Thinking about going to Dublin.. Hotels, etc help! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Interference Gatherings
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2002, 05:49 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bono_man:
I was born and lived in Newcastle till I was 7. Spent lots of time there last year when I was over with my rels. You live in a lovely town!!

That's cool

Old 03-29-2002, 05:56 AM   #17
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
Hmmm... well I've been to London before and really it is a blur now, but I think we saw the Westminster Abbey, oh the British Museum of Fine Arts I saw (is that in London? we went all over england) I know I'd LOVE to see that again. I'd have to ask my friend since it's up to her- she's never been to London and I'll go anywhere. Are there hostels (safe ones, obviously) around that area? Through my travel agent I can book a roundtrip flight from Dub to London for $112. We're so pumped, we're pretty sure we will go to England to. ANything you'd recommend? I know we'll be seeing lots of countryside stuff in Ireland so maybe we should stick to city stuff in London? Unless there's something you'd recommend in England.. Sorry, I know I'm being vague - we haven't had a chance yet to look online and see where we'd like to go. Is Madame Tousseaus (spell) in London, too? I remember I saw Les Mis there, in that theatre built for Les Mis.. ah.. Oh I LOVE history stuff too- so that would be exciting. LOL. i know i'm all over the place. Maybe if you could recommend some good things to see both in the city and in the country then we'll decide where we'dl ike to spend our time. I think if we do this we'll do two days there. thanks!!

Yeah all that stuffs in London. Have a look for a Travel Lodge website. I think its www.travellodge.co.uk but I'm not sure. The rooms are no 5* hotel with inclusive 3 course meals and all that but they are clean, have a tv, bathroom and coffee making facilities and they are 39.95 a night for the room not per person and if you are in London you just want a base to go back to to get some sleep not a place to spend all your time in. Just search on the site for London Travel Lodges and there will be maps so you can find out how close they are to everything in the city not that it really matters because the tube will take you anywhere

Hope this helps

Old 04-04-2002, 03:24 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:51 AM
thanks UV! we're gonna look at everything on Friday- bookin tickets on Sat! woohoo!

I have another question about travelling within Ireland... if we wanted to go to the West coast, do you suggest just hopping a bus? or should we go through a tour group?

thx!

------------------
She never really belonged to me

U2 Take Me Higher
Old 04-04-2002, 09:40 AM   #19
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Quote:
!

I have another question about travelling within Ireland... if we wanted to go to the West coast, do you suggest just hopping a bus? or should we go through a tour group?
I would personally recommend just hopping on a bus. It's so easy to get to Galway, the Cliffs or really anywhere on the West Coast. If you are thinking more in terms of The Ring of Kerry, then you may want to consider a car or a tour then, but I myself am not much for tours. Best to travel on your own accord!

Have fun!! When are you two off?

Old 04-04-2002, 10:55 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:51 AM
I'd look into a hop-on-hop-off bus service. I hunted around a bit on the net and here are two that look decent to me. Check em out.
www.straytravel.com
www.shamrockertours.com

Old 04-04-2002, 11:02 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I'd look into a hop-on-hop-off bus service. I hunted around a bit on the net and here are two that look decent to me. Check em out.
www.straytravel.com
www.shamrockertours.com
sula thank you thank you!

angel- thanks! so glad i didn't sign up for a tour.. eh, i had my misgivings about them, too!
we're looking at some time this summer, we have to see when she can get off work!

------------------
She never really belonged to me

U2 Take Me Higher
Old 04-04-2002, 11:59 AM   #22
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Cool!

Bus Eirrann (sp?) treated us pretty good and their rates are reasonable. We were there in August and bought our bus tickets the day we travelled. So I imagine, you needn't pre-plan any of it. The bus station is really close to Temple Bar too, easy 10 minute walk.

God I can't wait to go back... moving there in September!
Old 04-05-2002, 09:47 AM   #23
AM
Refugee

Local Time: 12:51 PM
let me know if you need instructions to find a certain bass players house

BTW - I usually stay at b&bs, they are not quite as expensice as hotels, but youve got a lot more privacy (and security for your stuff) than in hostels. The normal rate is about 50 Irish pounds for a double room (en-suite + breakfast). Let me know and Ill give you some numbers of nice ones

------------------
I'm a bass player. That's a "singer" question. Lord Adam Clayton

"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01
Old 04-05-2002, 07:26 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

hey.. what's the easiest way to get from London to scotland? and cheap?LOL
thanks!!!!
Old 04-06-2002, 04:23 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:51 AM
Quote:
thanks!!!!
I took a train. Sometimes you can get some good deals if you're younger than 26. Check out britrail.com. Bus may be cheaper tho, but it takes longer. I love Scotland! (just had to say that )
Old 04-09-2002, 06:20 AM   #26
War Child

Quote:
thanks UV! we're gonna look at everything on Friday- bookin tickets on Sat! woohoo!

thx!

Whatever you do don't rely on our bus service!!! It's crap and late and....crap! I'd totally recommend renting out a car for the west, you could do the whole cork-kerry-limerick-galway-mayo..donegal if u think u can make it!!! thing in a couple of days!

Old 04-30-2002, 04:03 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

thanks everyone! phew! finally got plane and hostels booked.. i dunno if $$ will allow us to do scotland too but we want to tear up the town in london and take our time carousing ireland..

i really appreciate everyone's suggestions as this is my chance to see whatever I want to see and do whatever I want! If you think of anything else lemme know!

Thanks!!!
Old 05-01-2002, 03:24 AM   #28
The Fly

Hi I would just like to say I have stayed at gogartys and Barnacles and You would be better at gogartys I to was there in August and could not get in at Gogartys so had to go to Barnacles the staff stink I had to move rooms 3 times over the weekend with not much help from the staff. Where when I was at Gogartys the staff will bend over backward for you. Especially when you have had to much drink(hic)
Old 05-01-2002, 03:54 AM   #29
War Child

Local Time: 12:51 AM
Quote:
thanks!!!!
I think at the moment it is cheaper to fly - check out www.go-fly.com or www.ryanair.com other than that it is marginally different in easiness between flying and training.

Old 05-01-2002, 09:54 PM   #30
War Child

Local Time: 06:51 AM
**jezebel jumps in at the last minute**

get yourself a Lonely Planet guide, they cover stuff other travel guides don't.

The hop-on, hop-off buses are great and save your feet.

And don't miss Kilmahain (sp?) Jail and Guiness Brewery, of course.

And have a wonderful time!!!!!