U2-3D in Los Angeles fan list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
martha said:
Go for it then! :up:

Yay!!! :dance:

Just heard this review on NPR :hyper:

'U2 3D' — Better Than the Real Thing?
by Bob Mondello

In February and March of 2006, the Irish rock band U2 visited Latin America on the final leg of its Vertigo tour. The band played stadium shows before tens of thousands of fans and more than a dozen 3-D camera rigs. The result is U2 3D, a film that opens today on IMAX screens across the nation.

The opening shot, of a stage in a giant stadium, is an image familiar from dozens of concert films. But this scene doesn't look familiar — because hanging in the air, seemingly 10 feet out in front of the screen, is the film's title.

When the band takes the stage, the camera swoops around the stadium, giving the movie audience some real-life vertigo. It flies from the nosebleed seats at Buenos Aires' River Plate Stadium down to a sprawling stage, where it zips behind Bono's microphone, zooms past The Edge on keyboards, circles Adam Clayton's bass and then hovers over drummer Larry Mullen Jr.

A process called 3ality was used for filming U2 3D; it's digital and high-def, using lots of double-camera rigs. You still need glasses to watch it, but they're quite an advance over those flimsy cardboard things with the red-and-green lenses that gave people headaches at House of Wax screenings in the 1950s. These are more like sunglasses, polarized and comfortable. But you'll still be slipping them off to see what's real and what isn't, especially during shots where stadium crowds blend with the movie-theater crowd. At one point I was about to tap the shoulder of the guy in front of me to get him to stop waving his arms in the air — when I realized they weren't his arms. Seriously cool.

Now, this 3-D thing is a gimmick, and at first, the film just plays with it. U2's stage has two curving runways that put Bono out in the middle of the crowd, giving the cameras plenty of depth to exploit. And the filmmakers have fun soaring away from the sky-high Jumbotron that backs the band, poking microphones out into the movie theater and materializing one band member inside another band member via 3-D dissolve.

After the 3-D parameters are established, though, the cameras settle down a bit and let U2 take flight on its own. International anti-hunger appeals and the band members' stands on peace and justice have long given U2 shows a depth that has nothing to do with 3-D. The band delivers a pretty mesmerizing show in U2 3D, complete with IMAX sound and the feeling that you'd barely have to stretch out your arm to high-five Bono from your theater seat. Plus, there's no three-hour parking mess at the end of the show. Better than a rock concert? I'll let you decide on that, but let me tell you, it's close.

How much do you suppose the 3D glasses are going to wind up on eBay for?

kafrun said:

That's what I was wondering :hmm: I mean how do you not?? :shrug:

There was no jumping, you just don't...sitting is best...
everyone sang to themselves, tapped their feet, nodded their heads to the music....If you wanna jump up you better be in the back...or it'll piss people off!!!

martha said:
:hyper:

I probably has no real idea how way bitchin' this is going to be. :hyper:

:yes: I ran over after work to the 5pm showing hoping it hadn't started. I walked in during Vertigo. Absolutely amazing!! My jaw hurt from smiling so big.

The only thing that would have made it better would have been seeing it with friends but I'm just glad I got to go and hoping it's playing for a while so I might go again!

Just returned from seeing two shows today!

:faint:

BTW kaf and C you will be happy to know that kaf is now sitting with me :cute:

But still no kicking our seats C :grumpy:

(Extra seat in row G no longer available.)

bonocomet said:
Just returned from seeing two shows today!

:faint:

BTW kaf and C you will be happy to know that kaf is now sitting with me :cute:

But still no kicking our seats C :grumpy:

(Extra seat in row G no longer available.)
Two shows?! Luckyyyyyy :drool:

OMG, we're sitting together now? Poor Carlos :cute:

ET said:

There was no jumping, you just don't...sitting is best...
everyone sang to themselves, tapped their feet, nodded their heads to the music....If you wanna jump up you better be in the back...or it'll piss people off!!!
Oh don't worry, I'll be starting the mosh pit :rockon:

:wink:

Yes, we were at the 4:30 p show, row J, beneath the projector....BAWsome!!! lots of mild-mannered fans, tapping, some clapping, but no standing, dancing, clapping....even tho' I wish I could have...!

made friends with a couple guys from U2.com Hi, Mark!!! and Mia!!!

redkat said:

I walked in during Vertigo. Absolutely amazing!! My jaw hurt from smiling so big.

I don't think I've stopped smiling yet!!! :D

:hmm:

I think we need to go see this together...soon!!! :hyper:

Saw it last night at 9:30. OMG it was so great! I want to go again. I might take my mom Friday night. What time are you all going? We were clapping and screaming. No standing because I didn't want to block anyone's view.

oktobergirl said:
Saw it last night at 9:30. OMG it was so great! I want to go again. I might take my mom Friday night. What time are you all going? We were clapping and screaming. No standing because I didn't want to block anyone's view.

9:30 at The Bridge, you may want to pre-buy tickets because I think it's selling out.

Here's the latest seating chart.

imax-auditorium-2.jpg

For the "premiere" we sat in Row J Seats 17 and 18...dead-fookin- center...it was a great experience...

Adam's bass hit me countless times! Ouch! :yikes:

There were very few customers in Rows A, B, C...

Thanks to Miringeltje for this info, the San Diego Imax has added shows thru next Wednesday. Question for you guys who have seen it in LA where we are meeting tomorrow. Was the sound good and loud? In San Diego it was LOUD, but perfect, just like being there.

:applaud: thanks

Soooooo did everyone decide if they are wearing U2 shirts on Friday? I will, I'll wear my Slane shirt from renewing at U2 .com :D

:applaud: I was really touched by Adam's bass too.....you can really FEEL it on the floor on his side at the live shows, but having it really come through during the film was even more awesome! There's something magical about the drumming beat of that bass guitar........:drool:

***By the way, its a pay parking structure so make sure you leave yourselves some $1's....most of the street level stalls are marked "2 hour parking" but no one was checking; there are additional floors below...I paid $2 for 4 hours but the weekend rates are higher...FYI...have fun.

Back
Top Bottom