U2 Conference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgeIsTooSexy

ONE love, blood, life
NEW @U2 FAN ALERT: A CONFERENCE ABOUT U2 IN MAY 2009
August 20, 2008
posted by: m2
For a U2 fan, sitting in the GA line for 10 hours talking with fellow fans about U2 is almost a spiritual experience. Something great happens when U2 fans get together like a big tribe - we debate the band's accomplishments and missteps, and nothing goes un-analyzed.

How'd you like to do something like that for three days? (But without all the sitting outside.)

The first academic conference on U2 is planned for May 13-15, 2009, in New York city. Called U2 - The Hype and The Feedback, the conference will feature presentations and panel discussions on all aspects of U2's career -- their music, their outside work, and their influence. Speakers already committed include Anthony DeCurtis of Rolling Stone and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum Curator Jim Henke, among others. Additional speakers, and the conference agenda, will be announced at a later date.

@U2 is proud to be a Media Partner for this unique event, which is presented by Cedarville University. We invite you to use the link below to learn more, and we'll see you in New York next spring!

So I doubt U2 or anyone associated with them had anything to do with this, hopefully these dates don't coincide with the dates of the New York shows, that would just be shitty timing...

So I doubt U2 or anyone associated with them had anything to do with this, hopefully these dates don't coincide with the dates of the New York shows, that would just be shitty timing...

its a contributing editor from rolling stone who started the whole thing.
yeah i hope it doesnt....or with my exams!

I'm 17 and I can't tell you how many times its feels like I'm the only one my age that listens to them :sad:

If people treat it like an academic conference, it shouldn't be. My fear is that it will turn into a PLEBA convention. I think there could be more serious criticism of U2's work, and it would be nice to see this conference as the first step in that direction, since a lot of bigger conferences will publish a volume of articles originally presented at the conference. The only critical book about U2 I've read so far was U2 & Philosophy, and as I said in the politest way possible in my review of it awhile back, all but about two articles of it was crap.

I'm 17 and I can't tell you how many times its feels like I'm the only one my age that listens to them :sad:

Hey, I know how you feel... I'm 26 and when I was 8, no one my age knew a thing about U2 haha... they just listened to crap and still do ;) haha

Anyhow... just had to chime in on that .

hey rosebud!

Sorry for my delay! I just got back from Sun Studios in Memphis today ;)

Yes I did receive them. Thank you very much...if you need a bootleg, let me know ;)

James.

If people treat it like an academic conference, it shouldn't be. My fear is that it will turn into a PLEBA convention. I think there could be more serious criticism of U2's work, and it would be nice to see this conference as the first step in that direction, since a lot of bigger conferences will publish a volume of articles originally presented at the conference. The only critical book about U2 I've read so far was U2 & Philosophy, and as I said in the politest way possible in my review of it awhile back, all but about two articles of it was crap.

Just curious, but have you read "Race of Angels" by John Waters? If you haven't you should definitely check it out.

Dana

:ohmy: You went to Sun Studios???

*envy*

Glad they worked for you James! Take care!

Yeah...i LOVE it there!!

they've got to correct their tour information though...on the tour, they state U2 recorded only 3 songs there...they actually recorded 5.

Don't worry though, I wasn't a douche about it ;) Haha

James

Hey, I know how you feel... I'm 26 and when I was 8, no one my age knew a thing about U2 haha... they just listened to crap and still do ;) haha

Anyhow... just had to chime in on that .

Yea once in a while its nice to know I'm not the only one :applaud:
but it seems like an interesting thing to go to, and might as well.

I guess there were lots of threads about the old conference which is now a new conference with the same great spirit and lots of amazing papers planned with a wide array of presenters from all over the world.

The conference originally scheduled for last month in NYC has moved to NC this coming October. Advantages over the earlier version: cheaper conference to attend, cheaper hotel rooms, and a U2 show in the area the same weekend.

Read all about the new conference here:
U2 Academic Conference | 2009 | blog ? The Hype and The Feedback is coming to Durham, NC

I'd like to go to this...everybody will think I'm weird though, I'm getting a very "fandom covention-ish" vibe from this thing :|

There is nothing any more wrong with this conference about U2 than there was about the U2 events that used to be held in Canada every Fall ("Into the Heart" events) and the events that preceded the U2 exhibit in 2003 at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame!

This will be three days of films about U2, panel discussions about U2, presentations by those at the top of the music industry who have known U2 through the years of their music career (Anthony de Curtis & Jim Henke), their young days in Dublin (Neil McCormick) and through Bono's activism (Agnes Nyamayarwo).

There will be an exhibit hall with vendors of different non-profits associated with U2 and vendors with merchandise to sell about U2.

There might even be a surprise or two at the Conference.:sexywink:

So, for the prices being considered now for the tix to get in & the influential people in
U2's lives that you get to meet, I think that the U2 Conference is WELL WORTH YOUR TIME. :up:

Back
Top Bottom