u2-3D Alberta/Sask

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

poppedtart

The Fly
I have called the local Cineplex's and they are not planning on showing u2-3d which is a crying shame...

Winnipeg and Halifax get it, but not Alberta? Unbelievable

If you feel one person can make a difference..

YOU HAVE THE OPTION OF CONTACTING US AS FOLLOWS

By Telephone: Guest Services - 1-800-333-0061 (Option 8)

Cineplex Entertainment LP
Guest Services
1303 Yonge Street
Toronto, Ontario M4T 2Y9

Last edited:
Those angry

Please relpy to this thread, eventually I can lead people to this if enough people are pissed off...

The Latest

Cineplex called me back and claims that they were given short notice and are completely booked throughout December... Thus Cineplex Odeon is refusing to do anything because of their contract obligations.

The only other option is the Telus World of Science, which I have contacted but not heard back from yet.

Re: The Latest

poppedtart said:
Cineplex called me back and claims that they were given short notice and are completely booked throughout December... Thus Cineplex Odeon is refusing to do anything because of their contract obligations.

The only other option is the Telus World of Science, which I have contacted but not heard back from yet.

I called Cineplex at that number and spoke to a woman who told me:
- Cineplex had one copy of the movie and after it's run on one week in Toronto at the scotiabank theatre they returned said copy to National Geographic.
- she gave me the info for the NG distribution office.

After some run around I got the email address of Antionette Montele and I emailed her.
I am awaiting a response and will post it here.
The number I called was for the NG distribution office in Conneticut and Ms. Montele works from that office.
203-661-5678

I was speaking with Rick Lee from Sonic 102.9 yesterday and I am keeping him posted too. Who knows maybe we can bring this film here if we just keep plugging away?

I would have posted sooner, but registering was kind of a pain I must say.

I'm going to post this on ZooPC too, just to open it up to as many as we can...I'd like to get as many Albertans on board as possible.
I'll update ZooPC first:
groups.msn.com/ZooPC/withashout.msnw

Heather

Telus Science Center

Well the guy at Cineplex (Josh) was competely blunt in his approach that they were booked through to December, and that if they risked losing IMAX contracts if they played it for even a week... Yet in Toronto they figured out a way even for a week....

The other thing he said which pissed me off was that even if Geographic was willing to deal, they (Cineplex) wouldn't even listen... Its the venue we have to convince...

We at this point are getting closer I think... If we can just find a place to focus our attention... I think that place is Telus world of science... I have an email for a guy who is operations manager..

If it's a matter of putting pressure, we can totally get Sonic to help us out...

Let me emphasis that I've seen this show 4x already because I'm in Dallas right now and going back to Edmonton next month... BELIEVE ME its worth Fighting for... You may be thinking in the back of your mind "ah well we can't miss what we can't see"... Oh no, I'm telling you... You will miss it, it's the best concert move EVER, you will absolutely NOT be let down no matter how much hype I throw at you... Edmonton MUST get this show!

ramblin rose said:
That's amazing they would have movies booked through December. Doesn't seem plausible.

The guy was a walking roadblock... I guess they just don't like money... To show how backward they are, they are still playing I am Legend Imax edition a their imax... I think this movie is on DVD already isn't it?

Now is the Spiderwick Chronicles... That's got to be worth at least 16 weeks..

Morons

Re: Telus Science Center

poppedtart said:

If it's a matter of putting pressure, we can totally get Sonic to help us out...

I just spoke with Rick Lee and I'm sending him and email at:
Rick@radiosonic.fm

He's going to try to pitch this to his boss and see if Sonic would be a willing sponsor and help us apply pressure on the venue.
If you want to help email Rick and tell him you want to see it and maybe if enough of us get on bosrd they won't be able to ignore our requests.

Still haven't heard back from Ms. Montele and when I called she was out of the office sick.
Maybe we should send her a "get better soon" card from concerned U2 fans...that may help show her we are kind and respectful but also earnest.

Re: Telus Science Center

poppedtart said:
I think that place is Telus world of science... I have an email for a guy who is operations manager..

Howard? He's the VP operations but sadly, he's out of the office on Vacation so I left him a voicemail and asked him to return my call:
780- 452-9100 - Administration
He returns on the 19th...that gives us some time to get Sonic on board.

Fingers crossed!

We can totally make this happen if we stick to it... I also have a friend, Sandra, who is the Journals Concert and Music review girl... She has also inquired with no luck... I am actually coming up with a review for the movie that will be posted on her blog soon to get the stir going as well...

The key is attacking the right spot to make them say yes, so once we get that we can figure out where to apply the pressure...

poppedtart said:
We can totally make this happen if we stick to it...

I agree...Just a quick update from my digging:

Cineplex blames NG and NG states Cineplex just needs to send their copy from TO to Alberta.

I have spoken with both sides today and have told them of the contradiction in an effort to get a correct answer and move things forward. I have given them eachothers contact info so they can talk directly. Cineplex tells me that they have had a huge response and all the requests are being forwarded to their booking department. Please call if you can!

I asked about a private showing, if we have to pay out of pocket:

Just to buy the rights from NG to have a private showing is $6,000 and then we'd have to rent the facility which is cost prohibitive at this time, unless we have a huge response and then I will organize a fundraiser.

I have pitched to many radio stations- my idea is to get the movie here for the week around St. Patrick's day in March. That way it is marketable and we can cross promote.

Still working on it....

Howard at Telus world of Science called: Bad News.

They don't have 3D technology in Edmonton or Calgary. Can't show it here.
I know The Scotiabank theatre IMAX does have 3D. Can someone from Calgary let me know which theatre there has 3D technology??
Keep calling Cineplex please and lodge your request to have it shown.

Howard also stated that The Rolling Stones made a 3D movie a couple of years back that they later changed into a 870 format which Telus could show...if they ever change the format they would be trying to get it here in Alberta.
Sorry for the bad news, I'll keep on Cineplex...

hj

An email I received this morning:

Dear Ms. Wallace,

Your email was forwarded to me by Antonietta as I head up distribution for National Geographic Cinema Ventures.

First off, thank you very much for taking the time to write to us and express your desire to see U23D come to Edmonton. The film has garnered unbelievably outstanding reviews and has already opened very successfully in Vancouver, Winnipeg and Toronto, and, we have actually received a few other emails from your fellow Edmontonians.

Please know that nothing would make us happier then to see the film play in Edmonton. As for why it has not played there yet, please know it is not for lack of trying on our part. Cineplex is a valued and very important customer and we have been talking with them about the film for a while. They like the film very much and have already had a successful first run in their Toronto Imax theater and will be opening it in one of their digital 3D theaters in Ontario this Friday as well. However as a leading multiplex exhibitor they have many films to exhibit and unfortunately, they had made prior commitments for their Imax theater in Edmonton so could not participate in our original launch in late January. As you may know, programming for Imax theaters often sees films open at different times even in the same country. In fact, U23D will not makes it Quebec (Montreal & Quebec City) premiere until April.

However, all is not lost and there remains a possibility that the film will come to Edmonton sometime in March. Our discussions with Cineplex have been positive and at this time, they are looking at their existing programming commitments to see if something can be worked out for Edmonton and/or maybe even Calgary too.

At the end of the day, the decision to take the film rests with Cineplex and we respect this process. Nonetheless, we are talking with them regularly and will continue to try and work something out. Just know that we want to see the film play in Edmonton at some point soon.

As for your interests, please feel free to keep in touch with us and feel free to continue to let your local Cineplex team know too.

We thank you very much,

Mark Katz
f: 203.661.5556

I just got off the phone with Mr. Katz, a kind and lovely man, who told me that unlike the Rolling Stones concert in 2D that was later released in 870 format, U2-3D will not be changed into any other format.
He called...wasn't that nice? He's clearly a huge music fan and states that the response to this movie has been overwhelming and very successful, which bodes well for our mission to get it played here...If Cineplex can mke money maybe they'll cut short the spiderwick run...

Cineplex is supposed to call me before 5 p.m. to day with a response...I will keep you up to date.

Wow that is wonderful progress Heather. I recieved the same answer from the world of science today about their technology. WIth respect to the technology I responded that it would be a good idea to consider buying the projector for an investment in the future. They have great flexibility in what they show, it would just make sense if they can make the numbers work. Nevertheless, you know that's not any sort of quick fox for us...

So I thought I'd write our new focus... Cineplex

After a week of not hearing from Cineplex despite "being forwarded to the appropriate department" via guest services

I sent them a rally the troops email:

It's been over a week now and I have not recieved a response to my inquiry of U2-3D in Alberta.

I assure you that without someone in the corporate office answering in the next 24 hours you will be answering at least 100, if not 1000+ emails on the subject as soon as I rally the fan clubs, radio dj's, and local newspaper columnists around guestservices@cineplex.com.

We are a very sophisticated and organized group that include print and radio media that will rally to get this movie played in Alberta, it's simply a matter of when.

I look forward to your immediate response in this matter.

Let's see if anything happens... I should have asked for a Plane to Halifax too... dam!

edmontonhj said:
, U2-3D will not be changed into any other format.

Believe me, as much as it would still be worth it to see, just to see... You WANT to see this movie in 3D... Trust me on this...

edmontonhj said:
Can someone from Calgary let me know which theatre there has 3D technology??

hj

It would be sad If Us Edmontonians do all the work and have the only showing be in Calgary.. Although it is better than the Alternative of no showing... I see people are looking at the thread but yet no one is weighing in...

edmontonhj said:
Cineplex is supposed to call me before 5 p.m. to day with a response...I will keep you up to date.

Cineplex missed that deadline yesterday so I put another call in.
I should hear a response soon.
Her follow up message was, "as soon as I hear anything I will confirm with you", which seems reasonable.

I have enlisted the troops here to send out emails as well, but I will wait to hear a positive response from Cineplex, before sending the flood.

Thanks!!

poppedtart said:

It would be sad If Us Edmontonians do all the work and have the only showing be in Calgary.. Although it is better than the Alternative of no showing...

Road Trip!!!!! We could all go down together, it would be an adventure...I don't care if it is in Calgary...I will travel there to see it for sure. I'm flexible....

I see people are looking at the thread but yet no one is weighing in...

It's a big long process to join this service, I know because it deterred me from posting initially....
I also update ZooPC and my blog (I can't add the links because I am a new member, sorry email me and I will forward the links) and if someone is not posting here because they don't want to register, please just drop me an email and I will get your message.
hjwallace1@hotmail.com

So I heard back from Cineplex.

Michael McCartney in L.A. told Marie-eve, the lady at client services in TO, prior commitments for the 3D venues in Alberta mean that they would have to break contracts to bring it here to Alberta.

I asked when the first available dates are open and got a run around answer. I will follow up on that.

I asked to talk to Mr. McCartney, no go.
They told me they are keeping the option open. Whatever that means.

Plan B - A private screening.

I have asked Cineplex to quote me a price and a date in March the theatre and all the equipment for 3D can be ready if we were to hold a private screening.
I have asked NGS to quote me for the movie rights as well.

How much do you think we could raise to bring it here?
Ideas?

Please continue to email and phone Cineplex because the more they hear from us the better. Tell them you have a message for Michael McCartney in L.A. and they will forward them.

I'll still keep at this, they can't ignore us forever and eventually they will have an opening for us.

Re: The Latest

poppedtart said:

All of this work just to tell you what you already found out some time ago...that sucks.
I just emailed NG to follow up and see if they would be willing to enter into a contract with Cineplex as soon as a spot opensd up....at least then we know it will come...even if I have to wait, It's not like I can just saunter down to the local video store and get it when it comes out on DVD...you know what I mean?
If it has to be seen on the big screen in 3D then let's get it here in March of 2009...whatever takes.

I am really disappointed.....but I won't let the bastard grind me down...
Hrm..Staring at the Sun really sums it up..LOL!

I got a call yesterday from Mr. Katz at National geographic...nothing confirmed yet but he called me to diplomatically ask me to ask me and my fellow U2 fans to "ease" up on Cineplex. Apparently our message is getting heard loud and clear...Mr. Katz is worried that Cineplex will stop negotiations if we continue to push. I'm not sure what to think. It was an interesting call...because of all the things left unsaid. He asked us to respect the process and to let him negotiate behind the scenes for a bit.
He's very nice and has been honest up to this point so I trust him when he says he needs some space to work on it.
I guess my advice to any fans who wish to send emails...please be pleasant...it's important to be as polite as possible even if we are frustated...Mom always said you catch more flies with honey...

Oh and just between you and me and the fencepost...with advocacy I have learned that when the aim of your campaign calls you back to ask you to "ease up a bit" it only means they are feeling pressure...which is exactly what we want...so I am hesitant to ask any of you to "stop" emailing.
I think Cineplex can see the revenue U2 3D is generating elsewhere and wants to bring it here but has the tricky task of breaking a contract or contracts...and doesn't want too much bad press.

Brace yourselves U2 fans....I'lll keep you posted.

gabrielvox said:
Do you folks have any IMAXs out there? If you're going to put effort into this campaign, I would suggest you focus your efforts on getting it into an IMAX.

Yes, there are 2 theatres that support the IMAX 3D format...
There are more IMAX theatres but they are not equipped for Digital 3D.

It sounds like the Telus World of Science is thinking about an upgrade once they can justify the investment.
Fingers crossed.

'Bout fuckin' time the Maritimes get something and Alberta's left out in the cold.

Ouch! We have such a bad reputation...honestly some of us Albertans aren't so bad (our politicians suck, yes...)
Truthfully, I've begun wondering why I still live in this fricken province.... :scratch:
HJ:heart:

Back
Top Bottom