Teenage U2 fans!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It sucks because radio used to be great. It used to be good music.

A song's charting position used to be a good indicator of whether or not it was any good.

Now it means absolutely nothing.

Certainly cooler than they are now, but all in all I dont think they've really been all that with the youth since the 1980s. Slowly faded with the 1990s.

I mean, we have plenty of people to ask here Im sure... but just based on what I've read (I did a documented research paper on U2 over their history).

Unfortunate, that. It would be nice to have a lot of teenagers know what I'm talking about, what I listen to...all that.

That research paper sounds awesome :)

Haha it was for my Survey of Rock and Roll Music class last semester.

Can't say I've ever enjoyed writing a 12 page paper previous to that.

That CLASS sounds awesome! I've considered writing about music for school, but the opportunity has passed, since I'm not in any music classes anymore...

Another ineteresting issue is MTV started from this:

YouTube - U2 MTV commercial 1981

And now is :huh:

I feel the same way. MTV had really gone down the toilet. MTV isn't even music videos anymore, it's all reality series.:|

Part of me hates being a teenager in the current time period we live in. I love the technology we have but music has become complete crap. Rap/Hip Hop dominate the mainstream and Pop music is terrible. I actually like a majority of Alternative music and that's becoming more popular. So there is still hope! U2 is pretty much non-existent to some of my friends. Some of my friends kind of understand me and get my craze for the band. I even have a few that like some of their tunes. Unfortunately the songs they like/know are Streets, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, the ones everyone knows. I wish they were so much more exposed (to U2's music. not like that!:laugh:)!

I often bring up U2 when there is the odd reference to a U2 song/album/item etc. One day my friends asked me if I liked pop (as in the genre. they never said music after "pop"). I responded with "Yeah I like Pop. I think it's a great, very underrated album!" Their faces were like ":huh:" :lol: Since the 90s U2 is pretty much non-existent to teenagers they had no idea what I was talking about.:lol: I just smiled a big grin and went back to what I was doing.

Goodness. I'd forgotten about the reality on MTV and was ready to agree just because most of the music is horrible and the music videos pointless.

Part of me hates being a teenager in the current time period we live in. I love the technology we have but music has become complete crap. Rap/Hip Hop dominate the mainstream and Pop music is terrible. I actually like a majority of Alternative music and that's becoming more popular. So there is still hope! U2 is pretty much non-existent to some of my friends. Some of my friends kind of understand me and get my craze for the band. I even have a few that like some of their tunes. Unfortunately the songs they like/know are Streets, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, the ones everyone knows. I wish they were so much more exposed (to U2's music. not like that!:laugh:)!

Oh god. Mainstream music...is just awful. It's difficult to find a decent radio station. Yeah, alternative's good—just there's a large part of the teenaged population still listening to crap.

And random U2 references are so much fun :D My friend Kim keeps saying things are worthy of A Celebration, and somehow that becomes a song reference. Of course, things get very awkward in my family when, say, I'm rolling out cookie dough and my mom's like 'I'll hold the edge," and I'm like "WHAT?"

Goodness. I'd forgotten about the reality on MTV and was ready to agree just because most of the music is horrible and the music videos pointless.

Oh god. Mainstream music...is just awful. It's difficult to find a decent radio station. Yeah, alternative's good—just there's a large part of the teenaged population still listening to crap.

And random U2 references are so much fun :D My friend Kim keeps saying things are worthy of A Celebration, and somehow that becomes a song reference. Of course, things get very awkward in my family when, say, I'm rolling out cookie dough and my mom's like 'I'll hold the edge," and I'm like "WHAT?"

Yes exactly! :lol: A Celebration, I love that song so much! Haha And Edge references are great! Our car is a Ford Edge and everytime we take it mom is like "Alright we're taking the Edge!" or "we're riding in the Edge!":laugh:

Have you seen the music video for it? :lol: Those red pants are quite stare-worthy...

YouTube - U2 - A Celebration

Good lord o_O That's even more awkward than anything I have ever heard from my mom. Ever. And awesome. Do you ever point out how incredibly wrong that sounds? :D

Have you seen the music video for it? :lol: Those red pants are quite stare-worthy...

YouTube - U2 - A Celebration

Good lord o_O That's even more awkward than anything I have ever heard from my mom. Ever. And awesome. Do you ever point out how incredibly wrong that sounds? :D

Oh goodness! Haha

Yes I do point out the awkwardness. It's odd but funny at the same time. I love being able to say "We're taking the Edge to *location here*!" :lol:

It sucks because radio used to be great. It used to be good music.

A song's charting position used to be a good indicator of whether or not it was any good.

Now it means absolutely nothing.

Australia has a good radio station called 'triple j'
which is you know not THE BEST but like its a good indicator to good music!!

:lol: @ JJJ.

Effortlessly they're better than all the other alternatives, but really it's just a radio station for hipsters who listen to the whole Radiohead discography every day to fit in with other hipsters.

In conclusion, I listen to my iTunes/iPod. :yes:

:up: iPod's a good way to go. Mine is U2 on shuffle...always...:heart:

I keep a good blend of music on my iPod. Always on shuffle among songs.

Just so happens that I have about 900 songs and 200 are U2... so needless to say I get plenty of U2 in the mix :)

And I'll usually next other artists if I demand U2 at that moment.

Australia has a good radio station called 'triple j'
which is you know not THE BEST but like its a good indicator to good music!!

Here in South Florida we've got 2 good radio stations. Well... had. 93.1 used to be the only rock n roll station. Can you believe that? We have no main station for rock n roll anymore as of about a month ago.

Probably the best we have to offer now is 97.9, their tagline is 'the best of the 80s, 90s, and today'. Unfortunately it's mostly today, but it's probably the only station that you'll see U2 get a hit on every few days.

I have about 20 different artists with about 850+ songs. I'm not really the sort who'd get a single song from an artist and then just listen the hell out of it, I prefer to see what else the artist has. Because of that there are usually a handful of albums for each artist.

I cant say I dont do that. There are a ton of artists with 1 or 2 songs on my iPod. Probably also a good 20 or so though that have over 10 songs (U2, RHCP, The Who, Weezer, Tears For Fears, The Temper Trap, Snow Patrol, Simple Minds, Rolling Stones, Ramones, REM, The Police, Oasis, OAR, Muse, The Killers, Hot Hot Heat, Interpol, Coldplay, Chiddy Bang, Springsteen, Blink 182, The Beatles, All American Rejects)

But what I do is that I find that one song, listen to it for a while, and then I'll go view the discography of the artist and spend some time with each artist... see if I like the rest of it or not.

But what I do is that I find that one song, listen to it for a while, and then I'll go view the discography of the artist and spend some time with each artist... see if I like the rest of it or not.

Oh yes, I think that's what you'd call an example of a true music fan. :D As opposed to casual music listeners who rarely have more than a couple of songs per artist.

Music is just like, among other things, fine foods... or beer. Acquired tastes. Some of the best music requires you listen to it a few times to enjoy it most.

:lol: @ JJJ.

Effortlessly they're better than all the other alternatives, but really it's just a radio station for hipsters who listen to the whole Radiohead discography every day to fit in with other hipsters.

In conclusion, I listen to my iTunes/iPod. :yes:

that all i was saying that its better than anything else :ohmy:
:lol: at the radiohead comment. all they do is play new music that isnt getting thrashed by the mainstream channels

i never listen to radio

ipod is the way to go :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom