SAN FRANMOFO'S ZOO STATION goes POPMART for HALLOWEEN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skott100

Acrobat
Saturday, Poptober 27th
The Rockit Room
406 Clement, San Francisco
Tickets at www.rock-it-room.com

Wake up dead men and women! It's U2 at its scariest!

What better way to celebrate Halloween in SF than to hit the Rock-It Room and recreate the Mexico City POPMART show? Lemons, Fu Manchu mustaches, muscleman shirts and other questionable fashion choices, video backdrop... it'll all be there! And we won't be the only ones wearing silly clothing because there's a costume contest too.

Get there by car, muni, or lemon spaceship... JUST GET THERE. Rock Steady - A Tribute to No Doubt are supporting and SPINOUT are opening the show with the music of Elvis.

More info at zoostation-online.com

Attachments

• halloween07-show.jpg
    halloween07-show.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 108
The show is on Saturday, October 27th.
Not Halloween night.

Besides, there isn't going to be a Halloween Party in the Castro this year. At least that's what city authority hopes to get across to everyone. (although most think people will show up regardless). Last year's party had to be closed down really early, because 9 people got shot. If you know how many people are on the street that night, you can imagine what happened as soon as they heard gunfire! Last time I went (a couple years ago), a few people got stabbed. I like to people watch and all, but when it gets so crowded you can't move an inch, then I'd rather spend my time elsewhere.

Yeah I sadly stopped going years ago when the ratio of people dressing up to gawkers in street clothes flipped. I guess a few years later the violent thugs came into the mix for the annual shootings and stabbings. It's a shame that things got so out of control and awful.

One year I went dressed as The Terminator (no... I don't know what I was thinking either maybe I just wanted a plastic machine gun or something) which was all well and good but it slowly dawned on me that walking around the Castro wearing leather was perhaps sending mixed messages. File under "live and learn" I suppose. But I didn't have to pay for a drink the whole night so who's laughing now?

Sad how times change. Oh well, I still have the bizarre photos, and the memories of almost peeing my pants waiting in line for a porta-pottie! Good Times...

RedrocksU2 said:
Dammit, I wanna go.

:hug:

skott100 said:
gawkers in street clothes

Guilty of that as well.

:reject:

I made up for it the next year though, when I tried to re-create this look :

alias1x22_capsby_dreamer1104_487.jpg

You know what I'm talking about, Carlos! :wink:

I didn't want to stuff my hair in a wig and ended up spraying 2 of these cans in my hair :

00171041.detail.a.jpg

And colored my bathroom in the process.
Which took me longer to clean than to wash the blue out of my hair.

skott100 said:
It's a shame that things got so out of control and awful.

zuropa_fit said:
Sad how times change.

Yeah, it sure is.
And yet I wonder whether "it"getting out of control was inevitable (over time) or preventable (with action taken earlier on or organizing things differently)?

zuropa_fit said:
Oh well, I still have the bizarre photos

Yep, got a couple of those as well.

skott100 said:
it slowly dawned on me that walking around the Castro wearing leather was .... But I didn't have to pay for a drink the whole night so who's laughing now?

I'm sorry, but I am still :lol: !
Are you sure it were all guys buying you the drinks though?
Cause I'm pretty certain there are enough woman who think men in leather are :combust:.
(One look in PLEBA)

Any way, to get back on topic, at least now you already know what to wear.

No-one else lurking out there planning to come?

Last edited:
I moved here a couple of years ago myself.
From the Netherlands.

Perhaps I should dress up as a Dutchie
At least, what we wear when we support the national soccer team.
Lots of orange.
Which fits nicely with Halloween.

mirrorballin said:
I am trying to come up with a mirror ball outfit: so far I've got a sparkly dress and sparkly shoes. Hoping to make my hair rather round and sparkly as well:hmm:

That's great!
:up:

As for your hair, you could buy one (or two) of those cheap glittery hair wig thingies (at a party store or sometimes dollar stores have them) and you can cut it into shape, if necesarry.
It'll look something like this :

shiny.jpg

shiny2.jpg

Last edited:
Just got home from the show.
Sure was fun.
But I think I drank too much soda.
And now I can't sleep.
Either that or I'm a big :nerd:
:uhoh: That's pretty bad.
O well, at least I'm not the only one who was at the show who's online right now : giggle : : wink : Sorry : hug :
Better head to bed.
More later.

Last edited:
Let's go!
Discotheque!
Boomcha! Boomcha!

The show was awesome!
:up: :applaud: and :bow: to all the effort that was put into it.
Everything looked (band costumes, yellow arch, lemon, olive?, video show) and sounded great.

For those of you, who are expecting to see some pics.
Sorry, I don't have any.
But there were camera's around.
So who knows, what'll show up online somewhere.

With the help from the setlists from the Mexico City Pop Mart tour, I'd say this is what was played:

Mofo, I Will Follow, Gone, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Last Night On Earth, Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day, Pride, I Still Haven't Found, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, Please, Where the Streets Have No Name, Discotheque, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, Mysterious Ways

A few Popmart DVD's were also thrown into the crowd by the band.
Really :cool:

I always love to dance along to the music.
Yesterday, apparently much to the annoyance of a male-female couple that were standing behind me.
As I was told to "watch my arms" by the guy.
:uhoh:
Yeah, I tend to fling them around a lot, while I'm dancing.
God only knows, how many others out there think I'm a dancing lunatic.
LOL
Perhaps it might be wise to tone it down a bit next time.
Not that it would have mattered if I had danced any differently I think, because whatever I would have done, would probably have pissed them off.
Well, the woman ended up emptying her beer bottle over me.
What a waste! She'd have been better off drinking it. Perhaps she would have had more fun then. Or maybe she already had too much to drink.
I'm like :WTF!
"Oops, sorry! That's what you get for bumping into me."
Ooooh please :roll of the eyes:, what a bunch of CRAP!
It was plain obvious she did it on purpose.
I didn't even touch her.
But like I'm stupid alright.
Of course her intention was to get me to move somewhere else.
Which I guess was just too hard to asked in a normal manner.
Not like doing that, got it accomplished.
Oh boy, what's not to love about the childish behaviour of adults on a night out.

Although after a while, my friend and I moved to the bar for drinks and sat down for a bit.
I sure didn't mind having more room around me.
Well, low and behold, another girl shows up at the bar, who got drinks poored over her as well.
I bet you anything : it was the same person.

On a totally other note, the evening was also kinda bittersweet.
I always go to the Zoo-shows with one of my best friends here.
And this might very well have been her last.
Because she's moving back home some time in the next couple of months.
Not entirely clear when.
But it just won't be the same without her.

On our drive home, we were talking about the show and the songs that were played for a bit and we both concluded that the highlight was one of the quieter moments of the night : Sunday, Bloody Sunday, which was beautifully played and sung.
It almost had her in tears.

Anyway, I was thinking of perhaps buying her one of the Zoo-shirts as a going away present and a reminder of the fun times we've had together, while she was here in Cali.

It was good to see you, Lori!
And I liked your shirt.
What was the site to buy them from again?

Did you make it out to the show, mirrorballin?

Last edited:
Hey Miri - As always it was good seeing you. I had no idea some idiot spilled their beverage on you! Some people . . . I didn't know that Wendy was moving away. You can always go to a show with me!

I swear that I checked this forum sometime in the past week - how could I have missed chatting with all of you? I think I must have been too crazy busy. Things have slowed down to a more manageable pace.

I like my new shirt too :cool: It was fun being a shirt model!

I got it from:

http://www.cafepress.com/zoostation/

Yes, the show was awesome! Nice job on the drumming Skott!!!

Miringeltje said:

On our drive home, we were talking about the show and the songs that were played for a bit and we both concluded that the highlight was one of the quieter moments of the night : Sunday, Bloody Sunday, which was beautifully played and sung.
It almost had her in tears.

i was worried my singing would make someone cry :wink:

seriously, thanks for coming out...we had a fun time, and it was a good crowd.

california_mike said:

i was worried my singing would make someone cry :wink:

Aww, Mike your singing was SO good. I remember you telling me once that you couldn't sing. Now, I know differently . . . please sing some more!

-Lori

Miringeltje said:
Did you make it out to the show, mirrorballin?

I did, thanks! :wave: It was so much fun!

The band was awesome. I must say the singer is great-I especially loved the wondering amongst the crowd-ala- :bono: !

Not sure if the mirrorball motife came thru in my costume tho. I was the verrrry tall girl with the verrrry big sparkly hair. I didn't purchase a wig since I have naturally curly hair and it's easy to make it SUPER big so I emptied a can of sparkles into it.

So sorry to hear you had drama. I noticed the crowd got a little rowdy as the night progressed which is why I hung towards the back-the one perk to being in platform hooker boots: always a good view of the stage:sexywink:

I am so down to see Zoo Station again!

What a weekend it has been!
I went to another party on Sunday evening where a Dutch DJ was playing.
(Hahaha, you'd think I'm really nationalistic)
I feel like I'm still recovering....

hotpepper said:
I had no idea some idiot spilled their beverage on you! Some people . . .

Either get a kick out of getting into arguments.
Just get in a bad mood when they have had too much to drink.
Or perhaps this was the female's way of trying to make an impression on her guy. :shrug:

hotpepper said:
I didn't know that Wendy was moving away.

Kinda unforeseen circumstances :(
I'm moving as well, by the way.
But within the Bay Area.

hotpepper said:
You can always go to a show with me!

:up:

hotpepper said:
I swear that I checked this forum sometime in the past week - how could I have missed chatting with all of you? I think I must have been too crazy busy. Things have slowed down to a more manageable pace.

Glad to hear things have slowed down.
Being too crazy busy for too long ain't good for you.

hotpepper said:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Carek1230 said:
WE WANT PICS!!!

Maybe the band has some :shrug:

hotpepper said:

Aww, Mike your singing was SO good. I remember you telling me once that you couldn't sing. Now, I know differently . . . please sing some more!

-Lori

There's something to be said about being humble and modest.

It's really too bad that you were sick, when Zoostation played at Slim's, Lori.
They performed "Numb" that night.

Who knows, maybe Van Diemens Land next?

:hmm: Now I think about it, I've seen every bandmember sing a song (Adamesque does an excellent Party Girl :up: ) except one.
Perhaps it's time for some "Dirty Old Town".

mirrorballin said:
I did, thanks! :wave: It was so much fun!

The band was awesome. I must say the singer is great-I especially loved the wondering amongst the crowd-ala- :bono: !

Not sure if the mirrorball motife came thru in my costume tho. I was the verrrry tall girl with the verrrry big sparkly hair. I didn't purchase a wig since I have naturally curly hair and it's easy to make it SUPER big so I emptied a can of sparkles into it.

So sorry to hear you had drama. I noticed the crowd got a little rowdy as the night progressed which is why I hung towards the back-the one perk to being in platform hooker boots: always a good view of the stage:sexywink:

I am so down to see Zoo Station again!

Woohoo!
I'm happy to hear you had a good time.
I feel bad now though for not paying more attention to my surroundings and missing the opportunity to say "hello" to you in person.
Hopefully next time.

Last edited:
mirrorballin said:
Not sure if the mirrorball motife came thru in my costume tho.

Came across this pic, while browsing around on the web and couldn't help but :)
Just thought I'd show you, mirrorballin.

1817576693_c9ba883abc_o.jpg

Last edited:
hotpepper said:
Thanks for the link to the photos Skott. Cool!

Yeah, thanks for sharing!
Great pics.
The person that took them must have been standing pretty close to the stage.

Oh, and I hope you know I was teasing when I posted this :

Miringeltje said:
:hmm: Now I think about it, I've seen every bandmember sing a song (Adamesque does an excellent Party Girl :up: ) except one.
Perhaps it's time for some "Dirty Old Town".

Just noticed I forgot to put a ;) at the end there.

hotpepper said:
Those vampire guys were taking pictures. I wonder where those are???

Uh....:shifty:

Let's just say that sometimes it's a good thing that not all pics that are taken and stored on hard drives end up online!
LOL

Back
Top Bottom