Russian/Irish U2ers - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Interference Gatherings
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2000, 10:50 PM   #61
The Fly

Local Time: 01:22 AM
Guess what everyone? Looks like I really belong on this thread after all.

Just found out that I am really and truly IRISH!!!!!!

Our family has always thought that several branches of my mom's family could be of Irish descent but I finally found proof for one of them at least. My great great great great grandmother's maiden name was Shannon

I just had to share this...with everyone I know

------------------
There is but one flag...

[This message has been edited by whiteflag (edited 09-03-2000).]

Old 09-04-2000, 05:30 AM   #62
Acrobat

Congratulations,Whiteflag !
And I'm glad I've guessed right.
You should study your family tree carefully
:what if you also have a drop of Russian blood in you ? That would be an incredible
mixture !

Old 09-04-2000, 12:48 PM   #63
The Fly

Well have I got news for you! In addition to definitely being Irish from at least one branch of my mom's family I am practically half Ukrainian from my dad's family. We have a drop of Polish from that side as well.

No Russia, but close.

------------------
There is but one flag...

[This message has been edited by whiteflag (edited 09-04-2000).]
Old 09-05-2000, 02:31 AM   #64
Acrobat

REALLY ??! FANTASTIC!!!
Why didn't you say before ?
Old 09-05-2000, 08:56 AM   #65
The Fly

hi guys
My credentials for contributing to this topic are as follows (not that I need an excuse, of course, but anyway):

1) I myself am mostly Irish, very many people in New Zealand have Irish blood since so many Irish people emigrated to NZ in the 19th century. I was interested to hear about applying for an Irish passport, that's what I intend to do (my grandfather was born in Ireland, county Kerry - I *think*).

2) I am also interested in Russia. I am studying history at university and I've done a bit on Russia, mostly 20th century history. I have been following the recent stories in the news about Russia with great interest, also disbelief and sadness.

3) I work in a CD shop that has quite a big range of Celtic music, possibly the best selection in NZ. I own a few CDs, mostly pretty mainstream compilations like 'Celtic Dreams' and 'Common Ground'. was it you Brian who was recommending 'Common Ground' to people? I can never resist getting up to dance when the Cavan potholes song comes on, my sister and I dance wildly and joyously around the living room (yep, we must be Irish, the music's in the blood).

Oh and we also have a LOT of Russian music...We played one CD called 'basso profundo', the deepest male voices I've ever heard, singing religious chants. It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up - it was other-worldly, mesmerising, chilling.

4) I am currently doing a history research project on a street in my city (Wellington, capital of NZ). This involves studying the buildings, so I am learning lots about architectural styles like Free Classical and Art Deco. quite fascinating!

Anyway:
I just read through this entire thread in one sitting - it took a while! It's absolutely fascinating, I regret having ignored it for so long.
Aine - I've been waiting to hear how you got so interested by, and knowlegeable about, Ireland. Now I'm just *dying* to know...Please please put me out of my misery!!!

I regret I dont speak either Gaelic or Russian (I know a few words only of Russian. WOuld you believe they've closed the Russian department of my university??? very bad) But I know Italian, French and Maori, native language of NZ.
'ka kite ano' (goodbye in Maori)
Mermaid

------------------
No man is my enemy
My own hands imprison me
Love rescue me...
Old 09-05-2000, 11:11 AM   #66
War Child

Congratulations Whiteflag on your newfound Irish/almost Russian status. You are starting to fit the profile on this topic perfectly!!

Anyhow, I am now back in wonderful (!) Dundee after my excursions in Ireland. Unfortunately things were a little bit boring at home. I left my cashcard in Dundee by mistake and had no money to go anywhere or do anything. I live in a small town and all my friends have moved on to places like Belfast and London, so I was rather pissed off that I could't go and see them...

BUT! I did make it down to Enniscorthy Co. Wexford (after a kind loan from my Dad!) for Fleadh Ceol Na hEireann 2000... basically the final round of that singing competition I was in earlier on this year. Except its not just a singing competition. There are competitions for all fields of Traditional music as well as general partying, impromptou seisiuns on the streets and in all of the pubs and generally many thousands of people all celebrating Irish Culture and having a good time...
Enniscorthy is a beautiful little town, about 9,000pop but over the course of the weekend 150,000 people visited the festival. So you can get some idea of just how huge it is! The atmosphere does be fantastic and I had a great time. I, of course, spent much of my time in the pub (Ha!) that was the main spot for singing. I recorded 8 minidiscs full of songs and there are some great ones that I'm going to have to have a go at myself.

Apart from that there was a wonderful band playing called Dervish, who I think you would like, Aine. They are part of the current crop of Trad bands who are really pushing forward, adding new sounds and textures to the music. I think that that's what is so appealing about Irish traditional music... the fact that it is being constantly added to, developed and promoted, whereas the traditions of other countries tend to be regarded as museum pieces... fixed and unchangeable.

The thing that really heartened me about the fleadh this year was the fact that 5,000 of the competitors in the competitions were under 21. It is so incredibly popular with young people that it's future is guaranteed. I would also reccomend that area of the world to anyone for a visit. It wouldn't be the most scenic part of Ireland, but I have never met people who were as friendly and helpful as a whole as the people of Enniscorthy. Perhaps it was all for show just because the Fleadh was in town, but it seemed genuine to me! The area is also steeped in history, being the centre of the United Irishmen rebellion of 1798. There is a very poignant memorial and visitors centre in the town that explains what it was all about... Basically it was people of all religions "Protestant, Catholic and Dissenter" who united under the banner of "The United Irishmen" to fight the British. Unfortunately the ruthless Oliver Cromwell was despatched to quell the uprising. And although the united Irishmen put up a good fight they were eventually beaten, and Ireland was sentenced to years of opression as a result...

Sorry about the history lesson folks but it was very interesting even for me to find out the history of my own country!

And as for all things U2... Beautiful Day is some of the best music I have heard in a long long time!! And even the unthinkable has happened. People I know who have previously dismissed U2 as being "over the hill" etc.. have had to concede that Beautiful Day is very good... It just makes everyone feel happy for some strange reason!

Well I'm listening to it now (for the 400th time!) and I'm feeling very very happy!!! So I'll go and wash some dishes before the happiness wears off!!

Bye!
BRIAN
Old 09-05-2000, 11:20 AM   #67
War Child

Oh, and I forgot to add my welcoming embrace for Mermaid! Glad you could join us here in this (most interesting ) corner of the Feedback Forum!!! BTW, common ground is a great album, put together by a guy called Donal Lunny... possibly the most important figure in Irish traditional music this past 25 years. He has a new Best Of... album out here in Britain. I don't know if it is available anywhere else but if you can get it I heartily recommend it. It's on "Grapevine" records and it's called "Journey: The Best Of Donal Lunny"...
I think even people with no interest in Traditional Music would love this album....
Old 09-06-2000, 03:46 AM   #68
Acrobat

So many events in such a short period!
I'm so pressed for time at the moment,but I
can't help replying.
Welcome Mermaid!I'm very impressed by your epic and glad you joined this thread.But you
won't guess what impressed me even more:just yesterday I was looking through the Lemonade Stand and came across your post where you mentioned your essay about the witchcraft trials.It really stuck in my mind 'cos my best uni friend has been studying exactly the same for a long time,so when your post appeared here my first reaction was:"This is Fate..."
And you're of course welcome to join this great lot on their trip to St.Petersburg when they make it at last.
Brian,you're back!It's breath-taking what you
said,and thank you for the compliment to this
thread.

Slan!

Old 09-06-2000, 03:52 AM   #69
Acrobat

BRIAN,where are your answers to my questions
from 08.24.2000 ??!!
Shame on you,you are the only expert!
Old 09-06-2000, 08:22 AM   #70
The Fly

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I might have a look for that CD at work, Brian. And very interesting about the witchtrials coincidence, Aine - is your friend studying trials in Europe, Russia/Scandinavia, or England? My essay is just on Essex, the county in England where they had the most trials, it was known as the 'witch county'!

Today I read an account of one particular trial, which sums up the tragedy of the witch hunts - an old, ugly woman went into a pub, where she was repeatedly harassed and insulted by a drunk man until finally she cursed at him. Then when he was leaving the pub he felt sick, and accused the woman of bewitching him. She was tried and hanged soon after...

I was interested in your description of your trip Brian, but one thing caught my attention - as one who has spent *far* too much time immersed in the past! I know that Oliver Cromwell brutally put down at least one Irish rebellion. But he was around in the 1640s, so it must have been someone else in 1798...Sorry to be picky, but I'm a pedant by nature I'm afraid!
dasvidanya
(sorry about the spelling, I've only ever heard Russian said, not written - at least, not written in the Western alphabet!)

------------------
No man is my enemy
My own hands imprison me
Love rescue me...
Old 09-06-2000, 04:00 PM   #71
Acrobat

cool....BTH, I emailed you a long time ago, but I accidentally lost your response. I will be studying in Dundee this yr as an exchange student..so I found it very cool to read you guys discussing life in Scotland and the UK. Radiohead on Sept 28.....i arrrive in London on the 26th...hmm....
Old 09-06-2000, 07:36 PM   #72
War Child

Sorry Mermaid! I got a bit confused there regarding Cromwell! I was thinking of his crushing of Wexford town in 1649-50 which was also covered in the background of the story of the United Irishmen! Thanks for being "picky" and putting me right!

And hello again popsadie! I'm in Dundee right now and if you have any questions at all feel free to mail me...

bthagan@excite.co.uk

Maybe I'll see you in Dundee in October if not sooner (I think there are still tickets for Radiohead on Thursday 28th in Glasgow!!)
Old 09-07-2000, 11:13 AM   #73
War Child

Local Time: 12:22 PM
hello again to everybody in the coolest thread on the internet.

Even funnier, next week I am going to Essex, (a place called Purleigh - anyone heard of it?) so I will have to look out for all those witches (and I thought they were called essex girls).

Mazz - Edinburgh nightclub - are you referring to Espionage? I went there for three nights in a row the last weekend of the fringe. We all mainly hung around Pravda, of course the Russian themed bar....some dodgy charaters in there though (not russian, but scottish). I have to say bagpipers in the city 100m apart from each other doesn't work for me though, but the festival was great.

I am very sad today as I have just found out if I am to accept the irish citizenship I always thought I was allowed, I must revoke being an Australian. Why can't I be both????
I felt like telling the australian high commission officer "may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your nether regions", but I decided not to (probably wise as well!).
i don't know what NZ rules are on that one mermaid?

Brian - you are back in Dundee, so I don't suppose I will catch you in Dungannon.

Hope everyone is well

Old 09-09-2000, 11:09 AM   #74
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:22 PM
Wow, I disappear for 3 days and all this happens! Yay! Welcome Mermaid and anyone else who joined up...
Can't say I've contributed much but I read it at least. *G*
I had a think about my own excuses for being in this thread (besides the rather dodgy Cornwall thing)... My dad went all over the world when he was a carefree bachelor (ie: 40 or 50 years ago) and he saw a lot of what was then the USSR... he has tonnes of slides of Moscow and St. Petersburg (how long ago was it Leningrad?), the Kremlin and all that stuff... we used to have slide shows all the time but me and my brother being little then and very easily bored, we haven't had one in ages cos it's an automatic reaction to flee screaming when dad even mentions the slides. I think I might give him a heart attack next time I'm home and ask to see them, cos I want to see it all again.
My dad also apparently developed his life-long hatred of cucumbers while in Russia... he claims they were all he had to eat morning noon and night and can't bear the sight of one even now.
My best friend is also really into Russian history and literature... I think she read Tolstoy at some point... heavy stuff she told me!
Ummm... I think I had something for the Irish thing too, but bugger me if it hasn't dribbled straight out of my brain. Darn.
Oh yeah... witchcraft trials are interesting... I'm sort-of reading a book with bits of medieval history in it... but it's a bit before the witch trials time, I think the latest it goes is the 15th century.
Oliver Cromwell... anyone know the Monty Python song? *G*
I need to investigate my family history I think... I also need to have a lot of long conversations with both parents, specially dad since he's seen so much of the world. When my aunt died a couple of years ago (at the very respectable age of 83) I learned at the service all sorts of amazing things that I never even knew about her... she hitch-hiked all over New Zealand once (amazing for a single woman at that time), she worked in a munitions factory during WWII, all these things I could have heard from her, and I never even thought to ask... sigh. Well it won't happen again if I can help it. (my dad started a family late in his life so his side of the family's a lot older than mum's).
Sorry to blather on like this but I'm just zonked... and still most of the forum is ahead of me, 3 days of posts awaiting my perusal... *L*
So who knows, I might have a drop of Irish in me after all...
Old 09-10-2000, 01:57 AM   #75
The Fly

yes, I too have been away for a few days, and I'm just beginning here! daunting task...
I've heard of Purleigh, but not in connection with witches - it gets a mention in a Monty Python sketch about climbing Mt Kilimanjaro (sp?). My intimate knowledge of Monty Python should answer the question about the Oliver Cromwell song - I have it on CD. It's even funnier because I've studied Cromwell, so I 'get' it.

I'll have to check the Irish citizenship thing, too. I dont know whether I want to give up NZ citizenship, but maybe I could be technically Irish while I'm travelling and then revert to being a Kiwi when I get home!!!

see y'all later
Mermaid

------------------
No man is my enemy
My own hands imprison me
Love rescue me...