for induction falls no earlier than 25 years after the release of their first recorded work. 3 was released in 1979. So yes, the answer is 2004.

Dot.

Elevation is playing both Friday and Saturday at the HRC. They are a decent cover band, the guitarist absolutely rocks (just wait till you hear the play An Cat Dubh). I'll probably call HRC soon to find out if you need to pay the 15 dollar cover to get in the door, because that's kinda shitty considering how much HRC charges for their food and drinks.
Thanks
-Tim

Do you really think U2 will show up??
I don't mind paying the $15.00....It's going to be an awesom weekend!!
-kelly

kellystefanie said:
Do you really think U2 will show up??
I don't mind paying the $15.00....It's going to be an awesom weekend!!
-kelly

U2 will most likely NOT show up at the HRC - that would be a massive problem for the restaurants's security (not to mention the bands!)

HOWEVER, and I do mean however - it has yet to be confirmed/denied that the band will attend the exhibit premiere on Saturday night, Feb 8th.

Would you all be interested in Friday nights HRC party if the price was substantially discounted???

Elvis said:
Would you all be interested in Friday nights HRC party if the price was substantially discounted???

Maybe if I wasn't still confused as to why there's a price in the first place.....

I guess if it's the ONLY option, I'll have to deal. The HRC is nice anyway b/c some of us are not of legal age for other places, but why is there a cover charge?

HelloAngel said:

that would be a massive problem for the restaurants's security (not to mention the bands!)

Really? I don't think they always close clubs down just for U2 do they? I can't see why not, they may just 'show up' unannounced..of course if word got out...Jeez!

They'd have nothing to fear from us, right????

Then again.....those crazy PLEBAns :evil:

G

gabrielvox said:

Really? I don't think they always close clubs down just for U2 do they? I can't see why not, they may just 'show up' unannounced..of course if word got out...Jeez!

They'd have nothing to fear from us, right????

Then again.....those crazy PLEBAns :evil:

G

The HRC isn't getting closed down. This is a fan event.

U2 has never been rumored to show up at the HRC that weekend. I don't see why they would show up. It's nice to romanticise the band just "showing up," but let's be realistic.

The HoF exhibit is a whole other story.

this is my understanding of the evening...

friday nite:
atu2 thing $15 inlcudes elevation show.
With the atu2 thing you get some free finger food and a special room, etc ..
$10 is for elevation show only...
its all ages, if you don't want to do the atu2 thing. i

i think the cover for saturday is $5 and free with a hall of fame ticket...

anyways i hope we can meet in one location as most of us are coming from a long way and it would be nice to meet everyone...

sam

Back
Top Bottom