San Francisco fans? I'm planning to visit SF...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UV_U2

The Fly
... and I would love to meet up with some of you! Would be better than walking around a big city alone and doing the touristy things alone!

Hope to see you there! Oh yeah, I'm thinking of late September/early October. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ani

I had a sort of love/hate thing with SF when I was there... we did a lot of great things but I didn't like the city itself so much. But that probably had more to do with me than SF.

Alcatraz is cool. Fisherman's Wharf was probably my favourite part, there's just so much going on in that whole area. Their trams are kind of cool. Amoeba Music on Haight St is fantastic if you want to buy some music. Union Square (I think that's what it's called?) also has a lot going on.

Depends on what your likes & dislikes are, how adventurous you are and how much time you have. There's so much to do and see in SF. Sept/Oct is a good time of year to visit too. Tons of great places to eat, lots of entertainment especially in the tourist areas like Golden Gate Park, Fishermans Wharf, Pier 39, Union Square, Ghirardelli Square.....walk across the GG Bridge, ride the cable cars, Lombard Street, Chinatown, North Beach, find out & visit all 7 hills in SF, SF zoo, beaches, parks, see the sculpture where Bono did his infamous Stop the Traffic graffiti years ago....America's Cup is in SF this fall, the Italian festival is usually in Oct, defo do the Alcatraz tour or picnic on Angel Island. Go across to Sausalito, ride BART or the train to east or south bay areas. Along the piers and waterfront you can rent bikes, Sedgeways or skates. The city is beautiful at night from many vantage points especially from out in the Bay (a dinner or Bay cruise is fun but the water can be choppy and it can be cold out there- or foggy!) Home of the SF Giants who play at AT&T Park or the SF 49ers playing football at Candlestick Park. I think Fleet Week is usually around Oct time frame and that's cool to see all the ships come in & out from the Pacific under the GG Bridge & some ships you can tour while they are docked.

There's just a handful of ideas. Be prepared for any kind of weather though while in SF and wear comfy shoes cuz walking some of those hills can be brutal!!

Have fun. Don't leave your :heart: in SF!!

Thank you guys for your recommendations! I always thought SF was fascinating to me, I just hope it'll live up to my imagination. I can't deny that I also love it cos of Sweet November (the movie).. I know, I knoooowww..LOL:cute:

I usually travel alone and i'm loving the fact that I can do what I want and when I want... but it does get a bit sad when I see everybody with their friends and family and I am alone yet again. that's why I thought that maybe I'd hook up with some U2 fans for a wee bit, here and there...

It's kind of cool to travel alone, I've done it but like everything & you even said, it has it's pros and cons. I live in San Diego otherwise I'd be game to meet up with another U2 I.e. Interference mate. I grew up in the Bay Area & my mom is still there. I visit frequently & consider moving back sometimes......I spent much of my youth traipsing all over SF in the late 60's and early 70's. My best friend lived there on the 19th floor near the Ferry Bldg. I'd never let my kids do now in that City what we did then!! Great memories of a crazy beautiful city. I hope you make the trip & have a blast. Let us know!

I live north of SF. I'm late to this thread, but wanted to give this area a push.

I've lived in the Chicago area and Boston area. Both are beautiful and I adore New England. I hope to return there some day (when the economy actually has jobs).

For now, though, I live in the Bay area and have for 5.5 years. I had family recently visit in June. We spent a week doing events. I told them that they could come back again and I could take them on a whole new set of adventures and not repeat one thing (or if we did revisit an area, it would have different sites to see).

The extended Bay area has all sorts of fun things to do - all depends on your budget and time. These range from wine tasting (some places are even free!), hot air balooning, plays/musicals, Fisherman's Wharf, boat rides, Angel Island, Alcatraz, visiting the giant Redwood trees (you can drive through some!), Winchester Mansion, Mystery Spot, Charles Schulz Museum, Lagunitas Brewery (some of the best beers I've ever had - and they give free tours with free beer!), dozens of restaurants along the ocean/bay or various rivers, beaches, amusement parks, etc., etc.

Plus, from June through September, it pretty much never rains (some exceptions) allowing for a lot of outdoor events. Many BBQ's, sun, tanning, swimming, etc.

If I were wealthy, I'd "summer" every year here, then go to New England for the fall and early winter. :)

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed your visit and will come again. :wave:

Back
Top Bottom