Russian/Irish U2ers - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Interference Gatherings
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2000, 09:05 PM   #76
The Fly

Local Time: 02:38 PM
I understand, Mermaid. If I could call myself a "Kiwi" I wouldn't want to change it either How cool is that? The best I can manage is "Yankee". Nope, not as cool as "Kiwi"

I would also like Irish or European citizenship but only if I could keep my American citizenship. I like knowing that the "Big Dog" is looking out for me even if I have to call myself a Yank for it to be that way. That high-tech and obscenely expensive armed force is good for one thing, evacuating Americans efficiently if ever things get hairy in my travels.

------------------
There is but one flag...

Old 09-22-2000, 04:39 PM   #77
Acrobat

Whiteflag,really,NOTHING compares to Boxing Bono !!!
I heard that the Irish people often say not
"Yankee" but "Yank",is that true and which
one do you like better,Whiteflag ?
And you must learn to sing Ukranian traditional songs because they are lovely.

Mermaid,are you still into witchcraft and did you find anything so exciting as to put
it into practice ? (I'm kidding actually and
I hope there're no Great Inquisitors among the members of this thread !)
My friend's work is based mainly on Russian material,partly Finnish.
And I,too,love "Kiwi" and I always wondered
where it came from,is it because of the nice
bird or something else ?

Do svidanya,or ka kite ano,or slan !

Old 10-03-2000, 10:42 AM   #78
The Fly

Hey! Does anyone check this post anymore besides me?????

Where did everyone go?

------------------
There is but one flag...

And please support Amnesty International's Campaign Against Torture by clicking here stoptorture.com
Old 10-03-2000, 10:45 AM   #79
The Fly

To answer your question Aine, I like being called a Yank. Sounds tougher. Its got more attitude

------------------
There is but one flag...

And please support Amnesty International's Campaign Against Torture by clicking here stoptorture.com
Old 10-04-2000, 02:41 AM   #80
Acrobat

These are really good news,Whiteflag,my congratulations as I'm sure you've already
stepped on the green grass of the Blessed
country.Wish you the best of luck !
Old 10-04-2000, 09:49 AM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:38 AM
I was wondering that myself, whiteflag...
I got my dad to dust off his slides from his trip to the USSR waaaaay back in 1969... he traveled from the eastern end (next to Japan), right across on the Siberian railway (except he had to fly a bit of it around a lake where troops were gathering cos of a border dispute with China or something) to Moscow and then Leningrad/St. Petersburg... there are some truly awesome buildings there! So that's where the people's money went... Stalin's wedding cakes, some of them are called, I think... And everything was so CLEAN... no litter anywhere to be seen! Not like the public places here (in Australia)...
Guess where I want to go now...
Old 10-16-2000, 05:17 PM   #82
Acrobat

Ireland,I'm hopelessly in love with you !
Old 12-27-2000, 08:50 PM   #83
War Child

It would seem that we have let this great thread die on us!! How could this happen??!!
Well, I guess we're all busy and doing other things...
To be honest I'm nearly exhausted by just reading all the posts that the rest of the forum gets now, must be getting old! Oh for the days when you could read everything in five minutes and have time to write reams of stuff... Well, not really actually. I still love this place! It's so vibrant now with so many characters and so much happening that you need to check in about 5 times a day just to keep in touch. How did we get so big???
At the moment I'm still studying in Dundee, working way too hard for my liking! I'm doing Architecture and it is so time consuming and exhausting that I hardly have time for anything else... Now I'm on holiday here at home in lovely Dungannon, but it'll soon be back to the grind!
So how are all the old folks???! Whiteflag and Aine and Zoomerang II and Alisaura and Mazz and I think Mermaid even popped in once!! I hope you are all well and have had a great christmas.
I havn't really been around since ATYCLB came out so I don't even know what your opinions on it are... I love it so much that I am having difficulty in listening to anything else at the moment! But there is one album out at the moment that I really like which Aine might be interested in! It's called "The Diamond Mountain Sessions" and it's by "Sharon Shannon and Friends". It is so good, a real variety of stuff from straight ahead irish Trad to Cajun to Galician to Blues... Such a variety! It'd be worth seeking out!
I hope you are all coming to Slane this year because it will be the Concert to end all concerts, you can guarantee it!!! Hopefully I'll be living in Dublin at the time so you may even have a place to stay! By the way, Whiteflag... are you still in Dublin or when did you return home? It's just I was over for a few days around Halloween and I was just thinking that you could have been anywhere. I might even have seen you! Oh well. There'll be other times I suppose!
So, hopefully this will mark the resurrection of this old topic and I can't wait to hear from you all!
Slan go foill!
BRIAN
Old 12-30-2000, 11:49 AM   #84
The Fly

I can't believe it. This thread lives again and MrBTH is back! Great to hear from you again, Brian. And to think if it hadn't been for AM asking me to check Discotheque (she is sitting here beside me) I would never have known of your reply. I stopped checking awhile ago.

Yes, I'm still in Dublin and every time I think that this city is just too exasperating to live in anymore something happens to make me fall in love with it even more Two days ago I was walking thru a heavy snow through nearly deserted streets in the area around O'Connell Bridge and I don't think I have ever been so in love with a city The bridges, the river, the snow...it was so beautiful.

I'll be checking back here soon so if anyone else should pop in, by all means post away!
Old 12-30-2000, 04:56 PM   #85
Acrobat

Dear Brian and Whiteflag,
Thanks for reviving this thread.
When you happen to look through Interference
and suddenly find out the lovely people're
back in here - well,what can I say? -"it feels like it's a Beautiful Day".
See you next millennium - and you're always welcome in Russia!
Peace!

AINE
Old 12-30-2000, 08:49 PM   #86
War Child

Well it sure is good to hear from you guys!
Whiteflag, you are right about Dublin. It really does my head in sometimes, it's so busy now, people can be so rude and ignorant, beer costs way too much , and yet I still love it to bits. I remember once I went to Dublin with a few friends. I dragged them around every architectural site in the city, ranting and raving about my opinions on this and that and what should be done and what shouldn't. They still make fun of me for that! But it is a place you can get passionate about, not only architecturally, but in general...
And I know what you mean about the snow too. I think the conditions I'm experienceing up here in Northern Ireland are a bit more like what Aine would be used to in St. Petersburg. We have been snowed in, engulfed in freezing fog and generally been made to feel VERY cold! Today we managed to make it to my Grandmother's house. She lives right out in the countryside, where some roads are still impassable. I went for a walk around the roads without seeing a single car. The snow was crunching underfoot and I was taking some pictures of the beautiful sights I was seeing. Huge icicles the likes of which I have never seen, the canal almost totally frozen over, with boats caught in the ice, and the sheer beauty of "a world in white". I had never seen conditions like this in my whole life, although it had, apparently, been just as bad back in 1982, when I was just two years old.
I'm going to Belfast tomorrow (if I make it through the forecast blizzards!), to a party at my friends house to see in the new year. It's strange being at home this year because I constantly seem to be running into old friends. I am terrible at keeping in touch with people, never calling or writing (asyou well know) and I feel so bad about it all the time. I am making it my resolution this year to keep in touch with ALL of my friends. To stop using the old (though still valid!) excuse of being so busy that I have time for nothing else. And also to get back into contact with true friends that I feel I have let fall by the wayside this past few months. I have been too busy trying to make new friends in Dundee since my old ones have all scattered. I was forced, by illness, to drop back a year on my course and I have had, in effect, a new beginning. A pretty successful one too. I love my new flatmates - I have been very lucky in that respect - and the new class I have entered have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome. But I feel so bad about losing touch with just about everyone from the last few years... I must take action or I could lose them forever.

Sorry folks for blathering on. Sometimes it helps me to just write out my feelings and it helps to clear them up for me. Looks like you are the unwitting victims this time! However, it goes for you too. I'm sorry that I just disappeared for so long. I'm sorry for not replying to e-mails and greetings... I can't just keep taking other people for granted.

So I resolve that all this is going to change. That and the resolution to lose the (at least!) two stone weight I have put on through eating my mother's cooking over Christmas!

HAVE A HAPPY AND PEACEFUL NEW YEAR (since I won't be around tomorrow)
BRIAN

Old 01-01-2001, 02:32 PM   #87
War Child

Local Time: 01:38 AM
hi guys..sorry it took me another year to get in touch!
It's really great to read this again - it just puts a grin on my face and I don't know why. Anyway, I will fill you in on my dross at some point as for now I am enjoying the winter wonderland that is england. I am more than keen for a slane hook up at some point though.

I hope you all had a lovely christmas - and that we may meet in 2001 over a pint of Guiness, or kvas (well, maybe not) or at one of the concerts. Perhaps all three?

happy new year, michael

Old 01-03-2001, 04:09 PM   #88
The Fly

Happy New Year to you been a while since I last popped in but how are you all Hope you are all looking forward to the up comming tour. I heard they would play at Slane Castle in Aug any idea how far from Dublin it is. I am going to Dublin In Feb I hope to check it out then but if anyone knows it would help
love to you all Mazz
Old 01-03-2001, 06:51 PM   #89
War Child

Hi Mazz and Michael!
Slane is about 30 miles from Dublin and is along the main Dublin to Derry road, the N2. It's actually in a really beautiful area with lots of Prehistoric monuments quite nearby like Newgrange, which is much older than the pyramids... So I'd say it would be pretty easy to catch the Derry bus from Dublin one morning, get out in Slane, do a bit of exploring then catch one of the return buses later in the day. Or if you are driving it will be no trouble at all.
The thought of seeing U2 in Slane in August has me jumping with excitement already. This will be the ultimate concert this year, if not ever, and I really hope that you can all be there to experience it! Start saving NOW!
I'm heading back to Dundee early tomorrow morning so I'd better start packing!
Bye!
BRIAN
Old 01-08-2001, 05:14 PM   #90
Acrobat

Dia daoibh to you all!So what's new?What's
going on in here?Whiteflag,R U still in Dublin?what do you think about coming to Slane in August ? Mazz,are you still a
teacher?And where is Mermaid?what a pity she's dissapeared.
Brian,you must admit you exaggerated a bit saying you had put on "two stones"!Anyway,you
definitely need a lot of energy to create your designs in the snowy Dundee.Hope you're not freezing!Have you heard about Tullamore Dew(not whisky but a band) and if you have what's it like?
Michael,I've got some problem with e-mail but
nothing serious,will be fixed in a couple of days...so you'd better check Interference, just to know!
Has any of you listened to Sinead O'Connor's
"Faith And Courage"?I nearly forgot about her in the last few years ,however a friend gave me this CD as a Christmas gift and I have to say that I love it more and more each day,it is really,really good.
Finally,I'm eager to hear how you all saw the
New Year in ???

Bye!
AINE