U2 Conference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't Bono call into one of those Into The Heart conferences as MacPhisto in 2004?

To my knowledge, scholarly conferences are not the same as fan conventions, but something with some of the best from both of these worlds is not a bad thing.

Anu, the wonderful thing about U2 is that they have been around long enough that the people who started out as their "fans" in the 1980's are now scientists, bankers, college professors, preachers, doctors, teachers, etc -

get the picture? :wink:

So let me get this straight - U2 fans get together for three days to watch movies about U2, listen to speakers who have been around U2 throughout their career, discuss U2's influence in the worlds of music/politics/spirituality and society in general plus have an exhibit hall full of various U2 related items & organizations

with many of them attending U2's performance in the area that Saturday night -and this is a "stuffy" conference full of intellectuals?

Are we talking about the same conference?:hmm:

Hardly.

I hope that fact that another U2 fansite has a major role in this event doesn't keep people from coming to the Conference - that type of pettiness would definitely NOT be in the tradiition of U2.

The entire weekend is good enough just to meet Neil McCormick and hear the stories of 1970's Dublin. :up:

Plus, there's always a rabbit or two hopefully up someone's sleeves.

Anu, I hope that you'll come. :sexywink:

I'd be really interested in checking this out if I lived closer and it weren't right in the middle of all my other U2 travels this fall. I can't spare more vacation days or money for yet another trip this year. :(

I completely understand what you're saying, corianderstem, and there's a lot "behind the scenes" with how the Conference has come about in that area on that weekend that I don't know about

but I do know that the Conference wanted to stay as close to a U2 venue on the NLOTH tour as possible for several reasons & it's hoped as the Summer goes along and as the Conference takes better public shape, that more & more U2 fans will come to the Conference (even if for just a day) so that we can begin the process of defining what importance this music group will hold in history.

Hope that you'll be able to come & join everybody in October. :hug:

Oh, it makes total sense for it to be planned surrounding a tour.

Maybe I'll win the lottery between now and then. ;)

FYI - I did find out that one of our dear editors of Interference will be one of the presenters of papers about U2 at the Conference so that is good news. Hopefully he'll be speaking about this in the future. :up:

Also, I completely understand about the economy because I just lost my job (laid off) at the end of May

but that still won't prevent me from attending several U2 concerts & events this Fall.

Ultimately it simply ends up if you want to do something...or really don't care. If you REALLY want to do something, you'll find the way.

Take good care. :wink:

FYI - I did find out that one of our dear editors of Interference will be one of the presenters of papers about U2 at the Conference so that is good news. Hopefully he'll be speaking about this in the future. :up:

that's cool.....

the people working on it (sped thru posts) from @U2? that's a nice site, I'd recomend them. :)

Also, I completely understand about the economy because I just lost my job (laid off) at the end of May

but that still won't prevent me from attending several U2 concerts & events this Fall.

Ultimately it simply ends up if you want to do something...or really don't care. If you REALLY want to do something, you'll find the way.

Sorry about your job lost - good luck in getting a new one ASAP.

I do wish, tho, that you'd stop presenting attending this as a "black or white" either/or issue.
" if you REALLY want to- you will..... or really don't care " DICHOTOMY.

Sometimes peoples lives are more complicated than that. :|

it'd be fun to go to!

Well, then I guess I really don't care because I don't want to spend more money on a cross-country flight, hotel and food and more vacation days from my job.

Come on, now.

(or rather, what dazzled said!)

That was maybe a little harsh. But the sentiment still stands. Obviously, I've chosen other things to spend my hard-earned dough on this year, whereas yes, I could have chosen this instead. But it's a pretty big leap to say I "don't care" because I made that choice.

Although honestly, the choice was really between live U2 concerts/meeting friends in person and a conference. ... Not too difficult a choice. ;)

It is basic psychology that if someone really wants something to happen then they will set about a course in life to make it happen.

That is not a judgment on anyone here so I don't know why people take simple statements like "if someone really wants something to happen then they will set about a course in life to make it happen"

and then turn it around like it was directed at them! :ohmy:

I can't figure it out....so I won't even try.

I'm unemployed and struggling to make ends meet and I need all the positivity that I can find. Have a good life. :cute:

^ Good to know.

So all those people living in extreme poverty just need to get their asses in gear and set a different course in life? Cool!

:hmm: You should probably tell that to Bono so he can skip the blather about Africa in the upcoming concerts. After all they don't need him (or us, for that matter) -- they just need to try harder! :)

honestly you can do what you want to do and live your life however you want to live your life, but if you're out of work and struggling to make ends meet, yet still going to shell out all sorts of money to get to conferences and concerts and all that, perhaps it's time to reorder your priorities.

just sayin'.

we all love u2, we wouldn't be here otherwise. but there are far more important things out there in the grand scheme of things. i'm going to two local concerts. i'd love to go to vegas, or better yet, ireland, but i can't justify, in these times, paying for u2 tickets over, say, food... rent... bills. yes, i could charge it all and sink myself further into debt, but isn't that how this country got to this point in the first place?

it's not a matter of reeeeeeeeally wanting to do something. it's a matter of reality. i reeeeeeeally want to win the megamillions. perhaps i can set a course in my life towards that.

There is a lot of truth to making things happen for ourselves rather than sitting idle waiting for things to come to us. Everyone's life and lifestyle is different so what we want and get in life is based on our priorities and how we choose to make things happen. Everyone's priorities are different. I am unemployed going to school right now but I've managed to make a trip to Dublin to see U2 happen (a dream of mine) and have tickets to see them in the states as well. Guess I've been lucky. I've re-arranged priorities, saved whatever I could and sold some things to make these things happen for myself. That's how I chose to make it happen.

Oh definitely I believe in being a self-starter, Carek!
Going after stuff/events/circumstances you are interested in/ you want. There are many times in my life I have been able to do that.

But I also believe sometimes luck is involved as you pursue such things. So it sounds like you had a nice batch of that along with your efforts. Good for you. :hyper:

But some times things happen, that "perfect storm" of unexpected, multiple seriously upsetting even, damaging events over a few weeks, a few months that can really, really wreck things up for a person.
It can then take sometimes a long time, and a lot of extra effort to regain, rebalance and re-chart a new life after massive changes in circumstances. The kind, like, that send you tumbling from being a middle-class person to being (not talking destitution here) but poor, and with complicating circumstances that can keep you poorer longer than you thought you would be.

That's why i sometimes bristle at Jamilla's comments -seemingly no room for incredible complications.

just because someone can afford something doesn't mean they should afford something...

if paying for something stretches you thin where if the preverbial "shit happens" after you paid for the item puts you in deep shit, or paying for something sinks you into deeper debt than you can reasonably afford to pay, then you probably shouldn't do it, no matter how much you "want" to do it.

needs > wants

loving u2 is no reason to stretch thin on needs. that's just crazy

Oh definitely I believe in being a self-starter, Carek!
Going after stuff/events/circumstances you are interested in/ you want. There are many times in my life I have been able to do that.

But I also believe sometimes luck is involved as you pursue such things. So it sounds like you had a nice batch of that along with your efforts. Good for you. :hyper:

But some times things happen, that "perfect storm" of unexpected, multiple seriously upsetting even, damaging events over a few weeks, a few months that can really, really wreck things up for a person.
It can then take sometimes a long time, and a lot of extra effort to regain, rebalance and re-chart a new life after massive changes in circumstances. The kind, like, that send you tumbling from being a middle-class person to being (not talking destitution here) but poor, and with complicating circumstances that can keep you poorer longer than you thought you would be.

That's why i sometimes bristle at Jamilla's comments -seemingly no room for incredible complications.

Oh I hear you. I've accepted that I seemingly live beneath Murphy's Law and when least expected crap things do and HAVE happened to me throughout my life. I've always managed to pull myself out of things tho. Lucky, I guess...motivated to do so....sure. I've been unemployed for near 2 years and trust me I know what it is like going from comfort zone/middle class to "poor". I'm working on changing that and it is happening. Meanwhile I've managed to shift priorities and afford a couple cheap tickets to see U2 simply because it means a lot to me. I refuse to completely disassociate myself from doing things that I want to do because I can't afford them. Priorities. If it's important enough, I find a way. Everyone is different in their level of priorities or what they want vs what they can or are willing to afford. In my situation I don't play the credit card game and am lucky I'm not starving or without my basic needs being met.

I don't think it's crazy to stretch thin on some things because I love U2 and choose to buy a ticket to a show this tour. It's just my choice and no one has to agree with that. I afforded 6 shows last tour but I was in a much better place financially; but my love for U2 hasn't changed. My financial or social status won't ever change that.

:wave: carek

sorry fyou have had such a long stretch of unemplyment.:(

My sometimes luck (these past bunch of years and one previous bout during the ZOO-TV era when i was under-employed) with tix is getting tix thru my sib, or a mutual friend....and then I s-l-o-w-l-y pay them back over time.

through bad circumstances for this this mutual friend, they ( this friend and their partner) suddenly couldn't go to see Springsteen so I was one of the 2 people who went in thier place to the Springsteen show just near the end of this May.
So now I have the extra Bruce/E St tix to pay back plus Vertigo Tour package tix still :)reject:) to pay off to my sib.
THEN she bought a Bruce tix for me which she TOTALLY surprised me with for one of the last shows at Gaints Stadium in the fall.
I think she did that because it's very often been us 4 as a core group with other friends of theirs, or mine joining in so that I also became freinds with them over the decades because we spent SO mant times at so many :hyper: R&R concerts together. Particulary The Who (the original full band) , Bruce/E St, and U2.
We've been raving live show R&R'rs together for like about 8 years before we started to hear about U2 back in fall of 1980.
I now have THAT tix PLUS the 1 tix to see U2 at the 1st of the Giants Stadium shows.

SO while slowly paying back all that, I'm also slowly saving up enough so I can try to get as GA place for the 2nd U2/GS show, b/c I've NEVER had ANY LUCK getting GA for U2.:mad::rant:.
I don't think I could do GA flat out in the middle of the hot/humid summer if they return to NYC/NJ which might be for 2010, but I can manage at the very early Fall this year for GA.

I have to go see U2 even if it's only once to hear the new stuff live!:drool::hyper:
Actaully I'll go the second night and stand outside for the show just to be able to hear them again (unless there are really terrifying Thunderstorms, but that time of year that is much rarer) .

.........so! When the conference was originally planned, it was in NYC, was not the same weekend as a U2 show in the same area, and was going to cost too much for me to attend.

I was mildly saddened that Interference did not have the role that atu2 does, but in all honesty, we are trying to be more than just a U2 site with our webzine and do not provide the same coverage the other sites does.

Now that the conference will be in NC in October, not only will I attend and cover it for our webzine, I will present a paper as well. I am bringing a really good friend that U2 shows with me in the eighties as well.

Back
Top Bottom