ONE Campaign Events in Texas - Join Us!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
FOR ALL ONE SUPPORTERS IN TEXAS:

In October, the ONE Campaign will be on the move in Texas!

Our first event is scheduled for next Sunday, 1 October 2006, at the Dallas AIDS Walk.

Check it out here:

http://www.aidslifewalk.org

This will be the second year that I have staffed an outreach booth for ONE at this very well attended event.

I have also invited the membership of the local ONE group to join me in staffing the booth and/or in walking in the Walk promoting ONE.

I have also posted this event on the Events page on the ONE site!

Check it out here:

http://action.one.org/dia/organizations/one/event/distributedEventSearch.jsp?distributed_event_KEY=5

I had a very good time at this event last year, but should have an even better time this year because I will be surrounded by other ONE supporters.

This will be a thread for our ONE activities throught the month of October - the month of the ONE voter postcard campaign!

So, if you're a ONE supporter in Texas PLEASE help us spread the word that we are going to have an AWESOME month during October in Texas STANDING UP AGAINST EXTREME POVERTY and for ONE.

And remember to join us next Sunday if you're in the Dallas area - it's going to be a beautiful day. :up:

:bonodrum:

Here is the original email that Josh Peck from ONE originally sent out to ONE supporters this past week introducing the ONE voter pledge drive:

Dear ONE Member:

The most important thing you can do this year to end extreme poverty is vote on November 7th.

Extreme poverty impacts almost every aspect of our nation's foreign policy and contradicts our core values. Since ONE's launch two years ago, over 2.4 million people and 100 of the world's most respected humanitarian organizations have joined together in an unprecedented alliance to help the world's poorest nations. This November is the first time that we, as ONE members, will cast ballots and add our voices to the electoral process.

Pledge to vote and talk about fighting global poverty in your community.

Sign the ONE Voter pledge — a pledge to educate yourself, your community, and to vote on Election Day. Together, we are building an organized constituency of Americans who are taking concrete steps to end extreme poverty. Over the next six weeks, ONE members will host events in their homes, places of worship, and cities, educating themselves about how America can do even more to fight AIDS and poverty around the world.

We'll use the ONE Voter Pledge to reach out to people who want to learn how to get more involved. The pledge is a tool to raise global poverty awareness in communities across the country. Your one conversation or email might seem like a small contribution. But, in concert with millions of other ONE members, a pledge to vote and talk about global poverty is an important step toward enabling the world's poorest nations to rise out of poverty.

Pledge to vote and talk about fighting global poverty in your community.

To win the fight against extreme poverty, we must make it a national priority. Please vote and make your voice and your priorities heard in the democratic process.

Thanks,

Josh Peck, ONE.org

:rockon:

Here is the post that appeared on the ONE blog today about STANDing UP against extreme poverty by attending an AIDS Walk in your area:

AIDS Walk

Posted by Kim Smith, ONE Regional Field Organizer
11:00 AM Sep 25, 2006

Around the country, ONE members are getting involved in their local AIDS Walks.

I have attended my local AIDS Walk since 1995 and have always been inspired to see so many people coming together to support those living with HIV/AIDS and in memory for those we have lost.

As well as showing support for your local HIV/AIDS organizations - by wearing ONE shirts, telling other walk attendees about ONE and by signing up new members with ONE Declaration sheets - these walks are also opportunities to increase the visibility of ONE in your community.

Last year, DC ONE formed a team of 14 volunteers for the Washington AIDS Walk. This year's DC walk is on October 7 and Yvette Castro, a DC ONE volunteer, is returning as the team's captain. She said: "Last year's walk was so much fun. We got to meet other local ONE volunteers and the walk led to lots of new opportunities and events for ONE volunteer."

If you live in the DC area you can join by going to: www.aidswalkwashington.org and registering for the "DC ONE Campaign" team.

If you are not in DC, check to see if your community is hosting an AIDS Walk. In many cities, you can join a team that ONE volunteers have already formed. If your city doesn't have a ONE team yet, consider hosting one and inviting your family and friends to join you.

--------------------------------------------------
http://action.one.org/blog/comments.jsp?blog_entry_KEY=174&t=

Hope to see some of you at the Dallas AIDS Walk this weekend. :wink:

Wish I could join you in Texas, Jamila, but I know with you at the helm this too will be another successful and well organized event. I'll be there with you ins spirit. Good luck! I'll pray for good weather to shine down upon you. :hug:

I tried to sign up for the ONE campaign things on campus at TCU but I could never find the booth :( I wonder if they're going to this....I'd go if I had a car, it sucks that I'm only 30 minutes away

Carek1230 said:
Wish I could join you in Texas, Jamila, but I know with you at the helm this too will be another successful and well organized event. I'll be there with you ins spirit. Good luck! I'll pray for good weather to shine down upon you. :hug:

Karen, your words of friendship and support always brings a smile to my face.:wink:

I thank you very much.

I'm also praying for good weather. I had to put down a decent bit of change for this booth (it wasn't free) and I just want to gather more signatures on the ONE petitions and on the new ONE voter postcards.

I'll keep y'all updated on this event and on several more down the road in the next few months.

bono_212 said:
I tried to sign up for the ONE campaign things on campus at TCU but I could never find the booth :( I wonder if they're going to this....I'd go if I had a car, it sucks that I'm only 30 minutes away

bono_212, sorry to hear about what happened with you at TCU but there is hope!

Pm me here and I can get you in contact with some other ONE supporters in your area.

Just don't give up - ONE is trying to help the world's most vunerable people and these people need all the friends that they can get.

ALWAYS FOREVER ONE, debbie

Allegra said:
I may or may not join ya. I'd love to, but with little Bryce now, it's a lot harder to get around.

Just not sure about Sunday.

If I miss ya, I hope y'all have a great day out there!

I hope to see your smiling face tomorrow, Allegra.

It would really be great to see you again.

And, of course, little Bryce. :wink:

I'll have some new ONE materials sent to me this week by our ONE Regional Organizer - new ONE stickers, glossy ONE info cards, ONE pens, more white bands and my favorite - ONE pins!

I hope that y'all will come and check us out tomorrow. :yes:

What can ONE person do to end extreme poverty?

ONE thing that you can do is to staff a ONE booth at a community event and/or festival, a local religious institution or school.

That is what I did on Sunday along with several other local ONE supporters at the Dallas (TX) AIDS Walk.

Altogether, we signed up 100 more people for ONE and spread the word on ONE to many more!

A small step for the movement to end extreme poverty in our lifetimes but every step that we take moves us forward on the journey of equality.

I encourage U to do ALL that you can to help make poverty history.

Take very good care, everyONE.

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

On 15 October, Austin will be the next community to STAND UP against extreme poverty in Texas this month!

Here are the particulars of the ONE booth that I will be staffing (along with several other ONE supporters) for the THIRD year in a row at the Austin AIDS Walk next Sunday:

Austin (TX) AIDS Walk

Austin AIDS Walk Date: Sunday, October 15, 2006 Time: 8:30 am - Registration begins 9:00 am - Opening Ceremonies 10:00 am - AIDS Walk Step-off

Austin,TX - Come and join our ONE booth at the Austin AIDS Walk and help to make poverty history! Feel free to either help staff the ONE booth or walk in the Walk for ONE. * We will have a sign up sheet at the ONE booth to show that we are STANDing UP against extreme poverty!

October 15, 2006

Address
Location: Waterloo Park (403 East 15th Street, between Trinity and Red River, Austin TX)

Hope to see some of my Interferencers there!

Allegra said:
:applaud:

Excellent job Deb!

Thank You, my friend.

We intend to do much more this coming Sunday at the Austin AIDS Walk!

Please wish us well.:wink:

TODAY IS THE DAY ! STAND UP Against Extreme Poverty Day!

I hope everyONE in the central Texas area will JOIN US today at the Austin AIDS Walk - rain or shine.

If it rains, the street festival will move inside the parking garage next to Waterloo park.

So there's no excuse why you shouldn't be there. :wink:

I'll give y'all an update tomorrow about the success of ONE at this year's Austin AIDS Walk.

Dear Debbie,

Only a few hours until your ONE house party and the Global Day of Action! Thank you for standing up against poverty with the ONE Campaign!

Please see below the checklist of preparations for your party. At the end of the email, you will find instructions for your sneak preview viewing of the ONE Vote TV Spot. You will need a PC (it will not work on a Apple) and you must be using Windows XP and Internet Explorer. You will only be able to view the video five times.

The ONE House Party Checklist:

Before the Party:

Invite your friends and family! Let everyone know where to be and when.

Go to the House Party Resource Center and print out and make copies of the ONE fact sheets, the ONE Voter Pledge, and the information on calling candidates’ offices.

Look-up information to call your candidates, found also at the House Party Resource Center.

Call all your candidates’ offices in advance of your party and ask each for:

* A spokesperson to speak at your house party or to be available by phone
* A statement on his or her position on global poverty and HIV/AIDS
* If all else fails, politely let each campaign know that voters will be calling the office on Sunday to learn more about the candidate’s position.

During the Party:

Use the ONE fact sheets and discuss extreme poverty, global AIDS and voting.

Watch a sneak preview of ONE Vote TV Spot (See instructions at the end of this email.)

Call your candidates’ offices.

Stand-Up Against Poverty (literally.)

Sign the ONE Voter Pledge.

Take a picture or video that you can send to us.

After the Party:

Be counted! Go to our after party review form and let us know information such as: how many people stood up against poverty at your party, how many people signed the ONE Voter Pledge, and how your candidates’ offices responded to your questions.

Keep spreading the word and fighting poverty. Use the "What’s Next?" sheet from the House Party Kit for suggestions.

Continue to follow-up with candidates’ offices with calls and emails. Request that they post their plans to fight global poverty on their websites.

If you have any questions, please check out our House Party Toolkit found at the House Party Resource Center the or send us an email at giveyourtime@data.org

Josh Peck, ONE.org: bonodrum:

We had a TREMENDOUS time yesterday at the Austin AIDS Walk!

We had a smaller group of volunteers than last year (probably because of the rain in our area) but we were as successful as last year in signing people up on ONE Voter pledge sheets and ONE petitions. :wink:

In total, we signed up nearly 300 people to ONE in the span of less than two hours.

That was an AWESOME response from the people of Austin to the movement to make poverty history.

Our sign ups also doubled as participants in the international STAND UP activities around the world.

Tomorrow, on the campus of the University of Texas we will be hosting a ONE booth for International Whiteband Day on the main campus mall. :up:

And then, at 7:00 pm tomorrow night, we will gather in the main campus mall area and have a short program on extreme poverty and what we can do to end it.

After that, we will gather in a circle and make a white band of light with our flashlights to end our observance of the third International Whiteband Day.

If you're in the area, please feel free to join us. :yes:

After my working behind the scenes for two months to make sure it became a reality,

Austin TX was declared a "City of ONE" for the month of October 2006!

This became a reality on 10 October 2006.

Austin is now in a select group of cities around the USA to have recognized ONE and the volunteers which make it as effective as possible for the world's poorest people.

:applaud:

I just wanted y'all to know. I feel very good about this.

It looks beautiful in its frame. :wink:

Thanks once more for all your support, my friend.

It really means a lot to me, Allegra.

Take very good care of yourself and your family. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom